Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Axiom Verge and Velocity 2x all platforms and editions live on Amazon.

They will probably cop out on the prime discount with the word "edition" in the covers despite not being a collector edition.

Axiom Verge and Velocity 2x all platforms and editions live on Amazon.

They will probably cop out on the prime discount with the word "edition" in the covers despite not being a collector edition.
Prime discount wouldn't work for me. Great.
Amazon often takes some time to add the Prime discount after posting games for preorder, just keep checking the game and it will probably eventually be added. They did this with Raiden V for PS4, added the discount later after posting the game for preorder.

Amazon often takes some time to add the Prime discount after posting games for preorder, just keep checking the game and it will probably eventually be added. They did this with Raiden V for PS4, added the discount later after posting the game for preorder.
Well Amazon also takes the discount away too. With Aerea Collector's Edition they had the discount for the longest time and when I finally went to order it this week they took it away. It wouldn't surprise me if they took away Raiden's as well, before its release date.

Got my pre-orders in for Velocity 2X and Axiom Verge. Been wanting physical copies of both of those.
I ordered both of these as well. I'm kind of annoyed they don't get the prime discount. I have my fingers crossed that maybe Best Buy will have these available and I can cancel from Amazon and order from BB with GCU.

I ordered both of these as well. I'm kind of annoyed they don't get the prime discount. I have my fingers crossed that maybe Best Buy will have these available and I can cancel from Amazon and order from BB with GCU.
Best Buy will likely carry these as they carried Badland's other US release. Not guaranteed they will of course, but I am leaning towards that they will.

It doesn't matter if it was announced at one point. If the system is dead why would they still release the game for it? It makes no sense for them.
I thought the same about Darksiders: Warmastered Edition yet that still released.

https://twitter.com/HeavyArm_Store/status/888339587554095104

eh... i actually went to post it on the CE thread also. maybe i shouldnt post it here?

If I remember correctly, Josh said LRG version wouldn't have less than the Asian release, so it should be equal to if nothing else(or something to that effect).
I think he was talking about Ghost Blade HD when he made that statement.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/356674-limited-run-games-thread-neurovoider-drive-drive-drive-on-july-21st-plague-road-oceanhorn-on-july-28th/?p=13750265

Our release won't be until November or December and I've cut the run size in half to 2,000 to account for the demand Play-Asia will serve. No idea what packaging will end up like at this point but I can tell you we won't put out a release inferior to Play-Asia.

Our reluctance to include extras isn't a matter of trying to make more money for ourselves - the extras would eat into the money taken home by the devs. EAS and Special Reserve have the luxury of being the developers/digital publishers of the games they release (in the case of EAS, the regional localizers/publishers) so they have more wiggle room for margin. Outside of B&C and SMRPG, I didn't develop any of the LRG releases so I don't have the ability to raise the cost of goods for the extras. Let's also not forget that EAS is in Hong Kong so their overall COGs for this stuff will be unbeatable by a US based company.

But the Darksiders: WE devs were adamant all along that the Wii U version was still coming. They announced that fact on several occasions after it had become clear that the Wii U was done.
And yet they just confirmed that the Wii U version is still coming to NA

Wonder what route they'll take on Wii U?
I applaud them if they still plan to release the Wii U version, but that seems like a waste of resources, time and funds. As I honestly can't see it selling well enough to make it worth it in the end. Especially if they are planning an NS version, as that seems a much more fruitful effort.

I mean the Wii U got it digitally right? I guess if they could produce it in small of qty's, it would be good, but with "N" and what would be required, I don't see that being an option. But I guess we'll know one way or another, soon enough.

I applaud them if they still plan to release the Wii U version, but that seems like a waste of resources, time and funds. As I honestly can't see it selling well enough to make it worth it in the end. Especially if they are planning an NS version, as that seems a much more fruitful effort.

I mean the Wii U got it digitally right? I guess if they could produce it in small of qty's, it would be good, but with "N" and what would be required, I don't see that being an option. But I guess we'll know one way or another, soon enough.
If Hello Kitty Kruisers can be produced from low quantity, then I'm sure Axiom Verge can too.

Tom Happ replied on Twitter about the physical Wii u copy of Axiom Verge. It's still gonna happen but they're having trouble finding retailers.

https://twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/888475228157890561

Thanks for the info on Tachyon Project. I got in an order but couldnt use the $3 off code as I never saw the code box on Firefox, Chrome, or Edge. Oh well, at least I got the game.

I ordered Tachyon Project for Vita, and I'm considering the PS4 version. It's a fun dual stick shooter. And I used MYPSVITA for $3 off, using the method above described by Vigilante.

Thanks for the info on Tachyon Project. I got in an order but couldnt use the $3 off code as I never saw the code box on Firefox, Chrome, or Edge. Oh well, at least I got the game.
Don't feel bad, as that box goes missing on the regular, as PA seems hell bent on no one ever using their codes. LOL

bread's done
Back