I'm in NYC, what to do now?

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
My girlfriend and I are staying at the Dream hotel for the next couple days, anything to do here? lol...

So far, loving it. So far, spent 700+ dollars in the first 10mins here...

pizza, fold it brooklyn style....foot long hot dogs...go outside and just stand, you'll get pushed garunteed....walk around with a pack of cards and people will think you are david blane....

Shake Shack near Madison Square Garden Park, if I recall.

If you want to be romantic? Pick a top-notch NYC restaurant (the concierge should be able to point you to one that interests you, although Italian never seems to fail) and go there for lunch. You spend a whole lot less and the menus are a bit more limited but it's still an experience and delicious. Try Le Circe Bar in Midtown or perhaps Gotham Bar & Grill.

Dim sum in Chinatown. Golden Unicorn on 18 East Broadway is quite good. The soup dumplings at Joe's Ginger or at its sister restaurant are quite good as well.

Perhaps Serendipity? Two Little Red Hens Bakery is quite outstanding as well.

...yeah, I know, all food-related but it is just one aspect of the city. Honestly, pick a neighborhood or two or three and hit them up during the day. Find a way to get down there and then just walk around for a while. Plenty of things to see and do, to be fair.

Oh, and if you want to catch a random show go to the ticket office in the theater of a show you want to see and wait around to see if anything opens up one night. If you really luck out you can get tickets for dirt cheap (ie: leftovers for $15 or thereabouts) and, if not, you'll be around Times Square anyway. That'll be bustling enough with activity and life in case the theater doesn't pan out.

Nintendo World Store!
Metropolitan Museum of Art (it's pay-what-you-want, every night!)
Times Square, natch.
Staten Island Ferry is fun, though pretty cold right now.
Try to grab a copy of L Magazine or Time Out NY to look for music listings

Oh yea, I don't know if they still exist, but there's a set of awesome resturaunts you should go to:

Jack The Ripper
The Slaughtered Lamb (my favorite)
and the two Jekyl and Hyde places.

-- Pay too much for lunch; top it off by tipping excessively
-- Avoid remarking aloud about the smell in the subways
-- Casually urinate at a bus stop
-- Wait in line for tickets to see Cats; buy tickets to see Cats; turn around and scalp them to people who were behind you in line
-- Stand in awe at how people pay so much to live in such small, filthy apartments that look like they're only being held up by the umpteen layers of paint.
-- Walk around till you can count ten crazy eccentrics on one city block; call that block home and become a New Yorker

Well if you like David Letterman or Conan O'brian you could wait for free tickets.
If you want to see Conan, you HAVE to be outside the NBC studio entrance at Rockafella Center at around 4:45am! Then wait for 4hrs and 15mins (til 9am), if your one of the first 20 or so, there is a GOOD chance you might get stand by tickets to see that show's taping at 5pm. If you get your ticket, you have to come back to the studio at around 4pm and wait to see if you get in, meaning hopefully there is a spot for you. Don't be surprised if some assclowns try to cut (even though you have a numbered ticket) or some people try to "bribe" the workers to let them in. I've tried 3 times in the past 2 years to get in and no luck :(

Any pizza joint will do.

Street food is good.

Nintendo World Store is overrated.

You're here with your girl? Go to the Museum of Sex. Trust me on this.

As a self-respecting nerd, you should visit Midtown Comics and the Nintendo World Store. Luckily, they're both in the same general area.

Definitely seconding Jekyll and Hyde. Never have a normal meal again after you've had a skeleton pop out of a coffin right next to you while you're eating.

Broadway is overrated. Go to Greenwich village, poke around in some of the shops, then go see BadAss Burlesque.

Next day, go to a museum. MoMA, MoNH, or some smaller venue. Opportunities are endless.

If someone tries to beg you for money, pretend you don't see them. Swallow your guilt and walk away. You're probably just as broke as they are. Do give money to street performers and those subway guys. They're cool. Don't stare up at the buildings in the middle of the shaq-fuing sidewalk. Feel free to ask random people for directions. People in NYC really aren't as mean as the media would make it seem.

[quote name='dtcarson']Catch an improv show or two at the UCB or one of the other venues.
http://www.ucbtheatre.com/ny/
Cheap and usually hilarious (based on the two shows I've seen there).[/QUOTE]
Damn I was about to suggest that

Yeah the UCB Theatre is one of New York's best kept secrets, it's mindblowingly awesome

[quote name='Scobie']-- Pay too much for lunch; top it off by tipping excessively
-- Avoid remarking aloud about the smell in the subways
-- Casually urinate at a bus stop
-- Wait in line for tickets to see Cats; buy tickets to see Cats; turn around and scalp them to people who were behind you in line
-- Stand in awe at how people pay so much to live in such small, filthy apartments that look like they're only being held up by the umpteen layers of paint.
-- Walk around till you can count ten crazy eccentrics on one city block; call that block home and become a New Yorker[/quote]

i'll keep this list for when i visit in june. any thoughts on how to pe casualy at the bus stop for a female? ;)

There is a fancy champagne bar called "Flute" downtown. You can feel all rich and eat cheese and crackers and buy $50-$5000 bottles of champagne. I had fun with my woman.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']Wax Mueseum[/QUOTE]
No.

Way overpriced for what it is, not good for a cheap ass, plus, there's way better things to do in New York, don't waste your time on something you can do anywhere else

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']No.

Way overpriced for what it is, not good for a cheap ass, plus, there's way better things to do in New York, don't waste your time on something you can do anywhere else[/QUOTE]

I 2nd that the wax museum is really freaking expensive. Probabaly not worth it. Ive never been inclined to pay the $35 or something like that to check it out.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']My girlfriend and I are staying at the Dream hotel for the next couple days, anything to do here? lol...

So far, loving it. So far, spent 700+ dollars in the first 10mins here...[/quote]

being a New Yorker, these are my suggestions:

Chinatown. Take a subway or cab to Canal street and walk up to Mott Street. That's a great place to shop for things that "fell off the back of a truck", good imposter designer brands (i.e. Cucci instead of Gucci). Go to Chinatown Icecream Factory on Mott Street. Go to a tea house and get some chocolate bubble tea with milk.

Go to Pommes Frites (lower east side), the only *true* belgian fry shop in the city. they have home made belgian "french" fries with over 30 condiments. they're the best you'll ever have.

Get "rush" tickets to a broadway show. you show up at 6pm (curtain is at 8) and stand outside. they sell all unsold tickets for like $20. you can get front row tickets to Avenue Q or Spamalot for cheap and they're good shows.

Alphabet City. Get over to Avenues A, B, and C. Hit up Bleeker Street and St. Mark's Place for the best tattoo artists and piercers in the city. There is all kinds of crazy punk rock, goth and freak stuff and is great for people watching and partying. While there stop at Atomic wings for some of the best wings in the city or Australian Homemade Icecream for some really rich treats. Kiev is an Eastern European restaurant with home made food.

Museum of Natural Science and the Planetarium. Admission is kind of pricey but you can spend a whole day there. It's on 5th Ave and 81st(?).

If you like steak, head out to brooklyn for Peter Luger's Steakhouse. It's over 100 years old and serves the best dinner you'll have in NY.

Central Park Zoo. Admission is only a few bucks and you can spend the day outdoors with the aminals.

For nightlife/clubbing, hit up Webster Hall, Avalon, Exit or Tunnel. Cover is pricey at about $25 (or more, depending on the night) but it's a crazy rave-like atmosphere where the best DJ's in the world spin on a nightly business. I saw DJ Richard Humpty Vision at Exit years ago. It was INSANE.

For cheap food, hit up street vendors (they're not as dirty as you'd think - they're actually highly regulated by the health department), Gray's Papaya (as someone already mentioned- numerous sites around the city), or Coronets Pizzeria (110th and Amsterdam near the enterence to Columbia University)

The NY Auto Show is currently going on the Jacob Javits Center. Get discount tickets online and see some crazy concept cars and the new 2008 models.

If you're in Queens for any reason, hit up the Beer Garden at Bohemia Hall. They've got only the best imports on tap from Europe. The only remaining beer garden in NYC, you can sit in the bar or outdoors at a picnic table hanging out with the friendliest people you'll meet in NY (no, seriously). Pitchers are relatively cheap and they serve traditional Bohemian food until late at night.

PM me or IM me with questions or for directions.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']My girlfriend and I are staying at the Dream hotel for the next couple days, anything to do here? lol...

So far, loving it. So far, spent 700+ dollars in the first 10mins here...[/quote]
being a New Yorker, these are my suggestions:

Chinatown. Take a subway or cab to Canal street and walk up to Mott Street. That's a great place to shop for things that "fell off the back of a truck", good imposter designer brands (i.e. Cucci instead of Gucci). Go to Chinatown Icecream Factory on Mott Street. Go to a tea house and get some chocolate bubble tea with milk.

Go to Pommes Frites (lower east side), the only *true* belgian fry shop in the city. they have home made belgian "french" fries with over 30 condiments. they're the best you'll ever have.

Get "rush" tickets to a broadway show. you show up at 6pm (curtain is at 8) and stand outside. they sell all unsold tickets for like $20. you can get front row tickets to Avenue Q or Spamalot for cheap and they're good shows.

Alphabet City. Get over to Avenues A, B, and C. Hit up Bleeker Street and St. Mark's Place for the best tattoo artists and piercers in the city. There is all kinds of crazy punk rock, goth and freak stuff and is great for people watching and partying. While there stop at Atomic wings for some of the best wings in the city or Australian Homemade Icecream for some really rich treats. Kiev is an Eastern European restaurant with home made food.

Museum of Natural Science and the Planetarium. Admission is kind of pricey but you can spend a whole day there. It's on 5th Ave and 81st(?).

If you like steak, head out to brooklyn for Peter Luger's Steakhouse. It's over 100 years old and serves the best dinner you'll have in NY.

Central Park Zoo. Admission is only a few bucks and you can spend the day outdoors with the aminals.

For nightlife/clubbing, hit up Webster Hall, Avalon, Exit or Tunnel. Cover is pricey at about $25 (or more, depending on the night) but it's a crazy rave-like atmosphere where the best DJ's in the world spin on a nightly business. I saw DJ Richard Humpty Vision at Exit years ago. It was INSANE.

For cheap food, hit up street vendors (they're not as dirty as you'd think - they're actually highly regulated by the health department), Gray's Papaya (as someone already mentioned- numerous sites around the city), or Coronets Pizzeria (110th and Amsterdam near the enterence to Columbia University)

The NY Auto Show is currently going on the Jacob Javits Center. Get discount tickets online and see some crazy concept cars and the new 2008 models.

If you're in Queens for any reason, hit up the Beer Garden at Bohemia Hall. They've got only the best imports on tap from Europe. The only remaining beer garden in NYC, you can sit in the bar or outdoors at a picnic table hanging out with the friendliest people you'll meet in NY (no, seriously). Pitchers are relatively cheap and they serve traditional Bohemian food until late at night.

PM me or IM me with questions or for directions.

bread's done
Back