IGN reviews Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams

CAG 79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Link

9.0 Presentation

CG cutscenes and in-game narratives benefit from excellent direction and the interface, load times, and story itself are all of a tremendous quality.

9.0 Graphics
The character designs reinvigorate the series with a heavier dose of fantasy and the game's entire artistic approach is outstanding. Its technical prowess is among the PS2 elite as well.

8.0 Sound
Japanese and English voice tracks are great for casual gamers and purists alike, while the soundtrack and audio effects are all well above the norm.

9.0 Gameplay
You won't be fighting the smartest enemies in the world (and some of the puzzles can be tedious) but the combat is fantastic and the challenge is just right. Five customizable badass characters!

8.0 Lasting Appeal
For an action game, Dawn of Dreams is meaty with 18-24 hours worth of gameplay, various hidden costumes, multiple difficulty settings, unique "Valor" challenges and 500 mini-battles.

OVERALL:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to admit that I have not been paying any interest in this game being how bad the last one was. Sounds like this one might be worth a look though.

How bad the last one was?!?! Blasphemy. Onimusha is the best original series to come out of the PS2.

Awesome review, but I planned on buying it anyway. :D

I loved Onimusha 2 and 3, but I'll probably wait for a price drop on this one since there's too much other stuff coming out in March I want

[quote name='rodeojones903']How bad the last one was?!?! Blasphemy. Onimusha is the best original series to come out of the PS2.

Awesome review, but I planned on buying it anyway. :D[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I loved the last Onimusha game...I like all three of them a lot in fact.

[quote name='rodeojones903']How bad the last one was?!?! Blasphemy. Onimusha is the best original series to come out of the PS2.

Awesome review, but I planned on buying it anyway. :D[/QUOTE]

as someone else said in their review of the Japanese version of Oni 4-- Time Travel + Jean Reno = jumped the shark
i agree...but the little fairy that guides jean reno pissed me off the most :lol:
8.0 Lasting Appeal
For an action game, Dawn of Dreams is meaty with 18-24 hours worth of gameplay, various hidden costumes, multiple difficulty settings, unique "Valor" challenges and 500 mini-battles.

...sounds more like a 9-10 to me. guess they needed an extra $100 for the 9. ;)

can't wait for this game!

I'm probably going to buy this upon release even though I have no time for it. Still, I knew this game was going to be awesome.

[quote name='ZForce']I loved Onimusha 2 and 3, but I'll probably wait for a price drop on this one since there's too much other stuff coming out in March I want[/QUOTE]

Agree... the rest of the series has seen major price drops, not sure if this one will be the one to break the mold.

I love the Onimusha series, but I'm not paying $50 after Onimusha 3 dropped to $15 in less than six months or so. Great games though.

good to see this got such a good review. when I saw previews for this in EGM a while back, I was not sure what to think of it all.

I'll probably get this later on, as most people have mentioned, when it's cheaper. Heck, I still have Onimusha 3 to play still

I would be getting this sooner or later but I also lack cash and time. Also my PS2 needs fixing. Looks like this I may play this in the summer.

[quote name='strebor']I love the Onimusha series, but I'm not paying $50 after Onimusha 3 dropped to $15 in less than six months or so. Great games though.[/QUOTE]

it's launching at $40 but that's a good point.

I basically played through the first three in one sitting each this past summer, and I fully intend on playing them all again. The only PS2 series that could possibly rival this one is Ratchet & Clank.
I'll probably break down and buy this at launch, but at the very least I'll rent it for a weekend. Like others have said, it'll probably be at the $10-15 range by early fall.

only apparent disappointment so far- still no jumping :\

I really liked that you could jump in genji, but oh well.

Onimusha 3 jumped the shark? It was different, but had many major improvements and was probably the best from the first three. Actually, each successive game seems to improve upon its predecessor.

[quote name='ayolykewhoa']Onimusha 3 jumped the shark? It was different, but had many major improvements and was probably the best from the first three. Actually, each successive game seems to improve upon its predecessor.[/QUOTE]

story-wise, that is.

bread's done
Back