in your opinions--- what is the absolute best time to end an auction?

A

Apossum

For me, I usually end it on sunday nights. I figure that's when the most people are on. I've been experimenting with various times during the week, and well...the results haven't been so hot.

just curious what other think, since I'm about to list valkyrie profile :)

For me, Friday/Saturday evening. Sunday also works, but ive had better returns on the other two nights.

Also, most folks who would spend a lot of money on a copy of Valkyrie Profile will be at home on those respective nights :) j/k (sort of...)

i'm an ass, so i never think (or never care enough) about starting/ending the auction when i should....if i have something to list, i usually do it either really late or really early, when i can't sleep....it's just too boring and i always have shit to do in the afternoon/evening...i'm sure i could get a lot more money if i didn't end at such a stupid ass time, but oh well

I've had mixed results. I have had auctions ending during working hours that got alot of late bids. I have also had auctions end during the weekend that had very few late bids.

I'm with Trust on this one, I've never even thought about ending it on a certain day, I just set it for 7 days.

Lunchtime is good too. Forgot about that. Just remember what time zones your selling too. I try and have mine be Later for the East coast so its closer to evening on the west. Ive ended up sending a lot to California

Monday (and to a slightly lesser extent Sunday) evening is what I aim for. 8-10PM EST (which puts you at good ending times all across CONUS). I'll also list stuff to end Tue, Wed, and Thu evening, but I've always avoided Fri and Sat evening.

But now that I do 90% of my stuff fixed price/BIN it doesn't matter quite as much, as anyone can just buy it whenever they want. Still it's good to have it be a newly listed auction and a soon to end auction at a time when the max amount of people will be on.

what a coincidence, i was just about to start a topic about this, but kept forgetting. and i'm listing VP as well. we should have a competition. i'll do one time, you do another.

[quote name='jlarlee']Tues-thursday 7-9 central[/QUOTE]

That's what I've found also.

Although it has become easier on me to simply list everything as buy it now, put up a price near the high end of the listings but a bit less than the rest of the buy it nows and you're item goes pretty quickly.

Also for an expensive item like VP try to make sure there aren't any auctions for the same game ending within an hour or two if you can. When auctions clump together typically one ends up selling for less than normal.

I think VP is one of those games that you'd be better off listing under a fixed price auction. Price really fluctuates, and a regular auction could end anywhere from $80-$120. On the other hand you could just put it up with a fixed price of $120 and there's still a very good chance it'll sell.

I have had surprisingly good results listing in the mornings...yes, WEEKDAY mornings. I don't know if it's business people hitting Ebay at work or what, but I've done pretty well with the mornings.

[quote name='Apossum']For me, I usually end it on sunday nights. I figure that's when the most people are on. I've been experimenting with various times during the week, and well...the results haven't been so hot.

just curious what other think, since I'm about to list valkyrie profile :)[/QUOTE]

I say never end them let the bids roll on lol :)

[quote name='Rig']From the suggestions in here, it looks as if there's no guaranteed best time to sell...[/QUOTE]

Agreed with that. I have a feeling it may not matter too much as long as you aren't ending them in the wee hours.

yeah. guess i'll stick to sunday nights.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']what a coincidence, i was just about to start a topic about this, but kept forgetting. and i'm listing VP as well. we should have a competition. i'll do one time, you do another. [/quote]

well, i'm listing mine on sunday night. doubt they would compete with each other-- my copy is pretty beat up. it works, but nothing about it is mint, including the inserts and instructions. I'd be lucky to get $75 for it.

One thing to remember is a lot of people have work computers that are banned from visiting ebay durring work hours. To me that suggests not having it end from 9-5 on weekdays.

For Valkyrie Profile? Saturday night 12:30 PM eastern time.

In all seriousness, that is when the people you will be selling it to will be on, and it has a psychological advantage, too.

They are buying VP to have a cooler collection, and they are at home lonely on a Saturday night. They are going to spend a LOT extra.

also if you are buying, keep an eye out forthe morons that list stuff at 1-5 am. I have gotten many a good deal because they were up all night on a crystal meth binge and decided to sell stuff on EBAY

for some reason i've gotten some incredible deals on Saturdays around 4PM EST, like MGS 3, MGS 2, and MGS: VR all with guides for $26 shipped.

Mondays at lunch time. Why?

You catch all the weekend surfers, sitting at home with nothing to do, so they bid on your game. THEN you catch the office workers, who get paid quite well, sitting at their desks, eating their lunch, and bidding on your game.

So it's a double whammy. You get both the weekenders & the lunchtime slackers looking. And bidding the price ultra-high.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Mondays at lunch time. Why?

You catch all the weekend surfers, sitting at home with nothing to do, so they bid on your game. THEN you catch the office workers, who get paid quite well, sitting at their desks, eating their lunch, and bidding on your game.

So it's a double whammy. You get both the weekenders & the lunchtime slackers looking. And bidding the price ultra-high.

troy[/QUOTE]

Youre missing the largest demographic for a playstation game, kids in school.

The only people you're snubbing by putting it on a weekend evening are the social, and god knows they arent buffing up their rare ps1 rpg collection.

I get the best results when I start 5 day auctions on Tues. night sometime between 8-9:30 PST. That way the auctions end on Sunday night. I learned this little trick from anohter east coast ebay seller.

I just tried to end some auctions on Wed. night that ran for a week just to do some experimenting. It worked out alright. Just not as well as I hoped. I have some stuff that I'm gonna put up on Sunday and run those for seven days.

Oh just in case you're wondering I read somewhere on this board that the best time to sell during the holiday season is the week of Dec. 11-17. Apparently there was some sorta study done. Thanx to elwook731 for this lil tidbit.

[quote name='Rubberlegs']I get the best results when I start 5 day auctions on Tues. night sometime between 8-9:30 PST. That way the auctions end on Sunday night. I learned this little trick from anohter east coast ebay seller. [/QUOTE]

Why would you purposefully choose 5 days, when you could have your auction run 7 days (sunday-to-sunday) - same price?

I saw some good advice on another forum:
- If it's rare, like Suikoden 2, sell on Sunday (maximum visibility)
- If it's common, like FF7, then Sunday has too much competition & you'll get a low price - instead end it during the week

i'll keep that in mind, rubber. i've got a sealed Arc the Lad Collection, complete VP, disc only Suikoden II, and a sealed DW 7 to put up andi was thinking Sundays were best. also, i'm going to allow bids, but do BINs of $150, $120, $80, and $50 sound reasonable? and by reasonable, i mean will the desperate ebayer click that BIN link?

I have tried Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights, but I have found that if I have the auction end Wednesday between 2 - 3 pm (EST) I get more cash for my items. Very strange, but I think it is the mid-week work blues. I catch the folks on the East Coast about to leave work and the West Coast folks about to go to lunch. All of my auctions have gone over the price I expected. Hope this helps.

bread's done
Back