I'm going to rent Rez and then "lose" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngamer007

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hollywood video has a copy of Rez sitting on the shelf, with the box and instructions (it has a lock on it of course). I asked them if they would sell it, even made a very high offer which probably made me look insane, but the manager refused.

So I'm going back there tomorrow to rent it. I'll come back the day after that, and say it was stolen from me, and I'll just pay them for it.

It's not stealing because I'm actually going to go back and pay for it. But it's the only way I can get it. :O

I don't see a problem with it really. You're going to end up paying them the cost of the game anyway, so they're not losing out, and it sounds like its your best chance to get the game.

If you can get past the fact that you are lying, then no big deal. There's no real victim to speak of here. In theory I would think that anyone else serious about the game would have done it by now.

Meh. At least you're not doing other shit people around here seem to think is ok.

Edit: Yea, do what Rig suggested. Then no problems. :p Which means I need to go see if any places around here have any rare games to rent. o_O

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I'm considering doing this with the copy of Audition i got from Netflix seeing as how it's not available to buy at ALL.[/QUOTE]

That's a damn fine move there Sneaky. I would do it if I were you.

I almost did that last summer actually, but I wasn't sure how much the "fine" would be for "losing" it. Let us know how much it costs if you go through with it.

I've done worse then that working at a video store. I subbed for a manager one day at another location. I noticed they had a copy of Raiden Project for the PS One. I loved the game and never came across an actual copy for sale. What do I do? Remove it from the system, put it in as pre-owned title, buy it for $7.99 and go home happy.

Trust me, cutomers do this stuff all the time. You expect it when you get something like that in stock.

Go a local video store and look there. I got lucky, maybe you could too. Plus Hollywood is gonna charge you at least 35 dollars for it. If it was Blockbuster, I'll say do it.

don't forget to ask for the box after you pay for it. If they give you any shit for asking, just say that if you pay in full for something that someone stole from you, you should at least to keep the box. try to look a little angry, so they think you're a little crazy XD

[quote name='Apossum']don't forget to ask for the box after you pay for it. If they give you any shit for asking, just say that if you pay in full for something that someone stole from you, you should at least to keep the box. try to look a little angry, so they think you're a little crazy XD[/QUOTE]

Just say you lost (the game disc) and you want the box and manual just in case it ever surfaces.

Hmm, you could rent it and not return like you suggested, and then pay for it...I see no problems with that, heh, I'd probably do the same thing.

The box is another story though...I suppose after you pay for it you and a few friends could try to steal the box though. (p.s. I'm recommending stealing the box just for the hilarity factor, I'll bet they will throw it out in the trash after you pay for it, so you could dumpster dive for it!)

Oh what the hell, just argue for the box.

the only thing is. since you offered to buy it and now your going to lose it, they will most likely know that you are lying. unless you have a friend do it for you.

[quote name='danny-o']the only thing is. since you offered to buy it and now your going to lose it, they will most likely know that you are lying. unless you have a friend do it for you.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Even if they link u to it, because u have asked to buy it, their policy will be to bill you for it.

Skip the box - swipe the insert and the instructions if they do not supply them to you. U can always swap for another box.

This is pretty darn sneaky, and a little unethical, but considering how impossible the game is to pick up, and the fact that people do this shit all the time, WTF.

They might ban from the store, but fuck it, you'll get your copy of Rez.

[quote name='danny-o']the only thing is. since you offered to buy it and now your going to lose it, they will most likely know that you are lying. unless you have a friend do it for you.[/QUOTE]

Well, if he only talked to one or two people in the movie store, he only needs to "lose" it when there is another employee working.

There's a rental place around me with a copy of Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix that is doing the same thing, refusing to sell it. I've thought about doing what you're doing but wasn't sure how it'd pan out. I know that for some rental chains, they pay like a $100 premium for each movie they rent out, so they might try to charge you that or something.

I don't know, try it though.

[quote name='EndlessChris']There's a rental place around me with a copy of Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix that is doing the same thing, refusing to sell it. I've thought about doing what you're doing but wasn't sure how it'd pan out. I know that for some rental chains, they pay like a $100 premium for each movie they rent out, so they might try to charge you that or something.

I don't know, try it though.[/QUOTE]

Wow the disney mix, I would do it in an instant.

You guys are so..... flaky when it comes to ethics. Granted, this isn't the worst thing you can do because you're actually paying for it, but you're being deceitful from the second you left the store to the second you go back to tell them someone 'stole' it. And for what, a videogame?

The store won't care, and most of you obviously won't care, but later in life you'll likely look back and go "damn, I went the low route for a videogame?"

You do what you want, and you can all continue praising him for it, but it's undeniably wrong.

Also, I legitimately lost Madden 2001 a couple of years back and they wanted to charge me upwards of $75 for it. I forget the exact number. I ended up finding the game used and giving that back to them. They're likely going to pull the same thing on you, just a warning.

What in the world is wrong with you people?

Look, I know this is going to turn into a flame-war, but I'm sorry. I just have to say. This is nothing other than:

1) Lying - leading someone to believe something which is not the truth
2) Stealing - taking something that someone does not want to give you

You can justify it all you want, but it's wrong no matter how you justify it. If you take something from someone who does not want to give it (or sell it) to you, you are stealing. I can't say the thought has never crossed my mind, but "because I can" or "because I can get away with it" doesn't make it right.

And the store's stupidity or cruelty or selfishness or greediness doesn't make stealing from them right either. Stealing from a homeless widowed mother is just as much stealing as taking a Porche from Bill Gates. If it doesn't belong to you, it doesn't belong to you.

^^^^Don't listen to them, it's a trick!! get it before those guys do!!! :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']^^^^Don't listen to them, it's a trick!! get it before those guys do!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I could have pulled this scam with Suikoden II five times over by now if I were going to succumb to temptation. Don't sell your soul for a video game - that's the trick.

I don't think it is a good idea to do this.

Have you checked Blockbuster? If you rent a game and keep it, they will charge you the retail price and they have no problem with it because that is their policy. That would be the right thing to do provided they have Rez.

[quote name='chosen1s']I could have pulled this scam with Suikoden II five times over by now if I were going to succumb to temptation. Don't sell your soul for a video game - that's the trick.[/QUOTE]

see OP, he's taking the good christian approach! he's probably on his way to the store as i type!

:p jk chosen

I (obviously) can't speak for anyone else here, but I couldn't do it. I'd never be able to play it knowing I had to 'cheat' to get it.

What I would do is hunt down the manager, tell him I've been hunting for the game forever, and I want it. If he won't sell then, I 'd ask if they can note in the system somehow that I want it, so if they, ever, ever do sell, they can call me and I'll come get it. (I'd also be back like, every week, asking about it. :D )

[quote name='Apossum']see OP, he's taking the good christian approach! he's probably on his way to the store as i type!

:p jk chosen[/QUOTE]

Foiled Again! *turns car around and goes back home*

Even if it was linked to him I highly doubt the store would do anything. He would be satisfying their demands after he "lost" the game. A manager on a powertrip in an extreme circumstance may threaten to or actually revoke your membership but I highly doubt will happen.

Regardless, I guess it never hurts to be too careful....

careful when you do this cause few years back one video store had a game cant remember what is was cause they dude was in front of me. and was sort of funny basic heres what happened

dude: i lost the game i rented
Worker: let me look it up
Dude: I have no idea what happened to it.
Worker: no problem let me look it up
Dude: turns around to me: cant belive i lost it
Worker: is your account ##############
dude: yeap
Worker: okay we will just charge your CC the amount
Dude: can you tell me what it is
Worker: system is still looking will in a second .... The total to replace the game you lost is 200 or 250 bucks

Dude face turned white as a sheet

dude: the game only ran 49 bucks new
Worker: that is when you can find them. for us to replace this game its going to cost 200 bucks

Dude: ummm give me a few days maybe i can find it

person walks out 2 days later the game was back on the shelf

also know for a fact that many places did this with rare NES games (when Dw 3 and 4 were rare they would charge 150 for each game if it wasnt return. same with Blockbuster with that madden game was a big sign

YOU WILL BE CHARGED 200 bucks if this madden game isnt returned

what is sort of funny cause few years later they were selling them for like 20

no one says a store has to charge you the games vaule they could charge you anything they want

a quick phone call and a, "I can't find my game I rented, what would happen if I don't?" might answer your question. (upwards of $75 and a ban on your rental membership vs. a small charge for loss)

If you need to not lie you could hide it under you bed for a day? i don't know. I do get your predicament though, if I found it to be rented I'd be caught between the same rock and a hard place.

[quote name='chosen1s']And the store's stupidity or cruelty or selfishness or greediness doesn't make stealing from them right either. Stealing from a homeless widowed mother is just as much stealing as taking a Porche from Bill Gates. If it doesn't belong to you, it doesn't belong to you.[/QUOTE]

This is the kind of guy who when he found out Napster could be considered technically illegal according to a narrow interpretation of the newly-minted DMCA, sent a check to the RIAA for the value of every song he downloaded.

If a business/corporate advocate is wrong/evil/full of bad karma, then why buy what they are selling? Supporting a system full of stupidity, cruelty, selfishness and greediness would be the real crime.

If you can work such a system against the bad actors (aka beat the bastards at their own game) then go for it.

It's funny because I work at a Hollywood video, and my friend always says "I think I'm going to rent rez and then pretend to lose it." also. I really don't know how much they would charge for a lost copy, but I know the Hollywood video I work at is stolen from a decent amount. Your plan would work much better if you didn't recently ask if you could buy it from them, but if you don't mind lying about losing it, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

By the way, rez may be rare, but it is not an amazing game by any means.

[quote name='thegamer4787']It's funny because I work at a Hollywood video, and my friend always says "I think I'm going to rent rez and then pretend to lose it." also. I really don't know how much they would charge for a lost copy, but I know the Hollywood video I work at is stolen from a decent amount. Your plan would work much better if you didn't recently ask if you could buy it from them, but if you don't mind lying about losing it, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

By the way, rez may be rare, but it is not an amazing game by any means.[/QUOTE]

Yea I agree, and i enjoyed the game, but always felt like "messed up" people would enjoy it more, and they were the ones raising the demand.

But then again, I like katamari, and my brother thinks im crazy to like that game.

[quote name='camoor']
If a business/corporate advocate is wrong/evil/full of bad karma, then why buy what they are selling? Supporting a system full of stupidity, cruelty, selfishness and greediness would be the real crime.

If you can work such a system against the bad actors (aka beat the bastards at their own game) then go for it.[/QUOTE]

NOTE: Huge coorperations aren't made of pure liquified evil, they're made of *PEOPLE* (just like soylent green). And if you're stealing some stupid thing for a thrill you're not stealing it from bill gates or wal-mart-inc, you're stealing it from that store's management and that store's employees, who will eventually lose their job regardless of their managment capabilities because people keep stealing crap from them. You'd like to cost a few people their job because you don't like the buisseness procedures of their bosses'boss? Just don't shop there if that's the case. Worst case the whole store and company moves out of your neighborhood because people keep fleecing the service and you look around and realize you live in a ghetto where all the stores have metal detectors, cameras, iron fences, and the managment carries a gun.

um, right /rant.

I don't quite feel the same about digital media that isn't released in a purchasable form online though. And even in the haydays of napster, I still bought cds from groups I really liked. The conundrum in the OP's situation is this is a pretty hard game to find, and it's down to the matter of what the game is worth to the company, he's not saying he'll steal it and just never go back to the rental place and move to mexico so they can't track him. he's just saying he'd pay the fees they ask him to. As long as the fee wasn't tremendous, I'd do the same.

[quote name='Enternal']Yea I agree, and i enjoyed the game, but always felt like "messed up" people would enjoy it more, and they were the ones raising the demand.

But then again, I like katamari, and my brother thinks im crazy to like that game.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I really like katamari damacy, and while rez is a pretty fun game, it is not excellent, although it fetches a decent amount of money. I should talk to my manager and say: "Honestly, when is the last time anyone rented that from us, just let my buy it off of you guys for $20 :)" Rez just felt like a shallow rail shooter that tried to be a rhythm game at the same time.

So much for all the people who were going to be able to actually -paly- Rez becuase this store had it to rent. This is straight up a lowly dishonest and rotten thing to do, and no amount of people saying 'no big deal as long as you pay for it' is going to make it right, or OK.

It's theft, it's removing a rare copy of something not too many people get a chance to play out of circulation.

Just considering the idea lowers your integrity score as far as I'm concerned, as well as anyone who agrees with you. I hope other people keep conversations like this in mind when about to trade with any of these people, I know I do.

[quote name='soulyogurt']So much for all the people who were going to be able to actually -paly- Rez becuase this store had it to rent. This is straight up a lowly dishonest and rotten thing to do, and no amount of people saying 'no big deal as long as you pay for it' is going to make it right, or OK.

It's theft, it's removing a rare copy of something not too many people get a chance to play out of circulation.

Just considering the idea lowers your integrity score as far as I'm concerned, as well as anyone who agrees with you. I hope other people keep conversations like this in mind when about to trade with any of these people, I know I do.[/QUOTE]

Don't criticize a person for thinking about something like this...he posed a question. Sounds like you would've been pretty pro-mccarthy back in the day(not jny)

[quote name='tauruskatt']NOTE: Huge coorperations aren't made of pure liquified evil, they're made of *PEOPLE* (just like soylent green)...

I don't quite feel the same about digital media that isn't released in a purchasable form online though. And even in the haydays of napster, I still bought cds from groups I really liked. The conundrum in the OP's situation is this is a pretty hard game to find, and it's down to the matter of what the game is worth to the company, he's not saying he'll steal it and just never go back to the rental place and move to mexico so they can't track him. he's just saying he'd pay the fees they ask him to. As long as the fee wasn't tremendous, I'd do the same.[/QUOTE]

If you're a Nazi soldier, can you hide under the "following orders" defense?

Likewise if you feel Bill Gates a pox on technological advances, if you work for Microsoft can you really hide under the "I need to eat" defense?

Corporations are made of people, and evil corporations are made of evil people.

I don't think Blockbuster is full-on Microsoft-level evil, but the management is enforcing a stupid policy, so why not turn that policy around to work in your favor?

if you really want it, go for it. I doubt many people rent it anyways. I bet most people have never even heard about it. Except people here of course!

How is Microsoft or Bill Gates evil? I hear people say this everyday, but I have yet to see "proof" to back up people's opinions. People whine and complain about Bill Gates/Microsoft simply out of jealousy.

Grow up, you militant revolutionaries striving to fight the good fight against the evil M$ corporation! You sound like the cookie cutter characters Square comes up with for Final Fantasy (insert roman numeral here).

Instead of complaining on an internet forum about someone who is successful and has done something with his life, why don't you volunteer at a soup kitchen or the Humane Society (they need people to spend time with the homeless dogs and cats) to make yourself feel better about your place in society.

Here's another example of Evil Bill donating millions of dollars to schools to secretly fund his hidden agenda... =)

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1996/Nov96/ladonpr.asp

Oh, and as for the guy who is going to say his rental game was "stolen", they'll want a police report for their paperwork, so you should report it to the police first.

[quote name='camoor']If you're a Nazi soldier, can you hide under the "following orders" defense?

Likewise if you feel Bill Gates a pox on technological advances, if you work for Microsoft can you really hide under the "I need to eat" defense?

Corporations are made of people, and evil corporations are made of evil people.

I don't think Blockbuster is full-on Microsoft-level evil, but the management is enforcing a stupid policy, so why not turn that policy around to work in your favor?[/QUOTE]

okay, mr.calling-me-a-nazi. I can hide perfectly well under the "following orders" defence when I'm not the one doing something semi-shady.

If you're after bill gates, or his coorperation, the smart thing to do would be to either pony up and buy/develop some alternatives to his products, or stfu. I don't believe in underpaid chlid labor, so I don't buy the overpriced clothing from companies that I know use those practices to make it. Stealing the shirts in question would not do me any good, in fact if I were to rob a furrier because I didn't believe in using animals for clothing, I'd be arrested, their insurance would cover it, and the price and value of fur would probably go up, therefore benefitting them.

How blockbuster enforcing that you pay for the goods and services they provide you is "enforcing a stupid policy" is completely beyond me. I've already said I'd be stuck contemplating the same thing if the price of 'losing' the disc were right, because at least I would be paying the company what it asks for in exchange for the item in question, depriving others of being able to rent it (because the games are there to rent not buy) would be the thorn in my side there, also the whole lying thing, but it would be through an agreement between the store's policy and myself, not me going, 'omg, those evil rental stores, keeping me from owning this game, i'll steal it and sell it for profit!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back