Import PSP Questions

Bravelionheart

CAGiversary!
Hey all.

So, here's my predicament. Basically, I'm going to be getting a PSP soon, and I've been having a lot of trouble deciding on what PSP to get. I don't like any of the color models offered here in the States: the black one is too easily smudged, the white one has Vader on it (and I'm not that into Star Wars), and the silver just looks kinda cheapy to me. I've fallen in love with the Felicia Blue PSP. And this is where things get complicated.

Play-Asia's recently raised the price of all their import PSPs by $10, bringing the total price to $230. Adding in the $27 shipping fee, and the total is basically $260, which is horrifically expensive. To make matters worse, I actually have $20 in Amazon gift cards waiting to be used -- meaning I could pick up a black PSP for $150 or the Daxter bundle for $180 (and the kicker is I have Daxter and a memory stick, so I don't need any of that stuff.)

So, do I pay an exorbitant fee, but get the color I really want, or do I get one of the much cheaper, stateside bundles, but end up with a color I don't care for at all? What are your thoughts, guys?

I was also wondering, if anyone here has an import PSP, what you guys think about it? Are there any headaches associated with having a PSP from another region? Is there anything I need to be aware of in regards to warranty (how do I replace if it has a dead pixel, etc.), updating firmware, or the like?

Thanks for any input you guys can give. :)

There's no headaches associated with having an import PSP, unless you want to play UMD movies, which are region encoded. The X and O button functions on the main menu are reversed, but that's not really a big deal either.

Personally, for that price difference, I'd get one of the American bundles, as color of the system isn't a huge deal for me. But if you really want a certain color, and can reasonably afford it, then I'd say go for it.

you know you could just pick up a third party battery cover for the white psp.

As for warranty, you dont get it when you import.

[quote name='62t']you know you could just pick up a third party battery cover for the white psp.[/quote]
Is that where the Vader silkscreen is, on the battery cover?

Yikes, how long have Play Asia's PSPs been that expensive? I don't think I paid over $200 for mine. If I did, at least it's a distant memory. I love my PSP, but $260 is pretty hard to swallow.

I'm very satisfied with my white PSP. I know it's not your first choice, but it's pretty slick compared to the black one. Plus the Vader image is on the back, which you'll never see unless you're changing the battery. You can just get a replacement battery cover like 62t said if it ends up bugging you.

As for your import questions, the major issue is the warranty thing. If you brick it, you're screwed. Not sure what various importers policies towards lemons are, but I'm not optimistic.

The exchange rate right now sucks. I picked up a Felicia Blue PSP while I was in Japan and if I had gotten it 2 weeks earlier, it would have been like $170 but since the yen is so strong, it would have been over $200 new. I managed to get a used one for 17890 yen (about $180). I figured no warranty on a new one meant I didn't need to pay new prices.

I got the Japanese PSP and promptly put a CFW on it. Here are my experiences. It works great. It was more expensive than a US PSP, but it's worth it.

[quote name='metaly']Yikes, how long have Play Asia's PSPs been that expensive? I don't think I paid over $200 for mine. If I did, at least it's a distant memory. I love my PSP, but $260 is pretty hard to swallow.

I'm very satisfied with my white PSP. I know it's not your first choice, but it's pretty slick compared to the black one. Plus the Vader image is on the back, which you'll never see unless you're changing the battery. You can just get a replacement battery cover like 62t said if it ends up bugging you.[/quote]
It's been above $200 for quite a while; I seem to recall the Slim PSPs always being $220, until just recently when they jacked the prices up (and of course, no sale on Play-Asia ever covers the PSP -- sad, because with free shipping, YesAsia's actually cheaper now.)

Hmm, if I could find a white battery cover (one that matches the white's color very well), that'd be just fine. I like the white PSP, aside from that stupid image on it (and I'm -just- OCD enough that it would bother me, irregardless of whether I could see it or not.)

[quote name='torifile']The exchange rate right now sucks. I picked up a Felicia Blue PSP while I was in Japan and if I had gotten it 2 weeks earlier, it would have been like $170 but since the yen is so strong, it would have been over $200 new. I managed to get a used one for 17890 yen (about $180). I figured no warranty on a new one meant I didn't need to pay new prices.

I got the Japanese PSP and promptly put a CFW on it. Here are my experiences. It works great. It was more expensive than a US PSP, but it's worth it.[/quote]

Whoa, that cheap?! Dammit, now I wish I could just go there and buy it. I mean, $200! If Sony released the Felicia Blue PSP here at that price, or I could get my hands on it for that price, I'd do it in a second. Bah! Curse you, Sony!

I don't plan on installing CFW (I'd only do it to play FFVIII on the go, honestly), but thanks, I'll read your post.

I put a custom firmware on my PSP mostly to get the buttons switched. Like I said, there was no risk of losing a warranty and it's so simple and brick-risk-free that a CFW really was the only way to go. Now that it's really easy to make iso's from your games (only do this for games you own!), it's a great way to carry a number of games without worrying about the originals.

I can use my PSP and UMDs like I use my iPod and CDs. Rip the original once and store them away for safekeeping. Put the copy on the flash and go without worry.

Here's a link to pre-order the extended battery pack for the White PSP Slim: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-io-49-en-70-2lim.html

I'd recommend it even if it bulges out a little as you'd get a very good battery life per charge. No word yet if this will be coming to the U.S. sometime but I might just wait anyway (maybe they'll release a new one with both the regular and bigger sized plain white battery covers, who knows).

And yeah the worst that can happen using a Pandora to install CFW is probably unbricking (which of course can't be done unless it's bricked) so I wouldn't worry about bricking it.

Yeah, the exchange rate sucks now. Good think I imported my Mint Green PSP, early march before the price jump.

To the OP, there is a $10 off Play Asia coupon you can use too.

[quote name='torifile']I put a custom firmware on my PSP mostly to get the buttons switched. Like I said, there was no risk of losing a warranty and it's so simple and brick-risk-free that a CFW really was the only way to go. Now that it's really easy to make iso's from your games (only do this for games you own!), it's a great way to carry a number of games without worrying about the originals.

I can use my PSP and UMDs like I use my iPod and CDs. Rip the original once and store them away for safekeeping. Put the copy on the flash and go without worry.[/quote]
How do I download the needed files from your blog? It asks for a Username and Password. But I know where I can pick up a used battery, so I may just do this. Thanks for pointing me to your blog. :)

To everyone else, is it possible to order something off of Sony's Japanese SonyStyle site? It looks like they're charging the actual price of Y19,800, and of course that'd be much better than the ridiculous mark-ups I'm finding everywhere else online.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']How do I download the needed files from your blog? It asks for a Username and Password. But I know where I can pick up a used battery, so I may just do this. Thanks for pointing me to your blog. :)

To everyone else, is it possible to order something off of Sony's Japanese SonyStyle site? It looks like they're charging the actual price of Y19,800, and of course that'd be much better than the ridiculous mark-ups I'm finding everywhere else online.[/QUOTE]
When did you try to download it? I took the name/password thing off last night. It should download without the need for one now. Is it not working?

[quote name='torifile']When did you try to download it? I took the name/password thing off last night. It should download without the need for one now. Is it not working?[/quote]
Ah, it's working now, thanks. I must've tried to download it before ya removed those.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']Ah, it's working now, thanks. I must've tried to download it before ya removed those.[/QUOTE]
When you get it working, would you mind posting your experiences in the comments section? I'd like to revise the entry if there are any "gotchas" I forgot about. Thanks. :)

[quote name='torifile']When you get it working, would you mind posting your experiences in the comments section? I'd like to revise the entry if there are any "gotchas" I forgot about. Thanks. :)[/quote]
Sure; it'll be a long while, if I even decide to do it, since I still have to get my hands on a PSP. :p

Speaking of which, I'd like to ask again: can someone from America order something from the Japanese SonyStyle site?

I have the FF Crisis Core PSP and the only problems that have slightly irked me are these: Skype function implemented about a month late, X and O button for cancel and confirm respectively.

I understand that those problems can be fixed via custom firmware, but I prefer the official firmware.

If you are planning on keeping this PSP for a long time and if you value it greatly, then why not spend a few extra bucks for the color you like? You'll be using it often, so it's definitely better if you are pleased instead of unsatisfied every time you look at it.

[quote name='jling84']I have the FF Crisis Core PSP and the only problems that have slightly irked me are these: Skype function implemented about a month late, X and O button for cancel and confirm respectively.

I understand that those problems can be fixed via custom firmware, but I prefer the official firmware.

If you are planning on keeping this PSP for a long time and if you value it greatly, then why not spend a few extra bucks for the color you like? You'll be using it often, so it's definitely better if you are pleased instead of unsatisfied every time you look at it.[/quote]

That's really why I want one; I dont want to end up resenting my PSP because I couldn't get the one I really wanted.

Hmm... does anyone know whether www.japanvideogames.com is a good import site? They have it the cheapest shipped, as far as I can tell.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']That's really why I want one; I dont want to end up resenting my PSP because I couldn't get the one I really wanted.

Hmm... does anyone know whether www.japanvideogames.com is a good import site? They have it the cheapest shipped, as far as I can tell.[/quote]

Haha what a coincidence. I can personally vouch for Japan Videogames as their B&M store is 5 minutes from where I live. If you ever visit Temple City, California make sure to give them a visit. The shopowners are very congenial and I'm there so often that we speak on a first-name basis. I love the store because they are willing to procure different games and collectibles for me, should they not carry it normally.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']
Hmm... does anyone know whether www.japanvideogames.com is a good import site? They have it the cheapest shipped, as far as I can tell.[/quote]

Yeah they are safe, got my J-PSP from them for the same reason. Its all about having the color you want. Shipped pretty fast as I recal...

Thanks for the input guys. :) I actually just created a thread in Shopping Discussion about them, but with your guys recommendations, I'm feeling more confident in them. Thanks for your opinions and help!

bread's done
Back