Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Switch carts have all been region free, I doubt that Signature Edition would be the first one to publish a region locked cartridge. TBH I'm not 100% sure either way as to whether the carts themselves even support setting a region lock on themselves

Yeah, I knew they where region free, but how does DLC work? The Vita is region free for patches & games, but the DLC & online codes are locked to the region of origin. Does the NS work the same way, or do the different region carts, just automatically take you to the shop of that region for DLC? I'm guessing since there is no paid online, all games should function there as well correct?

I just saw a video a few days back talking about how easy region free was on the NS, so I'm just looking for a few details to get a wider picture.

The screenshots on the website had English text, so I’m good there.

Kinda hate the ugly rating logos other countries throw on their games though.

Yeah, I knew they where region free, but how does DLC work? The Vita is region free for patches & games, but the DLC & online codes are locked to the region of origin. Does the NS work the same way, or do the different region carts, just automatically take you to the shop of that region for DLC? I'm guessing since there is no paid online, all games should function there as well correct?

I just saw a video a few days back talking about how easy region free was on the NS, so I'm just looking for a few details to get a wider picture.
Not sure, I have some imported jp games but I don't think any of them have dlc

Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul is now available on Best Buy’s website. The retail price of this game’s physical version is only $19.99 so $15.99 with GCU pre-tax. The digital version is on PSN for $39.99 (when not on sale). So this is a no brainer for anyone interested in playing the game. It’s also worth mentioning the production numbers for this game are rumored to be extremely low, as multiple CAGs have reported finding only one or two copies at their local Best Buy-sometimes none. This physical version is also believed to be a Best Buy exclusive since it hasn’t been seen for sale anywhere else. Best Buy link below:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/paranormal-activity-the-lost-soul-playstation-4/6167719.p?skuId=6167719

Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul is now available on Best Buy’s website. The retail price of this game’s physical version is only $19.99 so $15.99 with GCU pre-tax. The digital version is on PSN for $39.99 (when not on sale). So this is a no brainer for anyone interested in playing the game. It’s also worth mentioning the production numbers for this game are rumored to be extremely low, as multiple CAGs have reported finding only one or two copies at their local Best Buy-sometimes none. This physical version is also believed to be a Best Buy exclusive since it hasn’t been seen for sale anywhere else. Best Buy link below:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/paranormal-activity-the-lost-soul-playstation-4/6167719.p?skuId=6167719
LOL. It was more like a few people desperately trying to turn the game into some kind of holy grail.

This is one thing about games I just don't get. How can there be such a discrepancy in prices? It's really difficult to go digital when you know you can get a physical copy of the same game for more than half off.. and if you find that you don't like the game...

Yonder was a Signature Games title, but I guess they don't have exclusive rights. FWIW, the Signature Games print has an EU rating on it.

Job Simulator is practically gone if you wanted a NEW copy, list is slowly getting smaller and smaller

Fordham Road - Bronx, NY 10458 - PreOwned
Allendale S/C - Pittsfield, MA 01201 - PreOwned
Ocean Township - Waretown, NJ 08758 - PreOwned
Ocean County Mall Bg - Toms River, NJ 08753 - PreOwned
Camden Town Center - Camden, DE 19934 - PreOwned
Fairless Hills - Fairless Hills, PA 19030 - PreOwned
SWM Greensport - Hudson, NY 12534 - PreOwned
Walden Galleria - BUFFALO, NY 14225 - PreOwned
Magnolia Mall - FLORENCE, SC 29501 - PreOwned
Carolina Mall - Concord, NC 28025 - PreOwned
Village @ Whitehall - Charlotte, NC 28273 - PreOwned
Oak Summit - Winston-Salem, NC 27105 - PreOwned
South Side Mall - South Williamson, KY 41503 - PreOwned
Lakeland Square S/C - Cadillac, MI 49601 - PreOwned
Baraboo WM - Baraboo, WI 53913 - NEW
Lakeside Shoppng Ctr - Metairie, LA 70002 - PreOwned
Belvedere Collection - Memphis, TN 38104 - PreOwned
O Fallon Walk - O Fallon, MO 63368 - NEW
Broadmore Plaza - Abbeville, LA 70510 - PreOwned
Atascocita - HUMBLE, TX 77346 - PreOwned
McAlester SWM - McAlester, OK 74501 - PreOwned
Northcross S/C - Victoria, TX 77904 - NEW
Craig Crossing - MCKINNEY, TX 75070 - PreOwned
Central Mall OK - Lawton, OK 73501 - PreOwned
SWM Black Hills - Rapid City, SD 57702 - PreOwned
Rock Springs R/C - Rock Springs, WY 82901 - PreOwned
Omak Center - Omak, WA 98841 - PreOwned

For those looking for Job Simulator I was able to find one at Meijer. They seem to have some of the older games so I thought I would give it a try and it was the last one left. Also it was $20.

It appears Stern Pinball got a physical Switch release last month as I saw it at Gamestop yesterday (price sticker was dated 12/8/17).  It may be a Gamestop exclusive or just poorly distributed as Amazon and Best Buy (and many other places actually) never listed it.

It appears Stern Pinball got a physical Switch release last month as I saw it at Gamestop yesterday (price sticker was dated 12/8/17). It may be a Gamestop exclusive or just poorly distributed as Amazon and Best Buy (and many other places actually) never listed it.
I took a look online right now when I got home, Taget seems to sell it online, TRU has a link but 404's.

Probably gonna grab the surfing game. Don't see those very often. I prefer my sports games a little more arcady, though. I'd like to see some more crazy shit, like surfing on a giant tsunami with great whites or even a megalodon secret boss.

I do greatly appreciate the ambiance that it offers, though. Surfing at night looks incredibly relaxing and the game just looks really pretty. I'm definitely looking forward to that. Just wish it offered more contrast on that to give the game a lot of healthy variety. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to relax and I wanna surf on lava while having to dodge fireballs.

Did they just make up those release dates to avoid giving out the discount?
I've noticed a disturbing trend on Amazon, especially with some Capcom games, where they say the game is "currently unavailable" and won't let you preorder it all the way up to the day it releases so if you are a Prime member you can't order it for the 20% off. But then once the game hits street date, it's suddenly in stock with no opportunity for the discount.

This happened recently with both the PS4 versions of Dead Rising 4 and Okami HD. And now I've noticed you can't pre-order The Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection either, it has the same "Currently Unavailable" listing, at least right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-30th-Anniversary-Collection-PlayStation/dp/B0787NN56T/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1515243500&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=street%2Bfighter%2B30th%2Banniversary%2Bcollection%2Bxb1&th=1

I've noticed a disturbing trend on Amazon, especially with some Capcom games, where they say the game is "currently unavailable" and won't let you preorder it all the way up to the day it releases so if you are a Prime member you can't order it for the 20% off. But then once the game hits street date, it's suddenly in stock with no opportunity for the discount.

This happened recently with both the PS4 versions of Dead Rising 4 and Okami HD. And now I've noticed you can't pre-order The Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection either, it has the same "Currently Unavailable" listing, at least right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-30th-Anniversary-Collection-PlayStation/dp/B0787NN56T/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1515243500&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=street%2Bfighter%2B30th%2Banniversary%2Bcollection%2Bxb1&th=1
I would just place the order as a preorder (WHEN available and even if it has no Prime discount) and if you do not receive the Prime discount when they ship it just contact them they will adjust the 20% I have done this in the past and they always honored it.

I have noticed the "currently unavailable" issues at Amazon, but I've never followed any one tile long enough to notice a trend in regards to it. Next month will be my 1 year anniversary with prime, so most of my experience is pretty much from this last year.

But I've been using Amazon since it started, and I've seen so many things come and go. Some come back before release, while others don't. Book prices will be low, then up to full retail, then down again. My wishlist is a who's who of insanity at that place. LOL

So yeah, I have noticed some things disappearing only to return after release, but I often saw that as trying not to oversell certain things. But for every title like that, I've seen stuff reappear before release as well along with up and down prices. So while they may be up to something in trying to keep members from a discount, I personally haven't seen any one thing consistent from them. So I wouldn't say that personally, but others could and may.

My prime subscription ends January 18th. I'm very happy it's over because they're pulling this dumb shit and overall, at this point, they don't give a fuck about their customers. I wouldn't mind, but it's $100 a year...

I would just place the order as a preorder (WHEN available and even if it has no Prime discount) and if you do not receive the Prime discount when they ship it just contact them they will adjust the 20% I have done this in the past and they always honored it.
Good idea, and I'm glad they are doing it, but I'm still a little bothered by the fact that it's unavailable for weeks on end and magically in stock again the day of release. Makes me feel like they are holding a significant supply of copies back to sell at full price.

But I've been using Amazon since it started, and I've seen so many things come and go. Some come back before release, while others don't. Book prices will be low, then up to full retail, then down again. My wishlist is a who's who of insanity at that place. LOL
I'm a "watcher" as well. I will put a crapload of stuff in my "saved for later" cart and just keep an eye on the fluctuation. Sometimes it's more fun than buying the items. I watched the Street Fighter 5 collector's edition price crash all the way down from 100 bucks to like 45, then jump all the way back up again, then slowly sink back down. I finally pulled the trigger when it hit 43 or something the second time. A day after I bought it, it shot back up again. I'd love to see Amazon's pricing algorithm system. Must be a total mess.

My prime subscription ends January 18th. I'm very happy it's over because they're pulling this dumb shit and overall, at this point, they don't give a fuck about their customers. I wouldn't mind, but it's $100 a year...
I only got prime last year as it made sense for business supplies, and still does. We also cut cable last year, so Prime Video seemed a good bonus as well. Actually, out of Netflix, Hulu and Prime, my son uses Prime the most, as there are tons of video game related shows he likes to watch. I honestly can't stand any of them, as it's just clowns playing games and commenting, but to each his own I suppose.

I only really grabbed a few gaming related items because Prime was already there, so the gaming discounts where just a bonus. I plan to renew, as it's great for business, and video but not so much on games. I guess BB is better, but I only ever grab a few preorders a year, and that's only for day one editions I think might be hard to get later(or a rare CE). Otherwise I just wait on sales, and try my luck then or used copies from GS or Ebay. So paying for BB club would be a waste for me as well, but it for sure seems the better of the two at this point.

From what Amazon was early on in regards to games, it has for sure gone down hill. And for $100 it's not hard to see why many wouldn't bother at this point, especially if games are your only reason for having it.

I think it's pretty clear that they are limiting the number of copies they will sell under the discount program for certain games to a set amount. My solution to this is just to preorder as soon as something goes live with the discount and if it turns out I don't want it, I just cancel before it ships. I preordered both DR4 and Okami HD using the prime discount and ended up buying both.

I think it's pretty clear that they are limiting the number of copies they will sell under the discount program for certain games to a set amount. My solution to this is just to preorder as soon as something goes live with the discount and if it turns out I don't want it, I just cancel before it ships. I preordered both DR4 and Okami HD using the prime discount and ended up buying both.
Or just get rid of prime

What they do doesn’t surprise me anymore, anyway to call them out on Social media? Their two day shipping estimate is laughable...

Long story short, I ordered a few things on Monday it was a holiday but gave me an estimate for a Friday delivery... wtf, right. Wednesday night rolls around and it still hasn’t shipped. I was going to order something else, so I cancel the rest and bring the total over $35 and get free same day shipping and have it delivered on Thursday?!?

What they do doesn’t surprise me anymore, anyway to call them out on Social media? Their two day shipping estimate is laughable...

Long story short, I ordered a few things on Monday it was a holiday but gave me an estimate for a Friday delivery... wtf, right. Wednesday night rolls around and it still hasn’t shipped. I was going to order something else, so I cancel the rest and bring the total over $35 and get free same day shipping and have it delivered on Thursday?!?
Yeah, that "2 day" shipping is all over the map, just like inventory, discounts, and packaging. If there's any rhyme or reason to any of the shit they do, I can't find it. I just go with the flow until shit goes wrong, then I complain, and see what they come up with.

Every time a game is even one day late from Amazon I'm on the phone and getting them to comp me. Usually they extend my Prime for a month or throw me a $10 coupon if I'm lucky.

Pick up the phone if it happens to you; they will comp you. I had four packages in December not get delivered in the promised two business day time frame and each time I was calling Amazon and getting comped for it.

Their 2 day shipping service has definitely gone downhill. But the short of it is, I still pay a lot for that 2 day shipping service so I expect them to deliver.

Every time a game is even one day late from Amazon I'm on the phone and getting them to comp me. Usually they extend my Prime for a month or throw me a $10 coupon if I'm lucky.

Pick up the phone if it happens to you; they will comp you. I had four packages in December not get delivered in the promised two business day time frame and each time I was calling Amazon and getting comped for it.

Their 2 day shipping service has definitely gone downhill. But the short of it is, I still pay a lot for that 2 day shipping service so I expect them to deliver.
I think a lot of this has to do with the same day or next day delivery, I'm sure it has taken priority over the the 2-day love child they once had.

Good luck with that. Every single time they comp you or extend prime, it goes onto your customer history and do it too many times and they will simply ban you and close your account.

Good luck with that. Every single time they comp you or extend prime, it goes onto your customer history and do it too many times and they will simply ban you and close your account.
Yeah, don't do this. I would consider that abuse, especially during December when it's far more common for packages to arrive late due to the holiday season. There's only so much Amazon has control over when it comes to shipping. I stick to complaining when I have a serious issue like I just had Friday with a package showing up as "delivered" on the tracking info but never arriving.

If you don't like Amazon prime's shipping speed, then don't sub to the service.

You can do it up to 12 times. The extension is actually part of Amazon policy and makes sense. If you're paying for Prime and not getting it, holiday season or not, you should be refunded.

Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery Fine Print

If your order qualifies for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery, your shipping costs can be refunded if we miss our promised delivery time.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery:

• Shipping method selected is shipping option advertised on a product detail page.
  • Order is shipping to Eligible Address.
  • Order is placed before deadline listed on product detail page.
  • Shipping preference "Ship my items as they become available" is selected if your order contains other items that aren't eligible for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery.
  • Your credit or debit card must be successfully charged before the deadline displayed on the product detail page.
  • An attempted delivery on or before the guaranteed delivery date meets our delivery guarantee.
  • An offer by the carrier of a delivery appointment on or before the guaranteed delivery date meets our delivery guarantee.
Note: If you received free shipping through Amazon Prime, you may be eligible for a free one-month extension when the promised delivery date isn't met. Prime Extensions are limited to one per free trial and 12 for an annual membership. Free Amazon Student Memberships do not qualify for this extension.

dont expect your stuff to come in 2 days during holiday season. 

Rather not have my account flagged than complain unless it is something serious

You can do it up to 12 times. The extension is actually part of Amazon policy and makes sense. If you're paying for Prime and not getting it, holiday season or not, you should be refunded.

Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery Fine Print

If your order qualifies for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery, your shipping costs can be refunded if we miss our promised delivery time.

The following requirements must be met to qualify for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery:

• Shipping method selected is shipping option advertised on a product detail page.
  • Order is shipping to Eligible Address.
  • Order is placed before deadline listed on product detail page.
  • Shipping preference "Ship my items as they become available" is selected if your order contains other items that aren't eligible for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery.
  • Your credit or debit card must be successfully charged before the deadline displayed on the product detail page.
  • An attempted delivery on or before the guaranteed delivery date meets our delivery guarantee.
  • An offer by the carrier of a delivery appointment on or before the guaranteed delivery date meets our delivery guarantee.
Note: If you received free shipping through Amazon Prime, you may be eligible for a free one-month extension when the promised delivery date isn't met. Prime Extensions are limited to one per free trial and 12 for an annual membership. Free Amazon Student Memberships do not qualify for this extension.
Doesn't work that way champ. Also, you have been receiving $10 credits according to you. They can close your account at their discretion whenever a customer like you costs them too much money.

You sound like a very difficult customer who feels entitled. We have Prime but we never demand concessions from Amazon when packages are occasionally late. That's just lame.

Doesn't work that way champ. Also, you have been receiving $10 credits according to you. They can close your account at their discretion whenever a customer like you costs them too much money.
I did that prime extension thing 8 times last year due to late packages. Then again, I do buy a ton from them, so maybe that's why I'm not banned.

They can still ban you even if you order a ton from them.

Remember happening to several users quite a few times in the old AWD thread 

PA is doing standard releases for Blue Rider and Ghost Blade HD

I bought blue rider when it was one of the first eastasia releases, I cannot in any good conscience recommend anybody here buys it. The game is one of the most poorly coded games on PS4. Input latency is insanely bad. You will not have a good time with it. I asked ea about it and they redirected me to the developer for assistance and washed their hands of it. Just buy that one cheap digital if you really want it, the game is just a turd

You sound like a very difficult customer who feels entitled. We have Prime but we never demand concessions from Amazon when packages are occasionally late. That's just lame.
Yeah, for me, it's a give and take relationship for sure. Although Prime is not cheap, I ship tons of packages each year myself, so I understand better than most how and why delays happen. I can't blame Amazon when it's more than clear USPS/FedX/UPS is at fault more often than not. I would say a good portion of my prime orders arrive late, but I only call them out on it when its a gift or something I really needed to be on time and it wasn't.

The same goes for damages, as 90% of my orders arrive with some defect, but contacting them about a box of band-aids arriving smashed is just being silly. I've honestly never considered being banned, although I have heard the warnings here weekly from others. As based on my overall purchases, I only contact them with issues for probably less than 1% of my orders. And even with those, it's even smaller than that, as I've only gotten stuff mostly from broken CS/Supervisor promises that didn't happen.

I did that prime extension thing 8 times last year due to late packages. Then again, I do buy a ton from them, so maybe that's why I'm not banned.
Your paying for a service, and if you don't feel it is being met on your end, you completely in your rights to contact them and state as much. If and when you may get banned, that is something you'll have to deal with as well. I honestly can't see a company promising "2 day" shipping, and then getting upset when it isn't delivered. If they don't want to hear from someone about it, don't promise it, PERIOD!

PA is doing standard releases for Blue Rider and Ghost Blade HD

I bought blue rider when it was one of the first eastasia releases, I cannot in any good conscience recommend anybody here buys it. The game is one of the most poorly coded games on PS4. Input latency is insanely bad. You will not have a good time with it. I asked ea about it and they redirected me to the developer for assistance and washed their hands of it. Just buy that one cheap digital if you really want it, the game is just a turd
I agree it's just not fun. Also not very fast paced as you have to constantly rotate the screen. The biggest problem is it being only 30fps. This should easily be 60.

I agree it's just not fun. Also not very fast paced as you have to constantly rotate the screen. The biggest problem is it being only 30fps. This should easily be 60.
yeah, the controls feel like mud to me, I don't know if it ever got patched, once I put it back in the box it was never to be taken out again

bread's done
Back