Impressions of Civ V?

Tom Jane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
101 (100%)
Wondering what everyone's impression of Civ V is who has it thus far. I have the next three days off and love Civ games, but just wondering if it's worth a release pickup with the Kmart deal. Thanks! :)

I am going to bump this thread because I would also like to know some impressions because I tend not to trust IGN and the other reviewing sites

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I am going to bump this thread because I would also like to know some impressions because I tend not to trust IGN and the other reviewing sites[/QUOTE]

Same here, I like my reviews/recommendations from actual people.

But for completeness:
IGN: http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1122096p2.html
Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5643552/civilization-v-review-civilization-revolution?skyline=true&s=i
RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/21/wot-i-think-civilization-v/(cheeky Brit actually seemed to had a solidly unbiased review, albeit with typical English hilarity.)

I'm underwhelmed by the lack of pre-fab missions/campaign and pitboss support for multiplayer; but I've really loved the standard game so far. My only issues my minor, mostly cosmetic stuff with the otherwise great UI redesign.

I'm downloading the demo on Steam right now. I have never played a Civ before but for some reason I think this one looks awesome and I want to give it a shot.

I like it, still has that 'one more turn' quality. Haven't played Civ4 for several years, so I can't comment too specifically on the changes in strategy from that version to this one. It seems like a lot of the micromanagement has been streamlined (one example, happiness is empire wide versus individual cities). So far I think it's been for the better. It reminds me of the changes from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2.

I tell you what I was worried about the combat change and the UI change before getting it but after playing it on a small map with six ai opponents it runs much faster and smoother than any of the previous Civ entries.

The advisors only occasionally pop up the new icon based UI makes it faster to choose a production item and move on to the next. It slows down if the enemy are constantly moving but slightly. The graphics are nice and the combat is good but I don't like how slow the policy grow if you build a huge empire.

You may want to build only a city or two in order to get the most policies before building up.

Well I played the demo last night, looked up at the clock and almost 3 hrs later was done with my 100 turns/screwing around. So the next move was to obviously buy the game on Steam this morning. I surprisingly didn't feel too overwhelmed when playing the demo, I thought it would all seem more overbearing being my first Civ game and all. Can't wait to play the actual game now. Oh, and the game runs great on my 3 year old system, I was really happy with it's performance.

I played around 3 games, and each time at around turn 275, the other AI controled leaders would declare war on me and wipe my civilization off of the map. It did not matter if they were friend or foe. The last time, the Iroquois were my best friend and Ally. We hade trade pacts, open borders, I returned civilians when I found them...everything. But as soon at 272 came around..boom. Declared War.

So either the AI needs to be tweeked a little (which as any Civ fan knows, does get patched frequently) so they arent overly aggressive, or I was bamboozled and the AI is a kin to Skynet.

Great game, btw. Definately justified in getting this and leaving Halo Reach shelved.

Just downloaded from Steam...

hex vs. square field is an improvement, feels much more streamlined (some will miss the micromanagement I believe), AI is a little wonky.

I think if you were hardcore about Civ before, it's definitely changed some. I'm completely casual and enjoy the changes. bring on the mods!

[quote name='Number83']I played around 3 games, and each time at around turn 275, the other AI controled leaders would declare war on me and wipe my civilization off of the map. It did not matter if they were friend or foe. The last time, the Iroquois were my best friend and Ally. We hade trade pacts, open borders, I returned civilians when I found them...everything. But as soon at 272 came around..boom. Declared War.

So either the AI needs to be tweeked a little (which as any Civ fan knows, does get patched frequently) so they arent overly aggressive, or I was bamboozled and the AI is a kin to Skynet.

Great game, btw. Definately justified in getting this and leaving Halo Reach shelved.[/QUOTE]

Must be the difficulty you are playing at. I've had it declare war at different times depending on how well built my military is and whether or not they see me building an army. I've had war declared on me at like turn 173 and another time in the 300 range. It starts to lag in a huge map with several ai players though.

I think Civ V is a pretty good game. The combat is SOOO much easier without stacking, i can't just stack a million units and conquer the world anymore. The graphics obviously looks a lot better, and it runs very well and doesn't require a high ended system. I like the new hexagons, which greatly expanded the military options, i hardly noticed any big difference though. The diplomacy is pretty much the same as Civ V, but the leaders look a lot better and they speak in their native language. I speak french, english, and mandarin so I know that the "translation" text isn't actually a translation. For example Elizabeth says "i would like to enter a trade a agreement" while the text says "I tire of war, how about a peace treaty?" Must be a minor bug. The leaders speak a basic phrase for each catergory (trade,discuss,war, etc.) so don't take the translations literally:bouncy:. The cities are now a lot easier to manage, tedious at times, but not as tedious as the other games. The AI could use some work though, i was destroying Cathrine and when she had one last city, i offered her a peace treaty(no strings attached), and surprisingly, she said no. wtf? Other than that the AI is pretty good and realistic. The game is just as long as the other Civs, it took me 12 hours(longer than Halo Reach's campaign) to beat a game on a small map with 5 other leaders. (check my steam profile) The city states oftenhave small "side quests" for you and are a great addition to the Civ series. The government is now like a RPG skill tree, and you never lose anything u already upgraded. Unit balance is a lot better, it is no longer possibe to kill a battleship with a spearman. I was annoyed that many Civilizations and leaders were left out (seriously, no spain?) and the lack of a main campaign or at least some scenarios, I can find a good number of multiplayer games, but i never tried them. The game has never crashed on me, and i encountered no major bugs. Overall I think that Civ V's pros far outweight it's cons, which will hopefully be patched. I highly recommend this game.

Just finished a 5 hour marathon after buying Civ V today (with the Kmart deal, thanks Kmart guy!)

So far I am finding the game very polished and accessible. It all seems to be very intuitive. I don't know if I can tilt the camera for more of an overhead view tho, does anyone know if/how I can do that?

It's very streamlined and as I played my first game I was able to get right into the rythym of the UI. The way the game let's you know what's happened on the last turn is very polished and simple to understand.

I think it's a real improvement over the last Civ.

I have a quad core 2.40 with 3 gigs of ram and a 256 video card and the game runs just fine, altho the intro movie stuttered quite a bit in the beginning. And I like the intro movie from Civ 4 better. (Who cares, right?)

If you like Civ there's no way you will regret buying this one.

[quote name='venturin']Just finished a 5 hour marathon after buying Civ V today (with the Kmart deal, thanks Kmart guy!)

So far I am finding the game very polished and accessible. It all seems to be very intuitive. I don't know if I can tilt the camera for more of an overhead view tho, does anyone know if/how I can do that?

It's very streamlined and as I played my first game I was able to get right into the rythym of the UI. The way the game let's you know what's happened on the last turn is very polished and simple to understand.

I think it's a real improvement over the last Civ.

I have a quad core 2.40 with 3 gigs of ram and a 256 video card and the game runs just fine, altho the intro movie stuttered quite a bit in the beginning. And I like the intro movie from Civ 4 better. (Who cares, right?)

If you like Civ there's no way you will regret buying this one.[/QUOTE]
to get the strategic map, just click the little blue button on the bottom right of the screen.

[quote name='mediamixerj']Must be the difficulty you are playing at. I've had it declare war at different times depending on how well built my military is and whether or not they see me building an army. I've had war declared on me at like turn 173 and another time in the 300 range. It starts to lag in a huge map with several ai players though.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing on Prince right now, motherfuckers are all up in my grill.

We had our first war at around turn 30. Stay out of that one, then get dragged in around turn 50. That war ends with nothing much happening.

Some time later, Japan gets pissed off at me, declares war, then after I take a city of his, Greece decides "Hey, Rome is spread out, it's go time." Me and Greece swap cities while a lone Ballista on a hill is decimating Japanese troops. Get Greece off my back, then claim Tokyo for my own. Japan negotiates peace.

Things settle down for awhile, except for another city swap with Greece. Then Japan brokers a deal with Germany and Russia and all three come down, looking for a fight. Main defensive strategy consists of Legions/Longswordsmen dancing between hexes while Ballistae/Trebuchets are in rough terrain, making enemies spend extra movement to get to them. Each front has a Great General backing them up. Ranged units are slaughtering units and the melee guys strike against anything that comes in range.

Right now, I've gotten Germany and Japan to call off hostilities. Greece is lining up troops, but hasn't yet made a proclaimation of war. Russia just got to the war front, they're a few empires away, so they're not yet ready to not have everything destroyed.

This sums up what this current game is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJhNPBT7nss&feature=related

i played two games so far

played the first game on warlord. was a fairly easy affair. i really don't remember much other than screwing around and getting a domination victory. took everyone out easily, one by one, on my continent everyone had crap for tech so i just ran them over with a couple of advanced units. i nuked persia because they tried to sneak attack me with their spearmen. those assholes.

the lack of stack is kinda cool, hard to get used to though. the flanking bonus is nice though. government is kinda weird. reminds me of alpha centauri and there's a lot of policies that obselete themselves really early. another thing i like is how cities don't have stacks of units in them but their own defense. makes defending and attacking cities more logical. tech did seem a bit overpowered though... you would need 2-3 longswordsmen to take out a musketeer. as long as it's not like civ 3 where tech was non existent. spearman taking out tanks, don't mind if i do!

second game i played japan on prince. i went for a timing attack where i stacked everything towards military dominance the minute i researched samurai. crushed the entire continent, then hard teched to science victory and winning with 4-5 turns left.

what i learned in this game is how resources are really spread out. i had 54 iron on my continent, but not a single coal or oil. that's a bit unbalanced, i think. thank god i did the timing attack because otherwise i would have nothing in the late game, and i had to barter for coal with a city-state.

the other thing is that, because you end up building a lot less units thanks to no-stack, you also have a lot less production. no more can you have 30 maxed out cities, you usually have to choose specialties because it takes forever to build things, even with resource-focused cities. also, wonders don't seem to grant that many cool effects anymore, they keep nerfing them.

i dunno. it's alright. i still prefer civ 2 as my all time favorite. after would be civ 4 and civ 5, but i dunno in which order.

I tried out the demo today after watching a few videos and hearing many great things. Before I knew it my 100 turns was done and it was 3 hours later. I seriously said "NOOOOO!" out loud as I wanted so badly to continue my game.

I don't even know if I was doing anything right. I was just doing the research upgrades that took the least amount of turns, turning my workers on automatic and basically accepting any propositions anybody gave me. Now that I've got a better idea of how the game works though, I think I might be better prepared for my second game.

Man, it's going to take some willpower to avoid buying this one! Got to hold out until at least the holidays.

the more i think about it, the more i don't like it.

it's one thing to nerf things, but it feels so, so simple. i really don't like how expansion is so negative.... small, 5-6 city empires are actually manageable and preferred to 20-30+ cities because of the immense unhappiness and the corresponding increase to social policy requirements.

civ 4 is looking much preferred right now

because there isn't anymore stack, the AI is stupid. it is so easy to win. they have 40 units and you only have 5? no problem! it's a cake walk to take out their archers, and if you protect your siege unit you'll be fine, something they fail to do.

[quote name='kainzero']i dunno. it's alright. i still prefer civ 2 as my all time favorite. after would be civ 4 and civ 5, but i dunno in which order.[/QUOTE]
Let's see you get past thi-

Did... did your spearman just bribe my musket?

I don't know about you but I think the unit balance is a little better in this game. No tanks being destroyed by swordmen unlike in previous games. *Cough* Civ 3/4 *Cough* Musketmen do get wiped out by the medieval troops though.

[quote name='mediamixerj']I don't know about you but I think the unit balance is a little better in this game. No tanks being destroyed by swordmen unlike in previous games. *Cough* Civ 3/4 *Cough* Musketmen do get wiped out by the medieval troops though.[/QUOTE]
Civ 3 yeah, but then, Civ 3 is my least favorite Civ.
Civ 4... not so much, unless you play on a higher difficulty.

I think my thing about the musketeer was flawed because I was playing Japan, where injured troops are still strong.

I played another quick game yesterday. Tried going 2 city but I failed badly, I was running low on money when Egypt decided to declare war on me and capture my money city, and at the time I only had 2 units. Interesting tactic to go 1 city until early AD, but it did feel crappy. Also experimented with slingshotting to Renassiance to get the policy.

There doesn't seem to be away to sell/destroy building you don't want. I couldn't find any thing in the civpedia.

I think it's a very incredible game. The multiplayer is very fun too. Battles can be long or short, but you have the choice regardless and both can be equally challenging game lengths.

bread's done
Back