Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a clickable option on the same page where you select your payment method.
Thanks for the clarification, but I swear there was no clickable box ever on the page where you choose credit card, paypal, etc. I must have added the game to my cart and tried to go through 3 times on each browser.

Thanks for the clarification, but I swear there was no clickable box ever on the page where you choose credit card, paypal, etc. I must have added the game to my cart and tried to go through 3 times on each browser.
We've had this same problem for everyone of these releases, and there are very few here who have never had issues with finding the code box, so as I said, your not alone. I've used it many times, and I still can't find it each and every time, so I would for sure say they need to change how it works, or where it's placed, as it is a regular problem here for many, who all know how to input a discount code.

the thing with PA is that they are pretty random about when you can actually use a code or not, and if you can't use a code the box flatout will not appear at all, I wouldn't stress it for $3 off

the thing with PA is that they are pretty random about when you can actually use a code or not, and if you can't use a code the box flatout will not appear at all, I wouldn't stress it for $3 off
A couple weeks ago I tried using a code on PA. The code box wasn't available on chrome then switched to Safari and it showed up. Yesterday it worked perfect using Chrome.

Tachyon looks alot like Geometry Wars. Is that essentially what it is, like a more beefed up version? Is there anything else to it that sets it apart?  

Tachyon looks alot like Geometry Wars. Is that essentially what it is, like a more beefed up version? Is there anything else to it that sets it apart?
It's really similar, but way less beefed. I think it has 10 levels or something, it really pales in comparison to Geometry Wars 3.

So... here's just a little preview of what the new "master list" will look like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEbJ-NVAR9uFdD4qvTR7QRflVKFP2y7rT_xNXgyukyc/edit?usp=sharing

I've been cataloging a lot of stuff on my computer, so please don't think this is all that I've done.

Anyway, this should make browsing and organizing a lot easier for everyone. You'll be able to sort the list by all the different categories and add filters and whatnot to find exactly what you're looking for.

The first empty column will have little icons with links to the cover art for each game.

So... here's just a little preview of what the new "master list" will look like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEbJ-NVAR9uFdD4qvTR7QRflVKFP2y7rT_xNXgyukyc/edit?usp=sharing

I've been cataloging a lot of stuff on my computer, so please don't think this is all that I've done.

Anyway, this should make browsing and organizing a lot easier for everyone. You'll be able to sort the list by all the different categories and add filters and whatnot to find exactly what you're looking for.

The first empty column will have little icons with links to the cover art for each game.
Great start...definitely looks nice and clean versus the list on the 1st page.

As expected, Amazon has now applied the Prime discount to the Badlands games (Axiom and Velocity).  You can use the change shipping speed trick if you've already pre-ordered.

https://twitter.com/MyLifeInGaming/status/890560748719665152

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/890570062180077569

I'm 99% sure this is related to Night Trap.

^Will it not automatically adjust the prime discount otherwise if you pre-ordered an item before the discount was live? This has me worried about all my open orders... 

^Will it not automatically adjust the prime discount otherwise if you pre-ordered an item before the discount was live? This has me worried about all my open orders...
That's why you do the change-shipping trick, so you don't have to worry about the discount automatically applying. You can even "change" your shipping to what you already had and the Prime discount should appear.

As expected, Amazon has now applied the Prime discount to the Badlands games (Axiom and Velocity). You can use the change shipping speed trick if you've already pre-ordered.
Thanks for the heads up, as I was just getting ready to place my VGP orders today. I guess I'll roll the dice on Amazon and those damn bubble mailers. I'll grab 2 copies of each, and hopefully that insures a box is used(but I won't be holding my breath).

EDIT: BTW, in looking at what's included in Velocity for the Vita, it's not getting the book, so this game shouldn't really have a special package, as all the bonus stuff should just be on the cart or in the case right?

Where Axiom looks to have a special box, for it's extra items.

So I guess I'll order 2 Axiom and only one of Velocity, as there is little chance a Vita game case alone gets damaged in shipping.

Thanks for the heads up, as I was just getting ready to place my VGP orders today. I guess I'll roll the dice on Amazon and those damn bubble mailers. I'll grab 2 copies of each, and hopefully that insures a box is used(but I won't be holding my breath).

EDIT: BTW, in looking at what's included in Velocity for the Vita, it's not getting the book, so this game shouldn't really have a special package, as all the bonus stuff should just be on the cart or in the case right?

Where Axiom looks to have a special box, for it's extra items.

So I guess I'll order 2 Axiom and only one of Velocity, as there is little chance a Vita game case alone gets damaged in shipping.
I don't think either the PS4 or Vita versions of Velocity are getting a box. Badlands has stuffed art books and soundtracks in the standard PS4 cases before with their UK releases.

It will not automatically adjust, at least not consistently. I have had at least two games recently where I had to contact Amazon after shipping as the discount never applied to my early preorders.

I don't think either the PS4 or Vita versions of Velocity are getting a box. Badlands has stuffed art books and soundtracks in the standard PS4 cases before with their UK releases.
Well, that's interesting news to say the least.

So the PS4 version gets the "exclusive studio booklet", but all preorders are supposed to get the art book correct? At least based on Badlands sight info, so does Amazon make mention of it? I don't see anything at VGP either. At Badlands site, it says "retailer dependent", but I haven't seen any of the retailers for the US version listing it, so I wonder if it will be shrink wrapped to the game cases, or if we won't get it at all.

Got my Ghost Blade copy today, and it has me wondering: where can I buy resealable poly-bags like the ones Play-Asia uses for these games? The Blu-ray and DVD size ones are easy enough to find, but where can I get bags for thicker boxes like the Play-Asia games?

Ghost Blade arrived in the mail today for me as well. Really nicely done. Excited to fire it up later and play for a few hours.  Play Asia is killing it with their exclusive releases. Nice pack-ins. Solid games. Nicely packaged with the bubble wrap and boxes. Reasonable prices, especially after getting several dollars knocked off by using coupon codes.

Got my Ghost Blade copy today, and it has me wondering: where can I buy resealable poly-bags like the ones Play-Asia uses for these games? The Blu-ray and DVD size ones are easy enough to find, but where can I get bags for thicker boxes like the Play-Asia games?
I use these for editions of this size, they are perfect size and offer far more protection than a polybag if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.retroprotection.com/Walking-Dead-Jumbo-Steelbook-Protector-Read-1-Protector-470.htm

I finally got my Cursed Castilla, and I'm extremely disappointed. The outer box was perfect, but I left CEs and steelbooks long ago, so I only display the normal game. I'm a stickler for condition, and the front of my standard game case inside has a minor crease in the artwork. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but I replace games that have that. Due to the limited nature and it being sold out, though, that replacement would be like $150. Frustrating when I got my order in for the actual release, and I'm still left out trying to buy second hand.

I like the bubble mailers they use myself. They work great for loose mvs carts.

I wonder of LRG has ever thought of attempting to get a disc release of P.T.

That would be amazing.

Edit: Shit, thought I was in the LRG thread. :dunce:

I wonder of LRG has ever thought of attempting to get a disc release of P.T.

That would be amazing.

Edit: Shit, thought I was in the LRG thread. :dunce:
konami would have to be responsible and they would never ever consider it unless they were financially suffering and attempted to revive their console gaming reputation.

Anyone estimate how long play Asia shipping takes? Singapore post said it left for USA like 4 days ago and I've got no updates. I haven't ordered from them in a long while. Is it one of those that just shows up and never updates?

Locoroco and parappa. Should have waited for locoroco 2 but whatever I'll pay shipping again. Love love love those games.

Play Asia is two weeks minimum before you worry. I never did get my castila :/, they said it got to the states but I didn't want to go play whack a mole with the post office. They have no state side tracking if you used the cheap option

Play Asia is two weeks minimum before you worry. I never did get my castila :/, they said it got to the states but I didn't want to go play whack a mole with the post office. They have no state side tracking if you used the cheap option
The Post Office lost it. Stateside tracking is no longer offered with the cheap shipping option due to a contract expiring.

Did you get a refund? I honestly kept bitching at them to resend me a new one. It took 2 - 3 months once it was all done

My brother got his Ghost Blade today and still nothing on my end. I'm starting to get a bit worried.
I just got Ghost Blade this week. I live on the East Coast so usually games from Play Asia take about 3-4 weeks to arrive. I assume that if you live on the West Coast it should be 2-3 weeks

Yeah. I'm from California and the BS thing is that we live 2 houses away from each other and he ordered his like a week later than I did.

bread's done
Back