I'm considering selling my car and getting a Vespa/Piaggio. Any current owners?

Liquid 2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
The way I see it is:

--Pros
-60+ miles to the gallon (and that's being conservative)
-$66 parking permit on campus, as opposed to $250/$800 for a car
-Cheaper insurance (right?)
-Low/no maintenance
-I'll be up ~$2500 after selling my car and buying the Vespa

--Cons
-RAIN/WIND (any advice on how to deal with nasty weather on a scooter?)
-I have to get a Class M license
-Wrecks are more dangerous

So, any one have any advice as to why I should or shouldn't get one?

How much stuff can they store?
How easy is it to learn to drive one (to the point that I can get on the highway safely)?
What other things should I know/ask?
What are the laws regarding parking on sidewalks?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrchainsaw']Do it! Vespas are sweet and all the ladies will want you.[/QUOTE]Do you own one, and can you answer any of my questions?

[quote name='Danil ACE']Get either a 250cc or a 600cc motorcycle. Scooters are for chicks.[/QUOTE]

Nah.

Guile posted almost this exact thread a few months ago

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181427&highlight=Vespa

[quote name='Liquid 2']
--Cons
-RAIN/WIND (any advice on how to deal with nasty weather on a scooter?)[/QUOTE]

It's going to be the same way you deal with nasty weather on a motorcycle. Suck it up and either get a full face helmet/clip on shield and/or a rainsuit.

[quote name='Liquid 2']How easy is it to learn to drive one (to the point that I can get on the highway safely)?[/QUOTE]

You won't be going on to the highway with a Vespa.

[quote name='Liquid 2']
What are the laws regarding parking on sidewalks?[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like my town, you can't.

[quote name='Sporadic']Guile posted almost this exact thread a few months ago

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181427&highlight=Vespa

It's going to be the same way you deal with nasty weather on a motorcycle. Suck it up and either get a full face helmet/clip on shield and/or a rainsuit.

You won't be going on to the highway with a Vespa. =p

If it's anything like my town, you can't.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to go through that thread; thanks.

I didn't know how motorcyclists dealt with the weather either.

Some models can get past 60 mph. Why couldn't I get on the highway? It's pretty essential for my needs.

Someone in that thread said that can park on the sidewalk; I guess I'll have to find out for my city.

Looked up Texas law for you, and it seems like so long as the engine is more than 40 cubic centimeters, you are legally allowed to enter the highways. You'll just need to be exceedingly careful. I would also check and make sure that my five second research is correct.

Lack of highway driving (be it legality or just the safety risk) stopped me from ever seriously considering one--weather too.

I could see it as a substitue for a car if I lived in a city, but I'd still want a car for bad weather days and for times I needed to get out of the city or had to drive on a highway etc. But still, just not practical to me, I'll probably just always stick to decent MPG cars until alternative fuel cars are out.

But more power to people willing to switch to one!

[quote name='strummerbs']Looked up Texas law for you, and it seems like so long as the engine is more than 40 cubic centimeters, you are legally allowed to enter the highways. You'll just need to be exceedingly careful. I would also check and make sure that my five second research is correct.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks. :)

I guess highways aren't essential, but they're a lot more convenient than other roads filled with stop lights.
I really just want the option; I won't be going too far out of downtown, but I want to be able to should I need to for whatever reason.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Lack of highway driving (be it legality or just the safety risk) stopped me from ever seriously considering one--weather too.

I could see it as a substitue for a car if I lived in a city, but I'd still want a car for bad weather days and for times I needed to get out of the city or had to drive on a highway etc. But still, just not practical to me, I'll probably just always stick to decent MPG cars until alternative fuel cars are out.

But more power to people willing to switch to one![/QUOTE]Yeah, I'll be living on campus come August twenty-something (I should really know my move in date...), but like I said, I do want the option of highway driving.
I can deal with the weather; winters in Texas aren't nearly as bad as in some places. Heat will stink, but whatever, I'll live.

[quote name='Liquid 2']2 seats, budge. Plenty of room for the ladies. :cool:[/quote]

Not your kind of ladies.

Sorry, i had to do it. =D

[quote name='Liquid 2']I didn't know how motorcyclists dealt with the weather either.[/QUOTE]

Oh in that case

whitehelmetswt7.jpg

the one on the left is a full faced helmet and the one on the right is a open faced helmet. Full faced helmets have a built in shield while most open faced helmets have a clip on shield attachment you can get. Even with a shield, it's a bitch to ride in the rain.

A rain suit isn't a necessity but it's very nice since your clothes won't get wet at all and the jacket will protect your arms.

I have this one and it's kept me dry in some horrible storms.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/...4302511639&bmUID=1217906989750&bmLocale=en_US

[quote name='Liquid 2']What about a Piaggio? I was looking at their site, and they seem more powerful.[/QUOTE]

Really, you would be better off just buying a motorcycle and taking a riding course (call your local Harley shop and see if they have Rider's Edge)

http://www.ridersedge.com/

You would be able to get a used Sportster for the same (if not less) than a Piaggio.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Do you own one, and can you answer any of my questions?[/quote]
No but I've always wanted one. I have no interest in getting a car as long as I live in an urban area. Right now a bicycle and my two feet are my only means of transportation but some day I'll get a nice vintage Vespa. Someday...

Also, one thing I've always wondered about them is how often are they stolen? I mean, they seem like they wouldn't weigh too much and a couple of guys could easily load one into the bed of a pickup.

Actually, I've been thinking about getting a bike as well.

I really liked the way the Piaggio Mp3s look, and something about them just says 'neat transportation'. As opposed to a Harley, which seems like buying into a lifestyle I don't want.

There's something about Harleys that I just don't... like? I'm not sure why. Something about the combination of the image they cultivate for themselves, and the people who purposefully make them louder than stock.

OP, if you take a look around, you'll probably find lots of Motorcycle Safety courses around your area. That's what I'm planning on doing. This way you can get used to riding a smaller motorcycle, learn techniques, etc. Especially important if you are considering an MP3, as due to engine size, they can fall under Motorcycle licensing laws.

[quote name='Gourd']As opposed to a Harley, which seems like buying into a lifestyle I don't want.

There's something about Harleys that I just don't... like? I'm not sure why. Something about the combination of the image they cultivate for themselves, and the people who purposefully make them louder than stock.[/QUOTE]

What?

Believe it or now, most of the people who ride Harleys nowadays are older middle class people and not everybody puts louder pipes on their bikes. That's like saying you won't buy a Mitsubishi Eclipse because you don't want to buy into the 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS lifestyle and because some people like to put crazy sound systems into them.

Buying a harley doesn't mean that you have to grow a beard, get tattoos, join HOG and go to all of the bike events.

My dad would be considered your typical biker (riding since the late 60s, shaved head, large goatee, blue jeans/t-shirt, louder than loud pipes) and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever run into. In fact, most of the bikers I've hung out with are very nice/fun people.

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but going over about 40mph on a scooter is pretty dangerous. The tires on scooters are very thin when compared to motorcycle or car tires and aren't very stable at high speeds.

[quote name='Sporadic']What?

Believe it or now, most of the people who ride Harleys nowadays are older middle class people and not everybody puts louder pipes on their bikes. That's like saying you won't buy a Mitsubishi Eclipse because you don't want to buy into the 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS lifestyle and because some people like to put crazy sound systems into them.[/quote]

I don't like the way the COMPANY portrays itself. Just today a Harley trailer went by me on the road with 'Harley Davidson: If you have to ask, you'd never understand,' on it. The company does cultivate a certain image of freedom and owning the road and being a bad ass that I just don't want to buy into.

Have you seen this commercial?

Biker Claus

How about this one?

Cheater

Can you point to me a movie with Harleys in it that is like Italian Vacation? Or are they all action flicks?

THERE IS a certain cachet and image that the company wants and knows sells. Particularly to middle age guys.

Every year here in Austin, there's a huge biker convention. So I'm familiar with the people. And the Upper Middle Class Median Income of 55k Caucasian Suburbanites is another lifestyle that I don't want to buy into.

Lastly, unnecessary noise drives me bonkers, and around here it's generally the guys with tricked out Harleys that are loud. Not the folks with BMW tough duty bikes, or the squids on superbikes.

It's not that I think the image is negative. It just isn't one I don't want to buy into. Not for something where I can probably get an experience I will enjoy /without/ the image.

I bought a Vespa Grande moped a couple months back and have been pretty pleased so far:

If it rains i drive my car, i only paid $500 for the moped and in Ohio you don't need insurance or a motorcycle license for a moped (you do for a scooter though).

My moped only goes 20mph but even on a scooter that does the speed limit id be afraid to hit the highways. I've been run off the road driving small cars before because people couldnt see me.

Learning to ride is easy, it's like a bike with a throttle.

Storage doesn't exist.

I bought my moped so i could save a little gas, even though my car gets 40MPG the moped blows it away with 100+ (and i always thought they were cool in a goofy sort of way). I wouldn't consider replacing my car with it though. Sometimes it's just handy to have a vehicle with a roof and storage space.

And the people who think mopeds and scooters are gay/stupid need to pull their heads out of their asses, it's just another form of transportation (and the way people bitch about gas prices you'd think it would be a more popular one).

make no mistake, if you buy a Vespa/$$$gio, you are buying into an image. true, not the tough guy image or the "affluent" middle class. Rather, you are buying into the image of urbane urbanite, trendy artiste, the "I'm different"... like every one else group.
and i'm not bagging on people that have scooters. i'm just saying, everything money can buy has some sort of stereotyped image attached to it.
around where I live, the rich white kids that want to feel poor (by living where I do) drive Vespas, or 250cc triumphs - all vintage, of course.

[quote name='heironymous']make no mistake, if you buy a Vespa/$$$gio, you are buying into an image. true, not the tough guy image or the "affluent" middle class. Rather, you are buying into the image of urbane urbanite, trendy artiste, the "I'm different"... like every one else group.
and i'm not bagging on people that have scooters. i'm just saying, everything money can buy has some sort of stereotyped image attached to it.
around where I live, the rich white kids that want to feel poor (by living where I do) drive Vespas, or 250cc triumphs - all vintage, of course.[/quote]

I have to agree. Driving a scooter around shows faster than anything else that you don't have any scratch.

I'd try to scrounge enough $ to keep your car and buy a Honda Ruckus. Drive the scooter around for commutes and the car for chicks and groceries/other purchases (and rain I guess).

Plus you can't bang a hot chick on a scooter... or get a hot chick on a scooter.

Which university are you going to Liquid 2?

And Vespas are really easy to drive (if you can ride a bike, it doesn't take much more skill to ride a Vespa). I drove around India with my Uncle's scooter when in India (when I was 8).

Don't do it! Brak will make fun of you like he did to me when I stated I was interested in one. :oops:

I'd get one. It'd be good for your college life.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I'll have to go through that thread; thanks.

I didn't know how motorcyclists dealt with the weather either.

Some models can get past 60 mph. Why couldn't I get on the highway? It's pretty essential for my needs.

Someone in that thread said that can park on the sidewalk; I guess I'll have to find out for my city.[/quote]

Some do go up to 60, and they are not allowed on the highway. Here they work like motorcycles except you don't need a licence (well... something you can get in a day isn't a licence) and that only teens drive them waiting to get their car (you can drive them at 14!).

To be honest everytime an adult is spotted on a $$$gio someone must laugh. Do not buy this unless your ego can take a beating.

One thing I didn't think to ask. Is your car paid off?

If so, can you afford a scooter without selling it? If so, then go for the best of both worlds by keeping the car for times you need to go on the highway, shitty weather etc, and use the higher MPG scooter for everyday driving on nice days.

Best of both worlds, assuming you can afford it.

I was gonna recommend a Bajaj Chetak, but for whatever dumbass reason, they're not making them any longer.

At the risk of putting myself into the club of people who are so insipidly stupid as to say "f-a-g-g-i-o" and think they're being clever or witty, Vespas are indeed about presence/style. If you're budget minded, there are vastly better scooters for much lower prices. Not that a Vespa is bad at all, but a better economic decision would include a Genuine, for example.

[quote name='Gourd']Every year here in Austin, there's a huge biker convention.[/QUOTE]Hey, another Austinite. :)

[quote name='JDN169']My moped only goes 20mph but even on a scooter that does the speed limit id be afraid to hit the highways. I've been run off the road driving small cars before because people couldnt see me.

Learning to ride is easy, it's like a bike with a throttle.

Storage doesn't exist.

I bought my moped so i could save a little gas, even though my car gets 40MPG the moped blows it away with 100+ (and i always thought they were cool in a goofy sort of way). I wouldn't consider replacing my car with it though. Sometimes it's just handy to have a vehicle with a roof and storage space.[/QUOTE]I'm beginning to think highways aren't the best idea for a scooter like y'all are saying, but I'd still want more than 20 mph.

Sucks about the storage.

[quote name='ananag112']Which university are you going to Liquid 2? [/QUOTE]University of Texas.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']To be honest everytime an adult is spotted on a $$$gio someone must laugh. Do not buy this unless your ego can take a beating.[/QUOTE]I don't give a shit about what someone who calls a scooter a "$$$gio" thinks. :whistle2:|

[quote name='dmaul1114']One thing I didn't think to ask. Is your car paid off?

If so, can you afford a scooter without selling it? If so, then go for the best of both worlds by keeping the car for times you need to go on the highway, shitty weather etc, and use the higher MPG scooter for everyday driving on nice days.

Best of both worlds, assuming you can afford it.[/QUOTE]It is, but I can't have both, what with college expenses ad all.

[quote name='mykevermin']I was gonna recommend a Bajaj Chetak, but for whatever dumbass reason, they're not making them any longer.

At the risk of putting myself into the club of people who are so insipidly stupid as to say "f-a-g-g-i-o" and think they're being clever or witty, Vespas are indeed about presence/style. If you're budget minded, there are vastly better scooters for much lower prices. Not that a Vespa is bad at all, but a better economic decision would include a Genuine, for example.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the heads up. A cheaper model would indeed be nice.

[quote name='Liquid 2']
I don't give a shit about what someone who calls a scooter a "$$$gio" thinks. :whistle2:|
[/quote]

That's what it's called in GTA ;)

Never did own one, But I heard you can get some sick air on these suckers. Just notify your local PD You'll be setting up a ramp and you should be good to go! That is why you want one?

I don't know what UT area is like but here in UCF area people drive fucking batshit crazy and I wouldn't trust my safety on a scooter.

Ah. I asked because I was considering University of Texas or Texas A&M for grad school.

Just get the Vespa.

I have a 2003 Piaggio LT150, it is essentially a Vespa ET2 with a plastic body instead of metal. I love this thing and have taken it on the highway occasionally as it will go up to 65mph. Wouldn't recommend the highway though, kinda sketchy. Anyway I live in Northern NH, so weather can be a bother, so I still have a cheap car for the rain and winter. I do ride it primarily for 6 months out of the year to get to work and around. I have a topcase on the back which stores a few things, and I always just wear a backpack for more storage and carry a rain/windbreaker in case it rains. When it does rain, I just slow down, suck it up, and get wet. If you live somewhere warm, you would be doing yourself a big favor to get a nice scooter. :lol:

bread's done
Back