Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secret of Mana is in stock for ordering from Gamestop, I don't think this is going to be as short stocked as some people are thinking

edit: fwiw, the two stores I would usually go to here in town are NOT showing up in a search for the sku, so it's possible this list contains stores that have extra inventory, but it's also entirely possible that my query is just receiving too many stores in the query (I am not performing any attempt at paginating the results as-is since I only really search for limited stock items)

Here is the list of stores reporting having SoM atm tho https://pastebin.com/raw/X5rRqKLV

[attachment=29515:B1851CEF-F6F1-43EB-914F-1B9974EBC15E.jpeg]

Sideways again :\

For those wondering, the Goodies sticker is on the inside of the wrapping and already stuck to the case!!!

Did they ship in a single package from the warehouse or in multiple packages from stores? If they came in a single package, did they use a box or bubble mailer?
Single package, well packed. It's the case that's broken, always the same way along the back fold line. I emailed SOEDESCO for replacements because I doubt Gamestop will give a shit.

I don't know why people are freaking out about SoM all of a sudden. At $40 + tax you might at well buy the SNES cart because this new version looks like a damn travesty and slap to the face of the original.

And, no, I don't think it'll be hard to come by either. What's one "Gamestop Exclusive" that was ever undershipped or hard to come by at launch?

I don't know why people are freaking out about SoM all of a sudden. At $40 + tax you might at well buy the SNES cart because this new version looks like a damn travesty and slap to the face of the original.

And, no, I don't think it'll be hard to come by either. What's one "Gamestop Exclusive" that was ever undershipped or hard to come by at launch?
Resident Evil 7 Collectors is the only one that comes to mind. I think people are just curious to know as to why they would already shut off instore preorders for this one since it's just a standard edition release.

UMvC3

Really? I remember walking right in and picking that up a couple days after release without preordering or anything at all. It's a fairly popular game, and with Capcom being the publisher they are definitely going to replenish if it sells out, at least for as long as they hold the licensing rights.

Really? I remember walking right in and picking that up a couple days after release without preordering or anything at all. It's a fairly popular game, and with Capcom being the publisher they are definitely going to replenish if it sells out, at least for as long as they hold the licensing rights.
It was available for quite some time after release, I remember wanting to go back to pick up an xbone version and it still being available but I procrastinated on it too long.

It was available for quite some time after release, I remember wanting to go back to pick up an xbone version and it still being available but I procrastinated on it too long.
I should have specified PS4 version. Nobody wants XB1 version of any game 😂😂

I got my UMVC3 (PS4) around a month before Infinite came out. It was the only non-gutted copy within any reasonable driving distance at that point.

I already own the SNES cart and have the remake pre-ordered at Gamestop. I thought the remake looked pretty good, I didn't realize people are saying it looks like a travesty.

I have a feeling that Secret of Mana won't get a huge print run. Gamestop has bitten the bullet on a few of these exclusive releases already. Song of the Deep and all the merch they released alongside it flooded those stores for awhile and DeFormers (I think that's the name) seems to have been a huge flop.

I saw a used copy selling for about $40 the other day. Wish I would have picked it up when it came out because I am not about to pay $40 for a used copy of it.

Welp, I'm going to my Gamestop at 8:30 tonight to try to get their 1 extra copy of Secret of Mana.  Any release day extras are coming on today's UPS shipments and they are having a 9pm release tonight because the release date is tomorrow.  My tiny local store is only getting 1 extra copy in-transit.  But it will likely be even harder to score at a large volume store with all the extra foot traffic.

Might want to check with your stores today if you slacked like me. 

I saw a used copy selling for about $40 the other day. Wish I would have picked it up when it came out because I am not about to pay $40 for a used copy of it.
Keep your eyes on Gamefly, they have it for $25 currently, it may go on sale again like their year end sale (I think it was $20 then).

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Is it only coming out physical for the PS4? No physical for the Switch?
They’ll be released physically on the same day, May 29th.

Also, there’s a Reddit AMA at 9 AM EST this morning for the Switch version if anyone’s interested.

Secret of Mana was removed from gamestop for ordering, can only search store inventory and will not let you reserve online, goodluck

FYI if you are trying to get Secret of Mana I would not wait on it, the Gamestop I called only had a few copies and she said the warehouse showed 0 stock

I pre-ordered Secret of Mana from Gamestop, but I am thinking about cancelling it.  I have the SNES version already, and all this version does is reskin it.  The same difficulty spike is there and so is the stupid AI.  Although, the couch co-op is a nice feature.  But $40 for it?  Really debating on passing unless someone has info on it that I don't know about making it worth the cost.

Also, fuck Gamestop and their exclusive releases.

EDIT: Now that it is sold out and not available online, maybe I will still pick it up lol.

I pre-ordered Secret of Mana from Gamestop, but I am thinking about cancelling it. I have the SNES version already, and all this version does is reskin it. The same difficulty spike is there and so is the stupid AI. Although, the couch co-op is a nice feature. But $40 for it? Really debating on passing unless someone has info on it that I don't know about making it worth the cost.

Also, fuck Gamestop and their exclusive releases.

EDIT: Now that it is sold out and not available online, maybe I will still pick it up lol.
I figured what the hell. I am in the same boat as you with owning the SNES version. I figured it would sell out being a Square Enix release and exclusive to Gamestop. I also will be more likely to play this version than I am to go back to the original.

Does GS usually call when a preorder is ready for pickup? I didn’t receive anything for my SOM order and the store doesn’t answer their phones. I don’t want to waste my time driving there if it’s not available. I ordered online for in store pickup the day it went on sale..

It came out today, if you ordered I'd go pick it up, you are SOL if they sell your order cuz you waited too long

It came out today, if you ordered I'd go pick it up, you are SOL if they sell your order cuz you waited too long
That’s messed up, why even preorder if they can sell your copy to someone else? I finally got ahold of the store and she just said it’s in stock so come pick it up. I asked if she had me in the system as reserved and I was told she didn’t have time to look and it “should be fine”. It is GameStop so I shouldn’t be surprised.

I'm pretty sure it's 48 hours, if they sell your copy and the warehouse is legitimately at 0 copies you are gonna be SOL

I'm pretty sure it's 48 hours, if they sell your copy and the warehouse is legitimately at 0 copies you are gonna be SOL
Yeah, looking around, it is for sure 48 hrs, but that's a YMMV type deal. In my past experience, at least with the managers and staff I dealt with, it had to be a full 48 hrs. So for a game released on Friday, that day isn't counted. They would then count Saturday & Sunday as the 48 hrs, and would then allow the item to be sold first thing Monday morning.

Delivery times vary by location, so a game might not come in until later in the day on Friday, so I would guess the full 48 hrs is GS attempt at fair play. LOL. You can also call and talk to someone and request more time if you can't make it within those days. But that is still pretty much YMMV, as often one person might say OK, only to have someone else take it for themselves, or sell it to someone else.

Also, I didn't know this since I don't shop GS much, but I just found out today they dont do holds over the phone anymore, It was news to me so FYI.

I did manage to pick up a copy. Called and was told they had one extra, got to the store and and they said they had 2 now from another box that came in just before I got there. Was gonna grab that too, but another person came in asking about it as the employee was grabbing the game.

Decided not to be a douche and only purchased the one.

bread's done
Back