Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if anyone cares about this but hopefully it will help someone.  I have been wanting to get a physical copy of FF7/FF8 Twin Pack for the switch.  However I had read the Region 3 version had a patch.  I recently confirmed the Region 2 version DOES NOT need a patch.  It appears the full games are on the cart.  If possible I like to get games with everything on the cart so I thought I'd share.

Region 2 is Japan, but Region 3 is Southeast Asia. So the "Hong Kong", "China", "Asia" release or whatever it is has the patch according the post above.
The Region 2 I mentioned above has the PEGI rating on the front. I thought it was from Europe. The Region 3 "Asian/Hong Kong/China" release does need a patch from what I've read.

It's not exclusive to Gamestop and I don't even think there is an Iam8bit exclusive standard version this time. Iam8bit will be carrying an exclusive CE at some point in the future though.
That's right. AFAIK, iam8bit is just a routine publisher like any other, and the game should be carried across multiple retailers. Nothing I've heard suggests the game itself will be sold exclusively through any one retailer (outside of a limited edition which - as bojay1997 states - will be available only through iam8bit's store).

Fine by me. I only buy standard editions, anyways.

iam8bit carries unique "standard" editions on their site in addition to the CEs/LEs. The differences are typically pretty minor though, so you're not missing out on much if you just buy the general standard release elsewhere.

iam8bit carries unique "standard" editions on their site in addition to the CEs/LEs. The differences are typically pretty minor though, so you're not missing out on much if you just buy the general standard release elsewhere.
Yes, but for Spiritfarer, they specifically mentioned that there was no unique standard edition. The only unique SKU will be the CE that will be an Iam8Bit exclusive.

Horizon Chase Turbo for PS Vita

Preorders open with @playasia this Thursday, June 10th at 11pm Hong Kong (11am ET / 4pm UK). Only 2200 units!

Looks like Special Reserve and Super Rare are both going for the Physical Only games movement (Special Reserve is releasing Demon Throttle as a physical only no-eshop release soon)

https://twitter.com/SuperRareGames/status/1403396618334838785

Yea, I don’t really grasp the need for this. I totally understand clamoring for a favorite previously digital only game to get a physical release but I question the quality when you are aiming from the get go to only cater to a tiny allotment of physical media.

Yea, I don’t really grasp the need for this. I totally understand clamoring for a favorite previously digital only game to get a physical release but I question the quality when you are aiming from the get go to only cater to a tiny allotment of physical media.
Agree. Not to mention the economics of this seem terrible unless they are planning on charging $60 a pop or something like that.

Glad this isn't through LRG

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1403449441793626112

Super Rare Shorts... Such an odd idea in this day and age.  I can't imagine any of these games will be worth my time.  But no doubt they will probably sell out of everything because people like rare stuff regardless of quality.

Similar things have been happening in the Vita space for a while and it's because the audience of physical collectors is larger than the number of people who actually want to play the game and anything printed at MOQ is practically guaranteed to sell through as a result.

At this point, you can publish digitally and jump through all the hoops in all of the regions to get your game listed and maybe sell a thousand copies or physically publish it in one region and practically guarantee a 5k sellthrough. Especially if you rachet up demand by only putting the games out physically.

It actually works out really well for SRG and the game developers (more sales = more money after all), but it feels predatory to consumers. If the Vita's any precedent (which it seems to be) a lot of these titles will be shovelware-quality but sold as premium products. And a lot of collectors will feel compelled to buy them with the layers and layers of FOMO.

I also think Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) and Josh from LRG had some good threads on why this is a bad idea or at the very least marketed exceptionally poorly:

https://twitter.com/werezompire/status/1403439226968887299

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1403406431878094855

Similar things have been happening in the Vita space for a while and it's because the audience of physical collectors is larger than the number of people who actually want to play the game and anything printed at MOQ is practically guaranteed to sell through as a result.

At this point, you can publish digitally and jump through all the hoops in all of the regions to get your game listed and maybe sell a thousand copies or physically publish it in one region and practically guarantee a 5k sellthrough. Especially if you rachet up demand by only putting the games out physically.

It actually works out really well for SRG and the game developers (more sales = more money after all), but it feels predatory to consumers. If the Vita's any precedent (which it seems to be) a lot of these titles will be shovelware-quality but sold as premium products. And a lot of collectors will feel compelled to buy them with the layers and layers of FOMO.

I also think Robert Boyd (Zeboyd Games) and Josh from LRG had some good threads on why this is a bad idea or at the very least marketed exceptionally poorly:

https://twitter.com/werezompire/status/1403439226968887299

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1403406431878094855
'forever physical'

Josh is a piece of shit and probably lying out his ass cuz they missed the train lol

'forever physical'

Josh is a piece of shit and probably lying out his ass cuz they missed the train lol
His 7 or 8 tweet "thoughts" on the matter are kind of funny. The best thing for him to do regarding rival companies is to keep his mouth shut. Says "digital piracy is essential to truly preserving games." Ok, Josh, whatever. BTW, till waiting on a non-broken version of Night Trap on the Vita, as well as the replacement disc for the incomplete Game Tengoku on PS4 that LRG promised people who paid money for their product and received an incomplete version. Josh is a conman, and from what I can tell he is overly defensive and somewhat dishonest.

It's incredibly ironic that Josh is saying "piracy is the answer to preservation" when he built a multi-million dollar company on the premise of preservation via physical media. If piracy were truly that prolific he wouldn't have a company or a job.

By no means am I suddenly a fan of his, but I do think his thread was a good rebuttal of the BS reasons they gave for making this game physical-only. From what I can tell the idea's being nearly unanimously panned online, which is refreshing to see considering how mindlessly people have been eating up whatever nonsense is shoveled in the limited print space for the past several years.

BTW, till waiting on a non-broken version of Night Trap on the Vita, as well as the replacement disc for the incomplete Game Tengoku on PS4 that LRG promised people who paid money for their product and received an incomplete version.
I've seen quite a few people complain to LRG about these two games. The complaints should be directed at Screaming Villains and Degica as they're the ones responsible for fixing it.

I've seen quite a few people complain to LRG about these two games. The complaints should be directed at Screaming Villains and Degica as they're the ones responsible for fixing it.
Night trap got patched I believe, but the issue is LRG sold and distributed a copy that is straight up broken while riding the premise that their games would be fully patched and "forget physical", it's a total joke that they released a game that couldn't be completed

If I buy a book from Amazon and it's missing pages, I don't bug the author or publisher to fix it. If I buy a canned good at the grocery store and it's expired I don't complain to the cannery or the farmer.

LRG is the publisher, distributor, and point-of-sale for these items and it's disingenuous to say they have no role in remediating defective/misleading products they've produced and sold. Degica and Screaming Villains don't have my order record, shipping address, etc. They're not going to ship me a new disc/cart or issue me a refund.

If I buy a book from Amazon and it's missing pages, I don't bug the author or publisher to fix it. If I buy a canned good at the grocery store and it's expired I don't complain to the cannery or the farmer.

LRG is the publisher, distributor, and point-of-sale for these items and it's disingenuous to say they have no role in remediating defective/misleading products they've produced and sold. Degica and Screaming Villains don't have my order record, shipping address, etc. They're not going to ship me a new disc/cart or issue me a refund.
LRG is still partially responsible. However, they didn't program the game. If Degica doesn't provide them with a new disc to master there's nothing they can do.

LRG is still partially responsible. However, they didn't program the game. If Degica doesn't provide them with a new disc to master there's nothing they can do.
Well they can issue a refund or offer refunds. I received a full refund for my copy of Night Trap on vita.
I saw someone else post about getting a refund so I thought I would try.
It was actually a pleasant experience with customer service as well.

I received a gift card at my request and used it on Tiny Metal Ultimate and then had to wait almost a year to receive that game, karma.

If I call up Degica and say "I'm gonna need that new .iso file so the company I bought your game from can reprint the disc" they're probably going to tell me to go pound sand.

My point is, that's LRG's responsibility. They handle the relationships with developers and whatever QA is/isn't done, not me. My only role in the whole chain is purchasing the product LRG advertised from LRG..And if they are unwilling, unable, or uninterested in providing the product they advertised then it's their responsibility to offer a refund or some other solution.

If I call up Degica and say "I'm gonna need that new .iso file so the company I bought your game from can reprint the disc" they're probably going to tell me to go pound sand.

My point is, that's LRG's responsibility. They handle the relationships with developers and whatever QA is/isn't done, not me. My only role in the whole chain is purchasing the product LRG advertised from LRG..And if they are unwilling, unable, or uninterested in providing the product they advertised then it's their responsibility to offer a refund or some other solution.
As the publisher they are 100% responsible. If Nintendo published a broken game developed by a 3rd party, all the complaints would go to Nintendo not the 3rd party developer.

LRG can't be both the retailer and the publisher and then forget conveniently they are the publisher when a complaint comes in. It would be like the car manufacturer blaming the maker of a defective part put into their cars and not offering a recall because it wasn't their fault they sold a defective product. LRG is responsible for what gets put on the disc/cart. That's why I'm more mad at them for the old broken version of Golf Story being put to cart rather than the updated version from a year earlier than the lazy ass developer. LRG should know enough about what they are publishing to insist on the complete fixed versions. Worse too was for the first month or two you couldn't even get the update for the game because it wasn't registered properly with Nintendo for the region. I let that be me cautionary excuse to avoid LRG for everything but what I wanted the most and little games like Golf Story would be better purchased digitally.

Ok, enough dead horse beating for today. Gotta save up for the next round.

Thing is I've seen you ask about the status of the replacement discs many times in the LRG Discord. It's quite clear they're not going to respond to your questions due to legal or contractual obligations. If you want action you need to direct your questions to Degica. LRG can and probably has asked them to produce the new discs, but there's not much they can do if Degica doesn't follow through.

My final word on this topic is a bit of speculation. I think the situation with this game has soured the relationship with Degica and LRG. Degica went with another publisher for Rival Megagun and the Miku PSVR game that was supposed to be published by LRG seems dead.

Thing is I've seen you ask about the status of the replacement discs many times in the LRG Discord. It's quite clear they're not going to respond to your questions due to legal or contractual obligations. If you want action you need to direct your questions to Degica. LRG can and probably has asked them to produce the new discs, but there's not much they can do if Degica doesn't follow through.

My final word on this topic is a bit of speculation. I think the situation with this game has soured the relationship with Degica and LRG. Degica went with another publisher for Rival Megagun and the Miku PSVR game that was supposed to be published by LRG seems dead.
What you're saying here is, "You should stop asking the people who are supposed to do something because they're ignoring you." To extend that, I suppose we should just let LRG off the hook for all of their mistakes if they ignore us for long enough? Or just accept the next not-as-described eBay item I get if the seller doesn't respond? Or maybe the IRS will let me off the hook if I ignore my next tax bill long enough? Again, that completely subverts their role and is an awful take. If Degica says "Actually we decided not to do that" then it's up to LRG to figure out what to do next.

Anyway, back on topic, lots of good Indie/Limited games in the Target B2G1 sale. Keep in mind if you aren't able to find three games you want you can buy three and cancel 1-2 to still get a 33% discount on the remaining item(s):

Not quite as Indie/obscure but probably still of interest/note:

bread's done
Back