Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
They did one restock for River City... but it was something like a month or more after launch on a random day and it lasted a very short time as well. One of the reps posts over on the gamefaqs forums for each of their game launches so I'd check there to see if a second print is being mentioned.

My copy of River City TR worked out fine from VGP. It was better to get a copy for near launch price than frustratingly wait for a second print and risk not even getting the game.
Yeah, I grabbed mine from PA at the time, as I didn't know when the restock would come, or how long it would last when it did.

I will assume this being a PS4 game would be easier to print more than the last game was, since it was a 3DS game. So they should offer it again and with the keychain, but if I really wanted it, I would recommend grabbing it now as well. Better safe than sorry.

The OG SNES game goes for a shit ton now, as it was a game very few ever played, or even saw at retail, or even knew about. They may have thought the audience was still more limited and produced qty accordingly.

Wow I had good timing, woke up this morning and checked this thread to see it was live. Bought it right then from my phone and glad I did.

According to Natsume's Twitter about 15 minutes ago, more will be available later today:

Looking for the keychain bundle? Good news: more will be available soon on Amazon as they are being currently inventoried. Check back later!

According to Natsume's Twitter about 15 minutes ago, more will be available later today:

Looking for the keychain bundle? Good news: more will be available soon on Amazon as they are being currently inventoried. Check back later!
Great and all but odds are I'll miss it again, not like I can sit at my computer and hit refresh all day... nor do I know how to use scripts and whatever to do it for me.

I missed it earlier, and I'll probably miss it when it goes up again.  Well I'm not to worried about the throw in key chain at least.  So if I do happen to miss it at least I can get it at VGP.

I think the 2nd batch just sold out... randomly checked on my phone, saw the add to cart option but tried to check out and got an error. Been trying for the last 10 minutes on desktop and the add to cart button keeps popping in/out and the "see other option" is sometimes there (with no other options) but I can't get a copy in my cart. On my phone, it lets me select address before it says it's sold out. :whistle2:

FYI, non-keychain copy listing is up with non-Natsume third party listings. Don't get confused, keychain copy notes it in the title. 

fuck it, I'm ordering from VGP. It's not worth the headache refreshing and trying to beat the scalpers with the scripts.
:rofl: :rofl:

I like how this is the default reaction now after missing out on something. No one is buying a $29.99 copy of Wild Arms with a bot to resell against the eBay copies priced a whole $5 more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Guns-Reloaded-PS4-New-PlayStation-4-/401243630428

Just spend a few minutes learning how to use Page Monitor and save yourself the headache.

:rofl: :rofl:

I like how this is the default reaction now after missing out on something. No one is buying a $29.99 copy of Wild Arms with a bot to resell against the eBay copies priced a whole $5 more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Guns-Reloaded-PS4-New-PlayStation-4-/401243630428

Just spend a few minutes learning how to use Page Monitor and save yourself the headache.
That's the copy without the keychain. The copy of River City with the keychain was going for quite a bit (might be cooling off now since they said they might do a third run) and I assume this one will as well. Plus, the people who use scripts people who sell volumes of stuff... they make their money on small prices but doing so dozens of times.

Thanks for the tip on the Page Monitor though... wish I had known about it before.

Yeah I went ahead and bought one from VGP as a Christmas present but I'll get one for myself when it goes back in stock at Amazon.

Sorry fellas. It had to have gone up sometime in the wee hours of the morning. I got up at about 5:30AM CT to get ready for work and saw it. Im not sure if it had been up all night or what. 

After the post this morning, I had the page up, and just couldn't pull the trigger. Even though it's one of my all time favorite games, I don't have a PS4, and I'm happy to play the original, and the keychain just wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Sorry fellas. It had to have gone up sometime in the wee hours of the morning. I got up at about 5:30AM CT to get ready for work and saw it. Im not sure if it had been up all night or what.
No need to apologize, I would have been asleep regardless.:p

I checked last night before going to bed, which was around 11 PM MT and it wasn't up. It looks like it went up early morning the first time it was listed so it was likely the same issue here, it went up just before you posted it.

What are you waiting for? I would have thought you would grab one during the BF sales, unless you are waiting for a price reduction on the Pro.
There actually where some excellent deals this Christmas(on the slim, which is the one I want anyway), but sub $200 is my sweet spot at this point, as my backlog is just so damn big, and no reason to add another system to the pile.

If I had bought one, now I would feel the need to get in on these deals, and then I might have to file bankruptcy next year. LOL

And honestly, there really are no games I really have to have for the ONE or PS4 at this point. There are some good titles I wouldn't mind having, but I have just as many great games if not more in my PS3, 360 & Wii U backlog anyways.

I'm shooting to get one or the other next year, as $250 seemed to be had rather often this year, so next year $200 or under should be easy to get, especially on the slim. And by then, most of the big games now will be $20 and under, and I can justify the purchase. Now just wasn't the right time for me.

I understand that. My backlog is too big for sure. The good thing is that by the time you get one of the new systems, alot of the critically acclaimed games will be cheap and easy to find. I'm passing on a PRO until it's sub $300, and I am ready to purchase a 4K television. 

In case anybody is interested, I grabbed a used, PS4 copy of King's Quest: The Complete Collection at Gamestop yesterday for $14.99.  They don't even have a pre-owned listing for the game on their website, so will be hard to track down but worth checking for if you're nearby.  

Seems like a good price on game that will likely be a little hard to find physical copies of in the near future.

In case anybody is interested, I grabbed a used, PS4 copy of King's Quest: The Complete Collection at Gamestop yesterday for $14.99. They don't even have a pre-owned listing for the game on their website, so will be hard to track down but worth checking for if you're nearby.

Seems like a good price on game that will likely be a little hard to find physical copies of in the near future.
Nice. Do you know if the entire game is on the disc? I know the epilogue is D/L only but is it a code included in the box or can you download the epilogue just by having the disc? Thanks!

In case anybody is interested, I grabbed a used, PS4 copy of King's Quest: The Complete Collection at Gamestop yesterday for $14.99. They don't even have a pre-owned listing for the game on their website, so will be hard to track down but worth checking for if you're nearby.

Some store is selling new Xbox One copies for $13 shipped on eBay. I bit. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kings-Quest-The-Complete-Collection-Microsoft-Xbox-One-2015-Brand-New-/252690649510?hash=item3ad58951a6:g:yxAAAOSw-0xYWxps

Nice. Do you know if the entire game is on the disc? I know the epilogue is D/L only but is it a code included in the box or can you download the epilogue just by having the disc? Thanks!
The disc contains episodes 1-4. Episode 5 and the Epilogue have to be downloaded.

Got my Wild Arms Reloaded today.  Disc was a floater, but the keychain is nice.  It's packaged outside the game case (behind a second plastic seal) if anyone is wondering, so you can definitely tell if you got it.

Got my Wild Arms Reloaded today. Disc was a floater, but the keychain is nice. It's packaged outside the game case (behind a second plastic seal) if anyone is wondering, so you can definitely tell if you got it.
Interesting... never really occurred to me before but was River City Tokyo Rumble w/ the Keychain ever marked in any way?

Got my Wild Arms Reloaded today. Disc was a floater, but the keychain is nice. It's packaged outside the game case (behind a second plastic seal) if anyone is wondering, so you can definitely tell if you got it.
My copy also came with a floater disc :(

Hey nightc1, ready to stop putting the loose disc blame solely on Limited Run? Thanks.

I hate seeing people ascribe this issue to us when it is the PS4 cases being junk. Pretty sure my copies of Wild Guns will be loose as well.

Did they seal the keychains to the front or back? If they are on the front and centered, I can pretty much guarantee nearly every copy will arrive loose. The slightest pressure on the front center of a PS4 case will make the disc loose. Putting a keychain there would spread the affected area and more easily apply pressure.

I think like half of all of the PS4 games I buy come with floater disks.  I've tried to push them back in before (once successfully!) but I will give that video a close watch and try his method.

Edit: Took a bit of work, and watching a second video that had a better view of the exact spot, but I got it done.   Loose disks be damned.

Interesting... never really occurred to me before but was River City Tokyo Rumble w/ the Keychain ever marked in any way?
There was a bar code on the plastic wrap that said it had a Keychain.

I missed wild arms but I'm broke and didn't need a Keychain anyway. I'll grab a regular copy eventually.

Hey nightc1, ready to stop putting the loose disc blame solely on Limited Run? Thanks.

I hate seeing people ascribe this issue to us when it is the PS4 cases being junk. Pretty sure my copies of Wild Guns will be loose as well.

Did they seal the keychains to the front or back? If they are on the front and centered, I can pretty much guarantee nearly every copy will arrive loose. The slightest pressure on the front center of a PS4 case will make the disc loose. Putting a keychain there would spread the affected area and more easily apply pressure.
The cases do suck and discs are easily dislodged. That being said, I'm never going to believe that the percentage of PS4 games that arrive with a floater disc do not decrease when packaging is changed from a bubble mailer to a box with packaging materials. Pressure does have to be placed on that case in order for the disc to pop out - decrease the chances of that happening and you have to decrease the chances of the disc popping out. I know you can put it in a box and try to smash the box to get some pressure on that case. During transit, it's still less likely that is going to happen if it's well packaged. I know all online retailers aren't going to package product based on the mindset that the customer will never open the game, though. This would actually be an issue for me if these were DVDs and a floater instantly meant the disc was scratched.

I mean, it has to be possible, right? Plenty do arrive without floaters, so there have to be cases where they don't see enough pressure placed on top of the package during transit even in a bubble mailer. Somehow, every LRG game I've bought has arrived with no floaters. Amazon/Best Buy are probably around 60% floaters.

I'm more bothered by the easily creased cover art thanks to those terrible cases.

We noticed customer retention on PS4 has been pretty dismal vs Vita and I have to imagine it's the loose disc problem. Sony can't fix it and neither can we so boxes are the best we can do. At the very least it gets rid of the most oft-referenced reason why loose discs are our fault. It won't eliminate the problem but should help to some small degree.

Yeah the loose disc problem has nothing to do with LRG.

For this entire year, whenever I visited a game store and a new game just launched, guaranteed at least half of the shipment of the games they got for PS4, all the discs were loose. Overwatch, doom, Street Fighter V, ect. Its just the cases Sony provides for the PS4 games are poop. :/

Edit : My Wild Guns Reloaded physical copy came loose yesterday. :/

I don't understand why people still blame LRG for loose discs. Nine times out of ten I get loose PS4 discs from Amazon. Clearly it's a conspiracy in which LRG is involved! :roll:

I don't understand why people still blame LRG for loose discs. Nine times out of ten I get loose PS4 discs from Amazon. Clearly it's a conspiracy in which LRG is involved! :roll:
Doesn't matter to me. If they are loose I resolve the problem when I open them up to play them. I buy games to play, not sit on a shelf in the hopes that in 20 years I can maybe sell it on the 1 out 1000 chance I can double my money. Could just put that money in the bank and more than double it guaranteed in that time. If someone buys games as an investment then they are doing investing really wrong and probably buy those super limited edition Franklin mint coins off tv at 3am in the morning and have stacks of a comic books of variant covers from the 90s with glow in the dark die-cut chrome embossed lettering bagged with a trading card.

Doesn't matter to me. If they are loose I resolve the problem when I open them up to play them. I buy games to play, not sit on a shelf in the hopes that in 20 years I can maybe sell it on the 1 out 1000 chance I can double my money. Could just put that money in the bank and more than double it guaranteed in that time. If someone buys games as an investment then they are doing investing really wrong and probably buy those super limited edition Franklin mint coins off tv at 3am in the morning and have stacks of a comic books of variant covers from the 90s with glow in the dark die-cut chrome embossed lettering bagged with a trading card.
I'm guessing you're not great at math or finance. With current interest rates and inflation, you wouldn't even come close to doubling your money in a typical savings account in 10 years or even 20 years. Also, there are plenty of collectors of coins and comics who have very valuable collections, just as there are lots of people with valuable video game collections. I mean, I suppose if you're buying copies of Madden and Call of Duty every year to keep sealed in your collection, you're probably losing money the second you walk out of the store. Of course, I don't know many experienced collectors who do that, just like I don't know many coin collectors who buy Franklin mint coins or comic collectors who buy mass produced variant covers.

I'm not aware of any LRG game that is worth less than MSRP on the resale market and there are some that will probably continue to appreciate in value for years to come. I'm certainly not somebody who collects thinking I'm "investing", but you're pretty naive if you don't understand that truly limited pop culture items like certain video games are likely to have long runs of appreciation over time that will outpace even the most aggressive investment strategy.

bread's done
Back