Impulse: Sins of a Solar Empire - $4

[quote name='Pajama_Man']I haven't got a reply from them yet but they've added the game into my Impulse account and now shows up under games.

Interestingly the key that is tied to the game is nowhere to be found inside the order email (nothing even similar in key format). Bazaar. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

My email mentions a serial, but it is nowhere to be seen either.

I noticed that they have a trinity edition coming out with the expansions. Is everbody playing with the expansions now, $4 is a great price, but would I need the expansions?

hmmm... I have like over 120 games on steam and stayed away from other sites except good old games. I think it is about time I setup Impulse...

I think you guys are way overstating the learning curve for this game. Sins is NOT GalCiv. Sins is more like Supreme Commander in space. Its real time not turn based which I also find a bit easier to get into. Even playing vs the AI or vs the AI with a friend is a ton of fun. It was well worth the original price tag and entrenchment was down right amazing. I wouldn't pass this up. :)

This game is a little more complicated then Supreme Commander, being a 4X game and all.

Also, for those just starting out on this, some games can last for several hours, sometimes even days depending on the size of the map you pick and how you play.

And for those looking for a key, try right clicking on the game in Impluse (My Games tab) and hitting 'view registration'. Not sure which key this is exactly, as I didn't need one, but it may be the one you're looking for.

[quote name='Indignate']This game is a little more complicated then Supreme Commander, being a 4X game and all.[/quote]
Yeah, the only thing they really have in common is that they're real-time.

[quote name='Indignate']And for those looking for a key, try right clicking on the game in Impluse (My Games tab) and hitting 'view registration'. Not sure which key this is exactly, as I didn't need one, but it may be the one you're looking for.[/QUOTE]
That's to play online.

Very good RTS. I would recommend picking up the expansions though, the core game is a bit broken, which was fixed in the expansions

[quote name='leesiulung']My email mentions a serial, but it is nowhere to be seen either.[/QUOTE]

Yea their sales email can be a bit confusing. I'm guessing for Sins after purchase the game is entitled to your account and then you can view the key through the Impulse client (no key input required?). You might have to update or restart the client for the game to show up. The support reply didn't specify weather they applied the key to my account or it just showed up after the sale. Very confusing and I'm not really sure honestly. If the game still doesn't show up in your client I'd contact them and get it solved.

I'm glad I have the game now but their (Impulse) system is not very streamlined or easy to use as D2D or Steam's.

Well, I've been a big Sins of a Solar Empire fan for a while, but never got around to purchasing my own copy. I bit on this $4 deal and called all of my friends to jump on baord as well, THANK YOU OP!

Besides the Impulse client, I also found the serial key I was assigned by clicking on "Update Serial" in the launcher app that you use if you are not launching from Impulse. The field in game for registering an online account allows you to ctrl-v the key into it as well (although there is no right click there).

Since so many of us are buying copies, why don't we add each other as friends for multiplayer gaming? To keep this thread from getting cluttered, you can PM your online ID and I'll compile a list. If someone can point me to the appropriate forum I'll post the list there, or I can just PM everyone the updated list every couple of days or so.

[quote name='bvharris']I loved all the Master of Orion games, but those were turn-based.. I'm always leery of RTS games, though I understand this game has some 4X elements.. Can anyone make a good comp to any other PC games?[/QUOTE]

its more 4X than RTS imo... Kind of like a mix of Master of Orion with a bit of Starcraft-lite in there (or the space combat in Star Wars: Empire at War). Its super fun, just enough micro with the capital ships while the game as a whole is more about overarching 4X style strategy.

For that price, I had to finally check out this game (and Impulse)! Thanks to the OP, and to everyone who has weighed in on the game itself.

[quote name='caldazar']for those of you contemplating the expansions, it's more cost effective to snag this $4 deal and then pick up the expansions bundle for $19.99, rather than Trinity for $39.99 - http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W467
[/quote]

I'm hoping the expansions will go on sale soon now. But $4 is at least low enough to try out the game and see if you like it.

Some friends of mine have been wanting me to play the game for a long time now, so I don't have any good reasons left not to at least try it.

And definitely a good call about the expansions, Caldazar. Your point certainly helps finalize my decision to purchase it when I get off work.

Anyone know how frequently the expansions or expansion bundle goes on sale, or if it goes on sale at all?

i paid 30 or 40 for this like a year ago and thought it was worth it then. great rts just to play single player staging massive battles for a few hrs

[quote name='FeathersMcGraw']Just to clarify: Stardock titles (such as Sins of a Solar Empire) are DRM-free. You can still get other titles through Impulse that contain DRM.

Sins for $4 is a fantastic deal, though. I'd jump on this if I didn't already have the game.[/QUOTE]

So just to actually clarify, Impulse uses a Steam-style DRM scheme that also allows for third-party DRM implementations such as SecuROM?

Edit: I guess not. They really need to put an explanation of what their client is on their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought sins for 10 bucks last week, and when this deal came out, i emailed customer service asking if i could be refunded the difference. they gave me the 6 bucks no problem. think i used their support page form.

bread's done
Back