Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love LRG, but PlayAsia does my favorite limited releases, so far. They're so clean. They all look like they're part of a set and come with excellent value for your buck.
My favorite ones too. I have the full PA set it's definitely proudly displayed in my collection. Especially Cursed Castilla, as its my favorite of the releases.

The Techyon Project was my first Play-Asia release, and I was very impressed. I'm very much looking forward to their future Vita offerings, but hopefully they don't go overboard, but a title a month would be awesome.

I wanted to pull the trigger on Tachyon Project but it felt too much like Geometry Wars to justify considering my limited spending budget. I do agree their releases are well done though and the three I own (Ghost Blade, Blue Rider, Castilla) look great on my shelf. I will probably snag Caveman Warriors most likely. 

I wanted to pull the trigger on Tachyon Project but it felt too much like Geometry Wars to justify considering my limited spending budget. I do agree their releases are well done though and the three I own (Ghost Blade, Blue Rider, Castilla) look great on my shelf. I will probably snag Caveman Warriors most likely.
Where I do normally go over my budget each month(actually, what budget?), I only buy Vita titles, and an occasional NS title if the price is right, or if I think it may be limited. I swear, for a system that is no longer offered in this country, the amount of games released for the Vita is ridiculous to say the least. LOL

I may get a PS4 or ONE this holiday if the price is right, but even then I'll only be buying titles I can get for $20 and under. No reason to buy new much anymore, as I don't play most titles that quickly anyways. I actually was going to get Cursed Castilla, as a show of support for the title, but that sold out before I could, so I saved the money. I just grabbed it recently for the 3DS, and really like it. I wish a Vita version would have been made, as it's a perfect title for that system.

This is coming out on 10/10 by Dispatch Games

DK70xz0VoAATAnU.jpg

But this is shovelware with Switch Tax™. ;)
I was thinking the same thing, as shovelware comes with the territory, but the high price is just being greedy. Sadly, depending on the qyt's produced, that game could end up one of the rarest collectibles for the system. LOL

IndieBox is shutting down their subscription service.

https://www.theindiebox.com/
Publishing ~3000 copies of games every month with the effort they put in just wasn't sustainable as they grew beyond the initial 3 people. Hopefully for them whatever their next direction is with publishing and providing services to other companies will work out better. In the end, I think most of these smaller publishers will hit a major growth roadblock like this where they either pivot or die.

My Amazon pre-order of Battle Chasers (PS4) still doesn't have an estimated delivery date. Is the physical edition being delayed? I noticed BB and GS have different release dates for it now (10/4 at BB, 10/10 at GS)

Publishing ~3000 copies of games every month with the effort they put in just wasn't sustainable as they grew beyond the initial 3 people. Hopefully for them whatever their next direction is with publishing and providing services to other companies will work out better. In the end, I think most of these smaller publishers will hit a major growth roadblock like this where they either pivot or die.
I think the real issue is that they published PC physical games and not console physical games, and PC games are far less collectible due to the lack of a unified PC hardware architecture. Look at all the steelbook PC games that Gamestop was (and still is) blowing out for $5 each like Rogue Legacy, Nuclear Throne, Jotun, etc. for further proof of the same issues. I don't think this announcement will have any impact on LRG, PA, and other publishers of physical console games.

When I saw GameStop was shipping them out when they hit the $5 mark I was surprised. $50 for the whole set of Steelbook CEs seemed like a great deal and some of the games like Axiom Verge, Guacamelee,  Rogue Legacy, etc are popular. They released at $20 which is pretty reasonable too. A shame it didn't pan out.

My Amazon pre-order of Battle Chasers (PS4) still doesn't have an estimated delivery date. Is the physical edition being delayed? I noticed BB and GS have different release dates for it now (10/4 at BB, 10/10 at GS)
I got an email today stating I should receive the game by 10/6.

I was given an updated delivery estimate of 10/5 yesterday, and while I still haven't had a shipping notification, I did notice the money has been debited from my card today. I ordered 1/27 if that matters to you.

Thanks for the responses. Still nothing on my order, but since delivery dates are starting to pop up I'll give it another day before contacting support.

I think the real issue is that they published PC physical games and not console physical games, and PC games are far less collectible due to the lack of a unified PC hardware architecture. Look at all the steelbook PC games that Gamestop was (and still is) blowing out for $5 each like Rogue Legacy, Nuclear Throne, Jotun, etc. for further proof of the same issues. I don't think this announcement will have any impact on LRG, PA, and other publishers of physical console games.
Disagree. There is a very vibrant PC physical collecting community worldwide. As I think I have mentioned before, I am a member of one Facebook PC collecting group that has over three thousand members worldwide. Similarly, physical tiers on Kickstarters for big games often end up with thousands and thousands of backers. There are many older PC games that go for hundreds or even a thousand dollars when they show up on Ebay. There are also many tools that allow modern PCs with modest specs to run older PC games quite well. The standard Indiebox release didn't tax even older PCs too much as they were not graphic card intensive releases. In short, PC collecting is something lots of people do, even if it doesn't have the same visibility as say PS4 game collecting right now.

As for why Indiebox failed, as someone who had a subscription since near the beginning, I can say with confidence that their focus on indie, niche games didn't always appeal to PC collectors. Indeed, many collectors on the forums I frequent never joined Indiebox because they had little interest in indie games or getting CE versions of those games. Moreover, for most of the time Indiebox was doing subscriptions, they required "blind" subscriptions and some of their releases were uneven. It wasn't until the last year or so that they announced releases in advance. They also struggled to raise prices and essentially allowed people with long term subscriptions to stay at the $20 monthly level long after the quality of the games and box contents increased. Interestingly, the early Indiebox releases like Teslagrad, Escape Goat 2 and others go for over $100 on the rare occasions they appear on Ebay. Sadly, the failure of Indiebox is just one more example of why the LRG business model (fixed runs rather than subscriptions or open preorders) is probably the only thing that will work long-term for niche physical games.

All good points and certainly IndiBox pivoting doesn't directly affect the other publishers. That said, IndieBox had 3000+ people buying games steadily and they couldn't financially make it work once they grew to the size they are now. They had a captured market that ultimately didn't grow to match the companies desire to grow and that is something comparable. Most of these smaller companies started out making around 3K copies per game... and you'd think after a few years they'd be able sustain bigger and bigger runs IF the demand was there. But the demand can't sustain individual game production growth.

Much of it is a bubble propped up by those that see the potential profit on a rare item and that bubble will pop weather or not the companies take the initiative to pivot before hand. The best they can do right now is keep the production numbers low to keep the demand off the charts from the secondary market prospectors, but keeping the production low ends up killing growth which the company has to sustain in order to pay everyone involved. The other counter to the lack of growth is just publish more titles every month, but even that has it's limits as we are already hearing complaints of a lack of unpublished content worth publishing physical for the vita. It doesn't matter if there are more console game collectors these days, if there isn't much content left worth publishing. Granted things aren't going to end tomorrow, but I believe they will either end completely, the companies will have to pivot, or the companies will have to scale back to fewer employees and fewer releases to survive.

PA is a big enough company with enough diversity that when they start having harder times selling things out they have a strong business to fall back on. For them, this is tantamount to what GameStop is doing with their exclusives and self published games. I think GS is destined to fail in publishing due to the quality of games alone. Fangamer barely does enough game sales for it to be a major factor in their business surviving. They too have a pretty diverse portfolio, though a bit more niche. I don't want this to be about LRG specifically but wasn't it Josh that said he had to work three jobs (teaching, Mighty Rabbit & LRG) because LRG wasn't giving him a regular salary he could survive on yet? I'm pretty sure that's what he said in the LRG thread. Now with the ESRB delaying their production what does that do for the companies bottom line while they have had to scramble to shift gears and delay selling games when they have a crew of people hired (3 CS Reps?) to pay for? I don't know how Mighty Rabbit Studios is even surviving considering their last credit was a generic sort of game for HumbleBundle. Maybe they have a lot of uncredited contract work? LRG was birthed as a way to stave off MightRabbit from shutting down, maybe contract work through MightyRabbit would be the pivot when the publishing game starts to venture away from long term profitability.

I wonder about Yacht Club Games too. They came in on the backs of a very popular and well sold indie title. They branched out with Mighty Gunvolt Striker Pack on 3DS which while it seems to now have improved in value a little, was a pretty big risk and it's interesting they aren't publishing the Switch version. I wonder if they see that small publishing, while great for a very small company, is a pretty big risk. I know it's different with full retail since Yacht Club even posted to their site that they had to wait for the income from physical sales of Shovel Knight... but it makes me wonder if they are already done with the experiment as well so they can just focus on making game content again. It'll be interesting to see if they ever publishing any more physical games at all. I know there are other companies too... I don't think any of them have that big of a chance with just copying LRG as well as those aiming to produce LE's like IndieBox. Plus there's VBlank which they did fine with their own stuff and Guacamelee, but they are staying super small and keeping the quality of releases pretty high and infrequent. If they survive it'll simply be from not growing into publishing but rather using it as a side hustle.

But that's just my view on it. Yatch Club at the moment seems to be done. GS is bound to implode. PA is doing something close to manufacturing on demand but with enough extras to try and get every dollar that they can (fairly low risk). LRG is keeping productions small to keep the resellers/prospectors coming back but upping the number of releases thus draining the pool. It'll be really interesting to see what the next 5 years bring. I wonder if any of these companies will really be able to survive publishing games. I hope they do, but then they all sort of rely on these smaller indie games and the bigger companies are also starting to scoop some of them up further draining the potential.

The key word I used in explaining my situation was that I *had* three jobs. I quit my teaching job last March. Limited Run generates enough to pay everyone reasonable amounts, but not enough where I'm cruising around on a yacht or rolling around in money like some people assume. There's no sign that the business will go anywhere and we've actually discovered ways to grow our bottom line despite the market being niche.

IndieBox was shipping heavy boxes with a lot of extras inside for as low as $20 shipped. With the production costs on each box being rather high, devs needing a cut, and shipping being expensive for things of that weight - their margins on 3,000 copies were *considerably* worse than ours. They couldn't raise prices without massive backlash so they were forced to live off whatever small cut they were pulling in. The subscription model also left them with only being able to release one game per month. We can release as many as we see fit since people aren't on a subscription.

Mighty Rabbit is doing contract development on a huge project right now - we've only ever released one game that wasn't developed for a client - Saturday Morning RPG. Publishing is much more lucrative and we've actually been moving people away from dev to help grow Limited Run.

Limited Run will be around for a long time - short of me getting tired and shutting down on a whim, there's no reason we'll go anywhere. We have $0 in debt and have operated as profitable from day one. Not really the sign of a business on the verge of collapse.

We have $0 in debt and have operated as profitable from day one. Not really the sign of a business on the verge of collapse.
Yes, that is indeed a solid business model. A lot of companies start out in debt that they may or may not dig themselves out of. Zero debt and steady profits is a healthy, sustainable business model.

PC gaming has a collecting community. But as has been stated, there is no unified architecture to structure that collecting around, which makes it a bit more of the wild west. This keeps the value of collectibles for the PC down. There is simply less demand. In the long term, scarcity will boost the potential after market value of some of those items. But there won't be many who want to go out and pick those items up for full-price. (I personally snatched a handful of those Indie-box steel cases the last time I was in GameStop, $5 per is not bad) The PC has already shifted hard to digital distribution, which considerably diminishes the perceived value of physical games. There's also the fact that even digital distribution is not unified on the PC, limiting the appeal of in-box digital codes. And of course, these days there's no guarantee that someone will even bother installing an optical drive in their PC. It's considered optional hardware in most PCs now.

I’m wondering if the standard edition includes the manual or just case & cartridge?? Prob go standard either way although I do want that sweet manual. Keychain is cool too.

Damn you Brian, how many times am I supposed to buy this game. LOL

I'm ready to throw my money at Shakedown Hawaii, enough of RCR already. He must be trying for some Guinness book of records title or something. LOL

I’m wondering if the standard edition includes the manual or just case & cartridge?? Prob go standard either way although I do want that sweet manual. Keychain is cool too.
I think the standard edition will come with a manual as well based on the store page.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28223]

Was the print run on RCR Switch mentioned at all anywhere? Was wondering how vblank broke into the Switch market when other outlets specifically LRG have said it's an impossibility at the time.

Was the print run on RCR Switch mentioned at all anywhere? Was wondering how vblank broke into the Switch market when other outlets specifically LRG have said it's an impossibility at the time.
Well that's just what they where told, and Brian has a long standing relationship with "N", plus I'm sure he ordered more of these than LRG would have for any particular release. So I don't think he did anything special, just ordered a good amount, and since he has been offering games on "N" systems for awhile now, I see no reason why he wouldn't have been able to get these made.

Also, it sounds like both Special Reserve (confirmed) and LRG (strongly rumored and not denied by LRG) will be releasing titles on Switch very soon, so it appears Nintendo has eased up significantly.

Never played RCR, and the game looks good, but why do I feel compelled to get this?

Also, notice the Super Mario Bros 2 themed manual...

From RCR’s Twitter page:

“ 3000 CE go up for pre-order 9am PT Mon. @ (link: http://vblank.com) vblank.com. A smaller number of 2nd chance copies will be available when in stock. “

So apparently the CE is limited to 3000 units with a smaller 2nd chance restock to follow.

I’m curious to know the production numbers on the standard version??

Glad to hear the standard version does include the instruction manual as I’ll be going for that version.

From RCR’s Twitter page:

“ 3000 CE go up for pre-order 9am PT Mon. @ (link: http://vblank.com) vblank.com. A smaller number of 2nd chance copies will be available when in stock. “
Any mention of limits per customer? I doubt I would buy a second copy, but just trying to gauge my chances of getting one. Normally these offerings have been unlimited in the past, so just wondering, as a limit of at least 1-2 should be put in place, so one clown doesn't buy all 3000. LOL

Any mention of limits per customer? I doubt I would buy a second copy, but just trying to gauge my chances of getting one. Normally these offerings have been unlimited in the past, so just wondering, as a limit of at least 1-2 should be put in place, so one clown doesn't buy all 3000. LOL
VBlank generally doesn't say they will never do a reprint (and in fact they did with the PS4 version of the game, albeit with a different cover), so I don't think they worry too much about scalpers trying to suck up the supply.

VBlank generally doesn't say they will never do a reprint (and in fact they did with the PS4 version of the game, albeit with a different cover), so I don't think they worry too much about scalpers trying to suck up the supply.
While your statement is very true, I can't see this getting another printing due to Shakedown H around the corner. That game I'm sure will become the new RCR in regards to physical options and reprints down the road.

How many times do I have to buy RCR? Stupid reversible cover is only in the CE so I’m going to have to buy that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys think the CE will come with a box?
Pretty sure they used Indiebox to do fulfillment last time. Not sure if that's the case again given Indiebox's current situation, but I ordered two of the PSP (empty case) copies and they came in a box, but the box was very flimsy and ended up getting crushed and both copies were badly damaged. They replaced them, but even the second shipment wasn't packaged particularly well.

While your statement is very true, I can't see this getting another printing due to Shakedown H around the corner. That game I'm sure will become the new RCR in regards to physical options and reprints down the road.
I don't think Shakedown is all that close given how long it took RCR to be completed in the first place. I also think with 3,000 copies of the CE plus however many as the "second chance" stock and a standard edition, this will last a decent amount of time for everyone that wants a copy to get one.

Do you guys think the CE will come with a box?
He said on Twitter it will all be inside the Switch case. Meaning the keychain will cause it to bulge out like the Cave Story+ GameStop edition. I'll be skipping it for that reason, as pedantic as that is. I can't deal with a bulging case. The River City 3DS game that has that issue taunts me on my shelf by not sitting nice with my other games.

Late to the convo but I've been an Indiebox subscriber for close to 2 years. They've had their ups and downs, about half the boxes I'm pretty impressed with and half disappointed. I had no idea they were only shipping about 3000 boxes per month, that seems way too low to keep a viable business going. I'm pretty happy with my overall collection.

Also, I don't play PC games at all. I would usually unload the Steam keys for a few bucks here on the trade thread. I just subscribed for the collectibles. I was disappointed when they transitioned from cool USB sticks to discs.

bread's done
Back