I'm facing a 13-hour flight soon. Is there any way to recharge my DS mid-flight?

catapult37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Title says it all. I've got all the games I need and plan to put my Lite on its lowest brightness, but this is the one and only time I've ever wished it took batteries instead. Are there any products out there that would let me plug in and get some extra life out of my DS while I'm in the air?

Thanks...

You could always ask one of the flight attendants if they have a plug somewhere on the plane that you could use for a little bit. They probably have one somewhere in their little kitchen area.

Thanks -- I didn't even realize that you could buy an extra battery pack. I just found some on Amazon for about $10 shipped. Sounds good to me. Of course, the Nintendo website claims that on the lowest brightness setting, the DSL will last 13-15 hours. Has anyone ever tried it?

You should be good if you can handle playing games on the 1st or 2nd brightness setting. I think the 3rd would also last you but I can't remember (mine's been sent to Nintendo a while ago and I may get it by the end of this week or the next).

I've pushed my DS for 14-15 hours before (phat DS). I'd imagine the DSL would do the same on lowest brightness setting.

I wouldn't be too worried. During the beginning and ending of flight you won't need DS time. Plus food time and bathroom time factored in you should be fine no matter how you slice it.

i've gotten 13hrs on my dslite

by the by - 13 hour flight, do you really need to game non-stop for that long? that ain't healthy for your eyes.

You honestly won't have the time to play on a 13 hour flight. Around 45 minutes for takeoff and 45 minutes for landing where you can't use any electronics. Then they will probably give you some food and you will probably want to sleep.

I was on an 18 hour flight and I played my DS for probably only 3 hours total.

Yeah, good points all around. I'm sure I won't actually be playing the whole time... there will likely be much sleeping and reading of books. I guess I'm good to go... thanks!!

BTW if I put up the "few bucks more" for first class I probably couldn't afford to come home, hehe.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']They have chargers in 1st class, just pay a few bucks more, it's worth it.[/quote]

yea but this is cheap ass gamer.com and getting first class wouldnt be too cheap ass of him...

Heading to China. Should be interesting!!

To change the brightness, turn on your DS. On the screen where you can choose to play a DS game or a GBA game (after the warning screen), there's a little sun icon in the bottom left. You can tap it to cycle through a few different brightness settings. Interestingly, the DS Lite comes with the next-to-brightest level enabled by default. You might be surprised to realize your lite can get even liter!

Few bucks more for 1st class. That's rich.

And I agree that if you can get by with the lowest brightness (and in an airplane the 1st or 2nd lowest setting should be good, if it's a night flight the 1st setting will easily do) you should have more than enough juice to last the flight with a single charge. The key is finding a spot to squat next to a plug while you are waiting for your flight to board so you can game and keep your DS charged up right up til the last moment.

I'd be impressed if you managed to game for 6 of the 13 hours. I had a pretty long flight over the summer (6 hours maybe) and probably gamed for just 2 of it.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i've gotten 13hrs on my dslite

by the by - 13 hour flight, do you really need to game non-stop for that long? that ain't healthy for your eyes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... same thing I was going to say. It's a 13 hour flight... but its not like you're going to play for 13 hours... you'll get bored quick.

Just take a nap or something. Just make sure you say goodbye before you nod off.

[quote name='keithp']You guys are all forgetting to factor in the wait time in the airport for the flight to take off.[/QUOTE]

There's probably power outlets in the airport.

bread's done
Back