IN STORE TODAY ONLY - Staples - 500GB PS3 Hard Drive $31 + tax(After Coupon) YMMV

ChunLiBarbie

CAGiversary!
Hey Peeps!:)

Thanks goes to SD for the deal and CAG for the info!:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10234598&posted=1#post10234598

Office Max has a $10 off $40 coupon which Staples will PM(YMMV?). I put $31 because the hard drive is on sale for $39.99, leaving you with 1cent left to go.

http://www.staples.com/Seagate-Back...-30-External-Hard-Drive-Black/product_757082#

Use the store locator. It has been on sale a number of times, but I put TODAY ONLY since that is what the sale says.

To get the coupon:http://host-d.oddcast.com/elfyourself2012/home.php
1.Upload any photo.
2.Watch the vid.
3.Email the vid to yourself.

It will send you to Paypal asking for $1 to purchase the vid. You can ignore that. The coupon will be in your email. Search Google for "Elf Yourself $10 off $40 Office Max Coupon", or something of that variation, if you need more info.

Amazon reviews:http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backu...TF8&qid=1354483304&sr=8-1&keywords=STBU500100

Ok. Out and about!:grouphug:

it appears they sent me an OFFICE MAX coupon not staples! Also coupon says minimum of $40 before purchases!

[quote name='CaoPi']it appears they sent me an OFFICE MAX coupon not staples! Also coupon says minimum of $40 before purchases![/QUOTE]

You're suppose to PM the office max coupon at staples

Not a bad deal! Might pick this up as a spare HD since my Momentus XT is starting to click :cry:

[quote name='TommyLove']Nice find! Is it tough to put in more GB in the PS3 hard drive and does it work with the fatty ones?[/QUOTE]

All versions of the PS3 have a 2.5 in HDD slot. Essentially any laptop HDD can fit in there. Also PS3's don't support Solid State Drives and the rule of thumb is any speed above 5400 will heat up your system.

Wait . . . this is an EXTERNAL portable hard drive not an internal one. Why would anyone buy one of these to rip apart? You really just want a regular internal 2.5" SATA hard drive, like the Seagate Momentus XT. Don't buy an external drive for your PS3, it isn't what you want (unless you just want to back the system up).

Having said that, I have many Seagate external hard drives, including the 1TB version of this Backup Plus portable drive, and they've all been excellent. Very reliable for backing up data. And $40 for a 500gb is a great price; I paid $70 for my 1TB from BB.

If a comparable internal HD cost more than an external with the right components inside, then yes, you want to rip apart an external.

So I'm assuming that inside the enclosure is a 2.5mm SATA HDD?

[quote name='DemonKysho']All versions of the PS3 have a 2.5 in HDD slot. Essentially any laptop HDD can fit in there. Also PS3's don't support Solid State Drives and the rule of thumb is any speed above 5400 will heat up your system.[/QUOTE]

They do support SSD. There just aren't super significant gains. They do however mostly eliminate texture pop-in, as well as lag from loading too much in games like Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, & Rage.

[quote name='Tygamr']So I'm assuming that inside the enclosure is a 2.5mm SATA HDD?
[/QUOTE]

It's 2.5. Review says it's SATA II.

[quote name='Tygamr']So I'm assuming that inside the enclosure is a 2.5mm SATA HDD?
[/QUOTE]

It's 2.5. Amazon review says it's SATA II.

thinking about the 1TB internal for 89.99?

staples also has two codes for online or phone.

$5 off 30 34536
$15 off 100 90889

now I'm really thinking about the 1TB 2.5"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get one of these do you have to replace your existing HDD or does it just complement it? I have an original 60gb and don't want to screw anything up.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Wait . . . this is an EXTERNAL portable hard drive not an internal one. Why would anyone buy one of these to rip apart? You really just want a regular internal 2.5" SATA hard drive, like the Seagate Momentus XT. Don't buy an external drive for your PS3, it isn't what you want (unless you just want to back the system up).

Having said that, I have many Seagate external hard drives, including the 1TB version of this Backup Plus portable drive, and they've all been excellent. Very reliable for backing up data. And $40 for a 500gb is a great price; I paid $70 for my 1TB from BB.[/QUOTE]

yeah this was what I was thinking, would would you want to rip it apart? Just get one of these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-500GB-8...Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item25740186a4

jump_through_hoop.jpg

I've seen a lot of harddrives on sale around here on CAG, but no first-party harddrives for Sony. Where are all the first-party ones? I don't like using third-party ones.

[quote name='Fukurou']I've seen a lot of harddrives on sale around here on CAG, but no first-party harddrives for Sony. Where are all the first-party ones? I don't like using third-party ones.[/QUOTE]

lol:lol:

[quote name='dragonjud']lol:lol:[/QUOTE]
I expected a response like this... I don't have a PS3, so forgive my stupid questions.

[quote name='Fukurou']I've seen a lot of harddrives on sale around here on CAG, but no first-party harddrives for Sony. Where are all the first-party ones?[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I haven't, ever, thought of that.

[quote name='FierceDeityLink1']Because it's $20 cheaper and you get a free HDD enclosure and USB 3.0 to SATA adapter?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.:D And, the 160gb drive from my PS3 will be stored in the enclosure.

From my experience with OD, OM and Staples matching coupons. The item its for has to be the same one sold at another store and they will only match their price minus the coupon. So its a price match, not a price beat.

That being said, they have done this in the past and people do report this working. But I have yet to get them to beat another stores price with a competitors coupon. They've always checked online and then say "well our is cheaper to begin with because they have to have the coupon to match our price. we dont need a coupon, its already cheap.

[quote name='Fukurou']I've seen a lot of harddrives on sale around here on CAG, but no first-party harddrives for Sony. Where are all the first-party ones? I don't like using third-party ones.[/QUOTE]

They don't have a proprietary HDD unlike Microsoft. I believe Sony uses Toshiba drives in the slim PS3s. Not sure about the original or the fugly models though. So I guess if you wanted to 'stay true' to the original hardware, you could just buy the same brand of drive.

anyone actually had their stock HDD go bad? I know some people who still have the original Super Fat PS3!

[quote name='Tygamr']They don't have a proprietary HDD unlike Microsoft. I believe Sony uses Toshiba drives in the slim PS3s. Not sure about the original or the fugly models though. So I guess if you wanted to 'stay true' to the original hardware, you could just buy the same brand of drive.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft uses third party drives as well, they just put their own data/software on them. You can easily get one pre-made with this on it off ebay and stick it in the 360 HDD enclosure. Or get a supported HDD and do it yourself.

Not sure if they ever out a stop to this, but I did this a few times to upgrade my HDD cheap. From what I read at the time there were no issues with Microsoft and people using these.

[quote name='CaoPi']anyone actually had their stock HDD go bad? I know some people who still have the original Super Fat PS3![/QUOTE]

Nope. However, the last stock drive I purchased (320 gb) is turning out to be quite the dog. It works, but it's far from a very good drive. I was using a Scorpio drive on my old machine, and should've just replaced it then. Now, it's one of those backup/restore headaches (takes a few hours).

How would I go about getting all my data that's on my ps3 hard drive now onto a new hard drive cause I think I need more space. I've been not downloading some of these ps+ games cause I only got a little bit of space left.

[quote name='DemonKysho']All versions of the PS3 have a 2.5 in HDD slot. Essentially any laptop HDD can fit in there. Also PS3's don't support Solid State Drives and the rule of thumb is any speed above 5400 will heat up your system.[/QUOTE]

Actually there are certain ssd drives that are supported by the ps3 I have one in my ps3 currently. It greatly improves load times on things like dragon age origins Psn version and almost all games that load data from the hdd. Such as GT5 and metal gear solid 4.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Actually there are certain ssd drives that are supported by the ps3 I have one in my ps3 currently. It greatly improves load times on things like dragon age origins Psn version and almost all games that load data from the hdd. Such as GT5 and metal gear solid 4.[/QUOTE]

If only SSDs were cheaper . . . I wouldn't get any less than 500gb (250 is too small, I have a 500gb Seagate Momentus in my PS3). Unfortunately, 500gb SSDs aren't cheap at all; a few hundred bucks at least. When they come down in cost, I'll consider upgrading. They certainly are going to be more reliable than disc-based hard drives, and of course faster as well (though the SATA II interface on PS3 limits the speed of SSDs).

[quote name='Tygamr']They don't have a proprietary HDD unlike Microsoft. I believe Sony uses Toshiba drives in the slim PS3s. Not sure about the original or the fugly models though. So I guess if you wanted to 'stay true' to the original hardware, you could just buy the same brand of drive.[/QUOTE]
I see. Thanks.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Microsoft uses third party drives as well, they just put their own data/software on them. You can easily get one pre-made with this on it off ebay and stick it in the 360 HDD enclosure. Or get a supported HDD and do it yourself.

Not sure if they ever out a stop to this, but I did this a few times to upgrade my HDD cheap. From what I read at the time there were no issues with Microsoft and people using these.[/QUOTE]
Really? So this:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-hard-drive-60gb-live-pack/72747

is also a third party HDD? I have one like this, but mine is a 250 GB one that I got from Sears.

[quote name='Fukurou']I see. Thanks.

Really? So this:

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-hard-drive-60gb-live-pack/72747

is also a third party HDD? I have one like this, but mine is a 250 GB one that I got from Sears.[/QUOTE]

That one is made by microsoft, but inside it is just a 2.5" HDD. They put some proprietary stuff on it so that's why you cant just pop one in. It needs to be a supported model of HDD and formatted correctly.

bread's done
Back