Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, I was wandering through Walmart the other day and noticed Joe's Diner for the PS4. I just Googled it up because I've never heard of it. All the ESRB copies I can see for sale online are coming from Canadian sources. Is it available in America? It seems a little odd that some game would be Canadian bargain bin exclusive.
UIG is in the process of releasing a number of their games including Joe's Diner, Pineview Drive, Professional Construction Simulator, Professional Farmer 2017 Gold, Professional Farmer American Dream and others in both the US and Canada. I have been in contact with them and they are having trouble getting the games to US retailers and US Amazon. At present they are in Walmart Canada, EBGames Canada, Amazon Canada and a few of the games have just hit Amazon US and Walmart stores in the US. I will tell you that there is no difference between the US and Canadian versions as I bought American Dream from Amazon US and Professional Farmer 2017 Gold at Walmart US and they have bi-lingual French and English ESRB ratings and basically the European back of the game with German, French, English, etc...text and even a British flag next to the English text.

Umm, I was wandering through Walmart the other day and noticed Joe's Diner for the PS4. I just Googled it up because I've never heard of it. All the ESRB copies I can see for sale online are coming from Canadian sources. Is it available in America? It seems a little odd that some game would be Canadian bargain bin exclusive.
Joe's Diner is easily the worst game I've played so far on the PS4. It totally belongs in the bargain bin wherever it is found.

Joe's Diner is easily the worst game I've played so far on the PS4. It totally belongs in the bargain bin wherever it is found.
Yeah. It'll do well enough in a bargain bin though. The back of the box makes it look like it might be an interesting spooky game. If not for my hesitation to buy totally unknown games I would've bought it on the spot.

UIG is in the process of releasing a number of their games including Joe's Diner, Pineview Drive, Professional Construction Simulator, Professional Farmer 2017 Gold, Professional Farmer American Dream and others in both the US and Canada. I have been in contact with them and they are having trouble getting the games to US retailers and US Amazon. At present they are in Walmart Canada, EBGames Canada, Amazon Canada and a few of the games have just hit Amazon US and Walmart stores in the US. I will tell you that there is no difference between the US and Canadian versions as I bought American Dream from Amazon US and Professional Farmer 2017 Gold at Walmart US and they have bi-lingual French and English ESRB ratings and basically the European back of the game with German, French, English, etc...text and even a British flag next to the English text.
That's good to know, thanks.

There is so much limited stuff being released now I seriously need to do some quality control.  I already decided I don't need any of the farming sims and most sports games.  Joe's Diner actually looks like it has a neat premise, but the reviews have been horrible so I am currently undecided.

There is so much limited stuff being released now I seriously need to do some quality control. I already decided I don't need any of the farming sims and most sports games. Joe's Diner actually looks like it has a neat premise, but the reviews have been horrible so I am currently undecided.
I buy all the ps4 PA limited editions and I pick and choose the LRG ones. They've been releasing too much stuff I couldn't care less about lately. That's pretty much it

Haven't run it in awhile, checked for copies of job simulator in store at gamestops:

Farmingdale Plaza - New Britain, CT 06053 - PreOwned
Price Chopper S/C - Waterbury, CT 06705 - PreOwned
Hillside S/C - Hillside, NJ 07205 - PreOwned
Viewmont Mall - SCRANTON, PA 18508 - NEW
SWM @ Rome - Rome, NY 13440 - PreOwned
Gateway Plz NC - JACKSONVILLE, NC 28546 - PreOwned
Shoppes at Overyork - Yorktown, VA 23693 - PreOwned
Aberdeen Marketplace - Aberdeen, MD 21001 - PreOwned
Kettering Plaza - Kettering, MD 20774 - PreOwned
Stafford Marketplace - Stafford, VA 22556 - PreOwned
Monkey Junction - Wilmington, NC 28412 - PreOwned
Oglethorpe Mall - Savannah, GA 31406 - PreOwned
Friendly Shopping Cr - GREENSBORO, NC 27408 - PreOwned
Wal Mart Outparcel - Boiling Springs, SC 29316 - PreOwned
Village Sq SC - Middlesboro, KY 40965 - PreOwned
Columbus Park GS - Columbus, GA 31909 - PreOwned
The Prado - ATLANTA, GA 30342 - PreOwned
Clock Tower Plaza - LIMA, OH 45805 - PreOwned
Bradley Commons - BOURBONNAIS, IL 60914 - PreOwned
White Oaks Plaza - Springfield, IL 62704 - PreOwned
WalMart Plz IA - West Burlington, IA 52655 - PreOwned
Battlefield Mall - Springfield, MO 65804 - PreOwned
Atascocita - HUMBLE, TX 77346 - NEW
Mill Creek Plaza - Fort Smith, AR 72901 - PreOwned
Belton Marketplace - Belton, MO 64012 - PreOwned
Terrell Corner - Terrell, TX 75160 - NEW
Craig Crossing - MCKINNEY, TX 75070 - PreOwned
Ben White Payload SC - Austin, TX 78704 - PreOwned
Albuquerque S/C - Albuquerque, NM 87110 - PreOwned
Rock Springs R/C - Rock Springs, WY 82901 - PreOwned
The Groves - Tempe, AZ 85284 - NEW
SWM Shops @ Mountain - Mountain Home, ID 83647 - PreOwned
Bristol & Segerstom - Santa Ana, CA 92704 - PreOwned
Crossroads @ Santa-F - Santa Maria, CA 93455 - PreOwned
North Valley Plaza - Chico, CA 95926 - PreOwned
Sunset Square - Bellingham, WA 98226 - PreOwned

There is so much limited stuff being released now I seriously need to do some quality control. I already decided I don't need any of the farming sims and most sports games. Joe's Diner actually looks like it has a neat premise, but the reviews have been horrible so I am currently undecided.
I went back and forth for a couple days on the Bleed double pack before eventually deciding to pass. I passed on What Remains of Edith Finch also. I haven't decided on Gang Beasts but I'll probably let that go as well. And I've cut my number of LRG purchases down pretty drastically. A year ago I might have purchased these "limited" type games on impulse, but there are so many coming from so many different publishers now that it isn't fiscally responsible. I try to watch more gameplay vids now and try to imagine how much I'd really play the game, in addition to the quality control you mentioned. I may regret missing some certain game later on, but my backlog is already too large to be too bothered by it.

I love these limited release of games, but the resellers really screw over fans.....

looks like chrisz300zx is one of the worst offenders, Limited Run Games doesn't see to care or want to protect their fans..... but he's screwing people and abusing PLAY ASIA policy with bleed. he's reselling FIVE copies ! I reported him to PLAY ASIA, I'd suggest you help as well.... let's keep the games to the fans, and

not the resellers who try to screw us over !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bleed-Bleed-2-Limited-Edition-PS4-Sony-Playstation-4-Soundtrack-Region-Free/192258265254?hash=item2cc37c50a6:g:HNgAAOSw-JJaVDtA

I love these limited release of games, but the resellers really screw over fans.....

looks like chrisz300zx is one of the worst offenders, Limited Run Games doesn't see to care or want to protect their fans..... but he's screwing people and abusing PLAY ASIA policy with bleed. he's reselling FIVE copies ! I reported him to PLAY ASIA, I'd suggest you help as well.... let's keep the games to the fans, and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bleed-Bleed-2-Limited-Edition-PS4-Sony-Playstation-4-Soundtrack-Region-Free/192258265254?hash=item2cc37c50a6:g:HNgAAOSw-JJaVDtA
The game is still in-stock at Play-asia. This is not even remotely close to a problem for anyone.

Get some control over your life.

looks like chrisz300zx is one of the worst offenders, Limited Run Games doesn't see to care or want to protect their fans..... but he's screwing people and abusing PLAY ASIA policy with bleed. he's reselling FIVE copies ! I reported him to PLAY ASIA, I'd suggest you help as well.... let's keep the games to the fans, and

Play-asia can't do a thing if he's using 5 friends/family to buy copies. Even without friends/family you can easily double purchase limits just buy using separate payment sources and shipping to your work.

Guess I waited too long for Cat Quest. Heard it got a reprint so I wasn't in a rush and now it's back out of stock on Amazon again.
Play-Asia just got their second batch in a couple days ago, and it is still in stock. They want $25 tho.

https://www.play-asia.com/cat-quest/13/70biix

My order from December with them didn't get fulfilled until this batch. Thought I was going to miss out on it.

Edit - As mentioned above, codes like MYPSVITA will chop off 3 bucks.

Does anyone have any predictions or feedback on how limited Lost Sphear will be for the Switch? I would really like a physical copy. However, SquateEnix's shipping is ridiculously high and they seem to overproduce a lot of their games.

I am debating whether I pull the trigger at a rather high price or hold out for a holiday sale and see if it gets a discount. What do you think?

Does anyone have any predictions or feedback on how limited Lost Sphear will be for the Switch? I would really like a physical copy. However, SquateEnix's shipping is ridiculously high and they seem to overproduce a lot of their games.
I am debating whether I pull the trigger at a rather high price or hold out for a holiday sale and see if it gets a discount. What do you think?
I'd like to know this as well. Also if the game is any good.

Anyone who was waiting on world to the west I just got it at gamestop last night for $10 with power up pro. He said new was converted to used but yall know how new works there. Just saying.

I put in about 30 minutes play last night and it looks cute and fun. I don't understand the trophies even for a second but I'm hopeful it's just a matter of fully playing through the game.

Just got my Edith Finch in the mail. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be mad at iam8bit for it being shrinkwrapped.  :nottalking: 

The game itself came wrapped in cardboard but was in bubble mailer.
Well, hopefully that does the trick. Creases and indents to cover art are such a ridiculously rampant problem with PS4 games, after all. That's primarily what has made all of the limited releases we now see so annoying to anyone that cares about having truly mint items. These issues are common even in new games, all but guaranteed with anything shipped in a bubble mailer, and much more likely on the second hand market, even when still sealed, due to rough/careless handling.

Just got my Edith Finch in the mail. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be mad at iam8bit for it being shrinkwrapped. :nottalking:
I saw that it was shrinkwrapped at PAX South, but I thought that was just a couple of copies that they resealed or something.

Shame.

Just got my Edith Finch in the mail. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be mad at iam8bit for it being shrinkwrapped. :nottalking:
Also got my copy. Not sure iam8bit has control over what type of shrinkwrap Sony uses for each game they print. Even LRG has had that problem with at least one of their titles (Firewatch, I think). Anyway, major kudos to them for shipping it in a cardboard mailer inside a bubble mailer for maximum protection.

Darkest-Dungeon-Retail_01-24-18.jpg

29.99. Has both Expansions. Comes out in March

Sweet!  Darkest Dungeon in physical format. :drool: Been waiting for this one for awhile.  

I'll buy this day one, hopefully with GCU. 

I've been really wanting to check out Darkest Dungeon, but held out for a physical copy.  Day one for me :p  Now to decide which version to get...

Unlike most PS4 games, it isn't Y Fold wrapped. It's that poor quality shrinkwrap. It's similar to what happened to many copies of Firewatch from LRG.
Ohhhhhhh; okay now that makes sense. I remember now.

This is reminds me : my copy of Firewatch is still sealed, and I can’t remember for the life of me which wrap version I have.

Special Reserve Games will release Broforce and Enter the Gungeon {PC/PS4}

https://specialreservegames.com/back-onlinewith-treats-to-announce/

To celebrate, we’re announcing a SALE on Absolver, Shadow Warrior 2, and STRAFE® starting Thursday January 25th at 12 PM PST! The Absolver Standalone Mask, PS4 Disc, PS4 Bundle and PC Bundle are all discounted for 2 weeks to thank you for all your support (offer ends February 8th, 2018). There’s not much left of Shadow Warrior 2 PC (just over 100!) and the awesome STRAFE® PC Collector’s Box is almost completely sold out, but now’s your chance to snatch up what’s left, at a screaming discount before they’re gone!
After all, we need to clear room in the warehouse for some really big stuff…

You can’t fight freedom, so we’re not even going to try… we’re teaming up with Free Lives for a BROFORCE Special Reserve as our next release! As you can imagine, we’ve had an absolute blast coming up with the collectibles to go with this PS4 and PC release of one of our longstanding favorite games. We won’t be announcing an exact date or revealing the goodies yet as the disc and product manufacturing timelines have so many variables that can change at this stage of production, but we definitely plan to reveal more soon and get this patriotic package ready for your hot little hands before the spring springs. (No, we truly can’t say any more yet, but here is the Broforce bald eagle screech to tide you over.)

And that’s not all…let’s talk guns. Now, Broforce has guns. Lots and lots of guns. But you want even more guns than that, you say? You need a whole book full of guns…like, a virtual Ammonomicon? IT’S YOUR LUCKY YEAR. That’s right! We are giant fans of ENTER THE GUNGEON , and we’ve been hard at work with creators Dodge Roll cooking up a deeply cool, deeply collectible Reserve worthy of this million-selling bullet-hell dungeon crawler. Once again, to avoid breaking any expectations of timing or what’s in these Reserves for PC and PS4, this is the only thing we can say for now, except that finally sinking our teeth into these two great titles and moving production forward has us jumping out of bed in the morning like Sarge when the mailman comes; it’s a huge honor to be working with these two awesome indie studios to create these releases for our fans.

Honestly wish that SRG would just stop releasing games. All three releases have resulted in a shitty experience for me. I do not like anything about that company. 

I am personally all for more competition.
I agree that competition is a good thing. It's just dealing with a company that has somehow managed to shit the bed on every release and in every support situation--in my experiences, at least--is not something to be excited about. I also think that there are starting to be too many limited release publishers--surely due to LRG's success--so I would gladly see what is by far the worst one--again, in my opinion--drop out of the race.

I agree that competition is a good thing. It's just dealing with a company that has somehow managed to shit the bed on every release and in every support situation--in my experiences, at least--is not something to be excited about. I also think that there are starting to be too many limited release publishers--surely due to LRG's success--so I would gladly see what is by the worst one--again, in my opinion--drop out of the race.
I agree with this. I have also had issues with every single release from only half of the Big Wang edition shipping (they just sent me the PC version and none of the other items) to my PS4 copies of Absolver and Strafe not going out due to "database issues". Customer service has been horrible with a lack of response for weeks until I posted repeatedly on Facebook and Twitter. I really wish they would just contract out their fulfillment and customer service functions to LRG because while LRG is not perfect, at least they handle problems and deliver what is promised. On a side note, I also find their constant dog references a real turn off. I love dogs, but I don't need my Twitter filled with their repeated requests for people to tweet back with dog photos.

I agree that competition is a good thing. It's just dealing with a company that has somehow managed to shit the bed on every release and in every support situation--in my experiences, at least--is not something to be excited about. I also think that there are starting to be too many limited release publishers--surely due to LRG's success--so I would gladly see what is by far the worst one--again, in my opinion--drop out of the race.
Shake out will take a little while but the market will correct itself eventually. Until then it's going to be kind of a pain.

BroForce and Enter the Gungeon will also get a cover variant from LRG as usual from their SRG partnership
Sweet. I will buy the LRG variants in that case. Easy peasy.

Two great games. These are the types of releases I'm asking for all the time over in the LRG thread.

Those are both definitely indie darlings. I'm glad to see them getting a physical release. Doesn't Broforce have a DLC expansion? If so, it would be great to see that on the disc. Especially given that it will probably be $25, and that game's digital value is far, far less than that currently.

I’ve noticed since I bought a Switch, I really only care about collecting physical releases for that now. I mean; I just received my copy of Edith Finch for PS4 but that is one I’ve been waiting for and hadn’t purchased before. Now; I’ll only buy PS4 or Xbox physical for really special games, along with the big title releases of course. I’m finding myself going for Switch for a lot of Indie games that are on all three consoles as well. I don’t know; just something about those cute little Switch cases, I suppose.

I’m weird.

So apparently the physical Switch version of Lost Sphear is already sold out on the Square Enix website.  Don't really have anyone to blame but myself as I kept putting off ordering it, even a week ago.  PS4 version is still in stock but I may just wait to see if that goes on sale as I really wanted the Switch version.

So apparently the physical Switch version of Lost Sphear is already sold out on the Square Enix website. Don't really have anyone to blame but myself as I kept putting off ordering it, even a week ago. PS4 version is still in stock but I may just wait to see if that goes on sale as I really wanted the Switch version.
I did the exact same thing. Almost pulled the trigger this afternoon on Lost Spheres for Switch after watching some reviews but for some reason I spaced it out. I am on their waitlist now.

I was on the fence for Lost Sphear this whole time, as I figured it would sell out at some point. And being an exclusive also meant prices could get kind of silly rather quickly. After seeing some of the opinions on the game, I just opted to pass on this. The NS market is already starting to get rather busy in regards to physical releases, so I'm better off just going for those games I actually want vs. games for a collection.

bread's done
Back