I'm addicted to Goldeneye...

FunkSoulBrother

CAGiversary!
Probably the best thing I've accomplished this whole summer was finally beating all the missions of Goldeneye 007 for the N64 on 00 Agent, but now I'm craving for more. Of course I have Perfect Dark and it's an excellent game, but you can only play the same thing so many times. Those are basically the only console FPS games I have, but they are some of the best I've ever played. This is where I want you guys to help me.

I need recommendations for some great FPS games. old or new (I prefer console since I'm looking for a game that plays similar to Goldeneye, but PC will do just fine). Feel free to recommend games from any console, since I have most of the major ones besides Xbox. Also, I need some opinions on these games I've been looking into:

Timesplitters 1 and 2 (PS2) - From the creators of Goldeneye and the first one is only $5 used at EB, but is the game any good? You tell me!

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 (PC) - I downloaded the demo for part one today and it was great, plus both games are cheap. I'll probably try to find these.

The World is Not Enough (N64) - I don't know much about this game, so I need some opinions on this one.

Turok Series (N64) - Most of the games received good reviews.

Quake 2 (N64) - Saw this one for $5 at Gamestop B&M.

Please tell me if any of the games I've listed above are any good, or recommend me something better. Thanks a lot.

I reccomend TS2. Really cheap, great multiplayer. It's fun to play through the game with a friend.

Ah yes the memories of Goldeneye. One of the best games ever IMO. I'd say Timesplitters 2 is the closest to it.

Sorry to burst your bubble man - but it doesn't get any better than Golden Eye.

Though TS is from the same guys - it just doesn't work. No FPS on console hold up to what Golden Eye offered. :whistle2:/

I was playing it last night, in fact...

You haven't completed everything until you've unlocked all of the cheats. And not by entering those stupid codes, either. I'm talking about completing the missions in the time given. I especially loved getting the Invincibility cheat; that one took days of practice and a little bit of luck. Getting from the bathroom to Trevalyn on 00 Agent mode in 2:05 minutes while successfully completing all objectives was one of my toughest gaming moments ever. I remember practicing day and night finding the best strategy and mastering the strafe run; when I did it, I was very proud of myself. 8)

Nothing compares to Goldeneye's sheer greatness.

I never understood the craze behind Golden eye...

Anyway, Here are some must own pc fps's:

NOLF
NOLF 2: A spy in H.A.R.M.S. way
Deus Ex
Thief: The dark project
Thief: The metal Age
UT 200X
Half Life
Return to Caslte Wolfenstein

For console don't bother getting TS1 just get TS2 and TS3 when it comes out.

[quote name='Sartori']Sorry to burst your bubble man - but it doesn't get any better than Golden Eye.

Though TS is from the same guys - it just doesn't work. No FPS on console hold up to what Golden Eye offered. :whistle2:/

I was playing it last night, in fact...[/quote]

Nostalgia run rampant is a horrible thing. Nightfire eclipsed Goldeneye in every way. EoN even moreso, though it's not first person...

I beat it all on 00 agent and got all the cheats back in the day. You will most likely love NOLF 1+2 and TS 1+2 after just coming off goldeneye.

[quote name='yellowaznboy']You haven't completed everything until you've unlocked all of the cheats. And not by entering those stupid codes, either. I'm talking about completing the missions in the time given. I especially loved getting the Invincibility cheat; that one took days of practice and a little bit of luck. Getting from the bathroom to Trevalyn on 00 Agent mode in 2:05 minutes while successfully completing all objectives was one of my toughest gaming moments ever. I remember practicing day and night finding the best strategy and mastering the strafe run; when I did it, I was very proud of myself. 8)

Nothing compares to Goldeneye's sheer greatness.[/quote]

Yeah, I unlocked all of the Agent and Secret Agent cheats, all I have left are some of the 00 Agent ones (including Invincibility :shock: ). I'm taking a little break from the game for now since I've recently ordered Pokemon Puzzle League (N64) and Aggressive Inline (PS2) from EB. Once those games bore me to death, I'll eventually go back to Goldeneye, as usual.

[quote name='Scrubking']I never understood the craze behind Golden eye...

Anyway, Here are some must own pc fps's:

NOLF
NOLF 2: A spy in H.A.R.M.S. way
Deus Ex
Thief: The dark project
Thief: The metal Age
UT 200X
Half Life
Return to Caslte Wolfenstein

For console don't bother getting TS1 just get TS2 and TS3 when it comes out.[/quote]

Thanks for the PC recommendations, now I'll be sure to check out NOLF. I already have Deus Ex, Half-Life (+ expansions), and Return to Castle Wolfenstein and they are all great.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Timesplitters 3 is going to be awesome. A console FPS that allows you to play user made maps= great experience[/quote]

Also, I assume it won't require the knowledge needed to make a Half-Life map, for example, so any normal person can make a decent map without having to know about making 3D-graphics and working with complex programs.

[quote name='FunkSoulBrother'][quote name='CaseyRyback']Timesplitters 3 is going to be awesome. A console FPS that allows you to play user made maps= great experience[/quote]

Also, I assume it won't require the knowledge needed to make a Half-Life map, for example, so any normal person can make a decent map without having to know about making 3D-graphics and working with complex programs.[/quote]

It's probably going to be just like TS2 but with improvements - not to mention that it's on a console so don't expect it to be that complicated.

I'm waiting for Half-Life 2 (PC) and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent.

(I found this old post while looking for posts on HL2 actually...)

[quote name='XboxMaster']I was going to say Halo until I say that you have no Xbox, so I'll recommend Red Faction.[/quote]

You recommend Halo...no way. :D I'll second that Red Faction vote.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Sartori']Sorry to burst your bubble man - but it doesn't get any better than Golden Eye.

Nostalgia run rampant is a horrible thing. Nightfire eclipsed Goldeneye in every way. EoN even moreso, though it's not first person...[/quote]

Neither Nightfire nor EoN eclipsed Goldeneye. They are better looking, but the gameplay just doesn't hold up. I know that there is some nostalgia in that statement, but I still play Goldeneye and I don't still play either Nightfire or EoN. There are a lot of games that I thought were good because of nostalgia, and then when I went back and played them and realized they suck given today's standards. Goldeneye is not one of them.

[quote name='Sartori']Sorry to burst your bubble man - but it doesn't get any better than Golden Eye.

You couldnt be more right, that is my favorite game ever made. It was the only game I had when the 64 came out. I havent been beat on multiplayer in forever most of my friends will not play against me. I hope the new one is going to be as good.

[quote name='jmcc']

Nostalgia run rampant is a horrible thing. Nightfire eclipsed Goldeneye in every way. EoN even moreso, though it's not first person...[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Nightfire blew ass! Sorry but Goldeneye is the best Bond game to date...never trust EA with a name...

[quote name='spyhunterk19']Are you kidding me? Nightfire blew ass! Sorry but Goldeneye is the best Bond game to date...never trust EA with a name...[/quote]

I was actually planning to buy Nightfire because I was craving a cheapass FPS to tide me over until Halo 2. What was exactly so ass-blowing about it? Does it have the same auto-center control scheme as Goldeneye or TS?

I love Red Faction. That is one of the funnest FPS that I have played in awhile. TimeSplitters is just awesome. It is so much fun trying to get the gold and platinum medals. For some real cheap FPS, play Serious Sam Next Encounter. That game was strangely satisfying.

If you had a Xbox I would recommend Deus Ex: Invisible War, The Chronicles of Riddick (i just got it my self after renting it like 3 times), and a couple others.

[quote name='FunkSoulBrother']The World is Not Enough (N64) - I don't know much about this game, so I need some opinions on this one.[/quote]

Granted it's been a while, but I remember liking the single player game of TWINE just as much as Goldeneye. It has the same feel and improved graphics (w/ the Expansion Pak).

If you can find a good deal on it, definately pick it up.

The nostalgia I have for Goldeneye is contained in some of the greatest moments of my life, let alone gaming.
My god I would marry that game if I could.

PS. Pick up Timesplitters 2.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='spyhunterk19']Are you kidding me? Nightfire blew ass! Sorry but Goldeneye is the best Bond game to date...never trust EA with a name...[/quote]

I was actually planning to buy Nightfire because I was craving a cheapass FPS to tide me over until Halo 2. What was exactly so ass-blowing about it? Does it have the same auto-center control scheme as Goldeneye or TS?[/quote]

Nothing sucks about Nightfire. It's better than Goldeneye in every way, but since it's not one of the first decent console FPSs like Goldeneye was it gets looked down on (and as such, bitched about furiously) by Goldeneye fanboys.

You can probably get both Nightfire and EoN for around 30 now that EoN is going greatest/platinum hit. And you should. Both are hella fun.

No, Nightfire doesn't have the goofy lookspringing controls of TS (I don't remember if Goldeneye did or not.)

Kind of off topic, but does anyone else crave the laptop gun that was in Perfect Dark? Why don't other FPS have a weapon like this?

[quote name='The Gifuto']Kind of off topic, but does anyone else crave the laptop gun that was in Perfect Dark? Why don't other FPS shooters have a weapon like this?[/quote]

That gun was awsome I like to set it up in a room and use the farsite gun.

Wow, this is a pretty old topic of mine, but it's nice to see that there's still some discussion going on. I still haven't picked up Timesplitters because I have too many games to play right now, but it's definitely one of my top priorities. Also, I have Red Faction for the PC and it's a great game, but I never had a chance to finish it.

[quote name='yellowaznboy']You haven't completed everything until you've unlocked all of the cheats. And not by entering those stupid codes, either. I'm talking about completing the missions in the time given. I especially loved getting the Invincibility cheat; that one took days of practice and a little bit of luck. Getting from the bathroom to Trevalyn on 00 Agent mode in 2:05 minutes while successfully completing all objectives was one of my toughest gaming moments ever. I remember practicing day and night finding the best strategy and mastering the strafe run; when I did it, I was very proud of myself. 8)

Nothing compares to Goldeneye's sheer greatness.[/quote]

Yeah I spent countless times trying to beat that, definitely one of my most frustrating gaming moments, if a door didn't open right, or one of the scientists was in the wrong place, restart the level. I still think they mixed up the times for this level and the level following it. The next level could easily be beaten in the time given and had a lower difficulty

Nothing sucks about Nightfire. It's better than Goldeneye in every way

I disagree. GoldenEye had much better level design (both single and multi-player) IMHO.

Also Nightfire has a much shorter single player experience.

[quote name='int80h']

I disagree. GoldenEye had much better level design (both single and multi-player) IMHO.

Also Nightfire has a much shorter single player experience.[/quote]

[-o<

Finally someone.....ok, but seriosly....Anyone who thinks that nightfire is even close to the standards of Goldeneye probably never played goldeneye at the time of its release. It was, and still is, one of the greatest FPS ever. Nightfire just isn't fun. The controls blow, the level sucks, and to tell you the truth the story sucks. EA is the worst company IMO

I liked Red Faction 1 *and* 2. I don't know why Red Faction 2 wasn't more well recieved, but it had some great moments!

[quote name='spyhunterk19'][quote name='int80h']

[-o<

Finally someone.....ok, but seriosly....Anyone who thinks that nightfire is even close to the standards of Goldeneye probably never played goldeneye at the time of its release. It was, and still is, one of the greatest FPS ever. Nightfire just isn't fun. The controls blow, the level sucks, and to tell you the truth the story sucks. EA is the worst company IMO[/quote]

I had Goldeneye the day it was out. It's not one of the greatest FPSs ever. It's a good console FPS, but to call it one of the greatest ever is a slap in the face of far superior titles like Half-Life. And when I said Nightfire is superior in every way I meant every way. The control scheme is the same as Goldeneye, but with this generation's superior gamepads. The levels in Goldeneye are Wolfenstein 3D to Nightfire's Doom and the stories can't be compared, really, since one's original and one is a rehash of a middling Bond movie. As for EA, there's where I'd imagine your dislike of the game REALLY stems from. In fact, it sort of ruins your whole argument, since it shows nothing by bias towards the company carrying over to the game.

[quote name='spyhunterk19'][quote name='int80h']

[-o<

Finally someone.....ok, but seriosly....Anyone who thinks that nightfire is even close to the standards of Goldeneye probably never played goldeneye at the time of its release. It was, and still is, one of the greatest FPS ever. Nightfire just isn't fun. The controls blow, the level sucks, and to tell you the truth the story sucks. EA is the worst company IMO[/quote]

I used to also think that Goldeneye was the best FPS, but now I think Halo beats it. Yes, I own Goldeneye, and I've played many, many times and I think it's a top-notch, fun-ass game. But Halo is more fun, IMO. I like the controls better on Halo and I also have such a fun time whenever I play multiplayer on Halo. I've also had a great time on Goldeneye in the mulitplayer department as I've played countless hours with my cousins when I used to only have the PS2. I know you're probably thinking I'm just saying this because I like Xbox, but it's more like vice versa. I big part of my love for Xbox was caused by Halo, and, IMO, it's the best FPS there is.

bread's done
Back