Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming from Play Asia.

DQU6SrmU8AACfUr.jpg

Vesta 

DQaZgP-VQAA9k88.jpg

The Coma - Recut

Another Pre Order bonus is a coaster.

Both are shipping out in January 2018 and are 29.99 each

https://www.play-asia.com/info/comavesta

You already got Cursed Castilla Vita? I can't even track my package... Singpost says arrived in US on 11/29, USPS says it can't be tracked.
It's not mine. I didn't order Cursed Castilla Vita since I have the PS4 version.

USPS stopped tracking PA packages a few years ago after letting a contract expire. The only thing you can do know is hope it comes to you.

It should arrive for you this week or by next Wednesday. The wait time is largely due to customs I bet. Standard wait time is about 2 - 3 weeks.

Love those PA releases! I had a hard time finding many reviews of the two new releases though. Had anyone here played either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You already got Cursed Castilla Vita? I can't even track my package... Singpost says arrived in US on 11/29, USPS says it can't be tracked.
Just for a point of reference, mine showed the same, and arrived to me on the 4th. So pretty much, it arrived to the US on the 29th, and that is where tracking stops. So it needs to clear customs at that point, before it enters the US mail stream. Without tracking working, there's no way to tell how long an item has been in customs. So it just becomes a waiting game once you see it reaches the US.

I'm not sure what classification these standard shipping items move at once they start on the US side. It's airmail from Asia, so it could be considered "first class" when it clears customs, or it could be considered "parcel select"(slow). I'm on the west coast, so if it's either one, mine can arrive pretty much within a few days. If your on the east coast, depending on how it comes, it could be a rather large difference of days. A few for first class, or a week or so with parcel select.

It's also the holidays, and anything that isn't first class or above, is treated like shit and takes a back seat to anything with higher priority. LOL

Heads up Deformers physical release from GameStop has been recalled. All employees have been told to return to corporate and not sell to customers. They are destroying the copies for a write off. These should be getting rare in the future.

Heads up Deformers physical release from GameStop has been recalled. All employees have been told to return to corporate and not sell to customers. They are destroying the copies for a write off. These should be getting rare in the future.

$21 shipped on GameFly right now.

I can already see six months from now they start finding small batches of them that mysteriously just showed up out of nowhere that they sell bundle with some crap at a premium price on thinkgeek.

Is there something going on with the physical release of Hello, Neighbor for Xbox One? I pre-ordered last week on Amazon, still have no shipping for tomorrow's release, estimated delivery, and now it's listed as unavailable. More interested in just getting the game, but figured if it's a limited run (which makes sense, it's going to sell more digitally because of all the streamer buzz) I want to try to hunt down a copy tomorrow even if I end up paying more than what I would with Prime.

Is there something going on with the physical release of Hello, Neighbor for Xbox One? I pre-ordered last week on Amazon, still have no shipping for tomorrow's release, estimated delivery, and now it's listed as unavailable. More interested in just getting the game, but figured if it's a limited run (which makes sense, it's going to sell more digitally because of all the streamer buzz) I want to try to hunt down a copy tomorrow even if I end up paying more than what I would with Prime.
Mine shipped last night and is currently out for delivery. Maybe Amazon just didn't get all of their copies yet.

Mine shipped last night and is currently out for delivery. Maybe Amazon just didn't get all of their copies yet.
Darn, thought it offered release date delivery when I checked out and has since not had it, this was earlier in the week last week too. Hopefully it gets here, have the weekend open and wanted to mess with it, have not really watched much online of any of the alphas/betas.

only $30 each and save $5 for buying both. such a great deal. i wish LRG would sell that cheap
Unfortunately, there's a reason EAS struggles to sign well-known games. Between the rampant discounts PA offers, the extra contents EAS includes, and the low price tag - devs make a fraction of what they'd earn through us. The big games won't put in the work for a physical release just to earn $10,000. It's not worth it.

If you want physical releases of stuff to exist - the end result has to be worth it to devs. The reason physical media was dying was because the risk and effort wasn't worth it with the margins of traditional retail. If we follow EAS pricing it becomes a race to the bottom. Quality releases will come to a halt. Instead you'll get $29.99 boxed copies of Paranautical Activity with a soundtrack and art book - but who cares when the game itself isn't really that exciting?

Unfortunately, there's a reason EAS struggles to sign well-known games. Between the rampant discounts PA offers, the extra contents EAS includes, and the low price tag - devs make a fraction of what they'd earn through us. The big games won't put in the work for a physical release just to earn $10,000. It's not worth it.

If you want physical releases of stuff to exist - the end result has to be worth it to devs. The reason physical media was dying was because the risk and effort wasn't worth it with the margins of traditional retail. If we follow EAS pricing it becomes a race to the bottom. Quality releases will come to a halt. Instead you'll get $29.99 boxed copies of Paranautical Activity with a soundtrack and art book - but who cares when the game itself isn't really that exciting?
And how many games have you released just this year, that were mediocre at best?

This year was quantity over quality.

well, consumers and CAGs like us dont mind about the price. we get and buy what we wanted. its cheap. so we happy.

im pretty upset i bought Bard's Gold and found out its $5 digital.

And how many games have you released just this year, that were mediocre at best?

This year was quantity over quality.
We signed a lot of stuff in 2016 that we wouldn't have signed at this point. It's worth mentioning that I never said all of our games were critical gems or huge titles, it's just me noting that if we provided the value that EAS does we never would have been able to put out Oxenfree, Shadow Complex, Nex Machina, La-Mulana, Firewatch, Shantae, Oddworld, DARIUSBURST, Windjammers, Night Trap, Wonder Boy, Ys, Astebreed, Ray Gigant, Double Dragon or many of the other games at those levels. Yes, we could have still signed and released Bard's Gold and Mutant Mudds, but that just illustrates my point. That's the only kind of stuff we'd be able to release.

The margins we provide are what allow us to pursue partnerships with SNK, Capcom, and major players with digital only games. If we only could give devs or publishers $5 back per copy, we wouldn't be given the time of day by anyone but the smallest devs.

There has to be value in this for the big players and if there isn't, they'll just return their focus to digital only releases. We don't want that, so we have no ability to drop the ceiling on price here.

In a topical twist, EAS actually published Bard's Gold digitally in Asia and I'm pretty sure they planned a physical release of it until they learned of ours. I would have been totally OK letting EAS have it. I like the game, but I recognize it's obscure.

Of course most here understand the "BIG" picture so to speak, and while I personally try to support developers at all levels, it's not always a perfect to make happen. Consumers are in to it for the best deals, as the developers are in it to make the most money they can. What you describe while very true, is a two way street.

When I'm buying these EAS offerings from Play-Asia, I'm just thinking, "damn, this is a sweet deal". No one is looking at it from the stand point of, "how is this possible?", as a consumer just wants the most bang for the buck. If any of these developers truly gave a damn, they could offer physical on their own, take LRG & EAS out of the equation, and make more money for themselves. While also offering more for less, as the middle men are now gone.

As for quality releases, I would argue that most comments I see all over the web in regards to LRG is the lack of quality titles. While I personally don't buy that, changes have been made that seem to support those ideals. If making money for the little guy is really the end goal, why offer less games per year based on community issues in regards to quality? Why should someone who pours their heart & soul in to a project not get to offer it and make some money, because some don't like it, while others may?

Maybe EAS isn't making much money for their developer partners, but their efforts are always well received, and fans love the offerings. You pointed out early on how Badlands wasn't really going to be making much for the Axiom Verge creator in the way it would be offered. And that you guys could have made him more, with less risk. Now it is known that they are given 75% of their profits to his sons long term medical expenses. So while they may not be making much, they are helping others. Maybe the games offered at Play-Asia aren't making much for those involved, but maybe some of those involved just want to offer something great to fans, and money isn't their end game.

Yes, we all want physical games to exist, but maybe you guys should focus more on what your doing. And not so much on what others are, as you are not privy to the details of those deals. It seems more and more of these games thru PA are being offered, so if it wasn't working, I would think it would be less offerings, and not more. But that's my observation on the issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on Coma? Looks like a semi-visual novel with limited gameplay type of thing? Just point and click? I love survival horror stuff but if the actual gameplay is too minimal I'd rather pass. 

Anyone have any thoughts on Coma? Looks like a semi-visual novel with limited gameplay type of thing? Just point and click? I love survival horror stuff but if the actual gameplay is too minimal I'd rather pass.
From the gameplay footage I saw, I would liken it to Lone Survivor and/or Claire.

well, consumers and CAGs like us dont mind about the price. we get and buy what we wanted. its cheap. so we happy.

Most of the LRG releases you could buy digitally for $5 or less. Wait for PS+ or flash sales. Pretty sure Bards Gold has been under $1.99 a few times on PSN.

The whole value of digital product vs huge markup for a physical release just isn't there most of the time. They are small cheap, short, indie games for a reason and are sold as such.

Maybe EAS isn't making much money for their developer partners, but their efforts are always well received, and fans love the offerings. You pointed out early on how Badlands wasn't really going to be making much for the Axiom Verge creator in the way it would be offered. And that you guys could have made him more, with less risk. Now it is known that they are given 75% of their profits to his sons long term medical expenses. So while they may not be making much, they are helping others. Maybe the games offered at Play-Asia aren't making much for those involved, but maybe some of those involved just want to offer something great to fans, and money isn't their end game.

Yes, we all want physical games to exist, but maybe you guys should focus more on what your doing. And not so much on what others are, as you are not privy to the details of those deals. It seems more and more of these games thru PA are being offered, so if it wasn't working, I would think it would be less offerings, and not more. But that's my observation on the issue.
I wasn't attempting to get philosophical on anything here, I was simply explaining that we can't, and won't, compete with PA on price or contents because that would put margins well into "not worth it territory" for most of our bigger partners. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered responding in the first place, but I just like to try and be transparent with people and let them know that there's reasons for everything we do. As a collector and consumer myself, I'd love to match EAS' contents and prices - but it's just not practical unless a dev requests it and makes it clear they don't care about their earnings.

With regards to the games we're currently signing - the issue isn't entirely a quality thing. We're exhausting fans with releases and we have to slow down - the best way to slow down is to stop signing the games that tend to get collective shrugs on here and from our fans. I hate that most of those tend to be the passion projects built by a small team, but we have to be practical. We need to stop saturating our own market and killing our customer's wallets with too many releases. I've seen niche markets die from oversaturation (toys to life, music games, skateboard games, etc) - I don't want to cause that here.

The thing I'm noticing is that even EAS is starting to get into the same glut. It was looking like they'd have four games in January so they had to shift two back to this month on top of the Rainbow Skies, Rainbow Moon, and Skull Pirates preorders that they already launched this month. They're mirroring the pace that landed us in our situation.

As for Axiom Verge, we're well-beyond that "feud" now. The thing I never mentioned is that we offered to donate $30,000 to the developer to help with his son on top of our standard 70/30 split. BadLand also offered a charitable contribution that, let's be honest, is much better than ours. We didn't know about this until a few weeks ago when we read the message in the multiverse art book. We were originally salty because we thought we had made a really nice offer and that, surely, no profit-driven publisher would top it. The BadLand folk are class acts whom I really admire.

I wasn't attempting to get philosophical on anything here, I was simply explaining that we can't, and won't, compete with PA on price or contents because that would put margins well into "not worth it territory" for most of our bigger partners. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered responding in the first place, but I just like to try and be transparent with people and let them know that there's reasons for everything we do. As a collector and consumer myself, I'd love to match EAS' contents and prices - but it's just not practical unless a dev requests it and makes it clear they don't care about their earnings.
So you're not going to release Ghost Blade HD with the same type of package like PA? Thought you said you would make a CE on par with PA or better and would stick to the same price? So is Ghost Blade not getting a LRG release?

So you're not going to release Ghost Blade HD with the same type of package like PA? Thought you said you would make a CE on par with PA or better and would stick to the same price? So is Ghost Blade not getting a LRG release?
They are no longer releasing Ghost Blade per Douglas' posts on the LRG forums.

Most of the LRG releases you could buy digitally for $5 or less. Wait for PS+ or flash sales. Pretty sure Bards Gold has been under $1.99 a few times on PSN.

The whole value of digital product vs huge markup for a physical release just isn't there most of the time. They are small cheap, short, indie games for a reason and are sold as such.
Looks like you're totally missing the point. This whole thread is about physical releases. If you don't care about physical releases of smaller or obscure games getting a physical release, this thread and these products have nothing to do with you. Also, you need to put on a shirt.

Sounds like Special Reserve is planning to make a Ruiner announcement on Tuesday.  From some of the hints it sounds like they may have found a way to release the game physically after all.  

Sounds like Special Reserve is planning to make a Ruiner announcement on Tuesday. From some of the hints it sounds like they may have found a way to release the game physically after all.
Yeah, I never understood cancelling this just because of the ESRB crap. Just charge a little extra to cover the cost, and release it. Prices go up on goods all the time for any number of reasons, and to increase cost here should be understandable to most.

It's not my place to reveal it, but it'll be very clear, very soon, why we just wiped ourselves clean of the game. If we released it, it would have taken space on the schedule from something that wasn't already released elsewhere and in order to release it and better EAS' release, it would have generated no revenue for anyone involved. Alongside what I know to be coming, everything just compounded to make our release redundant. It stinks, but dropping it was the right move.

If you missed the game, do not rush to buy it on eBay. Values are about to tank.

Is there a change that LRG could do a physical release of HellBlade.  I'd love a package similar to Nex Machine (which I received today and was beautiful).  

Is there a change that LRG could do a physical release of HellBlade. I'd love a package similar to Nex Machine (which I received today and was beautiful).
They haven't released any triple AAA games to my knowledge and I doubt it will start with Hell blade .

They haven't released any triple AAA games to my knowledge and I doubt it will start with Hell blade .
Whether the player base reflects it or not, LawBreakers is considered AAA - even internally at Sony as we dealt directly with their AAA account reps on it. For reference, it had a budget of well over $10 million and was helmed by the creator of Gears of War and the founder of Guerilla Games (Killzone, Horizon: Zero Dawn).

Is there a change that LRG could do a physical release of HellBlade. I'd love a package similar to Nex Machine (which I received today and was beautiful).
We've had discussions with Ninja Theory as far back as a year ago (they actually reached out to us through Twitter). We're hopeful that we can make something happen eventually!

Is there something going on with the physical release of Hello, Neighbor for Xbox One? I pre-ordered last week on Amazon, still have no shipping for tomorrow's release, estimated delivery, and now it's listed as unavailable. More interested in just getting the game, but figured if it's a limited run (which makes sense, it's going to sell more digitally because of all the streamer buzz) I want to try to hunt down a copy tomorrow even if I end up paying more than what I would with Prime.
My copy arrived yesterday.

The Guacamelee Frenemies DLC can be gotten for free if you do a Quest on Live Playstation. Good for anyone who about the Guacamelee Super Championship Edition release a few months back. At least it will be "complete"

We've had discussions with Ninja Theory as far back as a year ago (they actually reached out to us through Twitter). We're hopeful that we can make something happen eventually!
Sounds Great! When you negotiate the deal, work to include a poster of Milena Juergens in CE.

It's a crime, that game not having a physical release. I'd be delighted if you guys can solve it.

bread's done
Back