Important Paypal Information - Read This!!!

Chuplayer

CAGiversary!
I just got smacked with three instances of $1.50 bank ATM service charges from last month because of this garbage. The good news is that there's a workaround. The bad news is that there's not really a good reason why this is happening.

http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentr...010/05/14/paypal-visa-mastercard-debit-credit

Long story short, if you use your debit card with Paypal and expect to use it in credit card mode (no PIN, no ATM service charge), think again because Paypal is somehow circumventing the PIN requirement and processing the transaction as debit card mode.

If that sounds shady and illogical to you, that's because it is. I never expected this myself because I never use my PIN. I never even use my card in real life except for the very first time I used it. I'm going to have a long talk with the bank in a couple days and see why this was allowed to happen. I tried a closer bank today, but they were unable to help me because they weren't the place where I got my card. I expect to have to eat the $4.50 as a "you should've read the fine print" sort of thing, but it still perplexes me how they are able to process it as a PIN transaction without my PIN.

(Believe me, I tried finding a better source than a Ghostbusters website, but in two days of searching, it was the best I could come up with.)

I have a debit card with my paypal, so I'll be wary about this sort of thing. Thanks OP!

So why did you get charged $1.50? Because you withdrew money with the debit card through an ATM? If so, then they actually tell you those charges when you apply for the debit card.

Edit - Never mind. I understood what the hell you were talking about after reading the article. Luckily, there's always a nice balance in my paypal account to pay for the items I buy.

I'm looking through my debit history and the only instances of fees I'm getting are when I withdrew money from the ATM. I nearly always press the credit button when I use my debit card, but I'm not seeing any fees for it. I will try and keep an eye on this though, Paypal has always been sort of a shit company IMO, so this doesn't sound very unexpected.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I just got smacked with three instances of $1.50 bank ATM service charges from last month because of this garbage. The good news is that there's a workaround. The bad news is that there's not really a good reason why this is happening.

http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentral/scblog/index.php/2010/05/14/paypal-visa-mastercard-debit-credit
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, OP. I only use my Pay Pal card when I have Pay Pal funds, but this is useful info (I wish the article would've gotten to the point sooner, though)

[quote name='donkeydrop']Never have or use a debit card; they are just a scam for banks to avoid the fair credit laws.[/QUOTE]

You could at least try to explain the reasoning behind your off-topic post to make it somewhat intelligent.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Never have or use a debit card; they are just a scam for banks to avoid the fair credit laws.[/QUOTE]
lol no, there's no credit involved with debit cards. If you spend more than what you have that's your own damn fault.

That charge is because you have a shitty bank. I pay all the time with paypal taking funds from my bank account and never get a extra charge; most recently yesterday I made two purchases funding from my bank account only and no debit charges on my account from my bank.

[quote name='blissskr']That charge is because you have a shitty bank. I pay all the time with paypal taking funds from my bank account and never get a extra charge; most recently yesterday I made two purchases funding from my bank account only and no debit charges on my account from my bank.[/QUOTE]

It's like you've got a problem with concentration. Did you even read the article and guide posted in the link?

[quote name='Chuplayer']It's like you've got a problem with concentration. Did you even read the article and guide posted in the link?[/QUOTE]
Yes I did the charge is actually issued by your bank not paypal. Is it shady that paypal changed policies to complete the transaction so they no longer have to cover the fee's...yes it is... but that doesn't change the fact it's your bank making you pay the fee not paypal.

[quote name='blissskr']Yes I did the charge is actually issued by your bank not paypal. Is it shady that paypal changed policies to complete the transaction so they no longer have to cover the fee's...yes it is... but that doesn't change the fact it's your bank making you pay the fee not paypal.[/QUOTE]

:dunce:

Yeah, I just noticed this one recently on my last purchases. I just noticed I was paying more than purchases. The worst part is I can't even understand where exactly the fees came from when I click "payment details"

They are starting to piss me off. I really want to get out of Paypal but as long as I still have credit card debt from them I can't. :bomb:

I don't get it. All the "Instant Transfers" are made with my PayPal debit card, but I don't seem to be getting charged any fees.

69231432.jpg

[quote name='blissskr']Yes I did the charge is actually issued by your bank not paypal. Is it shady that paypal changed policies to complete the transaction so they no longer have to cover the fee's...yes it is... but that doesn't change the fact it's your bank making you pay the fee not paypal.[/QUOTE]
This. I let PayPal pull money from my account all the time and don't get hit with extra fees like you're talking about. Why? Because my bank doesn't charge an ATM fee. OP, you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. The fee is from your bank. PayPal used to pay that fee themselves, and no longer do. Is that shady and crap? Yes. However, it's perfectly legal. Get a better bank.

I actually just notices Bank of America charging me a fee related to PayPal. My PayPal account is linked to my savings account, and when I pay someone, the money comes out of my BOA savings account. Apparently however BOA charges you when you make more than 3 withdrawls from your savings per statement cycle, $3.00 per wothdrawl, so I got charged $6.00. I called their 800 number and got them to waive the fee, but it's still a bit irritating.

[quote name='spmahn']I actually just notices Bank of America charging me a fee related to PayPal. My PayPal account is linked to my savings account, and when I pay someone, the money comes out of my BOA savings account. Apparently however BOA charges you when you make more than 3 withdrawls from your savings per statement cycle, $3.00 per wothdrawl, so I got charged $6.00. I called their 800 number and got them to waive the fee, but it's still a bit irritating.[/QUOTE]

That's something most banks do. They don't believe you should need to make more than three withdrawals a month since it's a savings account, so they penalize you for "using it as a checking account".

[quote name='YodaEXE']This. I let PayPal pull money from my account all the time and don't get hit with extra fees like you're talking about. Why? Because my bank doesn't charge an ATM fee. OP, you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. The fee is from your bank. PayPal used to pay that fee themselves, and no longer do. Is that shady and crap? Yes. However, it's perfectly legal. Get a better bank.[/QUOTE]

You expected something more from a man who has sex with his dolls?

[quote name='YodaEXE']This. I let PayPal pull money from my account all the time and don't get hit with extra fees like you're talking about. Why? Because my bank doesn't charge an ATM fee. OP, you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. The fee is from your bank. PayPal used to pay that fee themselves, and no longer do. Is that shady and crap? Yes. However, it's perfectly legal. Get a better bank.[/QUOTE]

PAY ATTENTION, DAMN IT.

NOT ONCE did I ever say that Paypal charged me the $1.50 fee. NOT A SINGLE DAMN TIME. I said that Paypal charged my card in what I and everybody in the Ghostbusters link believe to be debit mode, a PIN transaction, without my PIN. That netted me a $1.50 service fee charged by my bank WHICH I ACKNOWLEDGED.

This is what's wrong with everybody these days. It's like everybody has a problem with concentration. You can't concentrate well enough to comprehend what I was saying. You can't concentrate well enough to put the effort into clicking the link and have the attention span to read something that is going to take more than 15 seconds to get through. You can't concentrate well enough to come to your own conclusions about the subsequent comments in this topic and take them for fact all the while telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you fall in this category, you probably didn't even read the above paragraph because I didn't put any bold, italicized, and capitalized words in it, and you only exist to further my point that it's like you have a problem with concentration. So go back and read the above paragraph now that I've pointed it out to you or just go the hell away. I know you know to do one of those because I know you read this since this paragraph is in bold, you moron.

[quote name='Squarehard']You expected something more from a man who has sex with his dolls?[/QUOTE]

lol

I have never came across anyone that uses the word 'concentration' as much as you chuplayer. I would suggest expanding your vocabulary as it is very annoying reading your posts ;)

[quote name='Chuplayer']PAY ATTENTION, DAMN IT.

NOT ONCE did I ever say that Paypal charged me the $1.50 fee. NOT A SINGLE DAMN TIME. I said that Paypal charged my card in what I and everybody in the Ghostbusters link believe to be debit mode, a PIN transaction, without my PIN. That netted me a $1.50 service fee charged by my bank WHICH I ACKNOWLEDGED.

This is what's wrong with everybody these days. It's like everybody has a problem with concentration. You can't concentrate well enough to comprehend what I was saying. You can't concentrate well enough to put the effort into clicking the link and have the attention span to read something that is going to take more than 15 seconds to get through. You can't concentrate well enough to come to your own conclusions about the subsequent comments in this topic and take them for fact all the while telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you fall in this category, you probably didn't even read the above paragraph because I didn't put any bold, italicized, and capitalized words in it, and you only exist to further my point that it's like you have a problem with concentration. So go back and read the above paragraph now that I've pointed it out to you or just go the hell away. I know you know to do one of those because I know you read this since this paragraph is in bold, you moron.[/QUOTE]

Your an idiot princess, you tried to be witty and tell me I had a concentration problem when I stated it was your bank not paypal charging you the fee and suggest I read the article.
Why don't you go play with your dolls, they don't make fun of you or hurt your feelings do they princess? They'll agree with you and don't have a concentration problem. You can undress them and dress them up anyway you like and take there pictures and they love it don't they princess. Too bad you can't find a real woman because your so pathetic.

:rofl: This thread is full of win.

As for me, the only time any bank I've used has charged me a fee is if I A) stupidly overdrew my account or B) used an ATM that was not theirs.

But just recently the bank I have my account with had a screen saying I was going to be charged a fee for using their ATM, even though it's their own frickin' ATM. So I had to go into the bank and see whether or not the fee was going to be charged or not. After talking with the one teller I was assured it would not be charged and I kept an eye on my statement for the next couple of months.

But as for the OP, it is your bank charging you a fee that apparently Paypal was covering originally.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But as for the OP, it is your bank charging you a fee that apparently Paypal was covering originally.[/QUOTE]

No shit, Sherlock. They took the hit for it as a credit transaction. They don't as a debit transaction. I don't need it explained to me again.

hm.. After looking through my bank record Ive never been charged with that 1.50 atm fee even after a couple of instant transactions on paypal.

bread's done
Back