im starting to hate the younger generation I must be getting old

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I'm sure every generation ever has thought this of the next.[/QUOTE]

That's definitely true.

That's why most people tend to hang out with peer groups around the same age range.

Generation gaps are very real, and people prefer to socialize with people like themselves in terms of personality, interests etc.

One thing i notice is kids dont seem to act their age. Tweens dreesing trashy and cursing like drunken sailors and their parents acting like thats ok. No way my parents would let me get away with that.

I remember when I was small my Dad used a belt and it magically made me learn about respect and doing the best I can. n_n

It's too easy to say that this is what the older generation always thinks about the younger generation.

Gen X had it's slackers but they generally worked shitty jobs and were unsurprised at shitty wages. Alot of this new generation feel like they are entitled to inherit the world just by showing up to an interview. Not all of them mind you - but you know the ones I'm talking about.

To all kids entering the work force - there are no participation trophies anymore and the boss isn't going to cut the crust off your PB&J, time to cowboy up.

I don't have much exposure to teens. But I find them loathsome. And just by the attitude of the idiot teenagers (and they're very easy to spot) on CAG, it seems like they ARE worse than we were. Maybe it's just like someone said, that we are sharing the same digital space so we have to hear them "talk" when that never happened before, but man are they stupid. Sometimes I wish we had a CAG for Adults.

Just absolutely no sense or perspective but think they know everything. I guess that's every generation. ;)

I wouldn't mind them with their heads in their smartphones if they would just STFU. But mostly they are preening for each other. Which means being as obnoxious and loud as they can. It's too bad humans haven't evolved to select mates on better criteria than who can have create the most drama. Thanks reality TV!

[quote name='camoor'] Alot of this new generation feel like they are entitled to inherit the world just by showing up to an interview. Not all of them mind you - but you know the ones I'm talking about.
That's one of the biggest issues I notice too. It's one thing for my 5 year old to expect I'm here to serve him, because in many ways I have to, or else his health and safety could be impacted, but teenagers, and now "kids" in their early 20's want the luxory of living with mom and dad (in the rare event the parents are still married), the ability to treat their parents poorly, and the right for everyone to get out of their way if they aren't actively helping them succeed while they demonstrate little effort. It's pathetic. It's an expectation of entitlement.

I graduated college just a few months before 9/11 when the economy tanked hard for the first time. I worked swing shift assemblyline work, a former prof was gracious enough to let me work on some research projects of his, and I worked in a wholesaler warehouse before I finally found a "career". I wasn't entitled to shit, and knew that I couldn't be above certain jobs just because I graduated. Builds character, makes you appreciate what you've got, and creates strong work ethic. I'll be damned if I wasn't the only guy on the research project that was staying up to 3am to finish parts, or working harder and skipping breaks in the warehouse to prove my performance.

Edit: Quote fail. Ahh, screw it. I quote like old people fu...nevermind. Haa haa.

[quote name='berzirk'][quote name='camoor'] Alot of this new generation feel like they are entitled to inherit the world just by showing up to an interview. Not all of them mind you - but you know the ones I'm talking about.
That's one of the biggest issues I notice too. It's one thing for my 5 year old to expect I'm here to serve him, because in many ways I have to, or else his health and safety could be impacted, but teenagers, and now "kids" in their early 20's want the luxory of living with mom and dad (in the rare event the parents are still married), the ability to treat their parents poorly, and the right for everyone to get out of their way if they aren't actively helping them succeed while they demonstrate little effort. It's pathetic. It's an expectation of entitlement.

I graduated college just a few months before 9/11 when the economy tanked hard for the first time. I worked swing shift assemblyline work, a former prof was gracious enough to let me work on some research projects of his, and I worked in a wholesaler warehouse before I finally found a "career". I wasn't entitled to shit, and knew that I couldn't be above certain jobs just because I graduated. Builds character, makes you appreciate what you've got, and creates strong work ethic. I'll be damned if I wasn't the only guy on the research project that was staying up to 3am to finish parts, or working harder and skipping breaks in the warehouse to prove my performance.

Edit: Quote fail. Ahh, screw it. I quote like old people fu...nevermind. Haa haa.

Preach on my brotha

[quote name='dmaul1114']But I think that's why they are worse. I think a lot of the lack or respect etc. comes down more of them being social inept from doing most of their socializing through text messages, Facebook etc.

So you're getting the rudeness people express themselves with online now mixed into real life interactions.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the motherfucking head. I'm from the MySpace and pay-per-text generation but I work with Facebook generation younger than me that I know literally NOTHING about because any free time they have is spent with their nose in their phone. We'll be sitting on break and nobody talks, because they are all on Facebook or texting people they're going to see in another couple hours anyway.

Behind my back they talk shit about me that "I don't talk to anyone" and I want to go find them and pull them aside and say "It's because all of you are self-absorbed and obsessed with your online/texting life that you can't be bothered with the real life going on right in front of you." What are you supposed to do? Tell someone "Put your fucking phone down for a second so I can ask you how you've been, or what's new in your life."? They text something, put their phone down to take a bite of their food, and snatch it back up when it vibrates like it's Pavlov's bell.

I've also had a few times in the past year where I tried to tell someone of that type that I felt she was being shitty to me as a friend. And she always wanted to talk about it over texting. You can't talk about serious stuff over texting. Because texting is so impersonal, you type something out and they read it the wrong way or you have no clue what they mean. You need to see somebody's eyes or hear their voice to know how they're feeling even if they can't find the words to say it. But people today are jaded to real human emotions because of text-based communication, and it shows in the way they treat others.

[quote name='panzerfaust']As a college student I can say this probably is an actual issue. Growing up with so many distractions has made it very hard to focus on any one thing. I don't know about other universities, but I'd say half the kids here take adderall to stay motivated for school work -- legal prescriptions or not.[/QUOTE]

allowing students to use laptops and phones in class is a bad bad idea. was very diligent in high school up until sophomore year in college. in junior year, my profs didnt give a fuck and gave us freedom to bring in laptops and text in class. i got carried away and earned my first D. i mean, i worked and interned apart from just going to school. but i focused much less on my profs lectures after junior year (im a senior now) and browsed the web with my phone frequently in class.

but thats just my experience. i know some people dont get distracted easily. my classes were mostly in the evening and after work my brain was fried. but even so, if there were strict policies against the use of cellphones and laptops in class, i know i wouldve given 100% of my attention to the class lectures. i mean, prior to junior year my schedule was just as hectic but rules were imposed on the use of electronics during class lectures and i cant recall an instance when i took my phone out to check for emails, texts or just random stuff on the web.

A lot of the blame I think falls on parents. My mom teaches 5th grade, and she overwhelmingly encounters two types of parents: those who blame her teaching methods for their child's unanimously terrible grades (as opposed to their child's lack of effort), and those who simply aren't an active component of their child's learning. The former leads to the sense of entitlement that we're seeing permeate into adulthood, and the latter generally leads to laziness, among other things.

Kids these days having nothing to be afraid of, either. My tween years were in the late 80s.
Then it was made to seem like unsafe sex with a death sentance (everyone has AIDS!), and teen pregnancy was a shamefull thing that would ruin your life.

Today, you can have sex with anyone with no consequences (FWB) and if you get pregnant as a teen you might even get a MTV reality show and get on the cover of US Weekly!

Anyone think most of these CAGs in Training are of the younger generation as well? Ive noticed over the last year that they have been getting ruder with every post.

The problem with kids today is that they are spoiled beyond belief, & were told as children how special they are over & over till they actually believed it. Now they walk around with a sense of entitlement that previous generations did not have.

[quote name='kodave']Thank you for that. Sadly spot on in many ways too.

Now I need to yell at TWC for not including IFC in my cable package.[/QUOTE]

It's on Netflix instant watch but if you don't have that don't worry - I watched the first episode and that was by far the best thing in it.

[quote name='2DMention']Ahhhh hell.. go easy on them... Don't tell me you weren't like that at their age. I was (a little bit) :)[/QUOTE]

No.

See the video I posted, the 90s youth managed to be idealistic and unambitious at the same time, but when it came to the real world the kids weren't spoiled, they were just cynical.

Hoody-sporting internet startup millionaires and no-talent celebrities have convinced an entire generation of youth that they too can have it all for nothing. It's bullshit.

There are plenty of good kids with a purpose mixed in with the douchebags, just like any generation.

I was an absolutely awful teen, but I had a sense of purpose and I wasn't lazy. Meanwhile, my cousins were upstanding citizens who didn't lie, cheat or steal. Of course, I turned out far more interesting than they are, so maybe today's kids will be the most interesting generation yet.

I doubt it though. Video games are ruining our brains! :)

I can agree with a lot of what has been said, but I think there's something people miss. You notice people who act like D-bags, are drunks, fools, idiots, etc. and they get your attention and make you think "man, I HATE these people!". But, nobody notices when somebody is acting fine and doesn't stand out as like a mentally ill person.

Perhaps that is why some kids, especially the younger ones who will soon be acting like fools, act the way they do. Attention seekers who act stupidly because you get no attention when you are a straight arrow.

Not saying the foolishness of a lot of people, even adults, is OK though. Just saying, in summary, that people look at rotten apples, but don't notice the perfectly normal ones.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I can agree with a lot of what has been said, but I think there's something people miss. You notice people who act like D-bags, are drunks, fools, idiots, etc. and they get your attention and make you think "man, I HATE these people!". But, nobody notices when somebody is acting fine and doesn't stand out as like a mentally ill person.

Perhaps that is why some kids, especially the younger ones who will soon be acting like fools, act the way they do. Attention seekers who act stupidly because you get no attention when you are a straight arrow.

Not saying the foolishness of a lot of people, even adults, is OK though. Just saying, in summary, that people look at rotten apples, but don't notice the perfectly normal ones.[/QUOTE]

Nah it really wasn't like that in the past. The captain of the football team, class president, and lead in the school play all got plenty of attention. We may have bagged on the class clowns and potheads but once they had served their purpose as the butt of a joke we went back to ignoring them.

I understand why that has changed in a world where no-talents like the Jersey Shore kids, Hiltons and Kardashians can all get a lucrative tv series.

[quote name='mitch079']I'm pretty sure every generation says that about the younger ones at some point. We're old, man, we're old.[/QUOTE]

Yep....but you're prehistoric. :D

bread's done
Back