Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has nothing to do with LRG. Jeff Smith, head of Special Reserve Games, is holding back the artwork for both versions until after the preorder ends. He stated that the artwork shown so far is just placeholder art, so both covers have yet to be revealed. He wants people to buy The Messenger for the game, not the art. He mentioned this on Discord.
That's cool. I won't order it then.

This has nothing to do with LRG. Jeff Smith, head of Special Reserve Games, is holding back the artwork for both versions until after the preorder ends. He stated that the artwork shown so far is just placeholder art, so both covers have yet to be revealed. He wants people to buy The Messenger for the game, not the art. He mentioned this on Discord.
Then why have different artwork for each distributor? Why even have artwork at all? Either this guy has failed upward with limited intelligence to get to this point in his life or he's clearly lying, as in someone effed up and he's covering for it.

Then why have different artwork for each distributor? Why even have artwork at all? Either this guy has failed upward with limited intelligence to get to this point in his life or he's clearly lying, as in someone effed up and he's covering for it.
It's for variant collectors (i.e. someone who buys multiple copies of the same game to obtain all of the cover versions). There is literally no objective reason for domestic buyers to go with the LRG version if they aren't a variant collector as they are charging shipping and LRG's version doesn't include the outer collector's box or the hardcover manual. Variant collectors don't care what the two specific versions look like, only that they are different.

It's for variant collectors (i.e. someone who buys multiple copies of the same game to obtain all of the cover versions). There is literally no objective reason for domestic buyers to go with the LRG version if they aren't a variant collector as they are charging shipping and LRG's version doesn't include the outer collector's box or the hardcover manual. Variant collectors don't care what the two specific versions look like, only that they are different.
I get that. But he said he wants people to buy The Messenger for the game, not the art. So I logically asked, "then why have different art, or any art at all?" If the artwork is irrelevant, then put the title on a solid colored background and have the same look for both SRG & LRG. There's absolutely no reason to have variants and then go out of your way to say they don't matter...

I get that. But he said he wants people to buy The Messenger for the game, not the art. So I logically asked, "then why have different art, or any art at all?" If the artwork is irrelevant, then put the title on a solid colored background and have the same look for both SRG & LRG. There's absolutely no reason to have variants and then go out of your way to say they don't matter...
Back when SRG first launched they had issues selling their game for a few days. LRG offered to sell it for them on their site. That seemed to start a relationship where SRG releases were sold from both LRG and SRG, but with different cover art.

Back when SRG first launched they had issues selling their game for a few days. LRG offered to sell it for them on their site. That seemed to start a relationship where SRG releases were sold from both LRG and SRG, but with different cover art.
You're both missing the point. I understand having multiple distributors (increasing your distribution channels and sales). I understand having variants (for collectors and to provide a different product for different sales outlets; such as retailer exclusive add ons/differences). What I don't understand is someone saying that variants don't matter while at the same time having them. Why would a car company sell different models of cars but not let you see what they look like before you buy it, all under the guise of "we want you to buy this for the purpose of getting from point A to point B, not because of what the car looks like"?

You're both missing the point. I understand having multiple distributors (increasing your distribution channels and sales). I understand having variants (for collectors and to provide a different product for different sales outlets; such as retailer exclusive add ons/differences). What I don't understand is someone saying that variants don't matter while at the same time having them. Why would a car company sell different models of cars but not let you see what they look like before you buy it, all under the guise of "we want you to buy this for the purpose of getting from point A to point B, not because of what the car looks like"?
Because they were under contract to do so...

Probably because SRG views the LRG variants as a necessary evil in exchange for the promo LRG can bring them. Again, the people buying the LRG variant don't really care what it looks like as long as it's different from what SRG is offering. SRG has literally made it a terrible purchase decision to go with the LRG version. As such, while I agree it would be nice to see both sets of art, it really doesn't have any impact on 99% of buyers.

Probably because SRG views the LRG variants as a necessary evil in exchange for the promo LRG can bring them. Again, the people buying the LRG variant don't really care what it looks like as long as it's different from what SRG is offering. SRG has literally made it a terrible purchase decision to go with the LRG version. As such, while I agree it would be nice to see both sets of art, it really doesn't have any impact on 99% of buyers.
It does though. Look at how many people are holding out on pulling the trigger for either one on this thread, on each company's respective Twitter pages as well. Most people paying 3x as much for these versions over digital are not going to mind paying an extra $6 for a better cover. I bought the LRG-direct copy of Golf Story over the Best Buy version (I still have GCU, btw) because it had a much better cover imo. So I have no idea where you're getting this 99% estimate from...

It does though. Look at how many people are holding out on pulling the trigger for either one on this thread, on each company's respective Twitter pages as well. Most people paying 3x as much for these versions over digital are not going to mind paying an extra $6 for a better cover. I bought the LRG-direct copy of Golf Story over the Best Buy version (I still have GCU, btw) because it had a much better cover imo. So I have no idea where you're getting this 99% estimate from...
It's not just $6 though. You are literally giving up a collector's outer box and a hardcover manual. I also don't see many people holding out. There are a tiny number of people complaining on Twitter and a couple of others on various forums. Meanwhile, most people have already purchased the SRG version because it is a significantly better package all around.

I want to play the Messenger but just don't feel like I really give a shit about the cover art or even the extras. I had planned to buy it from LRG to combine the order with a Bloodstained pre-order and just be done with both of them in one shot. My backlog is so large I won't be getting to either of them within a few months anyway. I'm sure the extras will make the SRG version more desirable and "worth more" later down the road, but I'm still not feeling it enough to bother. I may even combine the two with Bomb Chicken.  

Was going to buy a copy of the Messenger on each PS4 and Switch, but now with the variant cover, I like the LRG more lol.  might just dip and buy two copies on Switch, one for each cover.  Bah goddamnit can't decide.

I know that the yellow variant has been confirmed to be LRG's cover art for the Messenger.  But has the stock blue cover art been confirmed for Special Reserve's copy yet?  

I checked their Twitter and their webstore but don't see confirmation on it one way or another.  Just that the artwork is subject to change. 

Skullgirls (Switch) Limited Edition preorders close on Skybound Games shop at the end of day today 3/31:

https://store.skybound.com/collections/new/products/skullgirls-limited-edition

Includes physical Switch game, vinyl soundtrack and controller skin for $49.99.

I don't believe Skybound Games ever officially confirmed whether they would be selling the game itself outside the LE bundle, but I imagine they would.  I really have no need for the vinyl soundtrack or the controller skin.

Just called my local store and they are not doing in-store pre-orders for Borderlands apparently.  They are getting 2 physical copies for PS4 in (not sure about XB1) and it is first come, first serve on them.  I'll just go at opening that day and snag one.  Probably some limited product at first bullshit as they are available to ship with no issue.  I just don't want to wait 3 weeks for their slow af free shipping.

2K store says release day delivery.  Wonder if that is in fact true given the game comes out Wednesday lol

https://youtu.be/IhW3Pb1GnLM

Edit: ordered bl from the 2k store. Still says release day shipping but I doubt it lol.

Just called my local store and they are not doing in-store pre-orders for Borderlands apparently. They are getting 2 physical copies for PS4 in (not sure about XB1) and it is first come, first serve on them. I'll just go at opening that day and snag one. Probably some limited product at first bullshit as they are available to ship with no issue. I just don't want to wait 3 weeks for their slow af free shipping.

2K store says release day delivery. Wonder if that is in fact true given the game comes out Wednesday lol
I went in to my local store and asked about it. The guy got a bit antsy about not being able to take a preorder for me, then finally said "I'll take the heat; if you can get here as soon as we're open, I'll make sure one of the copies is set aside for you." Fingers crossed, as we'll see what actually happens Wednesday.

I went in to my local store and asked about it. The guy got a bit antsy about not being able to take a preorder for me, then finally said "I'll take the heat; if you can get here as soon as we're open, I'll make sure one of the copies is set aside for you." Fingers crossed, as we'll see what actually happens Wednesday.
Yea I don't see the game flying off the shelves. I just want one to actually play through as I never finished it last gen.

I tried to place an in-store preorder for Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition (PS4) today and the GameStop associate said that they were not taking preorders for neither platform that it was a spur of the moment situation but that they were in-stock in the inventory backroom and only had four (4) copies for PlayStation 4 and two (2) copies for Xbox One.

I don't see why GameStop would secure exclusivity then completely shaft the launch, I imagine restocks will happen rapidly

Pretty sure one of the limited physical companies were behind that account.
Uh... still insanely weird.

They actually put a game up for sale that you could purchase. The website was extremely minimal, with only one page, no information other than the price of the game and a message, in Russian, that said they had the right to keep your information. The price of the game fluctuated rapidly between $30 and $50. The site was only up for around 12 hours, during which they were begging people the buy the game or they would have to shut down. The developer of the game said it was legit. They swapped their logo out three times, and each time it was a blatant rip off of another company's (Limited Run, Super Rare then Strictly Limited).

Now they're saying they had to shut down due to lack of sales and that their creditors will be possessing all the unsold copies of the game, and that it was real and the purchased copies will be shipped between April 12th and April 19th.

What even is this?

On the off chance it was real, it's going to piss off a lot of future completionists. I think 820 copies would safely make it the rarest PS4 game to date.

On the off chance it was real, it's going to piss off a lot of future completionists. I think 820 copies would safely make it the rarest PS4 game to date.
The game is like, astoundingly bad, too. Several leagues below even the worst offerings from LRG and company.

How do you guys even find this shit?
There's kinda a community on twitter that posts about limited games.

Borderlands GoTY looks to be sold out online now from Gamestop.  Wonder if I place a 2K store order if it will arrive by tomorrow even though it says it will lol

I didn't even hear about it yesterday, hm
They did a pretty poor job of promoting their prank. I tend to believe that it was an elaborate social experiment/art project and that they will actually deliver a game as it does appear the game was recently re-rated by the ESRB. I just don't think they reached much of an audience yesterday outside of a few hundred physical collectors as the "mainstream" gaming media largely ignored them despite their attempts to get coverage.

They did a pretty poor job of promoting their prank. I tend to believe that it was an elaborate social experiment/art project and that they will actually deliver a game as it does appear the game was recently re-rated by the ESRB. I just don't think they reached much of an audience yesterday outside of a few hundred physical collectors as the "mainstream" gaming media largely ignored them despite their attempts to get coverage.
yeah I mean, poop slinger is a real game, and yeah, collector's are gonna be pissed about it for sure

But why would they possibly kill the sales of the game and the entire site in like 12 hours? What kind of loan only allows 12 hours to sell inventory?

But why would they possibly kill the sales of the game and the entire site in like 12 hours? What kind of loan only allows 12 hours to sell inventory?
I think almost all of what they posted was part of that social experiment/art project. I don't believe for a second that they really had financial issues or confusion about what their logo should be or anything else. It was definitely an attempt at humor, although it really didn't work that well because again, they failed to reach a large audience and most people were more confused than amused.

bread's done
Back