Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understandable. They just chose an unfortunate name for their company.. it'd almost be like a greasy burger joint naming themselves "Super Healthy Foods".
Yea, but they did that intentionally, so they brought it upon themselves. They really would have been better off with a different game. It'll be interesting to see just how fast/slow this sells to get a good indication of how many copies future switch releases should get.

5000 copies was probably Nintendo's minimum. It's most likely why LRG didn't release any sooner.
Yeah, 5000 very much appears to be the minimum, and I'm sure LRG is only going to do NS games that they know can support those large qty's. The PS4 is roughly in the 70 million user base, and most of those games in the 3000 range can be hard to move(depending on the game). The NS is at around 12 million installed base, and then having a 5000 order is going to be nuts.

I really only see LRG offering the most high profile titles they can for the NS as even with that rabid user base, 5000 is going to be hard to move. I don't think these super rare guys thought this trough that far. As their name alone is the exact opposite of what is being offered, and I don't see any of these games selling out in a short time, which in turn is going to move less and less with each new offering. Why buy now, when a sale is coming soon?

Understandable. They just chose an unfortunate name for their company.. it'd almost be like a greasy burger joint naming themselves "Super Healthy Foods".
I believe I read that their founder is only 19 years old...which would explain the terrible choice in company name (as it sounds like something a kid would think up).

Has anyone received their 25th Ward Collectors Edition from Amazon yet? Or a shipping notice?
Received mine yesterday. In a bubble mailer of course. Small amount of damage to one of the corners, but nothing to contact Amazon about.

I believe I read that their founder is only 19 years old...which would explain the terrible choice in company name (as it sounds like something a kid would think up).
Yeah, an interview was posted here on CAG not long ago, and he came across as a young punk know it all to me, who didn't know his ass from his elbow. LOL So I'll for sure be watching Super Rare if for no other reason than to see what this kid can do, and what he can't.

"Our competitors' downfall is that when you release so much content, you lose the collectability of having a set. If you ask people to buy two games a month, you're downvaluing the product"

This statement alone shows how clueless this kid is, as he can't currently offer more than one or two games, so it's bad that others are? The reality is, most of these games aren't considered collectible even by those who make them. And most can be had for pennies on the dollar in digital form. Yes, there are collectors, but if he thinks a "mobile" game that has a 5000 qty is going to be worth anything in the next 10-20 years, he's as high as he looks! LOL

I like the name, I don't think it's quite SUPER enough. Maybe a duper or an ooper-shmuper in there to jazz it up a bit.

Super Duper Ooper-Shmuper Rare Games, that would be sweet.

Non-Existent Games is where it's at. So rare they likely don't even exist.

"If you can get a copy, respect, power and women will all be yours" ...is our motto. May fine tune it slightly down the road.

Does Cuphead have any DLC, or future planned extra content? They maybe waiting to do an all in one release, but if MS is part of the plan, no telling if and when this will ever happen. It's a shame to, as this is the only ONE title I actually want, but since buying a console is years off(probably), I'm in no rush.

Did the 25th Ward CE come in a box from Amazon? I found a CE sub $30 on eBay by chance and just bought it in case it didn't.

They have one more in stock - https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Silver-Case-PlayStation-PS4-Suda-51-Novel-HD-Video-Game-Birthday-Party-Gift/173215837784

Previously the title had 25th Ward LE in it but now it's just in the description.
Mine came in a bubble mailer, but miraculously it wasn't damaged.

Also, I'd be concerned that the LE extras aren't mentioned in the description. :whistle2:k

Did the 25th Ward CE come in a box from Amazon? I found a CE sub $30 on eBay by chance and just bought it in case it didn't.

They have one more in stock - https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Silver-Case-PlayStation-PS4-Suda-51-Novel-HD-Video-Game-Birthday-Party-Gift/173215837784

Previously the title had 25th Ward LE in it but now it's just in the description.

Mine came in a bubble mailer, but miraculously it wasn't damaged.

Also, I'd be concerned that the LE extras aren't mentioned in the description. :whistle2:k
Mine also came in a bubble mailer. The bubble mailer was giant and my copy got kind of beat up. Nothing as bad as a lot of pics I've seen from Amazon though.

wow $35 and free shipping. such a great deal. and they ship from overseas too. sometimes PA sells stuff at high price with high shipping fees but they been good with these type of releases.

Play-Asia is always a little tricky with their promos.  For example, Sir Eats A Lot likely would have been $29.99 plus $8 shipping so really you are only saving $3 ($35 total price of the item vs. $38).  Those $3 off codes will be nice too, assuming they work (not sure if the free shipping negates the use of the code).

One of their prior promos was that you would save $5 when you ordered both of their new exclusives in the same order.  What they didn't tell you was that they raised their shipping prices that order (from like $8 to $12).

Their new shipping prices are high even for dreamcast games. Its $7.90 for 1 and $12.90 for 2. You would think they could manage 2 for $7.90 but I guess not.

One of their prior promos was that you would save $5 when you ordered both of their new exclusives in the same order. What they didn't tell you was that they raised their shipping prices that order (from like $8 to $12).
That wasn't because they were shipping two items? It wasn't $12 per item was it?

That wasn't because they were shipping two items? It wasn't $12 per item was it?
No, I was comparing it to the shipping cost of 2 CE items from a few months prior.

Order #1:

Tachyon Project CE Vita $29.99

Tachyon Project CE PS4 $29.99

Shipping $7.90

Order #2 (a few months later)

The Coma Recut LE $29.99

Vesta LE $29.99

discount for buying them both -$5.00

Shipping $10.90

So the shipping actually went up $3 for two like products, instead of $4. Though now that I think about it this was around the time when they started raising shipping rates drastically so it could have been as a result of that.

Axiom Verge (PS4 standard edition) is back in stock for shipping at Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axiom-verge-playstation-4/6008201.p?skuId=6008201

$15.99 with GCU.  This has been mostly sold out at most of the other major retailers for a while now, and was OOS at BB until just recently.  This is handy if you already have another version of the Multiverse Edition and would rather not double dip.

Speaking of the Multiverse Edition, it is currently down to $19.97 (PS4 version) at Amazon (who are matching Gamestop):

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Verge-Multiverse-PlayStation-4/dp/B073ZYTG23/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1521209795&sr=1-1&keywords=axiom+verge

Axiom Verge (PS4 standard edition) is back in stock for shipping at Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axiom-verge-playstation-4/6008201.p?skuId=6008201

$15.99 with GCU. This has been mostly sold out at most of the other major retailers for a while now, and was OOS at BB until just recently. This is handy if you already have another version of the Multiverse Edition and would rather not double dip.

Speaking of the Multiverse Edition, it is currently down to $19.97 (PS4 version) at Amazon (who are matching Gamestop):

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Verge-Multiverse-PlayStation-4/dp/B073ZYTG23/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1521209795&sr=1-1&keywords=axiom+verge
Thanks just picked up the multiverse edition.

Surf World Series PS4 has been trickling back in stock at Amazon by a single seller. I've purchased and confirmed that it is the ESRB version, which I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789HC2C7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_U4ARAbQHMB83N
They also have copies of Max: The Curse of Brotherhood. Amazon itself should be getting more copies of that by March 23rd too.

Still think the distribution of these games absolutely sucks as they have been nearly impossible to find outside of Amazon or a few 3rd party sellers.

Gamestop in store availablity updates

Job Simulator

Montville Commons - Uncasville, CT 06382 - PreOwned
Shops @ Janaf - NORFOLK, VA 23502 - PreOwned
SWM Hancock Village - Chesterfield, VA 23832 - PreOwned
Spotslyvna Mall - FREDERICKSBURG, VA 22407 - PreOwned
SWM Rouzerville Comm - Waynesboro, PA 17268 - PreOwned
Shops@WestcottPlanta - North Charleston, SC 29420 - PreOwned
Sycamore Commons S/C - MATTHEWS, NC 28105 - PreOwned
Main Street HP - High Point, NC 27263 - PreOwned
Mary Walter Plaza - PARKERSBURG, WV 26101 - PreOwned
Walmart Supercenter - Hinesville, GA 31313 - PreOwned
Riverview Plaza - Pikeville, KY 41501 - PreOwned
Mayo Plaza - Paintsville (Nippa), KY 41240 - PreOwned
Oakland Plz - Troy, MI 48083 - PreOwned
Woodland Mall - Kentwood, MI 49512 - PreOwned
Emerson Common II - INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46237 - PreOwned
Kentucky Ok EB - PADUCAH, KY 42001 - PreOwned
Hammond Plaza - Hammond, LA 70401 - PreOwned
Green Mount Commons - Belleville, IL 62221 - PreOwned
Marksville Sears S/C - Mansura, LA 71350 - PreOwned
Westwood Plaza - Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 - PreOwned
Kings Crossing - Shreveport, LA 71105 - PreOwned
Longview Mall - Longview, TX 75605 - NEW
McAlester SWM - McAlester, OK 74501 - PreOwned
Dakota Sq Mall East - MINOT, ND 58701 - PreOwned
Highlands Ranch - Highlands Ranch, CO 80129 - PreOwned
Provo Town Center - PROVO, UT 84601 - PreOwned
Alpine Valley Center - American Fork, UT 84003 - PreOwned
Layton Pointe - Layton, UT 84041 - PreOwned
Ontario Marketplace - Ontario, OR 97914 - PreOwned
University Village - RIVERSIDE, CA 92507 - PreOwned
Valley River Center - Eugene, OR 97401 - PreOwned

Dokapon Kingdom Wii (rare title)

Old Bridge - OLD BRIDGE, NJ 08857 - PreOwned
Cy-Fair T/C - Cypress, TX 77429 - PreOwned
Spring Cypress - Houston, TX 77070 - PreOwned
Platt Village Shppng - WEST HILLS, CA 91307 - PreOwned

Gravity Rush Remastered is In Stock online from Gamestop also, there is a lot of stock in stores as well, it's a lil pricy but if you've been wanting to get it you may as well, $47.99 if you have PUR, which is cheaper than you are going to be able to get it on ebay. 

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/gravity-rush-remastered/129633

Roslindale S/C - Roslindale, MA 02131 - PreOwned
The Highlands - BREWSTER, NY 10509 - PreOwned
Rutland Plaza - RUTLAND, VT 05701 - PreOwned
Millside Plaza - Delran, NJ 08075 - PreOwned
Broad & Hunting Plz - Philadelphia, PA 19140 - PreOwned
Myrtle Avenue - Ridgewood, NY 11385 - PreOwned
Jersey Garden Mll GS - Elizabeth, NJ 07201 - PreOwned
Greenbrier Mkt Ctr - Chesapeake, VA 23320 - PreOwned
Pentagon City Mall - ARLINGTON, VA 22202 - PreOwned
Frontier Metro Ctr - Springfield, VA 22150 - PreOwned
Central Park East - FREDERICKSBURG, VA 22401 - PreOwned