Impulse: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $25 (50% off)

Just got that email too. NFS: Hot Pursuit for $25 is pretty tempting.

Also, it's all Need For Speed games 50% off, not just Hot Pursuit.

[quote name='franz ferdinand']Just got that email too. NFS: Hot Pursuit for $25 is pretty tempting.

Also, it's all Need For Speed games 50% off, not just Hot Pursuit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just finished adding those to the OP.

Make sure you use the promo code from the survey- SURVEY2010

It takes an extra 10% off this...not much but its something.

[quote name='bdb2m']Make sure you use the promo code from the survey- SURVEY2010

It takes an extra 10% off this...not much but its something.[/QUOTE]

Ooo, I forgot about that! Will add it to the OP.

[quote name='apterous']How does Impulse work?[/quote]
Impulse works very similar to Steam.

You buy a game via credit card and download it.

With Impulse, you can use the Back-Up Utility to Archive an Entire game in its most patched-up state so you can back it up somewhere else (i.e. on DVD's, Blu-Ray, CD's, another HDD, whatever).

To reinstall a Impulse game and you have an Archived file - run Impulse program; click Archive feature; and point to wherever you have the Archived file stored. Then bang - reinstall in progress.

One thing I like about Impulse is that you don't have to run Impulse program/client to boot your game up. Impulse doesn't force things on you.

On Impulse, if a game has been patched, when you run Impulse - it will notify you that the game has a new patch by putting an "!" (exclamation mark) on the game's name. It's up to you if you want to update your game. Impulse isn't picky like Steam is, in that regard. If you want to update it, go ahead. If you don't - that's your call.

On Impulse, some games have DRM and some games don't have any DRM at all. That's all up to the publisher, namely.

If you're looking for Friends Tools like say that Steam has - nope, Impulse doesn't have that. Their community and forums are nowhere as huge as Steam's, unfortunately.

Would I get a registration code I can redeem on Steam?
Nope.

Impulse and G4WL refuse to sell any versions of any games that can be redeemed and registered on Steam - b/c Steam by default opens you to their store-front and b/c Steam's their main rival. Steam is everybody's DD rival, basically.

Steam has like over 80% of the DD market, it's projected.

If you buy something on Impulse, you got the Impulse version.
If you buy something on G4WL, you got the G4WL version.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='apterous']How does Impulse work? Would I get a registration code I can redeem on Steam?[/QUOTE]

No. The code is only redeemable through the Impulse client. Which is like Steam, except it's run by Stardock and you don't need the client open to run games. It only has to be open to download/patch them.

EDIT: Whoops! Myster beat me to it.

Damn when is the 360 version gonna drop?
The game was $35 during the holidays, how much more do you want it to drop?

How does Impulse work? Would I get a registration code I can redeem on Steam?
It's a service like Steam, so no, it can't be redeemed on there.
Think of it like Direct2Drive or EA Digital Downloads.

[quote name='Zimmy']
It's a service like Steam, so no, it can't be redeemed on there.
Think of it like Direct2Drive or EA Digital Downloads.[/QUOTE]

Some D2D games actually require Steam - and they will list that on the game's page, if it requires a "3rd party download" and a "Steam account".

D2D and Amazon Digital Downloads are one of the few who will sell Steam-required games...
i.e. Mafia 2, FO: New Vegas, Saint's Row 2, COD: Modern Warfare 2, COD: Black Ops, the upcoming Brink, etc.

[quote name='Zimmy']The game was $35 during the holidays, how much more do you want it to drop?
[/QUOTE]

to $35, currently at $50 and been there for a while.

[quote name='MysterD']Impulse works very similar to Steam. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up! I'd never heard of it and didn't realize there was another game download service competing with Steam.

I payed for NFS like 4 hours ago and still haven't received a confirmation email or download link.

Buyer beware from this place.

Steam let's you download it immediately after you purchase.

[quote name='Zimmy']I payed for NFS like 4 hours ago and still haven't received a confirmation email or download link.

Buyer beware from this place.

Steam let's you download it immediately after you purchase.[/QUOTE]

Really? That shouldn't be happening. When I've bought from them before, I usually get the e-mail right away. I would either e-mail them ([email protected]) or bring it to their attention in the forums. They're usually pretty quick at addressing any issues.

EDIT: Ah, maybe not.

"Sorry for the delay. I have responded to your support ticket. Note that as Stardock support was closed from Dec 24 - Jan 2, we are still working our way through the backlog." Link

I can understand giving your staff the holidays off, but they should have had at least a skeletal crew to address any issues that came up.

[quote name='apterous']Thanks for clearing that up! I'd never heard of it and didn't realize there was another game download service competing with Steam.[/QUOTE]

Impulse is one of the main ones trying to compete w/ Steam.

Well, there's many others DD game services around, too -> Gamersgate, GOG, Direct2Drive, and Games For Windows Live.

Some retailers are even jumping into it - such as GameStop and Amazon.

Some publlishers have their own download stores, too - i.e. Atari and EA Download Manager.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Really? That shouldn't be happening. When I've bought from them before, I usually get the e-mail right away. I would either e-mail them ([email protected]) or bring it to their attention in the forums. They're usually pretty quick at addressing any issues.

EDIT: Ah, maybe not.

"Sorry for the delay. I have responded to your support ticket. Note that as Stardock support was closed from Dec 24 - Jan 2, we are still working our way through the backlog." Link

I can understand giving your staff the holidays off, but they should have had at least a skeletal crew to address any issues that came up.[/QUOTE]

I saw that in their forums, too bad it's not Jan 2nd, it's Jan 12th.
If only their download link generator worked as well as their credit card info grabber.

bread's done
Back