I'm in need of some career guidance...

onetrackmind

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
I know this is a very strange place to ask for career guidance but i thought i'd try. I've been working in Graphic Design for almost 6 years and i've come to a point in my life where i want to do something more meaningful with my profession. I want to begin a career where i make a difference and actually feel proud about doing. I'm not concerned with how much money i might potentially make, if i made the same amount of money as i do now (which isn't much) that would be just fine.

I've been pondering this decision for months now and just cannot figure out a way to go. I really wanted to become an emt, but in my area its very difficult to get a job in that field. I'm basically just looking for honest suggestions that i could look into. The more the better. Thanks guys.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I know this is a very strange place to ask for career guidance but i thought i'd try. I've been working in Graphic Design for almost 6 years and i've come to a point in my life where i want to do something more meaningful with my profession. I want to begin a career where i make a difference and actually feel proud about doing. I'm not concerned with how much money i might potentially make, if i made the same amount of money as i do now (which isn't much) that would be just fine.

I've been pondering this decision for months now and just cannot figure out a way to go. I really wanted to become an emt, but in my area its very difficult to get a job in that field. I'm basically just looking for honest suggestions that i could look into. The more the better. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Couple of ideas.

1. Move to an area that needs EMTs and try it out.

2. Offer your services to dogooder organizations in your area such as the Red Cross, churches, soup kitchens, etc.

3. Find a hobby that distracts you from your unfulfilling work.

4. Buy a police scanner and fight local crime until you find a power ring.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Wait! There is no demand for EMTs in St. Louis?

Have you considered moving just slightly eastward over the river?[/QUOTE]

I'm not really in a position to move right now, i'd lose a ton of money if i tried selling my house. As for the demand for EMT's, you can either get on working at a hospital or for the fire department. The FD route is almost impossible to get into. Regardless i'd first have to get my EMT B certification, then i have to put quite amount of real hours working with EMTs on an ambulance before i'd be allowed to get further certification. From what the guys at the FD have told me its very difficult to find a spot thats open with a crew to get the hours you need. EMT-B are not in demand either which means i need the higher certification but if i cant get on to ride with a crew i'm stuck. Plus the FD guys told me that due to cutbacks its going to be tough to find anyone wanting to hire an emt-B while working towards further certification. I've asked a few EMT's not through the FD and they pretty much told em the same thing.

[quote name='Snake2715']OTM,

Whats drawing you to the EMT field? Is it the assistance given, or some other fact? Hours, stress, excitement?[/QUOTE]

I'll go with this: "I want to begin a career where i make a difference and actually feel proud about doing."

To the OP...

Some times you have to make sacrifices to get what you want.

And you might be very disappointed with what you want after you get it.

Move slow and steady. Get as far as you can without ruining your life.

I realize you can't get into EMT right now, but how about taking some basic nursing or first aid courses?

Do you need a paying position or could you volunteer in exchange for training?

As an office worker, I've felt the same way for a while; that I'm not making much of an impact on the world by dedicating my "work" to simply making someone else rich and I want to break into the medical field. I'm considering grabbing a 2 year degree and going from there starting this winter semester.

Only thing I have to say is that I knew someone who did EMT and in the first few weeks on the job had to quit because they were disturbed by some of the things they had to handle on the job. If you are up for it, then by all means follow through on your goal and get there.

Well I'm a volunteer EMT for my local FD. I volunteered for the FD and I was sent to EMT class which the FD paid for. It's rewarding at times, but many people feel as if they are second class citizens. At times, I wouldn't say it's too rewarding. You'll have a lot of bitter people that think you have to lick their shoes. You'll also have a lot of nursing homes purposely calling you up for someone that passed away an hour ago, just to cover their butt because they forgot to check up on the person.

If you're just looking for something to feel proud of, I would say try volunteering somewhere. Fire depts, Big Brother Big Sister . . .etc.

If it's a career change you're really looking for . . .
My professional career job is as a social worker for psychiatric teenagers. I really love my job. Hate the paperwork but I find it fulfilling working with kids trying to change their lives. Maybe a career in social work. Though, you need to find the right population to work with. Also, you'll need to get your Masters (2 year degree).

But I think that you should look into volunteering first. That way you can experience something first without having to drastically change your life/career.

Also, EMT's don't make too much money. Yahoo recently listed it as part of the top 10 lowest paid jobs. Then again social workers don't make much either, but you most likely make more than EMT's, and have opportunities for upwards mobility.

Hope this helps

yea EMTs don't get paid too much. If you're really serious maybe getting an RN license might work for you. Alot of hands on work and you will deal with some intense situations where you will be in charge of saving a person's life.
of course it takes a few years of schooling to get there. but if you are passionate enough...

I would reccomend volunteering somewhere so you can see what it's like. Perhaps you'll find it's not for you. or maybe it is. only one way to find out.

bread's done
Back