Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every priority mail package is insured $50 automatically.   Everything you ship should have tracking info on it.  If you use printed labels by buying shipping directly through Ebay or Paypal you are also much less likely to get scammed.  Anything well over $100 you should be buying signature confirmation.   Anything $150+, or that you are worried about getting scammed, you should buy insurance. 

Usually when this happens it's because someone received a package with a few chicken scratches on the front and they think to themselves "hmmm, I could easily say that I didn't receive this package."

People above me supplied great info, and I agree, if you shipped without tracking that's completely on you. Always use ebay/PP shipping since it automates the delivery confirmation#. If you had a DC# and it says delivered you can definitely refute the claim.

I had someone deny a shipment from me before from USPS, just flat out denied and resent to me without ever "receiving" it. When they did that, USPS sent it back and billed me the shipping cost since the buyer didn't actually resend it through a post office, just "denied" it. My front office obviously didn't pick up the bill for me, so USPS held onto it BUT they marked it as delivered on the delivery confirmation. I had to bitch and moan and start up a missing package case on USPS.com, and they finally attempted to redeliver to me a month later, since they couldn't find the book when I went to my post office. Still had to pay of course, and they didn't even give the courtesy of an apology for holding onto my $200 textbook for a month and a half.

Every priority mail package is insured $50 automatically. Everything you ship should have tracking info on it. If you use printed labels by buying shipping directly through Ebay or Paypal you are also much less likely to get scammed. Anything well over $100 you should be buying signature confirmation. Anything $150+, or that you are worried about getting scammed, you should buy insurance.

Usually when this happens it's because someone received a package with a few chicken scratches on the front and they think to themselves "hmmm, I could easily say that I didn't receive this package."
Was trying to remember last package I sent that didn’t have tracking on the receipt. I’m getting old.

I was just reading the changes to the 1st post, I thought LRG was based out of Cary, NC?? Did they move to California? 

Maybe add, Vblank, Yaght Club Games (they also did the 3DS version of Azure Striker Gunvolt), Nicalis, &  Rising Star Games.  I'm sure there are more small indie publishers.  Some definitely are bigger than others but all of them publish smaller indie games with some limited nature to them.

Maybe add, Vblank, Yaght Club Games (they also did the 3DS version of Azure Striker Gunvolt), Nicalis, & Rising Star Games. I'm sure there are more small indie publishers. Some definitely are bigger than others but all of them publish smaller indie games with some limited nature to them.
Games don't really need to be limited to be a notable publisher in this thread, as it's not just for limited games. But yea I'll add all of those save Yacht Club Games, since they've actually only published one title and I'm not sure if they're going to do any others.

Games don't really need to be limited to be a notable publisher in this thread, as it's not just for limited games. But yea I'll add all of those save Yacht Club Games, since they've actually only published one title and I'm not sure if they're going to do any others.
They also published Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack for 3DS!

Didn't see it mentioned but Darkest Dungeon for PS4 is up on Gamestop (sorry if it was and I missed it).  I know some people had their Amazon order cancelled, so they might be interested in grabbing it.  Plus, it is cheaper than Walmart had it.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/darkest-dungeon/159193

I'm hopeful this means it will pop up on BB, but I will grab a preorder just in case.  I've been looking forward to checking out this game.

They certainly did. My PS4 and 3DS copies clearly say Yacht Club Games on the cover.
Noted. I'll keep them in mind. I do want to keep the list to active publishers or ones that have already put out a significant amount of titles. I'll probably add them for the time being, when I resume working on that section.

So, completionists, will this be the only physical version of Inside as a standalone physical game? If so, I wish you mercy. If there are any buyers that will be changing their spending habits over the coming weeks in order to obtain this, that's not collecting, that's addiction.

As for me, I will be monitoring my spending habits over the coming weeks. Totally different.

$375.........................

1315245843_knight_rider__punching_like_a_boss.gif

Shoulda tried to get the Undertale license for a $375 blind box since they already do the vinyls; those might actually sell.

I’m not sure this is the right thread for this but I just picked up a new copy of Has Been Heroes on the Switch for 10 bucks at GameStop.

“He who throws dirt loses ground.”

Didn't see it mentioned but Darkest Dungeon for PS4 is up on Gamestop (sorry if it was and I missed it). I know some people had their Amazon order cancelled, so they might be interested in grabbing it. Plus, it is cheaper than Walmart had it.

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/darkest-dungeon/159193

I'm hopeful this means it will pop up on BB, but I will grab a preorder just in case. I've been looking forward to checking out this game.
Any idea why the price is different on this? I thought it was announced at $29.99 but Walmart had it up for $39.99 (now they have it for $53.23 sold by Walmart - not a 3rd party seller). As you said it's $29.99 at Gamestop and showing available yet people reported Amazon cancelling their orders for the game.

Any idea why the price is different on this? I thought it was announced at $29.99 but Walmart had it up for $39.99 (now they have it for $53.23 sold by Walmart - not a 3rd party seller). As you said it's $29.99 at Gamestop and showing available yet people reported Amazon cancelling their orders for the game.
I'm sure it will come back on Amazon. I've had several niche titles cancelled by Amazon over the past few months and they always get a new listing before release. Sometimes the listing is taken down because of an error or a revision in the release date. The Switch version is still live and includes the discount.

I’m not sure this is the right thread for this but I just picked up a new copy of Has Been Heroes on the Switch for 10 bucks at GameStop.

“He who throws dirt loses ground.”
It's a price drop to $9.99 I believe. I thought about picking the game up again for that price, but I didn't like it when I had it the first time. People keep telling me to give it another chance though, so I may do it for that cheap but man did I find the game boring the first time I played it.

I'm sure it will come back on Amazon. I've had several niche titles cancelled by Amazon over the past few months and they always get a new listing before release. Sometimes the listing is taken down because of an error or a revision in the release date. The Switch version is still live and includes the discount.
It's back now, base price is like 63 but prime discount drops it to 23 idk what is going on with this game and prices

Just got an email from Play-Asia, and they are down to the last 200 copies of Defenders Of Ekron, so don't miss out. This actually looks like a really cool shooter. If I had a PS4, I would probably grab it up.

https://www.play-asia.com/defenders-of-ekron/13/70bu0t?ref=doe2018&utm_source=Exclusive+Product+List&utm_campaign=82d493a80b-20180308_PAEX+No.18_PublicRelease&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4233963d2b-82d493a80b-32611793&mc_cid=82d493a80b&mc_eid=d717133e21

EDIT: Shipping starts on the 15th, for those who care about that sort of thing. LOL

So apparently Strictly Limited Games can't count.  I received 99 Vidas today; I ordered 2 for Vita and 2 for PS4, both standard editions and they sent me 1 of each. Ugh.  I emailed their support line, guess I play the waiting game. Lame.

So apparently Strictly Limited Games can't count. I received 99 Vidas today; I ordered 2 for Vita and 2 for PS4, both standard editions and they sent me 1 of each. Ugh. I emailed their support line, guess I play the waiting game. Lame.
That really sucks. I hope you didn't sell your spares already, as buyers aren't always very understanding.

It looks like Cursed Castilla EX will get a new physical release in Spain.

Sorry I can't post links, look for it on the game dot es website.

Crazy request

Anyone have a lead on a sealed copy of Fortnite for the PS4?  Can't find one anywhere near me and I wanted a physical copy of the game for my collection.

Can't decide if I should get Darkest Dungeon on PS4 or Switch

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Switch all the way on that one. I've held out on buying it for a physical release so I am really looking forward to playing this on my Switch, seems perfectly suited for handheld play.

This is an update concerning the promo item for Ni No Kuni II CE. According to the Best Buy Rep, the promo item will be added to existing orders. I personally would still keep an eye on the product page to see if orders can be placed again Also keep an eye on your existing orders to see if they really add the promo item. He also suggests that there could be an email update sent to you concerning those existing orders.

May or may not be shady depending on how you look at it, I guess if you would rather just guarantee one now for peace of mind, you can order one of the other editions of the game, keep the promo item, and refund the game new.
For those of you who may remember the above concerning the Ni No Kuni II CE pre-orders and the FiGPiN promo item with Best Buy. I just got an email about an update to my preorder and I've confirmed via purchase history that they added the promo item to my order. Just wanted to give a heads up.

bread's done
Back