Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a list of GameStop exclusives anywhere?
There might be, but for now you can try what I do. I just search "only at" on GS.com and it seems to come up with all the gamestop exclusives. There are a ton of random junk items, so I just sort it by console. 99% of the ones that come up with the word "Edition" in the game title are not truly exclusive to GS, just that version. The only exception to that I can think of is The Sexy Brutal: Full House Edition. Hope that helps for now :)

Another Gamestop exclusive - Wuppo - is now on sale for $14.99.  It also comes with a soundtrack CD.

Ha came to post about Wuppo. I think it had a pretty small run! I got the one and only copy. Obviously opened...it does have an insert (warning thing) and a little piece of paper showing how to play. It's just one small piece smaller than a post card with like a few vague things on it, but worth noting if you're worried about a complete copy. 

Ha came to post about Wuppo. I think it had a pretty small run! I got the one and only copy. Obviously opened...it does have an insert (warning thing) and a little piece of paper showing how to play. It's just one small piece smaller than a post card with like a few vague things on it, but worth noting if you're worried about a complete copy.
Yeah, I also got a gutted copy. I think every Gamestop may have only gotten in one copy to sell so the print run is likely equal to the total number of Gamestop stores, plus another couple thousand to sell on the website.

Darn, the used copy I asked my local Gamestop to transfer from a different store had the soundtrack CD but no inserts. I guess I'll have to learn the game as I go.

In other news...

https://gematsu.com/2018/02/owlboy-ps4-switch-physical-edition-launches-may-29

Soedesco will release a physical version of Owlboy for PlayStation 4 and Switch on May 29 in North America and Europe, the company announced.
Count me in for a PS4 copy.

Another Gamestop exclusive - Wuppo - is now on sale for $14.99. It also comes with a soundtrack CD.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if any of these GS exclusives that bombed will ever be worth anything (deformers is another one that comes to mind). They may be super rare, but if no one wants them it won't matter.

Soedesco will be releasing the physical version of Owlboy for Switch on May 29th. Apparently, the physical PS4 version is out the same day.

https://youtu.be/s6wX6H88Cxs

I wonder if Soedesco will charge a $10 Switch tax like some companies do.  This is their first physical Switch release I believe.  Hopefully they are like Nicalis and NISA and charge the same price for PS4 and Switch physical copies.

So, guys, I'm finally finding myself some time to being working on cataloging "obscure" physical releases, again.

So far, this is the format I'm using:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEbJ-NVAR9uFdD4qvTR7QRflVKFP2y7rT_xNXgyukyc/edit?usp=sharing

Before I start devoting hours to this, I'd like some feedback. Is there any data missing that I should add? Any suggestions to make things more organized? Any ideas, at all? I'd very much like to hear them as this is going to be a major time sink.

I was wondering if I should catalogue the regional releases in a similar fashion as I've done the platforms, or if having those details under each title's notes is better. Basically what would happen is, instead of how it looks now, there would be four more columns for each region code and corresponding x's and check marks to denote which regions have English releases. Any details, such as if it's a limited release and how small the print is would be detailed in the notes for each checked box, instead of on the notes of the "Title" cell, as they are now.

The only GS exclusives that come to mind right off the bat for me are Killing Floor, Song of The Deep, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, since those are the ones I bought. Of course Deformers also but since it requires online connectivity and they've already shut down the servers the game is useless, most copies were destroyed by GS, and what's remaining is now being scalped on ebay for stupid prices to poor saps who still feel like they need to have it because they are going for a full set.   

So, guys, I'm finally finding myself some time to being working on cataloging "obscure" physical releases, again.

So far, this is the format I'm using:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sEbJ-NVAR9uFdD4qvTR7QRflVKFP2y7rT_xNXgyukyc/edit?usp=sharing

Before I start devoting hours to this, I'd like some feedback. Is there any data missing that I should add? Any suggestions to make things more organized? Any ideas, at all? I'd very much like to hear them as this is going to be a major time sink.

I was wondering if I should catalogue the regional releases in a similar fashion as I've done the platforms, or if having those details under each title's notes is better. Basically what would happen is, instead of how it looks now, there would be four more columns for each region code and corresponding x's and check marks to denote which regions have English releases. Any details, such as if it's a limited release and how small the print is would be detailed in the notes for each checked box, instead of on the notes of the "Title" cell, as they are now.
I know it's probably more work, but I'm in favor of having a separate sheet, column, or maybe some kind of cell color coding to help designate PAL or Japanese only releases. The tabs are cool, but it's a bit more intensive to hover over each game to see the notes like that.

I figure the majority of CAG members here are Americans and own region 1 hardware. With a system like the PS4 having no region lock (I'm not sure about Xbox??) it's fun to explore the games that were released physically over there but not here. In most cases they are still obscure titles or from small studios, like Slain: Back From Hell. Should there be a dedicated "PAL" sheet? I guess that's what I'm asking.

I know it's probably more work, but I'm in favor of having a separate sheet, column, or maybe some kind of cell color coding to help designate PAL or Japanese only releases. The tabs are cool, but it's a bit more intensive to hover over each game to see the notes like that.

I figure the majority of CAG members here are Americans and own region 1 hardware. With a system like the PS4 having no region lock (I'm not sure about Xbox??) it's fun to explore the games that were released physically over there but not here. In most cases they are still obscure titles or from small studios, like Slain: Back From Hell. Should there be a dedicated "PAL" sheet? I guess that's what I'm asking.
Noted. The Xbox One is also region free. One of the prerequisites for being on this ls that titles must be region-free or NTSC-U (America). The regional information in the sheet is more for detailing each version of the game, potential differences and where you can get them as opposed to whether or not it will run on your console... because as long as you're using region 1 hardware, they all should, regardless.

Creating separate sheets for European or Asian exclusive releases is a good idea. I'll definitely consider that possibility as, hopefully, a few more CAGs weigh in with their thoughts.

The only GS exclusives that come to mind right off the bat for me are Killing Floor, Song of The Deep, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, since those are the ones I bought. Of course Deformers also but since it requires online connectivity and they've already shut down the servers the game is useless, most copies were destroyed by GS, and what's remaining is now being scalped on ebay for stupid prices to poor saps who still feel like they need to have it because they are going for a full set.
Tales of hearts r vita was gs exclusive.

Unbox newbies adventure is another. Duke Nukem 3d. Sexy brutale. Cities skylines.

Tales of hearts r vita was gs exclusive.

Unbox newbies adventure is another. Duke Nukem 3d. Sexy brutale. Cities skylines.
Some Gamestop exclusives lose their exclusivity after a while. Unboxed (PS4 version) was one but has been spotted at Walmart, and Amazon also had it for sale recently. Yonder (PS4) was also one but has since shown up at Amazon. Top Gear (Switch) has also showed up on Amazon (and not just from third parties, shipped from and sold by Amazon).

Noted. The Xbox One is also region free. One of the prerequisites for being on this ls that titles must be region-free or NTSC-U (America). The regional information in the sheet is more for detailing each version of the game, potential differences and where you can get them as opposed to whether or not it will run on your console... because as long as you're using region 1 hardware, they all should, regardless.

Creating separate sheets for European or Asian exclusive releases is a good idea. I'll definitely consider that possibility as, hopefully, a few more CAGs weigh in with their thoughts.
Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with the XB1 information like I should even though I own one.

I might be able to help at least start on a PAL or "foreign" games only physical list by copying and pasting what you already did and just listing all of the foreign exclusive games that I can think of. I've purchased a few, so I have a bit of an idea of what's already floating around.

Would anyone be interested in having an updated spreadsheet of GameStop stock for the smaller titles like that one guy used to have, would be easy to put together

Cool idea, but I don't recall the PS version being very good.
I'm also not following who they licensed this from. There is nothing in the budget pie chart about rights fees and the comments seem to indicate that they are just working from the already leaked ROM. I'm also curious how they will tackle the technical challenges of actually building the N64 carts.

Would anyone be interested in having an updated spreadsheet of GameStop stock for the smaller titles like that one guy used to have, would be easy to put together
This would be fantastic! Because of you and the list you compiled, I was able to track down a copy of Job Simulator a few days ago. So for that, thank you.

Yeah Secret of Mana PS4 is already out of stock on Gamestop.com (you can add to cart but can't checkout) and it's still two days until release. I can't remember the last time that happened for just a standard edition release.

Two questions :

1. Does Rice Digital ship to the US?

2. Do Signature Edition and Rice Digital charge right away, or not until the item ships?

Thanks!

No shit I'm glad I got in early on secret of mana then. My gamestop is notorious for fucking up small game preorders so hopefully they got this one right.

It drops THURSDAY right? Wtf...

I would also suggest that you opt for shipping as opposed to store pickup for pre-ordered games that you suspect might sell out at Gamestop. They  fuck 'd up my pre-orders for both UMVC3 and Killing Floor 2 and my local store never received my pre-ordered copies.

What do you guys think of the One More Dungeon Play-Asia release? I'm so in between right now, don't know if I should get it.
I had never heard of it until PA sent me the email announcing the sign up period. I did some research, and checked out some reviews and it looks pretty solid to me, so I grabbed a copy.

These CE's offered from PA are just insane quality and value wise, so I always grab the ones I have any interest in. At 1000 per system, even if you decide the game sucks, are not to your liking, it can be sold or traded later at a good value I'm sure.

The SoM sku is showing itself as in stock at a crap ton of stores according to their api, so hopefully there will be more stock available than it seems

Just a heads up that when ordering a single game from GameStop.com, they ship it in a flimsy mailer, with a sticky substance to hold it in place between two thin pieces of cardboard. I’ve seen that stickiness leave permanent marks on the cellophane. So FYI for anyone planning to keep something from GameStop sealed.

I'm liking these trend of announcing (certain) new games going BC while being on sale at the same time. I remember they doing it with RDR, with the first Black Ops, last week with Conviction and now Mafia II.

Just a heads up that when ordering a single game from GameStop.com, they ship it in a flimsy mailer, with a sticky substance to hold it in place between two thin pieces of cardboard. I’ve seen that stickiness leave permanent marks on the cellophane. So FYI for anyone planning to keep something from GameStop sealed.
Yeah, this method is another way for retailers to save money, and is about as good as those balloons that some genius thought would protect items during shipping. Amazon uses this method now as well, as I've gotten several items from them shipped that way in the last year. Normally single books are when they use it, as I still get bubble mailers for single games from Amazon.

The SoM sku is showing itself as in stock at a crap ton of stores according to their api, so hopefully there will be more stock available than it seems
Could you tell us some ballpark numbers so we know whether or not it's worth a shot to go to a store at opening. Or would that get you in trouble?

Could you tell us some ballpark numbers so we know whether or not it's worth a shot to go to a store at opening. Or would that get you in trouble?
My scanner doesn't report stock numbers, only if a store is reporting it is reporting that it has a copy or not

I'm still working on the google spreadsheet integration, but here is today's Job Simulator scan

Rutland Plaza - RUTLAND, VT 05701 - PreOwned
Poughkeepsie - POUGHKEEPSIE, NY 12601 - PreOwned
Federal Plaza - Rockville, MD 20852 - NEW
Monkey Junction - Wilmington, NC 28412 - PreOwned
North Hills - RALEIGH, NC 27609 - PreOwned
The Commons - Martinsburg, WV 25403 - PreOwned
Mary Walter Plaza - PARKERSBURG, WV 26101 - PreOwned
Bristol Commons VA - Bristol, VA 24202 - PreOwned
Douglasville Paviln - Douglasville, GA 30135 - PreOwned
Tiger Town - OPELIKA, AL 36801 - PreOwned
Grant Line Center - NEW ALBANY, IN 47150 - PreOwned
Midtown Center - Milwaukee, WI 53216 - PreOwned
Elmwood Center - New Orleans, LA 70123 - PreOwned
Green Mount Commons - Belleville, IL 62221 - PreOwned
Clovis Retail Center - Clovis, NM 88101 - PreOwned
Frys Center - Glendale, AZ 85301 - PreOwned
Ironwood Square - Couer D Alene, ID 83814 - PreOwned
City Place - LONG BEACH, CA 90802 - PreOwned
Universal Park - Fresno, CA 93720 - PreOwned
Vintner Sq - Livermore, CA 94550 - PreOwned
SWM Lebanon Retail - Lebanon, OR 97355 - PreOwned
Cedar Plaza - Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043 - PreOwned
Bellis Fair - BELLINGHAM, WA 98226 - PreOwned
SWM Pony Village - North Bend, OR 97459 - NEW

My scanner doesn't report stock numbers, only if a store is reporting it is reporting that it has a copy or not
Ah ok, I see, thanks for that. any chance you can check if any stores around zip 11239 are reporting stock? No worries if not, but TIA.

Ah ok, I see, thanks for that. any chance you can check if any stores around zip 11239 are reporting stock? No worries if not, but TIA.
I'll have to look up the lat lng, honestly I'm pretty sure that atm it's just reporting almost all stores as having stock since they probably have their copies sitting in the back, ill look when home tho

bread's done
Back