I'm moving to orlando.

sisco1986

CAGiversary!
Hmm, I'm packing my things up and heading to live in orlando in less than 48 hours. I've pretty much lived in Buffalo my entire life, although I lived my early youth in new york city (1 until I was 12 years old) along with a year in Puerto Rico when I was 16. I've been to orlando before, but only for a week, and it consisted of being in a hotel and going to disney and other touristy crap. Hows the city life in Orlando? What are the bad part's of Orlando? and other local advice people can give me.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Year long summer is not for me.[/QUOTE]

you mean you don't want to wear shorts all year long?
i'm the opposite. i like to be in my shirt and shorts all year long but i prefer hawaii

You'd be surprised how often it rains in Florida. And I really hate to ruin the potential befuddlement, but be prepared for crazy 5-minute, downpours in the summer...all while the sun is still shining. Of course we have plenty of occassions when it's just dark and lighting and thunder rain down with all the water; Florida is the lighting capital of the (I wanna say world, but maybe just the US).

I-4... You may or may not be better off taking the long route on the regular streets to get around. The toll roads are very brisk...but they're toll roads.

I'm not the bar-hopping/clubbing type, but it seems that in the three years I've lived here, that's the "best" part of downtown. If you're into live music and concerts, Orlando is an awesome town to catch a show, both in small club-type venues and the bigger House of Blues and Hard Rock Live. Oddly, though, we don't get too many of the arena tours; those seem to wind up in Tampa instead (something like an hour/hour-and-a-halfish drive).

Orlando is in the center of Florida, so you'll actually have to drive a bit to get to a beach. They say you're never more than 50 miles from the coast at any point in Florida, and that's actually how far you'll have to drive.

City life... I haven't lived/spent much time in cities. I think everything worth seeing downtown is central, which is good because apparently our public transportation sucks.

Unless you've got friends/relatives from out of town always visiting you, you'll be surprised how little you'll be going to the theme parks.

I live right on the northern edge of Orlando in the UCF area and only really venture into the city for concerts. The toll roads can zoom me there in 10 minutes, whereas taking the "main road" into town can take upwards of half an hour, traffic non-withstanding.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Year long summer is not for me.[/QUOTE]

I lived in Illinois my whole life until November 2004. 20 years, I spent there. Let me tell you, aside from not getting to see snow on Christmas and the extreme dearth of rain, I do not miss Illinois' weather one bit, especially when it's in the 70's here in southern California during the winter.

P.S. OP, go to a TNA show!

[quote name='dafunkk12']You'd be surprised how often it rains in Florida. And I really hate to ruin the potential befuddlement, but be prepared for crazy 5-minute, downpours in the summer...all while the sun is still shining.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, doesn't it rain almost everyday in the summer, but often for a very short time? My godmother used to live in Tampa and it was so odd to see clear skies, but pouring rain.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Man, I would go to Disney World constantly if I lived in Orlando. You, sir, are a winner.[/QUOTE]

I went to disney, and I hated it with passion. Theme parks and mass groups of idiots..i mean people aren't my thing.

Anyways, yeah thanks for the input guys.

I feel bad for you dude..ive lived in Florida my whole life (19 now), grew up 75 minutes south of orlando..now i Go to UF which is in Gainesvile (90 minutes north of Orlando) and I will say that Orlando is alright to visit, but I would hate to live there. Its hard to explain why, but ive been there many times, and it just sucks. Anyways, ya it rains pretty much every afternoon during the summer like clockwork. Its not bad though, the storms usually only last a little while and it clears up.

[quote name='afedock']I feel bad for you dude..ive lived in Florida my whole life (19 now), grew up 75 minutes south of orlando..now i Go to UF which is in Gainesvile (90 minutes north of Orlando) and I will say that Orlando is alright to visit, but I would hate to live there. Its hard to explain why, but ive been there many times, and it just sucks. Anyways, ya it rains pretty much every afternoon during the summer like clockwork. Its not bad though, the storms usually only last a little while and it clears up.[/QUOTE]

You pretty much hate the place you grow up, happens to all of us. I love Orlando and hate the keys...

I'm at UCF as well... we'll have to have a cheap ass drunken party some time. If you're not in the international drive area, you wont have to deal with the theme park hype, if thats not your thing.

45 or so minutes to beautiful cocoa beach, and also not too far from daytona.
Tons of malls and other junk to do when you're bored too.

You're right in time for the cooler time of the year, but the rest of the year you'll feel like a sweaty ballsack.

Also be aware for heavy traffic and horrible drivers.

Welcome to O-town! (god that sounded gay).

[quote name='Matt Young']I lived in Illinois my whole life until November 2004. 20 years, I spent there. Let me tell you, aside from not getting to see snow on Christmas and the extreme dearth of rain, I do not miss Illinois' weather one bit, especially when it's in the 70's here in southern California during the winter.

P.S. OP, go to a TNA show![/QUOTE]

I love it when its 30-50 degrees. Then I can wear long sleeves, jacket, winter hat etc. (I hate dressing in summer clothes) and go outside but I'm not freezing, sweating, itching and no bugs are biting me. I don't like it when it gets 25-20 and below, but I prefer it to be 10 degrees farenheit instead of 90. I hate when its hot.

Well at least with all the tourist items around there are always options on the side. Been done to Epcot for the Food & Wine Festival twice and although you spend an arm & leg its a good time. Funniest thing was the last time I was down there a little girl about 6 was screaming no more wine for you mommy. Her mom was plastered halfway around the epcot world tour. Not exactly what you expect at a Disney park. Last time there were about 100 vineyards and beers to try from 30 countries...

I find Orlando to be a haven from the mosquitos, at least compared to the keys:
Half the year you walk out and within seconds you can count more than 4 mosquitos on any limb.
Low flying spray planes and noisy ass mosquito trucks have to go by whenever it gets really bad.

In the 3+ years I've been in orlando I doubt I've been bitten a single time, but I think theres a thing about mosquitos where they can tell if you've been bitten by millions before... they just lose interest in you.
I think native FL blood turns bitter

I used to live in Iowa and hated the winters there with all of the ice and snow and below zero weather, but since I moved to arizona I couldnt be more happier since its about 80 degree's every day.

I just graduated from UCF about 4 months ago. Orlando is a nice city, growing extremely rapidly so theres plenty of jobs and lots to do. Considering its pretty much the #1 tourist destination in the world, theres always something fun to do. You can get year passes to the parks, go to the bars and clubs down on Church St. and catch some awesome concerts at Hard Rock Live and House of Blues. I think my favorite yearly event had to be the Orlando Beerfestival aka Beerfest at CityWalk. Now that is a fun day, getting drunk 2 ounces of beer at a time off around 200 different types of beer. Whether is typically good except in the summer every day around 4 there will be massive thunderstorms for a couple hours, then clear up. I think Central Florida has more lightning strikes than anywhere in the US. All in all, its a good place to live with lots of cool stuff to do.

[quote name='gofishn']Considering its pretty much the #1 tourist destination in the world...[/QUOTE]
To be more specific, the number 2 non-business destination in the world after Mecca. (I picked that up from my professor who was the Director behind the Toon Lagoon part of Islands of Adventure.)

bread's done
Back