[Impulse] Tropico 3 Gold = $8.99, DOW Collection = $11.24, and more...

Xealot42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
265 (100%)
Impulse has Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on sale for $4.99 (coupon code survey2010 drops the price 10% to $4.49).
The BC2 deal is now dead.

They also have some Weekend Impulse Buys:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rayne117']Did you get an email or anything with a serial number? I have no clue how to proceed either.[/QUOTE]
The emails I received told me that I can grab the serial in the Impluse app. So, I'm looking at it now. Install the app, login and go to the "My Games" tab. Right click on the game and choose "View Registration", and there's the serial key.

Now I just need to figure out if I should use the EADM, and if I do (or can), what difference would it make. Honestly I would prefer to play this with Games for Windows, since I already earned all the achievements for the 360 version (excluding some later DLC ones).

You have to download and install the Impulse software, using the software(it's similar to Steam) you can log in using the same account you created to purchase the game.

You can go to your "My Games" tab and it will list your purchased games and have a button to install.

When you highlight/select your purchased games there's a button at the bottom right that says "View Serial".

You can copy this serial key to your clipboard and install EA Download Manager for free, sign in using your EA account and then you can activate a product from the sprocket icon at the top right hand corner next to your username.

After you enter the serial into the dialogue box, Bad Company 2 will show up behind the box and you can download and install.

[quote name='hustletron']You have to download and install the Impulse software, using the software(it's similar to Steam) you can log in using the same account you created to purchase the game.

You can go to your "My Games" tab and it will list your purchased games and have a button to install.

When you highlight/select your purchased games there's a button at the bottom right that says "View Serial".

You can copy this serial key to your clipboard and install EA Download Manager for free, sign in using your EA account and then you can activate a product from the sprocket icon at the top right hand corner next to your username.

After you enter the serial into the dialogue box, Bad Company 2 will show up behind the box and you can download and install.[/QUOTE]What difference will it make downloading and registering with EA?

[quote name='prettycrazy']The emails I received told me that I can grab the serial in the Impluse app. So, I'm looking at it now. Install the app, login and go to the "My Games" tab. Right click on the game and choose "View Registration", and there's the serial key.

Now I just need to figure out if I should use the EADM, and if I do (or can), what difference would it make. Honestly I would prefer to play this with Games for Windows, since I already earned all the achievements for the 360 version (excluding some later DLC ones).[/QUOTE]

I don't know if there would be any difference between downloading the game through Impulse or through EADM. But I'm fairly certain there is no version of BC2 that uses Games for Windows Live. So no doubling up on Achievements like Fallout 3. And your stats from 360 wont carry over so you will have to start fresh.

[quote name='Xealot42']I don't know if there would be any difference between downloading the game through Impulse or through EADM. But I'm fairly certain there is no version of BC2 that uses Games for Windows Live. So no doubling up on Achievements like Fallout 3. And your stats from 360 wont carry over so you will have to start fresh.[/QUOTE]I know. For games that I really enjoy, I often buy multiple versions of them to 1000 & Platinum. Too bad there's not a GFWL version, it would be pretty cool to earn all the achievements for both the 360 and PC version.

Downloading through Impulse gets you the standard version of Bad Company 2, downloading through EADM lets you choose the Deluxe version with the same CD Key. As far as I'm aware anyway.

[quote name='hustletron']Downloading through Impulse gets you the standard version of Bad Company 2, downloading through EADM lets you choose the Deluxe version with the same CD Key. As far as I'm aware anyway.[/QUOTE]
Ah, Thanks. I Guess I'll go with EADM then.

Fantastic. I already own the 360 version of BF:BC2 but want to play with a PC setup sometimes. I'm glad I kept missing out on the other Bad Company 2 deals because this is the best price I've seen yet. Thanks OP.

[quote name='teknomedic']Not sure how I feel about that...
...can hope it's a early 4-1 joke I guess....[/QUOTE]

feel bad, feel very bad

I ended up ordering the game again because I never got a confirmation I bought it the first time (I also didn't get an error that my card didn't work). So now I have shot off an email to their sales department.

Not a good first impression.

[quote name='hustletron']I installed, got into a game played for 3 minutes, then PunkBuster kicked me for some reason.

Typical.[/QUOTE]Seriously? Urk. Can you shoot a message at Customer Service to see what the deal is? I have the game downloading right now. Hopefully I didn't waste 5$ doing the EADM thing.

[quote name='hustletron']I installed, got into a game played for 3 minutes, then PunkBuster kicked me for some reason.

Typical.[/QUOTE]

quit cheating!

[quote name='teknomedic']No worries... I do. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I feel bad too. I'm going to repost a reply I wrote to a thread started in the PC forum.

This makes me shake my head that Stardock has come to this. As a business, Impulse and its predecessor, Stardock Central, had a clear first mover advantage as a digital distributor. It was basically the first game content delivery system, many years before Steam. For many years, Stardock led the innovation in content delivery and patching. They were also very consumer friendly. It it was left up to them, I think Stardock would have stayed away from restrictive DRM.

Sadly, I think this stance against DRM is one of the reasons Steam eventually took over the dominant position in the market. Impulse/Stardock had a multi-year head start, the technology, the consumer-friendliness, and independence (Stardock games pose no competition to the big publishers) to become the dominant business. Instead, Gabe Newell became the billionaire.

I would love to have been in Stardock's position in 2000. It's only been in the last few years that my experience with Steam has been better than Impulse. Stardock had a very good chance to be where Steam is now. Even now, I think Impulse has a chance to compete with Steam. Stardock must be hurting financially, or maybe they received a very good unsolicited offer. If I owned Impulse, I would have kept fighting. Digital Distribution is a growing market, and Stardock Central was an app store before there was a term for an app store.

[quote name='prettycrazy']Seriously? Urk. Can you shoot a message at Customer Service to see what the deal is? I have the game downloading right now. Hopefully I didn't waste 5$ doing the EADM thing.[/QUOTE]

Apparently they don't download and install the PB updates automatically, I had to do it manually and it was fine.

Here's the link if u need it: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Download the Windows for All Windows Games version.

Unzip and run the .exe, it will need to update itself I believe then you'll have to choose the game drop the drop down menu and if you didn't accept the default install directory you'll have to point it at the directory where you installed, if you took the default then you just click update or next or whatever the button is and it will update it in a minute or so.

You'll know it updated when it tells you a version of PB for server side.

EDIT: Or you can just follow the walkthrough on the PB website lol.

EDIT2: Now my issue is graphical, the game took medium settings by default but when I'm in a game, smoke and some explosions appear as pixelated and colorful anomalies in screen, I've tried changed the texture settings, the VSYNC settings, and other stuff and it still happens, not sure what's causing it.

EDIT3: Fixed my graphical issue by changing the DirectDx=auto option in the .ini file to =9 if anyone else runs into issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
how long does it take to get this game? I bought it around 5pm PST and it is almost 9pm. Sure they say within the next business day, but i wanted to start d/ling this game before I cap off for the night.

damn i just played bad company 2 on a friends pc with his 470. I told him i would buy it to play on my 460 if it was 5$. IT was!!! and i missed it sad face :[

I have still yet to receive anything from Impulse about my purchase. I sent them an email about it and their auto-mated response didn't help.

Anyone else have a long delay when you bought the game using paypal?

What exactly is the difference when registering the BF: BC2 on EADM between choosing the regular and the digital deluxe versions?

[quote name='j-cart']I have still yet to receive anything from Impulse about my purchase. I sent them an email about it and their auto-mated response didn't help.

Anyone else have a long delay when you bought the game using paypal?[/QUOTE]
I payed with Paypal and received an email immediately. Check if they have a phone number for CS and call.. or you can check the App and see if it's under the "My Games" tab.

[quote name='UnrealZero']damn i just played bad company 2 on a friends pc with his 470. I told him i would buy it to play on my 460 if it was 5$. IT was!!! and i missed it sad face :[[/QUOTE]
Indeed. The game runs amazing on my EVGA GTX 470 on all high settings with 2 AA / 4 AF. I've yet to really mess with the settings, but I'm contempt with this atm.

[quote name='rayne117']I ended up ordering the game again because I never got a confirmation I bought it the first time (I also didn't get an error that my card didn't work). So now I have shot off an email to their sales department.

Not a good first impression.[/QUOTE]

UPDATE:

After sending an email to [email protected] last night I received a reply this morning, my problem has been rectified and I am currently downloading the Digital Deluxe Edition of BFBC2 from EA's Download Manager.

Here is the email I received:

Hello,

Only one order for Battlefield Bad Company 2 went through (order -----------) and we have resent your receipt.

Your account may reflect what are called "preauthorizations" for each of your failed order attempts. No money has been removed from your account, however, when you submit your order, the money is held by your bank for the charge. If your information cannot be verified by our store, the transaction is voided in our system and the money released from the preauthorization. As long as your financial institution reads the void we submit to them, the pending charge should be removed from your account within 1-2 business days.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

I "purchased" the game when it was on sale, yet didn't receive an email. The service rep helped me get it all cleared up.

I was able to download the game in EADM this morning. The email wasn't received until 7:30 AM PST (bought it 6PM the previous day).

I was able to chat with someone in the stardock irc room. They just said that they received a huge volume of people buying the game that their queues were bottlenecking.

Just heads up.

bread's done
Back