I'm considering trading my 360 for a PS3...

DJSteel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm not looking for a flaming or attacking. I'm considering this. I'm tired of the MS micro transactions and the over pricing of DLC content. I'm looking into possibly trading for a PS3.. I want to know if the PS3 owners are happy and how the online service is....

TIA

I can't really recommend the PS3 right now.

There's no microtransactions that I know of, but there is not many games to even have DLC.

There's a lot more to play on the 360 honestly.
The future is bright for the PS3 though, lots of nice games in the pipeline.

I would trade it in if you are tired of the 360 library, want a few new games, and want to watch a lot of Blu-Ray movies.
That's if you have an HDTV.

If you're looking to avoid dlc/microtransactions, I'd say stick with Xbox/PS2/GC. PS3 doesn't have much, but that's temporary, I'm sure. Right now, I think Sonic has DLC (dunno if you have to pay for it or not). Eventually, I'm sure Oblivion will get Shivering Isles.

I am a big fan of my PS3 thus far, save for being unable to play Guitar Hero. I just can't recommend it if you want to avoid DLC. I think that's impossible.

You do realize that Sony is going to do the microtransaction thing, too? The 360 is better right now simply because it has many more games to choose from and a better online service. Unless you're looking for a particular exclusive, you should probably hold off for a bit.

[quote name='dallow']Everyone who doesn't own one seems to hate the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Fixed for you :p.

I own all 3 consoles and I despise microsoft and their microtransactions tactics. I haven't even turned on my 360 for like a year now, the only games i'll get are the ones that don't come to the PS3 and nothing has really interested me lately.

Right now there aren't that many great PS3 games, neither were there on the 360 when it launched. Just ask yourself what upcoming games on both systems you'd like. I'll probably get Lair, for sure i'll get Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and I really can't wait to get Heavenly Sword.

Edit : If you do trade in, I suggest you do it before your warranty expires and you get the ring of death.

[quote name='DJSteel']yes I understand that.. but I'm not paying to play online AND having to deal with the microtransactions..[/QUOTE]

Now I see what you're saying.

I'm a big fan of my PS3 and since I bought it, I haven't been playing my 360 much at all. I keep buying games for the 360, because I'm a true CAG, but I haven't played any of them.

Having said that though, there are benefits to owning the PS3 and the 360. I'll be keeping both because of that.

Let me tell you a secret. Anyone who trades a system that is not dead is going to miss out on some sweet exclusives. I have all three and play the 360 and Wii more than my PS3. The summer is basically death for the PS3 minus Lair. Just hold on to it and wait for a PS3 price droppy.

[quote name='DJSteel']because the norm nowadays is to release games, hold back some content and release it as 800 - 1200 pts dlc...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you don't have to buy it. I don't. The only things I've even bought on XBL so far are a few avatars, TMNT Arcade and Geometry Wars. Shit becomes free eventually.

[quote name='DJSteel']because the norm nowadays is to release games, hold back some content and release it as 800 - 1200 pts dlc...[/QUOTE]

Highly doubt that is going to be much different on the PS3 once they get it running. Yes, you won't have to pay to play on-line, but you won't be avoiding DLC, and until Home shows up, it seems that the PS3's on-line functionality lacks a lot of the compelling features of Live.

Like it or not, DLC is here to stay, and will only become more prevalent in the future.

[quote name='dallow']Content isn't being held back.
More is just created. If you want more, you have to pay for it (usually).[/QUOTE]

lies. You're working for them

you must never buy expansion packs for PC games at all then O-o. I mean the same premise applies. Game comes out later on an expansion for the game with new modes , units etc comes out and you can purchase it or not. Same thing is happening here the base game works fine if you want more content thats developed after market you pay a little more and get it or you dont and stick with the base game.

What you pay for with live is just an easier way to match up with other players and I think it does some matching based on skill lvl to , to some extent I usually only play with friends so I dont do much of that myself honestly.

P.S. The marketplace where all those microtransactions are done is free you know its called Silver membership and available to every 360 owner.

You'll love the PS3. I'm going to sell my 360 too after I beat Halo 3 ^__^. One more thing, when you buy used game for PS3. Blu-ray disk don't have scratches at all ( to me anyway, I haven't see any PS3 game that have scratch on the disk when I buy used ) so that a plus for all the PS3 game.

More is just created. If you want more, you have to pay for it (usually).[/QUOTE]

Wanna bet? How do you think companies are pumping out DLC so fast?

[quote name='PhoenixT']you must never buy expansion packs for PC games at all then O-o. I mean the same premise applies. Game comes out later on an expansion for the game with new modes , units etc comes out and you can purchase it or not. Same thing is happening here the base game works fine if you want more content thats developed after market you pay a little more and get it or you dont and stick with the base game.

What you pay for with live is just an easier way to match up with other players and I think it does some matching based on skill lvl to , to some extent I usually only play with friends so I dont do much of that myself honestly.

P.S. The marketplace where all those microtransactions are done is free you know its called Silver membership and available to every 360 owner.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this. Every PC expansion i've bought were worth every dollar. DLC are way overpriced just for a tiny bit of data. Its been known that developers hold back content for DLC. Horse armor anyone?

You realize that Silver membership being free is a moot point because you still have to pay for the microtransactions right? I feel sorry for those people that pay for gold/premium membership and STILL have to pay for Gears maps.

[quote name='gokou36']You realize that Silver membership being free is a moot point because you still have to pay for the microtransactions right? I feel sorry for those people that pay for gold/premium membership and STILL have to pay for Gears maps.[/QUOTE]

The first pack of Gears maps was free, and the new ones will be too eventually. I don't see anything to cry about. Patient people can wait, and impatient people will buy it. For a lot of people, wasting money on that junk is worth it. That's all that really matters I think. It's not like people don't have a choice.

That's a terrible excuse for not wanting a 360. Nobody says you have to buy downloadable content, and aside from the horse armor/EA bullshit most DLC has been worth the price, or made free eventually anyway.

In particular, the Crackdown, Halo 2, Oblivion, and Rainbow Six packs recently have been a lot of fun and added a lot more enjoyment to my games.

The PS3 is going to do the same thing, once they get their network issues figured out. I'll almost wager that they'll be even more reliant on Microtransactions with HOME being a huge virtual shopping mall.

If having the OPTION of buying things really bothers you so much, I'd say either stick with the old gen, or simply that gaming is not the hobby for you. We've been given the OPTION to get nickel and dimed to death since the beginning? Extra Controllers? Joysticks? Steering Wheels? Wireless? Memory Cards? Tote Bags? blah blah blah. They're just doing the same thing online, now.

I'm about to purchase a PS3 also. I was waiting for Costco to get them in. The current model on the store floors still have the Emotion Engine chip in them correct? I pretty much want a PS3 so I can play my PS2 games on my LCD HDTV without them looking awful. I have a lot of games that don't output in progressive so I'm hoping the PS3 will let me play them in 480p. Can anyone share how non progressive games look on the PS3 now since the updates?

[quote name='MadFlava']I'm about to purchase a PS3 also. I was waiting for Costco to get them in. The current model on the store floors still have the Emotion Engine chip in them correct? I pretty much want a PS3 so I can play my PS2 games on my LCD HDTV without them looking awful. I have a lot of games that don't output in progressive so I'm hoping the PS3 will let me play them in 480p. Can anyone share how non progressive games look on the PS3 now since the updates?[/QUOTE]
They look the same as on a PS2.

Most games are coming out for PS3 and 360 these days.

I guess just look at the few exclusives for each system and decide that way.

I personally love my PS3 and don't see myself getting a 360 anytime soon because it has maybe 1 or 2 exclusives I'm somewhat interested in.

[quote name='zewone']They look the same as on a PS2.[/quote]

When I hook up my PS2 to my HDTV using component, the quality of non progressive games isn't very good. I was hoping that PS3 would play non progressive PS2 games better than a PS2 with component.

[quote name='gokou36']Wanna bet? How do you think companies are pumping out DLC so fast?[/quote]

Sure, I'll bet.
Stuff comes out fast because DLC is just small expansions to games that have already been made.
They could pump out maps once a week if they wanted to.

When I hook up my PS2 to my HDTV using component, the quality of non progressive games isn't very good. I was hoping that PS3 would play non progressive PS2 games better than a PS2 with component.

Have you updated your PS3 at all?
They should look exactly the same.

HAHAHA... er wait - were you being serious?

[quote name='MadFlava']When I hook up my PS2 to my HDTV using component, the quality of non progressive games isn't very good. I was hoping that PS3 would play non progressive PS2 games better than a PS2 with component.[/quote]

How can a PS3 play PS2 games better than the PS2 over component when they use the exact same chip? And if you have a bad LCD HDTV (not saying you do) 480i games are going to look bad because of bad upconversion.

If you really want to trade it, I'd say keep the 360 until about Fall. The PS3 doesn't have too much going for it until then. But yea, microtransactions isn't an MS only thing. PS3 will get its fair share. Right now, games like Oblivion include some DLC with the game for free, because it is a year old port. In the future, we won't have this benefit. But if you also don't like paying for Live, then PSN is a pretty good alternative. Not as easy to use and universal as Live, but it gets the job done.

As much as I hate the fee crap of my 360, I can't imagine getting rid of it because of all the time and energy put into getting such a good deal for the 360 and most of everything that I have for it so far. I want a PS3 for GTHD and GT5. That's pretty much it (rediculous I think but oh well).

Anyway, I'm hoping since I got a good deal on this PS3 also that it will be a good investment for later if the games do get good. Paying as little as possible for online play is really important to me because I don't do it that often. For now I guess I can enjoy the "multimedia" capabilities like internet on the PS3.

[quote name='VipFREAK']As much as I hate the fee crap of my 360, I can't imagine getting rid of it because of all the time and energy put into getting such a good deal for the 360 and most of everything that I have for it so far. I want a PS3 for GTHD and GT5. That's pretty much it (rediculous I think but oh well).

Anyway, I'm hoping since I got a good deal on this PS3 also that it will be a good investment for later if the games do get good. Paying as little as possible for online play is really important to me because I don't do it that often. For now I guess I can enjoy the "multimedia" capabilities like internet on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The $60 or whatever it is I spend on XBox Live is probably the best $60 I spent this year.

don't get me wrong Live is nice.. I've built a good friends list over the years, but I don't get paying 50 bucks for it AND having to pay full price for the dlc.. what is the bonus for being a gold member? playing online, which is free on every other console..

Not to mention the PC as well...

[quote name='lordwow']The $60 or whatever it is I spend on XBox Live is probably the best $60 I spent this year.[/quote]

Good for you. That's nice. Wait... holy crap $60? Like getting ripped off I guess?

[quote name='gokou36']Wanna bet? How do you think companies are pumping out DLC so fast?
[/QUOTE]

Delicious. I'll take on this bet as well. What do I get if I win?

Would you mind providing some solid proof that content is being held back?

No matter which of these two consoles you ultimately choose, you know where the high-res grass will be greener....

[quote name='DJSteel']because the norm nowadays is to release games, hold back some content and release it as 800 - 1200 pts dlc...[/quote]

Here's a hint: You don't have to buy this content. I don't and I'm still enjoying the hell out of my Xbox 360. There is a whole bunch more to play on 360 with or without premium content, and it's slim pickings for PS3 releases right now.

[quote name='lordwow']The $60 or whatever it is I spend on XBox Live is probably the best $60 I spent this year.[/quote]
Dude, if you spent $60 for a year of Live, then you're getting f***ed pretty hard.
[quote name='DJSteel']don't get me wrong Live is nice.. I've built a good friends list over the years, but I don't get paying 50 bucks for it AND having to pay full price for the dlc.. what is the bonus for being a gold member? playing online, which is free on every other console..[/quote]
As a gold member you get demos quicker and I think you get the occassional free content from Marketplace. Also, if you're a true CAG there's no reason you should be paying $50 for a year of Live. If you watch the forums you can grab a year for usually $35 or less.

Even at $50 it's not too much IMO; you get a friends list, the instant connection to their games, voice chat (outside of games), messaging, etc. $50 equates to a little over $4 a month ... if you're that hard up for money hold off on eating out once a month.

Also, the 360 is now at a point where it can offer some great titles at CAG pricing: Tomb Raider Legend - $20, GRAW - $20, Saint's Row - $30; hell, you can get Rainbow 6: Vegas for $40 at Target this week. Good luck finding those prices for the PS3 games.

I'm not bashing the PS3, I know I'll eventually get one; but if you're looking to get one just to "keep up with the Joneses" then that's a dumb reason. If you're having a hard time justifying $50 a year, how are you going to justify an extra $300 for the system and an extra $60 for every new game until they get old enough to come down in price?

Do what you will, I just think right now isn't a good time to be selling a system with a decent library for a system that won't start seeing potential for another 6 months.

I have all 3.

And I play my 360 less than my PS3. I enjoy my PS3 very much. Calling all Cars is so much fun and then the ability to trade for games and the very fast and slick interface its just awsome.

I never play my Wii. Its unplugged in a bag. That console is really unfun. All my family members ask to play it... but I am so sick of it, it makes me feel queezy when I look at it.

Nintendo definetally successfully made a console for only Casuals but the Hardcore is really left out...

Sorry.. Wii-tangent.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I have all 3.

And I play my 360 less than my PS3. I enjoy my PS3 very much. Calling all Cars is so much fun and then the ability to trade for games and the very fast and slick interface its just awsome.

I never play my Wii. Its unplugged in a bag. That console is really unfun. All my family members ask to play it... but I am so sick of it, it makes me feel queezy when I look at it.

Nintendo definetally successfully made a console for only Casuals but the Hardcore is really left out...

Sorry.. Wii-tangent.[/quote]

What other PS3 games do you play?

[quote name='guyver2077']OP must be drunk or high[/quote]
nope... I'm not even doing it yet.. I'm atleast considering it before I do it...

bread's done
Back