Impulse Stardock Sale

Zbornak

CAGiversary!
This week's Impulse sale features Stardock's games. Sins of A Solar Empire : Trinity (the game plus expansions) is $9.97 and Elemental : War of Magic is $19.97. SOASE has been under $5 before, but I think this is the lowest the bundle has been.

Just have to say that Sins of a Solar Empire plus the Star Trek or Star Wars mod = UTTERLY BRILLIANT! Hours upon hours of glorious joy! The free mods alone make this worth WAY more than $10.

[quote name='callmewoof']Just have to say that Sins of a Solar Empire plus the Star Trek or Star Wars mod = UTTERLY BRILLIANT! Hours upon hours of glorious joy! The free mods alone make this worth WAY more than $10.[/QUOTE]
Damn you. I think I'm going to have to buy this now.

I'm not trying to be lazy, but I'd just like the current word from someone with experience: What is the situation with Impulse? Is it like Steam? Some sort of client that I'll have to download? Last time I looked into Stardock, they were a DRM-free company. Is that still the case?

[quote name='midloo']I'm not trying to be lazy, but I'd just like the current word from someone with experience: What is the situation with Impulse? Is it like Steam? Some sort of client that I'll have to download? Last time I looked into Stardock, they were a DRM-free company. Is that still the case?[/QUOTE]

You have to download Impulse to install any Stardock games but it's not required to actually play the games. DRM is handled through your Stardock/Impulse account (so it's like Steam in that way), but there's no SecuROM or StarForce.

[quote name='peterthepwner']yeah he makes this sound so good... in for one aswell i think :cool:[/QUOTE]
I looked up the Star Wars mod and was all :drool:
Plus, I had a gamestop gift card lying around... done deal.

How newbie friendly is Sins? I am about 85% sure I want it, but is it something I have to have a deep background in RTS games to enjoy or can I pick it up with some RTS knowledge but not tons of experience and enjoy it?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']How newbie friendly is Sins? I am about 85% sure I want it, but is it something I have to have a deep background in RTS games to enjoy or can I pick it up with some RTS knowledge but not tons of experience and enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

It's sort of like real time Civ, just play against easy bots and figure out what works and what doesn't. You obviously won't be super efficient your first time, but it's not hard to get a hold of what to do. It's just kind of hard to be doing what you're supposed to as quickly and as well as possible.

I couldn't say no to this. Should of bought it last night but I needed to think it over. I been kinda looking for a planet conquest game for some time and this will do. Plus the Star Wars mod :D

hah I'll have to look into the Star Wars or Star Trek mods. So for SP, is there no campaign or story? Just fire it up and dominate the whole galaxy to get a high score? Rinse and repeat?

Also, what's the average length a typical game?

The expansion only really add gameplay options rather than anything into a story. The small.maps still take like 4 hours. It's got a ton of gameplay in it for the value. No story though. I'll have to try the mods. The only way I found its snail pace bareable was to hack the files to start with a ton of resources. Even then I didn't want to even try a large map but if I can recreate the Dominion War, thats interesting.

[quote name='IronSerif']hah I'll have to look into the Star Wars or Star Trek mods. So for SP, is there no campaign or story? Just fire it up and dominate the whole galaxy to get a high score? Rinse and repeat?

Also, what's the average length a typical game?[/QUOTE]

There is no campaign. Stardock talked about putting a campaign into one of the expansions while they were still in development. After Diplomacy was released, nothing more was ever said about that and the team apparently moved on to working on Demigod with Gas Powered Games. I don't think Brad Wardell (Stardock's CEO) actually likes campaigns and I suspect that's a big chunk of the reason one was never released.

bread's done
Back