I'm getting promoted!!!

D4rkewolfe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yes I do need "!!!" I'd put more but it would look even more annoying :D I am just really happy, after 2 long years of being a Lance Corporal I will finally be promoted to an Non-Commissioned Officer. Yes that's right I will be a Corporal starting on the 1st of February. I had gotten promoted to LCpl September of 2001...I've been waiting for this promotion like forever it seems. Even my friend is getting promoted, and that's awesome cause we are like brothers.
Thanks for hearing me out....I just needed to tell someone :lol:

Thanks! :) I really appreciate it. Man I have been fighting to get this, but each time the score closes. There was no one getting promoted for like 8 months in my field. I was the 10th in line to get promoted in all of the Marine Corps in my field. The score just drops and all of a sudden 60-something people get promoted! Too bad I won't see Sergeant, but I am just as happy.
Note: The Composite Score is composed of Proficiency, Conduct, Rifle Range score, Education (Military and off-base), Physcial Training Score, Time in Grade, and Time in Service.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']Thanks! :) I really appreciate it. Man I have been fighting to get this, but each time the score closes. There was no one getting promoted for like 8 months in my field. I was the 10th in line to get promoted in all of the Marine Corps in my field. The score just drops and all of a sudden 60-something people get promoted! Too bad I won't see Sergeant, but I am just as happy.
Note: The Composite Score is composed of Proficiency, Conduct, Rifle Range score, Education (Military and off-base), Physcial Training Score, Time in Grade, and Time in Service.[/quote]

congrats bro. why cant you get sergeant?

You have to be a Corporal for at least a year, and I get out on July 4th. Also there aren't many meritorious boards for Sgt around here, basically you go on this board cause you are such a bad ass Cpl that you need to get promoted. Then it doesn't matter, but I haven't heard of any Sgt boards around here, I've been on the Cpl Board one, and Marine of the Quarter for my base...but didn't win it. After that I wasn't sent again...bastards. Anyways, that is why I can't get it, won't have the time to pick it up, unless I re-enlist. Which I am not planning to do, my wife is joining the Air Force, and the government doesn't like to have spouses in different branches of the military. So I decided to work on my education a bit, while I'm a dependent.

Edit: Thanks WSB :) I'd make a new post, but decided to do an edit :D Well I got to pick my wife up from the hospital, don't worry she's ok, she is just working. Be back in a few (no school tonight thanks to crappy weather...but I should get on my hw).

So if you got an education as a dependent, got a college degree, and then decided to re-up, would they keep you as a Nco or would they make you a Second Liutenent?

I was considering going to Air Force Academy, and even had the required recommendation to go, but I decided that the military lifestyle wasnt for me, especially since I found out that some of the physical problems I had (childhood asthma, etc) made me uneligible to fly just about anything in the Air Force, and I could get just about the same level of computer and technical proficiency as the other job classifications offered me at most of my local universities, which had already offered me full ride scholarships, without the required four year conscription.

However, I have great respect for anyone who does decide that the miltary lifestyle is for them.
Of course, that probably comes from the fact that most of my friends growing up were either Army or Air Force brats whose parents worked at the local base.

Once I get at least a bachelor and decide to re-enlist, I could go either way, as an Non-Commisioned Officer or as you said a Commisioned Officer 2nd Lieutenant. Seeing as how I would be prior enlisted there may even be the possiblity of starting out as a 1stLt (that and I would get more money because I would start as an O-1E/O-2E instead of just an O-1/O-2 the E being for prior enlisted).
Or I may choose to be enlisted, be an expert on my field, and then become a warrant officer, which is basically an officer who came from the enlisted side but knows everything there is to know about his occupational specialty.
So it really is up to the individual, also of course like you said there are certain requirements for an officer. Basically if you are going to be leading troops, you should be better than they are. So you will have to be in an even better condition if you were enlisted. The Air Force Officer physical training is about half the training the enlisted do in the Marine Corps...so I won't have a problem if I decide to re-enlist in another branch.

great news on the promotion :)

Something I don't get though......

"the government doesn't like to have spouses in different branches of the military"

You would think the government would be happy that the different branches of the military were happy enough with each other to literally get in bed together together-- what's the issue?

Congrats. I remember that score barrier. My MOS's score was sky-high, and even then they didn't have any E5 openings... so that SGT rank was a big wall we would pile up against, most getting out before they would ever see a chance of promotion. Even people reupping for promotion wouldn't move on. They convinced me to go to the board while in the gulf (the first war), but even with field promotions happening, it was not meant to be.

In any case, I know what you've received... Congratulations.

[quote name='minx']great news on the promotion :)

Something I don't get though......

"the government doesn't like to have spouses in different branches of the military"

You would think the government would be happy that the different branches of the military were happy enough with each other to literally get in bed together together-- what's the issue?[/quote]

Well take where I am stationed here in Camp Lejeune NC. Only Marines are stationed here (some Navy too for the Naval Hospital, but mostly just Docs are stationed with Marines). My wife would be stationed in Seymour Johnson AFB, which is some distance away. This would cause us to be separated for too long. Though sometimes you will still be separated 6-12 months because of deployments, being stationed in different places for 2+ years is something the government wouldn't do, it may cause unhappy marriages do to these long separations.

[quote name='soulyogurt']Congrats. I remember that score barrier. My MOS's score was sky-high, and even then they didn't have any E5 openings... so that SGT rank was a big wall we would pile up against, most getting out before they would ever see a chance of promotion. Even people reupping for promotion wouldn't move on. They convinced me to go to the board while in the gulf (the first war), but even with field promotions happening, it was not meant to be.

In any case, I know what you've received... Congratulations.[/quote]
I'm glad someone understands a bit more. I'm telling you, it was closed for so long. It was at 1666 and the next quarter I was going to have a 1685. Come January I get 1685 and then the score jumps to 1727. Fortunately the score dropped for February, it dropped to 1622!

Hey Corporal, congratulations on your new promotion. I'm a Marine also. I'm a PFC, (Private First Class) just graduated boot camp at September 4 2002 and MOS school at November 26 2002. I'm glad there are other Marines in these boards as well. :D

[quote name='DevilpupUSMC']Hey Corporal, congratulations on your new promotion. I'm a Marine also. I'm a PFC, (Private First Class) just graduated boot camp at September 4 2002 and MOS school at November 26 2002. I'm glad there are other Marines in these boards as well. :D[/quote]

Of course, you know that now that those two are clearly aware that you are a Marine that you are going to be held to a higher standard by them... they wouldn't take kindly to some fool running around sullying the good name of thier Corps.

Wow, Darkwolfe, I never knew you were a hard bitten bad ass! Congrats!

(Must be nicer to D4rkewolfe, Must be nicer to D4rkwolfe)

I appreciate the kind words devil. Hope you pick up Lance soon, you are definetly overdue, but I'm not going to put you on the spot. So where were you stationed by the way?

Thanks tmbgman, the rank is effective tomorrow, but of course I have to wait to be pinned on Monday. I'm having my wife pin me and the CO.

Congratulations on your promotion D4rkwolfe! My brother just got promoted to Lance and found out that the score is closed for Corporal for qutie a while in his MOS. Congrats again and best of luck.

Congrats D4rkewolfe! You'll enjoy that pinning ceremony. Two holes from the chevrons on each side of your upper chest and sore thighs from breaking in those blood stripes! Oh, the memories.

Semper Fi D4rkewolfe :)

[quote name='DevilpupUSMC']Hey Corporal, congratulations on your new promotion. I'm a Marine also. I'm a PFC, (Private First Class) just graduated boot camp at September 4 2002 and MOS school at November 26 2002. I'm glad there are other Marines in these boards as well. :D[/quote]

Opps, my mistake. I meant September 4th 2003 and November 26th 2003. Wow, time has been flying ever since I decided to enlist. I'm currently stationed in New York at Floyd Bennett Field. I think my unit (6th comm. bn.) is being deployed to Kuwait or Iraq somewhere In June this year. That's about all I know so far. Congrats again on your promotion. Semper Fi.

bread's done
Back