Im not a pc gamer...

Seabassns

CAG Veteran
That being said I've missed out on a lot of PC games. My Computers are not the best, My computer has a windows experience index of 3.5, if that means anything. Anyway recently i had been on an RTS kick coming off of Halo wars for the 360. Looking around at best buy i saw age of mythology for ten dollars, after looking at the specs I figured most likely that my computer was able to play it. I love the game, its freaking amazing, i went back and bought age of empire collection for the same price. I've decided that i will be getting a gaming PC, eventually. For know how ever, the question I have is what golden oldies have i missed? I have the Orange box for the 360 so dont worry about those, and everyone ive talked to say the 'craft' series (world of, III, and star). But im cheap (which is what drove me here) and dont want to pay alot for my games, like in the $20 range. Suggestions of all types are welcome.
Also, i dont post here alot so if i am doing something wrong, or have posted in the wrong area let me know, thanks.

the warcraft battlechest can sometimes be had for 20 on amazon. Its 30 retail I think?

Otherwise 20 will get you the starcraft battlechest; maybe 15 when on sale.

If you like RTS try warcraft, starcraft, Command and Conquer (any in the series)

If you loved Age of Mythology as much as I did, check out the expansion, its a worthy addon.

But also, check out anything made by Blizzard, they're all amazing.

Oldies:

Total Annihilation
Rise of Nations
Settlers
Praetorians
Ground Control
Total War series
Act of War

Newies:

The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth series
Company of Heroes
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series
World in Conflicts
Sins Of A Solar Empire
Supreme Commander

I'm not much of a pc gamer either, but I had a few for my older pc which I really enjoyed.

Roller Coaster Tycoon + Expansion packs
Carmageddon 2
Baulder's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

Welcome to the fold :)

By the looks of the games you've shared, you're more into the real-time strategies. So in my opinion, the definite pick ups on the cheap are:

The 'Craft series: There's a reason why everyone PC gamer worth his/her salt would outright recommend it. Star/Warcraft series are the benchmark that all current and future RTSes should either meet, or exceed in playability

Total War series: Personally, I'd go with Rome first, since It's fairly old, fairly solid, and mixes both aspects of turn based city/empire management and real-time combat. Unlike it's modern cousins, Rome should be enjoyable with your system score.

Civilization Series: Okay, so it's turn based. The PC variants are a lot more complex than the newer console iterations (Civ: Revolution). If you ever rented/played the Civ: Rev demo from XBL, liked it, and want more of it, then I suggest picking up Civ 4 for the PC.

Rise of Nations/Legends: Basically Civ's Real-time cousin. Nation's pretty old (I'm thinking 2003/4), but it's still a pretty fun game to play from time to time. The AI gets pretty annoying if you don't play aggressively, but aside from that I don't really have that many complaints against the game.

IF YOU CAN RUN IT Games

Company of Heroes: My God I can't believe this game is fun. There's a demo out there somewhere, so download and play that, and I'll let the demo do the talking for me.

World In Conflict: This game takes the BS of base building and research out of the question, gives you tons of units + impressive artillery, and drops you in the middle of the action. A gorgeous game that made my invest in a new video card.

Come to think of it, instead of buying a new computer, why don't you just Frankenstein it by buying and upgrading individual components of your machine. You'll probably save money in the long run.

Starcraft is, of course, a must-have for any RTS fan.

Moving away from that genre, however, I must recommend Planescape Torment (might be slightly out of your budget; gog.com should really get on that shit), the best god damn RPG ever. Also, the first three Monkey Island games and Grim Fandango, the best god damn adventure games ever.

Civilization games. Civilization II literally took away a year of my life. I have a newer computer (though not a good one) and couldn't run Civ 4 very well. Civ 3 worked fine though. I would go for that one.

There is a game called Lords of Magic and also Lords of The Realm II that you might like (though are pretty old, mid to late 90's I think).

As for a suggestion above. I put Settlers III on my computer and really liked it.

Also. If you want the Warcraft battlechest, a store by me has it for $13 or so. If you wanted to paypal me I could pick it up and send it media mail.

[quote name='xcopy']I can't believe no one mentioned Aion.[/QUOTE]

The OP mentioned that he would like CHEAP PC games (less than $20). A recently released MMO with subscription would not really fit this category.

Neverwinter Nights
old Blizzard Titles

on the cheap

[quote name='xcopy']I can't believe no one mentioned Aion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Seabassns']For know how ever, the question I have is what golden oldies have i missed?[/QUOTE]

;)

Company of Heroes , orig plus exps
C&C Generals orig, plus Zero Hour
World in Conflict ( verymuch Like Tom Clancy's End War)
Empire Earth Series
DAWN of War
This is just a few. You will love Compnay of Heroes

Age of Empires 2 is by far the best RTS ... get 3 as well if you can find it under 20$ i'm sure you can. I still play 2 with some friends online. Always love tearing apart the computer

Dawn of War is good

Empire Earth

Rise of Nations

Company of Heroes (actually just realized it wasn't installed on my machine so I threw it back on it :D)

Red Alert 3 isn't old but it's good

World in Conflict (I swear I have this game but I can't find it :( )

Starcraft is good

As for my opinion on Warcraft, I've only played 3 and hated it. I'm a very big RTS fan and the learning curve just pissed me off beyond belief. After 10 games on easy in skirmish I wanted to throw the computer out of the window. Within 5 minutes I'd always get rushed on the freakin easy and loose. Not fun imo.

RTS: Starcraft, Faces of War, Men of War

TBS: Civilization IV, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Galactic Civilizations II, Worms Armageddon

Adventure: The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Sid Meyers Pirates!

RPG: Baldurs Gate II, Might and Magic VI and VII, Morrowind (with mods)

Action RPG: Diablo, Jade Empire, Ys Oath in Felghana

Sim: Rollercoaster Tycoon series, Tropico, Sid Meyers Railroads

Racing: Trackmania, Colin Mcrae rally

Shump: Touhou

Get the Warcraft 3 Battle Chest, as others have said. You dont need to wait for your new gaming PC, it'll run better than Age of Mythology (and is a far superior game, IMO).

I am a RTS player fantic, play them all, and like even the crappy ones in some way. Most of the suggestions above are excellent. Some i would mention that everybody else did.

the Craft games (as one perosn put it) starcrat/warcraft
C&C (red Alert II is the best IMHO of the batch), i think you can get the decade pack for $19.99 its one of the best values in RTS you will ever find... wish they could get the DUNE II rights an include it.

Warlords- the RTS ones, believe there are 3, wont find any RTS with so many races, so many ying/yang units.

Company of hero's- pure excellence.
Dawn of War - Also a great set.. think they have an everything pack for like $29.99 too , (not with the new DOW II) but all the other DOW packs.

And one nobody ever mentions but is maybe close to my all time favorite:

Kohan and Kohan II- I still fire these up and play them alot. Great tool to teach the Defence minded player to quit turtleing.. you will never win that way with this game. Its A RTS, but doesnt follow the "standard" that almost every game above does. You take over towns, (can only build them in specific spots) and build the towns a bit like Might & Magic. Dawn of War or CoH may be the closest. You dont have single units, you have armies, but as each one has its core, and up to 4 support units.. So you could have swordsmen, with 2 healer backups and 2 mage backups. Units can only be built in towns with correct buildings and you cant build every building in the largest town. Your armies are limited by the tyown size and amount of towns. If you take an enemy city you can use his units. There is also moral... a huge old demon will make armies run alot faster then a "normal" army. Hmmm the more i read Dawn of War and CoH really copied KOHAN alot.. I wonder which game came out first?

Kohan- march 2001
Dawn of War-Sept 2004

if you like the Dow and CoH style game play but would like to see it in sword and scorcery look ofr a copy of KOHAN or KOHAN 2.

bread's done
Back