i'm in the mood for an rpg

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Any suggestions? It's been a good while since i've played an rpg. I think the last was FFX. I've still yet to play the lunar games. I have always wanted to but was never able to find a copy at a decent price. So give me some suggestions on current generation rpgs which aren't super rare. I've heard lots good coming from kingdom heart but i'm kind of skeptical because of the disneyness. But change my mind about it and I may pick it up. What is it about kingdom hearts that makes it so great?

Hmm, I'm a huge FFX fan, so I'd say FFX-2. Either that or play X again. Of course many will disagree with me though.

I'm going to move this to General Gaming.

Kingdom Hearts is live action so you fight your enimes in real time instead of taking turns. Also everyone loves Disney things.

I'd recommend that or if you love turn based Arc the lad which is cheap.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Kingdom Hearts is live action so you fight your enimes in real time instead of taking turns. Also everyone loves Disney things.

I'd recommend that or if you love turn based Arc the lad which is cheap.[/quote]

is it truly real time action like fable? or is it like KOTOR "real time action"? I've yet to see an rpg with real time action done well, but then again I haven't played too many. But if kingdom hearts truly has real time action and hopefully a good story I will probably pick it up.

Check out Kingdom Hearts, it's really fun. Also I've heard very good things about Shadow Hearts Covenant.

I just finished ToS and thought it was pretty bleh. Skies of Arcadia is a decent choice for the cube.

For xbox it's pretty much KOTOR or bust, although I really enjoyed Fable, it's more of a hack'n'slash type of game IMO.

[quote name='Trakan']Hmm, I'm a huge FFX fan, so I'd say FFX-2. Either that or play X again. Of course many will disagree with me though.

I'm going to move this to General Gaming.[/quote]

sorry trakan, for some reason I didn't think it was appropriate for that forum. meh, I must be going senile in my old age. Also, I used to be a huge fan of FF but I never finished FFX because of gaming burnout and for some reason I feel like I won't enjoy it as much as I did when I first picked it up during release.

[quote name='minqqq'][quote name='Trakan']Hmm, I'm a huge FFX fan, so I'd say FFX-2. Either that or play X again. Of course many will disagree with me though.

I'm going to move this to General Gaming.[/quote]

sorry trakan, for some reason I didn't think it was appropriate for that forum. meh, I must be going senile in my old age. Also, I used to be a huge fan of FF but I never finished FFX because of gaming burnout and for some reason I feel like I won't enjoy it as much as I did when I first picked it up during release.[/quote]

No need to apologize. :)

[quote name='minqqq'][quote name='zionoverfire']Kingdom Hearts is live action so you fight your enimes in real time instead of taking turns. Also everyone loves Disney things.

I'd recommend that or if you love turn based Arc the lad which is cheap.[/quote]

is it truly real time action like fable? or is it like KOTOR "real time action"? I've yet to see an rpg with real time action done well, but then again I haven't played too many. But if kingdom hearts truly has real time action and hopefully a good story I will probably pick it up.[/quote]

It is really live action like Fable, infact it's older than fable. You controll the attacks and you get special moves and magic like in fable and the magic is easier to use since you can hot key 3 spells. Oh best of all it's only $20 at most stores new, that's a lot cheaper than Shadow Hearts or even fable, go GH!

Good story but it starts off a bit kid like so if you don't like disney movies it might be hard to get into.

And if you like more live action games Tales of Symphonia is an interesting mix, combat is live action but if can be paused to cast magic and use items, unlike fable. It's a good game but this site is unfortunatley filled with Skies of Arcadia fanatics, which is probably the most generic RPG I've played after Evolution.

I recommend FFX-2 (awesome continuation of the FFX story and mythos), Kingdom Hearts (don't let disney or real time fool you, this is a great game with a great story), Shadow Hearts: Covenant ( i was in an rpg mood, too, and picked this game up, it's the best rpg of 04). If you have a gamecube, i recommend tales of symphonia.

If you're into Tolkien, try out LOTR: The Third Age. It's nothing groundbreaking, but a good-old RPG with all the characters from the movies plus a whole bunch of new ones. Story is kind of far-fetched, but it's manageable.

Definately try Xenosaga. If you don't mind watching a lot of the drama unfold its a great story. Plus when your done you can jum right into Xenosaga II that'll be out in a week or 2.

for the gamecube

Baten Kaitos

now dont say you wont like it cause its a card based game, I though the same thing but now im hooked on the stupid thing. I like it as much as paper mario 2 its keeping me that hooked (though i did stop playing paper mario 2 in chapter 6 cause im stuck AHHHHH)))

One bad thing about the game is its going to take you a long long time.

I heard the First disc is 20-30 hours long and the 2nd Is 30-40 hours long

so your looking at a 50-80 hour RPG here.....

one bad thing about long RPG is they can burn you out on them very quickly... I got around 19 hours into the game (got the game from Gamefly on Jan 25 and havent played it since friday night) I hope to put a few hours into it today... I doubt i wll ever get to the end of the game cause 50+ hours is just too freaking long :)

I was really expecting to see a JSweeney song (sung to the tune of a Robert Plant song), but I guess it would be pretty repetitive.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is great, as it uses a neat ring system for combat (like a golf game) and doesn't take itself too seriously.

I also recommend Xenosaga (awesome characters, though some didn't like the vast amount of cutscenes) and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (awesome but very tough).

[quote name='Rig']Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete! PLAY IT!!![/quote]

thats what im sayin, forget ps2 rpgs, there are so many good psx rpgs, lunar is great, you should also check out xenogears, dragon warrior vii, oh and i love final fantasy tactics. tactics and xenogears are both greatest hits now so you should be able to get a good deal on those.

bread's done
Back