Impulse: Sins of a Solar Empire - $4

Agreed. At that price /everybody/ should try it out. It's a fantastic game, and don't be afraid that you're not getting the "complete" experience because it doesn't include the expansions, because vanilla Sins has more than enough content to keep you occupied.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Agreed. At that price /everybody/ should try it out. It's a fantastic game, and don't be afraid that you're not getting the "complete" experience because it doesn't include the expansions, because vanilla Sins has more than enough content to keep you occupied.[/QUOTE]

QFT. There are also a TON of mods out there, but I haven't tried any of them.

I've never bought on Impulse before, but I've been waiting for a while for a good deal on this game. (I'm an old MoO2 fan)

Gotta give this a look for $4 bucks.

[quote name='psunami']I've never bought on Impulse before, but I've been waiting for a while for a good deal on this game. (I'm an old MoO2 fan)

Gotta give this a look for $4 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I loved all the Master of Orion games, but those were turn-based.. I'm always leery of RTS games, though I understand this game has some 4X elements.. Can anyone make a good comp to any other PC games?

I have purchased a lot of games from Impulse (because of great deals like this) and I have always been happy. Easy installation, no DRM, you can re-download as many times as you like. I purchased one game from Steam (Plants vs Zombies) and I wish I would have gotten it from Impulse. Also the head of Stardock, the parent company, Brad Wardell is anti-DRM because he realizes it does not protect game sales, just annoys consumers.

The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates.

Also Sins of a Solar Empire is an awesome game, especially for $4.

[quote name='Arnidor']I have purchased a lot of games from Impulse (because of great deals like this) and I have always been happy. Easy installation, no DRM, you can re-download as many times as you like.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify: Stardock titles (such as Sins of a Solar Empire) are DRM-free. You can still get other titles through Impulse that contain DRM.

Sins for $4 is a fantastic deal, though. I'd jump on this if I didn't already have the game.

[quote name='evilguy69']Anyone use impulse? Can anyone affirm the quality of the service?[/QUOTE]

Impulse is a good service. The people at stardock are good people who have a loyalty to the gamer

Read their gamers sill of rights Link

[quote name='evilguy69']Anyone use impulse? Can anyone affirm the quality of the service?[/QUOTE]

Never had a problem with them.

If anyone was worried about system specs, it runs great on my netbook, though mine's a bit different from atom powered ones.

1.2GHz Celeron SU2300 (dual core)
2GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Intel GMA X4500MHD

[quote name='LancerEvoX']If anyone was worried about system specs, it runs great on my netbook, though mine's a bit different from atom powered ones.

2GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
Intel GMA X4500MHD[/QUOTE]

What settings and resolution do you run it at?

[quote name='mrsamsa']What settings and resolution do you run it at?[/QUOTE]

I keep my settings at low-medium running at its native resolution 1366x768.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']If anyone was worried about system specs, it runs great on my netbook, though mine's a bit different from atom powered ones.

2GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

Hmm, interesting. That's more like a low-end laptop instead of a netbook. Especially at the 1366 x 768 resolution you mentioned. Who makes it and how much did it cost?

Oh, and I can also vouch for Impulse. I don't have this game yet. But I've heard so many good things about it, I'll get it tonight!

[quote name='mogamer']Hmm, interesting. That's more like a low-end laptop instead of a netbook. Especially at the 1366 x 768 resolution you mentioned. Who makes it and how much did it cost?[/QUOTE]

He's probably got an Acer series one, I've got the MSI X340, but the ones to look to now are the Asus UL30 series, they even make the Asus UL30VT that has a dedicated video card.

Getting back toe the game, anyone have any comments on how this compares to GalCiv2?

[quote name='mrsamsa']He's probably got an Acer series one, I've got the MSI X340, but the ones to look to now are the Asus UL30 series, they even make the Asus UL30VT that has a dedicated video card.

Getting back toe the game, anyone have any comments on how this compares to GalCiv2?[/QUOTE]

That I do. It's 11.6" and I got it for like $349 about like 5 months ago.
4036621853_82a74a8f58.jpg

Impulse works pretty well. You need to install a client to download and install your game, and to get patches, but the game will run outside the client, even if you later uninstall the Impulse client. Download speed is pretty good. The client lets you backup your downloads in a format that allows you to still access and install your games without internet access (though any additional DRM on the games may require an internet connection), or even if Impulse ever closes down.

There are more rough edges than somewhere like steam -- I recall it being a bit roundabout getting my game associated with my impulse account when I purchased through the website (where I had to make an impulse account to purchase), requiring me to copy and paste serial numbers from the receipt they emailed to me into the client once I had it downloaded. The client is somewhat unintuitive also, and eats up disk space during installation (it needs about 3 times the space of the game for downloading a copy, unpacking another copy, and then installing to a third copy), but it cleans up afterward and you can configure where it puts its temporary files (if you don't have enough space on C: for all three copies -- but configure it ahead of time or it will delete everything when it runs out of space unpacking or installing and you'll have to download the full thing again).

Also the claims of Stardock being Anti-DRM are a bit exaggerated. They say they hate "DRM", but have a very narrow definition of DRM; basically they're only promising not to install long-running Services or Drivers on your machine. Their games do still require online activation when installing or if you upgrade your hardware. You also have to associate Stardock games with an Impulse account if you want to receive bugfixes, and if purchased directly from Impulse I believe they are permanently associated with your account (no transferring is possible). That said, the level of DRM they implement is pretty standard fare these days, and like they promise it all takes place in the game's executable, not in an additional driver or service that gets installed. And that's just for Stardock's games, games from other companies on Impulse can have no DRM at all (mainly true of indies).

But overall Impulse is a pretty smooth and reliable service, and they do keep a lighter touch on your games than somewhere like Steam.

I've been thinking about trying this, but because I suck at RTS and 4X games, didn't want to throw away money unnecessarily. But this is less than what I paid for dinner last night, so I think I'll take a chance on it. Thanks for the post, OP.

EDIT: On second thought, strike that. I asked a friend about it and he replied, "sins of a solar empire is one of the hardest rts/micromanaging space based warfare games I've played since Homeworld. you will be cussing at the AI as they send both pirates and scouting forces to fuck with you."

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I feel bad for posting the $10 deal last week that was supposed to end in four days.

[quote name='DirkBelig']EDIT: On second thought, strike that. I asked a friend about it and he replied, "sins of a solar empire is one of the hardest rts/micromanaging space based warfare games I've played since Homeworld. you will be cussing at the AI as they send both pirates and scouting forces to fuck with you."[/QUOTE]
You could play on easy, you know.

[quote name='DirkBelig']EDIT: On second thought, strike that. I asked a friend about it and he replied, "sins of a solar empire is one of the hardest rts/micromanaging space based warfare games I've played since Homeworld. you will be cussing at the AI as they send both pirates and scouting forces to fuck with you."[/QUOTE]

It's not really that hard, nor is there a lot to micromanage... The AI can be a little unfair at times, but it's that way in a lot of games unless the AI is incredibly easy, which is boring.

As for pirates, you can turn them onto others rather than having them turned onto yourself. It's a bid war to which empire they attack and the player can outbid the other AI opponents without much effort.

[quote name='DirkBelig']
EDIT: On second thought, strike that. I asked a friend about it and he replied, "sins of a solar empire is one of the hardest rts/micromanaging space based warfare games I've played since Homeworld. you will be cussing at the AI as they send both pirates and scouting forces to fuck with you."[/QUOTE]

Sins has very little micromanaging compared to most 4X games, and even little micromanaging compared to most RTS games. Pretty much /every/ ability can be set to autocast (it's on by default), and there's no overwhelming "city screen" as there is in games like Civ. Also, the AI is pretty solid, but they aren't a huge threat on lower levels, or even on normal, although things may have changed in the last few patches.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are few RTSes that are as punishing as Homeworld, where you keep your fleet from mission to mission.

2GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

Would this game run on a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100?

I got a Thinkpad X61s and the resolution is 1024x768.

I picked up Galactic Civ II: Ultimate Bundle last week from Impulse @ $9.99 and have purchased 5 or 6 games from Impulse. Stardock is an outstanding company, and even though I am not a big fan of RTS (preferring TBS) I will probably snag this.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Link

Ridiculously good price on a ridiculously good game. If you have ANY interest in RTS whatsoever, buy this. I can't recommend it enough.[/QUOTE]

Totally!
Stop talking people, and get it.
If I had $4 to buy a ham sandwich for lunch or get this game I would just have to go a little hungry today.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I've been thinking about trying this, but because I suck at RTS and 4X games, didn't want to throw away money unnecessarily. But this is less than what I paid for dinner last night, so I think I'll take a chance on it. Thanks for the post, OP.

EDIT: On second thought, strike that. I asked a friend about it and he replied, "sins of a solar empire is one of the hardest rts/micromanaging space based warfare games I've played since Homeworld. you will be cussing at the AI as they send both pirates and scouting forces to fuck with you."[/QUOTE]

You can speed up or slow down various aspects of gameplay to suit your style and you can turn pirates off.

If I love RTS, but didn't like Homeworld because the z axis made my head spin, could I like Sins? Or is it very similar to Homeworld in navigation?

[quote name='mikejenks']If I love RTS, but didn't like Homeworld because the z axis made my head spin, could I like Sins? Or is it very similar to Homeworld in navigation?[/QUOTE]
There is a z axis, but you don't need to use it like in Homeworld. At least that's been my experience.

[quote name='mikejenks']If I love RTS, but didn't like Homeworld because the z axis made my head spin, could I like Sins? Or is it very similar to Homeworld in navigation?[/QUOTE]

Sins doesnt have you play with that axis it auto does it.

This game is great ive been playing it since it came out

[quote name='DirkBelig']I've been thinking about trying this, but because I suck at RTS and 4X games, didn't want to throw away money unnecessarily. But this is less than what I paid for dinner last night, so I think I'll take a chance on it. Thanks for the post, OP.

I disagree it does have a little learning curve but it is lots of fun. Im not a big 4x person and i love it it has depth to game play and takes some thought but is not that hard to get into

I have been thinking about getting this game for a long time at that price who can resist. Thank you for the heads up.

I've always considered getting this game and a bunch of my friends have been playing lately, for 4 bucks I had to bite. Thanks OP! :applause:

Crap, the serial they sent me doesn't work (say's it's not recognize by impulse). Time to hit support.

:EDIT: Well that's odd, there are two different order numbers in the email they sent me. Both in the same format and same amount of keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Impulse and got the game. Always wanted to play this game every since it came out, but was intimidated by game.

[quote name='L0sther0']Sins doesnt have you play with that axis it auto does it.[/QUOTE]
You can use the z axis manually.

I believe there is usually a registration key and an activation key when you buy a game on Impulse and sometimes they are not the same. The emailed order sheet should spell out which one is the activation key.

[quote name='L0sther0']I disagree it does have a little learning curve but it is lots of fun. Im not a big 4x person and i love it it has depth to game play and takes some thought but is not that hard to get into[/QUOTE]My problem is that I'm rather (read: really) mediocre at RTS games and while I've got both GalCiv games, I've never been able to figure them out. As I told my friend, "I've got tons of RTS games to play - Starcraft, Company of Heroes, World In Conflict, C&C3 and Red Alert, C&C: Generals, Star Wars: Empire at War - so I don't need another game to be ignored and/or sucked at." I'm just going to save my money. No knock on the game; I just suck.

Glad I didn't buy this in that last sale. Not much of an RTS fan, but for $4 I'll bite. I spend more than that on diet coke each day.

I also get a kick out of buying Windows games published by Stardock. I remember when the company founder was a huge OS/2 fanboy and used to get into these ridiculous flame wars on Usenet.

I can't speak for the integrity of the Impulse service as some place to buy from just because I bought a boxed copy of the game, but wow... this is an amazing price for this game. Honestly one of my favorite strategy games of all time.

[quote name='DirkBelig']My problem is that I'm rather (read: really) mediocre at RTS games and while I've got both GalCiv games, I've never been able to figure them out. As I told my friend, "I've got tons of RTS games to play - Starcraft, Company of Heroes, World In Conflict, C&C3 and Red Alert, C&C: Generals, Star Wars: Empire at War - so I don't need another game to be ignored and/or sucked at." I'm just going to save my money. No knock on the game; I just suck.[/QUOTE]
But you don't have any 4X games! :D

[quote name='mswierzb']I can't speak for the integrity of the Impulse service as some place to buy from just because I bought a boxed copy of the game...[/QUOTE]
It's not as good as Steam and the client kinda feels like anti-virus software, but it's still good.

[quote name='loomis1975']I believe there is usually a registration key and an activation key when you buy a game on Impulse and sometimes they are not the same. The emailed order sheet should spell out which one is the activation key.[/QUOTE]

I haven't got a reply from them yet but they've added the game into my Impulse account and now shows up under games.

Interestingly the key that is tied to the game is nowhere to be found inside the order email (nothing even similar in key format). Bazaar. :whistle2:s

bread's done
Back