Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Bleed/Bleed 2 look pretty awesome.  Great value too considering you're getting two PS4 discs with manuals and a soundtrack for $40

Watched a guy play the first 20 minutes or so of Bleed on Youtube. Looks like it gets pretty intensely difficult, pretty fast. I like it, but I wonder if it's so hard that it'll lose my interest if I can't progress past the 2nd or 3rd level in reasonable time. As a little kid I used to play these games on the NES over and over again to the point of memorization and repetition, but I've grown somewhat lazy and nowadays I imagine I would just pop in a different title. 

I'm all for physical releases and cool LEs, but this game looks like hot garbage to me. Reminds me of those cheap flash games on Newgrounds from like 15 years ago. Easy pass for me.

I'm all for physical releases and cool LEs, but this game looks like hot garbage to me. Reminds me of those cheap flash games on Newgrounds from like 15 years ago. Easy pass for me.
Actually, to me, Bleed 2 looks like something that could have been played on GBA or SNES back in the day. Guess "flash games" picked good systems to model from.

Actually, to me, Bleed 2 looks like something that could have been played on GBA or SNES back in the day. Guess "flash games" picked good systems to model from.
Yea, this does not look like a flash game. You're dead on with the SNES & GBA. The game looks like a lot of fun to me and I'm glad it's getting a physical release. Reminds me a lot of Mega Man and Contra, though without quite the weapon variety.

Cars 3 (WiiU) is down to $29.99 ($23.99 GCU) at Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cars-3-driven-to-win-nintendo-wii-u/5834100.p?skuId=5834100

This may be as low as it gets considering its no longer directly available from Amazon and Gamestop is sold out.  Walmart may be a possibility though (didn't check them).

I believe it is the 2nd to last US retail release for the system.  Just Dance 2018 also had a WiiU release this past October (as well as a Wii release if you can believe that).

Lol prime is shit compared to GCU
Yeah, Amazon needs to start sending media back in those wraparound cardboard mailing boxes that offered a lot of protection. They used to send those all the time back in the early 2000's. My last order of two PS4 games from them actually came that way and I was surprised. I'm sure I will get oversized bubble mailers next time though.

Yeah, Amazon needs to start sending media back in those wraparound cardboard mailing boxes that offered a lot of protection. They used to send those all the time back in the early 2000's. My last order of two PS4 games from them actually came that way and I was surprised. I'm sure I will get oversized bubble mailers next time though.
Not gonna happen unfortunately. There was a news piece on a couple of the networks last week about how Amazon has switched as much as possible to bubble mailers because state and local governments were pressuring them to reduce impacts on landfills with all the extra cardboard they generate. Since bubble mailers are also cheaper, Amazon has been only too happy to agree.

Not gonna happen unfortunately. There was a news piece on a couple of the networks last week about how Amazon has switched as much as possible to bubble mailers because state and local governments were pressuring them to reduce impacts on landfills with all the extra cardboard they generate. Since bubble mailers are also cheaper, Amazon has been only too happy to agree.
That's the exact opposite of environmentally friendly though. Replacing biodegradable cardboard with plastic bubble mailers creates more waste that will never go away.

Damn, well that sucks. I actually reuse all my boxes from most places, plus they can be recycled(cardboard). Those bubble mailers are lined with the bubble wrap, which my local trash/recycling doesn't even allow. So technically, the boxes are better for the environment depending on trash pick up in your area I suppose. Sadly, the bubble mailers are for sure cheaper, so I'm sure that's overriding any actual common sense from Amazon, or the government.

EDIT: LOL, beat me to it.

Perhaps landfills wouldn't be full of recyclable boxes if more people engaged in recycling/reusing shipping boxes.. I often re-use mine either for storage purposes, shipping things out or just give away/recycle them. I'm guessing most people are either too lazy or think recycling and being as environmentally responsible as possible is a liberal hippy plot.

Perhaps landfills wouldn't be full of recyclable boxes if more people engaged in recycling/reusing shipping boxes.. I often re-use mine either for storage purposes, shipping things out or just give away/recycle them. I'm guessing most people are either too lazy or think recycling and being as environmentally responsible as possible is a liberal hippy plot.
I'd love to recycle more, but it's really difficult to where I live (Missouri). I'd have to drive 30 minutes each way to drop them off at a recycling plant that's open for a total of 24 hours a week (9-6 Th/F, 9-4 Sat). Our trash service doesn't offer a separate recycling receptacle, either.

What really irks me is that just across state lines there are large, public collection crates in public places (i.e. grocery store parking lots).

The other detail that complicates this is that most recycled cardboard boxes are shipped to Asia for processing and China in particular is starting to close off its recycling capability to the US and other nations. So, US landfills are essentially stuck with cardboard boxes and there just isn't enough capability in the US right now (at least not at a price that makes economic sense) to process everything.

Wow... that would make sense. I ordered light bulbs and they came in bubble mailers. I just can't believe any government would force them to use bubble mailers over boxes since I figure paper is much easier/more recyclable than plastic.

I'd love to recycle more, but it's really difficult to where I live (Missouri). I'd have to drive 30 minutes each way to drop them off at a recycling plant that's open for a total of 24 hours a week (9-6 Th/F, 9-4 Sat). Our trash service doesn't offer a separate recycling receptacle, either.

What really irks me is that just across state lines there are large, public collection crates in public places (i.e. grocery store parking lots).
Some states/counties offer recycling services but only if you pay for them. So there isn't exactly much incentive there for the uninitiated to start doing it. Especially with lower income folks who can barely pay their bills as it is. So everything ends up in the trash can. I'm not sure how it is with larger apartment complexes in those areas, but if they are getting charged for a recycle dumpster then they are going to pass on that fee to the consumer inevitably. I first learned about this when I visited relatives in a suburb outside Atlanta, Georgia. They were trashing everything and refusing to pay the fee for the recycle can.

From what I read, SNK Heroines on PS4 is only going physical as part of the Nisa CE, digital only regularly

I just can't believe any government would force them to use bubble mailers over boxes since I figure paper is much easier/more recyclable than plastic.
Any government, I would agree. The US government, not surprised one bit.

I'm in Vegas, and our recycling is part of the trash pick up service, so they provide cans/bins, etc. If the government wants to do something worth wild, this would be it. Sadly, if there's no way to scam the American people out of more funds, it's not a high priority I'm sure.

From what I read, SNK Heroines on PS4 is only going physical as part of the Nisa CE, digital only regularly
Do you know if the Switch version is going to get a standard physical release? As long as one of them gets a standard physical release I won't have to lay a stupid amount of money down on that overpriced CE.

Do you know if the Switch version is going to get a standard physical release? As long as one of them gets a standard physical release I won't have to lay a stupid amount of money down on that overpriced CE.
It should:

NIS America and SNK have announced SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy for Switch and PlayStation 4. It will launch this summer. The Switch version will be available both physically and digitally. The PlayStation 4 will be available digitally, with the physical version only available via a limited edition.
https://gematsu.com/2018/01/snk-heroines-tag-team-frenzy-announced-switch-ps4

Lol prime is shit compared to GCU
“Lol” uhhhh not in my opinion. Best Buy has gotten much worse.

I don’t know if it’s because my membership is declining since I’m not spending as much as I used to, but the shipping is absolute dogshit. And Pre-orders aren’t arriving on release day like they’re supposed to. Wolfenstein and Mario both arrived days late. It took a week and a half for an order of like 10 movies to arrive. That is unacceptable. I decided I’ve had enough with their shipping practices. Why deal with them when I can get basically the same discount and get two day shipping guaranteed delivery? Sounds like a win-win to me. The only time Best Buy wins is when they offer their Pre-order bonuses, points, and certificates.

At least I know I’ll receive things when I’m supposed to. Not the case with Best Buy.

Please explain to me how Best Buy is better.

“Lol” uhhhh not in my opinion. Best Buy has gotten much worse.

I don’t know if it’s because my membership is declining since I’m not spending as much as I used to, but the shipping is absolute dogshit. And Pre-orders aren’t arriving on release day like they’re supposed to. Wolfenstein and Mario both arrived days late. It took a week and a half for an order of like 10 movies to arrive. That is unacceptable. I decided I’ve had enough with their shipping practices. Why deal with them when I can get basically the same discount and get two day shipping guaranteed delivery? Sounds like a win-win to me. The only time Best Buy wins is when they offer their Pre-order bonuses, points, and certificates.

At least I know I’ll receive things when I’m supposed to. Not the case with Best Buy.

Please explain to me how Best Buy is better.
If you are only buying games, gcu is better. Amazon ditched ce discounts and amiibo etc, discount only good for preorder not always, etc etc, and frankly Amazon is probably gonna cut the discounts soon, they already have in other regions

If you are only buying games, gcu is better. Amazon ditched ce discounts and amiibo etc, discount only good for preorder not always, etc etc, and frankly Amazon is probably gonna cut the discounts soon, they already have in other regions
I’m not just buying video games. I also buy movies, but since I’ve gotten Prime, I’ve been using that since the shipping is faster and the prices are usually cheaper too. I rarely buy collector’s editions and thankfully I have no interest in amiibo.

I’m only paying $10 a month for Amazon Prime, so if they cut the discount I guess I’ll have to reconsider re-upping my GCU (I believe it expires next month), but I still won’t be happy with the crap shipping.

You can do your shopping in the comfort of your own home, at your fingertips while lounging on your couch.  You also get 20% off new games while doing so if you're part of either member program.  These purchases arrive directly to your doorstep free of charge without you having to do a thing and yet people still gripe.  We now have import services galore from a wide variety of foreign international retailers and most home console equipment is region-free.  My how the world has changed.  People have changed too.  They don't realize how good they have it.   Try to be more thankful for what you have. 

You can do your shopping in the comfort of your own home, at your fingertips while lounging on your couch. You also get 20% off new games while doing so if you're part of either member program. These purchases arrive directly to your doorstep free of charge without you having to do a thing and yet people still gripe. We now have import services galore from a wide variety of foreign international retailers and most home console equipment is region-free. My how the world has changed. People have changed too. They don't realize how good they have it. Try to be more thankful for what you have.
[attachment=29251:C8658B86-2551-46D5-87C0-B65169AEDC6F.gif]

Take it easy, Hoss. I’m not being ungrateful; I’m just giving my reasoning for why I prefer one company over the other after my original comment was criticized. If you can’t deliver on time as promised, that’s a deal-breaker to me. Simple as that.

Does the NIS store charge right away?
Nope, about 2 weeks before release, they will send you a notice to get your ducks in a row. As they charge about 5 days before launch. That's with a credit card of course, as Paypal is normally at the time an order is placed.

Lol at talking about amazon being on time and best buy not. I haven't had an amazon order show up on the scheduled date in months.
I can’t speak for other people’s experiences; only mine.

For me, that’s how Best Buy has been. I actually can’t recall the last thing that has arrived on time.

I can’t speak for other people’s experiences; only mine.

For me, that’s how Best Buy has been. I actually can’t recall the last thing that has arrived on time.
You are paying $120 a year for Amazon and aren't paying anything for Best Buy shipping. Unless you are elite plus I don't know why you would think you would get 2 day delivery?. It's okay if you aren't happy but trying to draw a parallel between a service you pay for and one you don't...just doesn't hold water. If you want guaranteed release date then do in store pickup? I don't know what you are expecting otherwise. Amazon has been getting bad about taking pre-orders for games and movies then not having sufficient stock to fill those orders. Every service has it's issues.

You’re still not understanding, but forget it. I don’t even want to argue.

Looks like

:ps4: Cat Quest

:ps4: Giana Sisters: Director's Cut

:ps4: N.E.R.O

are OOP now.
I have Giana on the Wii U and really have no interest in the other two, luckily. I saw some guy trying to push a copy of NERO on Facebook the other day for some ridiculous price, but no one was biting.

Strictly Limited sent out an update saying they had a production issue with the numbered stickers for Gryphon Knight Epic affecting less than 4% of copies.  They will be boxing up and shipping out the games next week.  I appreciate that they took the time to write up an update and didn't leave everyone hanging.  As long as I receive my game I will continue to be a customer.  I understand issues happen and am just glad they took the time to contact everyone.  So far their customer service seems promising.  

Strictly Limited sent out an update saying they had a production issue with the numbered stickers for Gryphon Knight Epic affecting less than 4% of copies. They will be boxing up and shipping out the games next week. I appreciate that they took the time to write up an update and didn't leave everyone hanging. As long as I receive my game I will continue to be a customer. I understand issues happen and am just glad they took the time to contact everyone. So far their customer service seems promising.
That's good to hear, as I'm looking forward to their future Vita release(if and when any happen). So long as I'm not a seeing any complaints along the Special Reserve lines, I should be good. LOL

Switch is the ONLY standard release for this title from what I have read.

Umm, I was wandering through Walmart the other day and noticed Joe's Diner for the PS4. I just Googled it up because I've never heard of it. All the ESRB copies I can see for sale online are coming from Canadian sources. Is it available in America? It seems a little odd that some game would be Canadian bargain bin exclusive.

Everyone is urging me to get wuppo and I want it really bad but every store around me has it still... I'm playing a dangerous game and waiting haha.

bread's done
Back