In Need of Help (Router Related)

D_Icon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I have never used routers before, but an uncle (who doesn't know very much either) said that to play my PS3 online without disconnecting and connecting the cable modem I needed a router.

This is what I want to do. I want my PS3 online without having to plug in the modem to it. It's kind of annoying to have to take the modem from my room to the basement, and back again when I need to use the computer.

If I get a router how would I set it up? I have comcast internet hooked up to my computer in my room, and I have the PS3 in the basement. Usually when I play online games on the PS3 I have to take the modem from my room to the basement, and back up again when I need to use the internet on the computer.

Is the router setup process easy? Do I just plug in the ethernet cable instead to the back of the computer to the router? Which router would I get? Any advice appreciated.

At least someone recommend the best wireless router.

I have a computer using a cable modem provided by Comcast internet in one room in the house. I have the PS3 in another room in the house, which router should I get to access the internet on the PS3 without having to bring down the cable modem to the PS3?

I would recommend one of these two routers:

Linksys WRT54GL or the Linksys WRT54G2.

Does your PS3 have WiFi? If it does, then you simply plug in those wireless routers and voila, no more moving the modem.

This should take care of your needs. It's very simple to setup. Put the modem next to the router, then connect them together with an ethernet cable. Once that is done you'll have a fully functioning wireless network that you'll be able to hook up both your PS3 and computer to.

Just make sure that you secure it with a password. The instruction manual should have pictures and other stuff to help you out.

Although I'm warning you right now that you may have some weak signal issues since the PS3 is in the basement, which will make it harder for the signal to get through. If that's the case then you might want to get some signal boosters.

I have the 80GB with limited bc, it came bundled with MotorStorm. Does that one have wifi?

As for the routers I'm gonna go see which one Staples has. Thanks for the recommendations.

[quote name='darthbudge']I would recommend one of these two routers:

Linksys WRT54GL or the Linksys WRT54G2.

Does your PS3 have WiFi? If it does, then you simply plug in those wireless routers and voila, no more moving the modem.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']This should take care of your needs. It's very simple to setup. Put the modem next to the router, then connect them together with an ethernet cable. Once that is done you'll have a fully functioning wireless network that you'll be able to hook up both your PS3 and computer to.

Just make sure that you secure it with a password. The instruction manual should have pictures and other stuff to help you out.

Although I'm warning you right now that you may have some weak signal issues since the PS3 is in the basement, which will make it harder for the signal to get through. If that's the case then you might want to get some signal boosters.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. For the weak signal issue, should I keep the cable Modem by the PS3, and have the computer use the wireless signal? That should work to right?

Okay, I'm gonna go with Linksys (WRT54G2) Wireless-G Broadband Router. My nearest Staples has is it.

Like XxFuRy2Xx mentioned, I'm worried about the weak signal problems. I'll but it, try it out and if it doesn't work I'll return it.

It's like I'm at work already.

If you can, go wired from the router to your PS3. Dropping a packet while playing a FPS is a bigger deal than doing it while posting a message.

I just came back from Staples empty handed:cry:. While the guy was getting the router for me (behind glass case) he asked me what kind of internet I had. I told him comcast cable internet, he then asked me if I was getting a wireless service from Comcast? I said just regular Cable internet, he then told me I wouldn't be able to use the router until I get the wireless service first?

So I need to order wireless internet service from comcast before using a router?

[quote name='D_Icon']I just came back from Staples empty handed:cry:. While the guy was getting the router for me (behind glass case) he asked me what kind of internet I had. I told him comcast cable internet, he then asked me if I was getting a wireless service from Comcast? I said just regular Cable internet, he then told me I wouldn't be able to use the router until I get the wireless service first?

So I need to order wireless internet service from comcast before using a router?[/QUOTE]

#-o

Never trust somebody with their name on their shirt.

Comcast or any other ISP might want to charge you extra for wireless access. However, their system only cares about MAC addresses.

Have you tried?

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/Help.aspx

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/SearchResults.aspx?terms=wireless

Home Networking 101

What is a home network? A home network is a series of Internet devices (PC's, gaming consoles, PDA's) connected together. A home network may consist of several PC's, gaming consoles, etc - all in different rooms. When you connect multiple devices together in a home network, you can share files, printers and your Internet connection.
What is a router?
A router is a networking device that connects multiple networks together, for example, your home network and the Internet (the world's largest network). A router allows each of your Internet devices to share the same cable modem Internet connection.
Are there different types of home networks?
There are two kinds of home networks, wired and wireless. The most basic difference is that wired networks communicate through data cables, while wireless networks communicate through radio signals.
Things to Remember When Setting up or Changing Your Home Network

When your computer is connected directly to your cable modem, you are provided with an IP address lease that is bound to your computer's Media Access Control (MAC) address. Each cable modem is assigned only one IP address. If you reconfigure your home network, or if you purchase a new router, you will need to release your IP address before reconfiguring or plugging in your new router. If your IP address is not released, the reconfigured or new router cannot be recognized on Comcast's servers. After you have released your IP address, you can reconfigure or add your new router and your IP address can be obtained.

To release the IP configured for your Comcast Cable modem or eMTA (Digital Voice modem) follow these steps:

For a cable modem:

1. Shut down your computer
  2. Disconnect the power supply from your cable modem
  3. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your cable modem
  4. Connect the Ethernet cable for your router (link port) to the cable modem
  5. Connect the Ethernet cable for the port recommended by the router manufacturer to your computer
  6. Turn on the cable modem and allow it to cycle through and lock onto the network (approximately 90 seconds)
  7. Turn on your router and allow it to cycle through (approximately 90 seconds) at this point, the router has obtained a new IP address from Comcast
  8. Turn on your computer. You will notice the computer now has the private IP range provided by the router
  9. Configure your router in compliance with the manufacturer's guidelines
For an eMTA (Digital Voice) modem:

1. Shut down your computer
  2. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your cable modem
  3. Connect the Ethernet cable for your router (link port) to the cable modem
  4. Connect the Ethernet cable for the port recommended by the router manufacturer to your computer
  5. Powercycle the eMTA - to do this, take a ball point pen and lightly depress the reset button on the back of your eMTA
    Warning: Never remove the battery and then disconnect it from the power supply to powercycle an eMTA. Allow it to cycle through and lock onto the network (approximately 90 seconds).
  6. Turn on your router and allow it to cycle through (approximately 90 seconds). At this point, the router has obtained an IP address from Comcast
  7. Turn on your computer. You will notice the computer now has the private IP range provided by the router
  8. Configure the router in compliance with the manufacturer's guidelines
If your computer does not obtain a private IP address from your router, try the following steps.

To release your IP address, follow the steps below for your operating system:

Windows Vista

1. Click Start and then click All Programs
  2. Click Accessories
  3. Right click on Command Prompt
  4. Select Run as Administrator
  5. Type ipconfig/release and then click Enter
Windows XP/2000

1. Click the Start menu in the lower left-hand corner of the screen and click Run
  2. In the space provided, type ipconfig/release and click ok
    Note: There is a space between ipconfig and /release
Mac OS 10.x

1. Close any open Internet applications (Web browsers, email, etc.)
  2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu
  3. Choose Network from the View menu
  4. Choose Active Network Ports from the Show menu
  5. Deselect the on checkbox for the port you use to connect to the Internet (Built-in Ethernet, Airport, etc.)
  6. Click Apply Now
The image below gives a basic outline of what a typical home network may look like.
hn101.gif

Printer-friendly version

If you're still confused, reread the above.

[quote name='shrike4242']The guy at Staples is an idiot.

You don't need to order anything from Comcast to use a router.[/QUOTE]

This, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but it doesn't surprise me since most retail employees don't know what they are talking about. Think of a router in the same sense as a splitter for cable. It basically shares the signal between multiple pc's and other devices that use the internet. If you have cable internet, that's all you need. The router will do the rest of the work for you.

fatherofcaitlyn, I was just reading that this morning. I'm going back and get that router.

I appreciate the help guys.

The process is extremely easy, as many in here already mentioned. The Staples employee was incorrect; you could use a router without issues.

The biggest, most important piece is to put security on your wireless network. Set it up with WPA2. The PS3 is fully comptaible with it, and it's not difficult. Follow the directions that come with the router, and you will be set.

If you don't secure your wireless network, random users around you could simply connect and steal your bandwidth. This only slows down your network, and you don't want that (especially when gaming).

I just finished setting up the router, and everything supposedly was installed fine. I go down to the basement and try to set up the PS3, I went to Network Setting, wireless, easy, scan, found my SSID (Roman), entered the password, then the PS3 went to the final screen. It Obtained the IP address, but the internet connection failed.

Any help? Oh, I was getting 37% signal strength on the PS3.

Also, on the DS Pokemon game I tried using the wifi function, I scan for an access point and my SSID pops up, but I select it I get the message saying"access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS".

My main concern though is the PS3.

If you want the DS to connect to it, you can only use WEP for security, as the DS can't do WPA or WPA2.

37% signal strength isn't great, which might be why you're having issues with the Internet connection.

theres no phone by the router. i gave up it was so frustrating . afterwards it was apain in the butt trying to get my old set up back. before i just brought my modem to the ps3, but after changing the ps3s settings to wireless i couldnt get my modem to work on my ps3.. i really appreciate u guys helping me out. i have to read something on computer linguistics, i have no idea what all these acronyms stand for.

again guys thanks for your help u guys can really come through, much appreciated.

bread's done
Back