In-Stock @ Konami.com "Limited Edition Gunmetal MGS4 PS3 Bundle" $599

Although people probably want it for the novelty, it really is a terrible deal. I wonder if the PS3 will see a price drop this holiday

[quote name='mywhitenoise']When was it ever out of stock?[/quote]
There were times during the preorder phase where Konami removed the Add to Cart button. I think this had two purposes: 1. To trickle out supply instead of a mad rush on day one and 2. to build hype

[quote name='outphase']There were times during the preorder phase where Konami removed the Add to Cart button. I think this had two purposes: 1. To trickle out supply instead of a mad rush on day one and 2. to build hype[/quote]

Yeah, but it was NEVER out of stock. They thought demand was high, but it was getting more cancelations than orders haha!
In fact, I've been watching Konami's site for weeks, and I haven't seen it out of stock at all.

I've noticed the same thing. I don't think they ever made more; Konami is pretty good at keeping Limited Editions actually limited. The demand wasn't high enough for it to sell out.

If I had the money, that thing would be mine in a heartbeat.

Still waiting for Sony to announce PS3s with full-BC returning after E3, sucks that my only chance to get an 80 GB model was during the MGS 4 release & it sold out pretty quick everywhere. Now its only the 40 GB model & I'm not buying the loser model, thats like the 360 Core/Arcade right now =\

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Still waiting for Sony to announce PS3s with full-BC returning after E3, sucks that my only chance to get an 80 GB model was during the MGS 4 release & it sold out pretty quick everywhere. Now its only the 40 GB model & I'm not buying the loser model, thats like the 360 Core/Arcade right now =\[/quote]

Those MGS 80GB models are still in production.

I have this bundle opened in front of me right now. And it's sucks. The "matte" finish is not matte at all, and the color is alot darker than in the picture. From 5 feet away you can't tell it from a normal black PS3.

BTW, it was suppose to be limited to 10k.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryocho']I have this bundle opened in front of me right now. And it's sucks. The "matte" finish is not matte at all, and the color is alot darker than in the picture. From 5 feet away you can't tell it from a normal black PS3.

BTW, it was suppose to be limited to 10k.[/quote]

It's a little lighter, but I do agree...I wish there was a bigger difference between the two. Here's mine next to my 60GB.
DSC01805.jpg

I was one of those that preordered on the 5th day and canceled. The 80GB MGS Bundle far exceeds this bundle in usability value.

[quote name='Bazz']Did this ever sell out?[/QUOTE]

IMHO no. What happened was that Konami released about 500/day over about a week or so. As each day passed, it became easier to get one. I ordered then cancelled since demand did not exceed supply, hence, they're still available today. I've checked pretty much every day and they've never been sold out after the first 7-8 days they went on sale.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']It's a little lighter, but I do agree...I wish there was a bigger difference between the two. Here's mine next to my 60GB.
DSC01805.jpg
[/quote]

LMFAO where is Arus screaming "NEWCASENEWCASE"

Got mine and I actually think the color is too light. Looks good in my media cabinet though since it looks darker.

BTW, it never sold out. Thread just got moved to the Deal Graveyard.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Those MGS 80GB models are still in production.[/quote]
I haven't seen any new shipments at Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target etc. & I live in NYC =(

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I haven't seen any new shipments at Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target etc. & I live in NYC =([/quote]

See my addition to the 80GB bundle thread -- I spotted the bundle in NYC yesterday for $499. Go to the Virgin Megastore at Union Square and they might still have one in stock (they had two on July 3 when I was there). With a Virgin card, you'll get an additional $25 off.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I haven't seen any new shipments at Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target etc. & I live in NYC =([/quote]

I saw some at my local gamestop earlier this week (80GB MGS4 bundle); I inquired about them and they told me it was their 3rd shipment.

[quote name='autche']I saw some at my local gamestop earlier this week (80GB MGS4 bundle); I inquired about them and they told me it was their 3rd shipment.[/QUOTE]

I think the last 3 posts have all talked about the wrong bundle.

I guess most people still don't even know what this Gunmetal bundle is.

[quote name='OGHowie']I think the last 3 posts have all talked about the wrong bundle.

I guess most people still don't even know what this Gunmetal bundle is.[/quote]
Not a mistake though, I only want the regular 80 GB MGS 4 ones, not this..."$100 more for a different, uglier color" bundle.

I wish people would read more often...

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I'd love to see more pics of the gunmetal PS3.[/quote]

I'll take some more when I get mine back on Tuesday. The PS logo popped off the day I got it! haha.
So I asked Sony to replace it. I paid almost $700 for that thing, I'm not going to have a cheap looking PS logo.
I have a video of it on my youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_LEcMIl48

[quote name='OGHowie']I think the last 3 posts have all talked about the wrong bundle. I guess most people still don't even know what this Gunmetal bundle is.[/quote]

I guess some people ought to read carefully before presuming that others are ignorant. The comment that triggered later posts about the 80GB bundle was this:

I was one of those that preordered on the 5th day and canceled. The 80GB MGS Bundle far exceeds this bundle in usability value.

Even the person you're quoting, OGHowie, took care to differentiate between the Gun Metal and 80GB bundles. Note the ref to the 80GB bundle in parens. If the poster hadn't comprehended, there would be no reason to make the distinction.

What you're seeing is the same majority who prefer the 80GB bundle posting here as have posted elsewhere. The question is not whether they understand the difference but whether it's rude for them to post about availability of one bundle on a thread devoted to another. And if you're making that argument, then you'd have to accuse the OP of rudeness as well, since they originally posted on the 80GB thread. (Personally, I didn't find their posts on that thread to be rude.)

Still -- if you're looking for reasons to feel good about the 40GB bundle, visit the PS3 sub-forum on AVSForums. Blu-Ray playback fanatics seem to prefer the 40GB because it's quieter and runs cooler than the 80GB, which is an earlier iteration and seems to have created heat issues for some users.

[quote name='fidgeteer']
Still -- if you're looking for reasons to feel good about the 40GB bundle, visit the PS3 sub-forum on AVSForums. Blu-Ray playback fanatics seem to prefer the 40GB because it's quieter and runs cooler than the 80GB, which is an earlier iteration and seems to have created heat issues for some users.[/quote]

Haha, that's the reason I got the 40GB...as the video above shows.

What is this? A part two to Wampa's original thread? For those few of us ordered this gunmetal PS3 bundle, we know the "real" deal is...

Konami messed up the orders, some people got it for free, others got two for the price of one. A very few returned on the principle of morality or fear of "later" CC charges.

i'm kinda glad i cancelled my preorder. i don't have the urge to get it anymore even tho i have the cash for it now.

and all the guys are right, it was never out of stock.

[quote name='metaly']Someone please order one and sell me the controller.[/quote]

LOL, join the club... i believe whitenoise and some others willing to pay $100 for the gunmetal controller. It was tempting, but hell no, no way i'm gonna break up the set, no way (color it yourself, most people would suggest).

Me still working on the gunmetal PSP slim...

[quote name='fidgeteer']Still -- if you're looking for reasons to feel good about the 40GB bundle, visit the PS3 sub-forum on AVSForums. Blu-Ray playback fanatics seem to prefer the 40GB because it's quieter and runs cooler than the 80GB, which is an earlier iteration and seems to have created heat issues for some users.[/QUOTE]

awesome, didnt know this little piece of info. since i wanted to buy another ps3 to use solely as a blu-ray player i may go for a 40gb. just waiting to see if the rumored price drop happens. i read on a thread here $100 in August?

i want one, but can't be bothered with buying one on top of my 60 gb. if i come into some money imma buy one so i have an extra blu ray player.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Haha, that's the reason I got the 40GB...as the video above shows.[/quote]

True dat, monsieur: the soundtrack of your video evidences the Gun Metal PS3's relative quiet.

Which makes me wonder if I'll be happy ultimately with SACD performance on the 80GB -- deafening fan noise doesn't mix well with a Shostakovich string quartet.

Some would say I ought to hold out for a larger capacity PS3 that uses a later chipset. But that would presuppose Sony decided to keep SACD and backward compatibility for every higher capacity PS3. And that's a scenario of which we can't be sure.

It's an absolutely terrible deal. $100 extra for gray paint and 40GB less hard drive space. I do think the gray looks terrific, but I just can't understand why it costs so much more.

If they would have made the limited edition an 80GB at the same price, it would probably sell a lot better.

[quote name='ak74ismystyle']I do think the gray looks terrific, but I just can't understand why it costs so much more.[/quote]

Pay a visit to play-asia or japanvideogames and have a look at the Japan-only special editions (PSP, PS3, etc.). You might not find the prices justifiable, but at least you'll see the precedent.

[quote name='Link127']awesome, didnt know this little piece of info. since i wanted to buy another ps3 to use solely as a blu-ray player i may go for a 40gb. just waiting to see if the rumored price drop happens. i read on a thread here $100 in August?[/quote]

Glad to be of service, Link127.

If you've already got a PS3, you might want to wait. It's possible there will be a larger capacity PS3 with a later chipset, or a reduction in price for the 40GB should Sony release a 120GB or new iteration. We do know Sony has filed at least one new patent on new PS3 tech. In February 2008, they also filed a "Permissive Change Letter" with the FCC re future PS3 iterations.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Link127']awesome, didnt know this little piece of info. since i wanted to buy another ps3 to use solely as a blu-ray player i may go for a 40gb. just waiting to see if the rumored price drop happens. i read on a thread here $100 in August?[/quote]
you do realize it's quite easy to find just a blu-ray player for $325 or less?

[quote name='Link127']awesome, didnt know this little piece of info. since i wanted to buy another ps3 to use solely as a blu-ray player i may go for a 40gb. just waiting to see if the rumored price drop happens. i read on a thread here $100 in August?[/QUOTE]

Sony this year has pledged to turn the PS3 business a profit this year, so unless the 360 is doing really well for a long time after its price cut. Most likely the price will stay at $400 for the rest of the year. Best bet is to hope one for one those Walmart deals ($400 + tax, but receive $100 gift card) turns up again. The Gunmetal MGS4 PS3 is definetely not the cheapest option for a 100% blu-ray player.

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']you do realize it's quite easy to find just a blu-ray player for $325 or less?[/quote]

OT, but most posts are OT anyway...

Of course there are other BD players, but why bother paying $325 or something like that for just a BD player? Oh, okay, it does dvd upscaling too... But that's not the point, the standalone BD players can't do external hdds (at least not the $325 ones), which is really handy if you got couple of episodes of this and that and swap with a friend or something. And i know, people don't care about playing games, but still, it's value added anyway. Maybe not PS3 or even PS2 games, but what about PSN games or interactive arts? You do want to keep the option open and for extra $75, you get all of those options, so why not...

[quote name='Serpentor']OT, but most posts are OT anyway...

Of course there are other BD players, but why bother paying $325 or something like that for just a BD player? Oh, okay, it does dvd upscaling too... But that's not the point, the standalone BD players can't do external hdds (at least not the $325 ones), which is really handy if you got couple of episodes of this and that and swap with a friend or something. And i know, people don't care about playing games, but still, it's value added anyway. Maybe not PS3 or even PS2 games, but what about PSN games or interactive arts? You do want to keep the option open and for extra $75, you get all of those options, so why not...[/QUOTE]

This is a more of if and when, but if Sony releases rental or outright purchased movies for download, then that becomes an option as well. PS3 will probably not depreciate as fast as a stand-alone Blu-Ray player. I would personally go for the PS3, but it is $75 extra.

[quote name='aegisol']Well, here's one way to make it worth your while.

[/QUOTE]

Nice! yes that would be worth it personally. I didn't get mine before the signing in SF. If I did, I would have at least tried to get it signed also.

[quote name='leesiulung']This is a more of if and when, but if Sony releases rental or outright purchased movies for download, then that becomes an option as well. PS3 will probably not depreciate as fast as a stand-alone Blu-Ray player. I would personally go for the PS3, but it is $75 extra.[/quote]

I guess you misunderstood or confused with Sony's plan of tv/movies on PSN... The VOD thing for the PS3 is not available in the US yet, so it's a case of if and when. What i was getting at, is the ability to play media files off the hdd or external hdd, which standalone BD players can't do at the moment (or not for $325 if they ever come out).

Granted that VOD uses the hdd, but that's not what i was talking about... i simply implies that you and your friends can easily share DIVX files using an external hdd. For $75, i think that option is pretty good...

bread's done
Back