Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody received their cursed castilla ex from play Asia? Mine shipped on 5-15. Does it usually take this long? Last time I ordered from PA my package didn't take as long.

Has anybody received their cursed castilla ex from play Asia? Mine shipped on 5-15. Does it usually take this long? Last time I ordered from PA my package didn't take as long.
Haven't gotten mine yet, but 2-3 week shipping times are pretty standard for imports. Sometimes things get held up at customs, sometimes they slide through quickly and come in a week. It'll come through eventually.

Also, Alchemic Jousts isn't working for me either. Fun times.

Play-Asia stuff takes 3 - 5 weeks to arrive from shipment. They use a cheap, but slow, method for international shipping.

I bought Alchemic Jousts. Doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy but I like Eastasiaaoft so they can have my money. :)

My standard delivery time from Play-Asia is right at the 2 week mark, which would be any day now based on shipping on the 15th. I've also had Asian orders arrive faster, and some later, but 2 weeks is about the average.

Maybe they are having another FFX-2 situation, which wouldn't be good, so lets hope that's not the case.

Placed an order for Alchemic Jousts as it looks kind of fun.  Don't forget to use one of the $3 off Play-Asia coupons (I used MYPSVITA).

Where do you put the code during checkout? I can never seem to find it.
I think the answer is to not use the "check out with PayPal" button, but to just start with the regular check out button. You'll still be able to use PayPal for the purchase.

Edit: nope, don't see it this way either.

I think the answer is to not use the "check out with PayPal" button, but to just start with the regular check out button. You'll still be able to use PayPal for the purchase.

Edit: nope, don't see it this way either.
You need to check out on a computer and not use paypal, in order to use a coupon?

Just checked out on my desktop and the coupon box was there.

I got my copy of Strafe, I think it was Friday or Saturday? Been working alot so it's all becoming a blur. 

Anyway, looking at the shipping address I realized Special Reserve Games is approximately 6 miles from my house. I wonder if they have a front office that I can just go pickup my game in person next time I order something.  

Update for my Cursed Castilla. Tracking updated on 5/30 saying its in the states. Probably won't see an update from tracking from there on since USPS doesn't seem to update the tracking whenever I get a package from PlayAsia.

Update for my Cursed Castilla. Tracking updated on 5/30 saying its in the states. Probably won't see an update from tracking from there on since USPS doesn't seem to update the tracking whenever I get a package from PlayAsia.
USPS stopped doing that 2ish years ago due to contract expiring or something like that

Just assume youll get it in a week after its arrival in the Us due to customs aNd what not

BTW, was there ever anymore information given in regards to the Velocity 2X Critical Mass Edition in regards to a US release? I just noticed over at Badland Indie's page, they have links to pre-order overseas, so I'm wondering if this is coming to the US or not?

http://badlandindie.com/velocity-2x-critical-mass-edition/

I thought I read early on from FuturLab that a US version would happen, and details would come later, but I haven't seen or read any other information on the subject. If it's only getting a EU release, I can import, but only if I know for sure we aren't getting a similar version here.

Pretty sure it's getting a US release. They just haven't mentioned anything else since.

Does anyone have experience with how PA handles pre-order orders? 

To be more specific, I nabbed a copy of Wonder Boy (before LRG announced they were doing one. UGH) with my Cursed Castilla EX order and I was wondering if that is gonna hold up my entire order?

I haven't received ANY updates for ANY shipping of ANY thing so I assume this is whats going on unfortunately. :(

Does anyone have experience with how PA handles pre-order orders?

To be more specific, I nabbed a copy of Wonder Boy (before LRG announced they were doing one. UGH) with my Cursed Castilla EX order and I was wondering if that is gonna hold up my entire order?

I haven't received ANY updates for ANY shipping of ANY thing so I assume this is whats going on unfortunately. :(
My one similar situation like yours, ended with them selling the game I ordered first, and was unable to fulfill once the second game came in to stock. So needless to say, that was the first and last time I had that situation happen, as I have not preorder more than one game in one order since.

I hope USPS doesn't lose my order of Cursed Castilla. 

They lost my order of SAO: Hollow Fragment before and it took 2 -3 months to get a damn replacement.

I hope USPS doesn't lose my order of Cursed Castilla.

They lost my order of SAO: Hollow Fragment before and it took 2 -3 months to get a damn replacement.
My current post man is great, as we talk on the regular when I see him on the route(and have time), so he has my cell number, so he'll text or call, when he needs a signature, or see if I'm home for packages to big for the box.

When he's off, or on vacation, all hell breaks loose, and anything can and will happen. Just a week ago, I showed a packaged delivered at my door, which I sit near most of the day, and there was nothing. So I ran and caught up to him, and said you (fucked up), so we came back, and he figured out he left it at another house a few avenues over(this happens more often than not).

I agree, going through replacements with any one besides Amazon, is a HUGE pain in the ass, which I would rather avoid if and when ever possible. Even if it means doing the postman's job, when they aren't up to the task. LOL

still haven't gotten Cursed Castilla yet I've gotten other, later placed, PA orders. Nor my PS4 copy of Strafe from the pc/ps4 bundle, I only ever got the single tracking number for Strafe, are they supposed to give me a second tracking # for the ps4 game?

I got my copy of Strafe this Wednesday and Cursed Castilla yesterday. I really love these play-Asia limited editions. The shipping box is great. The way the contents are packaged is wonderful and I love the limited edition numbered card. I skipped the last release, alchemist joust not a game I had interest in, but I can't wait to see what else they have planned. Well done eastasiasoft!

My copy of Slain for Vita from SEG arrived today (plus both of my RoR copies from LRG), and both of my Strafe copies arrived a few days ago. Still no sign of the Cursed Castilla copies.

Yeah I ordered Shadow Warrior 2, one PS4 copy and one bundle for the extras, haven't seen anything yet. Been playing the game already on my PS4, it's fantastic.

Pretty sure Shadow Warrior 2 won't be ready to ship for a few weeks. Don't have all the info, but I think that was what I was told regarding it.

bread's done
Back