Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's basically my #1 rule for LRG and all of their copycats. 100% buy if it's Japanese-made or Japanese-like (momodora, shantae, Pang Adventures etc). And yes it includes steaming piles of Shit like Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae... because I can deal with kusoge just fine.

I remember someone else had a rule here that I also like -- if you've never heard of the game before, chances are you don't need it.
That was probably me, lol. Seems harsh, but you have to practice some degree of self-discipline considering how oversaturated the limited physical release marketplace has become for video games. Saves money in the long run, and keeps my backlog free of garbage games that have pretty boxes but are a chore to play.

Well, the Long Reach for PS4 being offered over at Signature Edition games will be closing pre-orders soon. Or so says the email they just sent me, no dates or given, but it is limited to 2000. The Vita version is still supposed to be happening, but like so many other delayed LRG titles, it's in programming limbo at the moment. If and when said issues are fixed, then the game will happen. https://signatureeditiongames.com/collections/signature-editions/products/the-long-reach-signature-edition-ps4-1?variant=46228153671&utm_source=Signature+Edition+Games&utm_campaign=1507e38023-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f8579ce907-1507e38023-116382969&mc_cid=1507e38023&mc_eid=d6f3f1d6c0
This an exclusive?

Anyone know how long the 2nd batch of Bunny Must Die ended up lasting? I was able to casually order one 10 minutes after it went live and then checked again about an hour after it went live and both the Vita and PS4 versions were still in stock. Only the soundtrack bundles were gone. I was just kinda surprised considering the first batch sold out so rapidly it crashed their site. 

Anyone know how long the 2nd batch of Bunny Must Die ended up lasting? I was able to casually order one 10 minutes after it went live and then checked again about an hour after it went live and both the Vita and PS4 versions were still in stock. Only the soundtrack bundles were gone. I was just kinda surprised considering the first batch sold out so rapidly it crashed their site.
2nd Batch sold out a few hours ago, or maybe last night.

Keep in mind that there was a LRG drop plus Play Asia. So people had to pick and choose. It might have also hurt them with the who removal from website a few days before Saturday.

as of right now they still have 22 copy of the ps4 version

I know a part of collecting smaller indie releases, LRG releases etc. is buying/selling/trading on ebay etc.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, that if you use ebay, you want to avoid the below buyer. He bought a couple of indie/LRG releases from me, and then claimed he didn't get them.

If you use ebay, I suggest you block this guy or risk him also taking advantage of you.

i_heart_vinyl_and_video_games

Ryan La Rue

PO Box 172

Colton, OR 97017

United States

Damnit, I agreed with other that this Jeff guy shouldn't be posting his BS here. So I ignored his post and now this i_heart_vinyl_and_video_games /

Ryan La Rue screwed me over on ebay as well. People need to block this tool.

Given how much this story has been copy/pasted on here, I think it's time for a blog post confirming more details. Just black out any personal information (unlike what has been done already) and then we can make our own decisions about the legitimacy, and it can stop being copy/pasted into the forums every couple of weeks.

Given how much this story has been copy/pasted on here, I think it's time for a blog post confirming more details. Just black out any personal information (unlike what has been done already) and then we can make our own decisions about the legitimacy, and it can stop being copy/pasted into the forums every couple of weeks.
It's the same guy doing this everywhere. So it's not time for anything except for him to get banned from ebay and every forum.

I know a part of collecting smaller indie releases, LRG releases etc. is buying/selling/trading on ebay etc.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, that if you use ebay, you want to avoid the below buyer. He bought a couple of indie/LRG releases from me, and then claimed he didn't get them.

If you use ebay, I suggest you block this guy or risk him also taking advantage of you.

*snip*
You're mentally ill. Please seek help.

He bought a game from me last week. It’s sitting at his post office awaiting pickup.

From what I gathered the seller sold and sent 3 cards separately. The buyer received one and left good feedback from it. The other two apparently didn’t arrive, so bad feedback was left along with an eBay claim. Seller is butthurt he didn’t send with tracking so no way to prove/disprove actual delivery so he’s whining on every forum possible (not really a huge issue) and blasting this buyer’s name/email/phone number while whining (huge huge unprofessional no-no).

More relevant: Does anyone know when Super Rare will announce what their next Switch title is?

Moonlighter is coming to PS4/Switch in May 2018. 

Moonlighter-Physical-Ed_03-02-18.jpg

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2018/04/02/moonlighter/?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqqVOdi_0kI[/media]

Definitely buying this game

Soundtrack seems a bit out of place. Also I remember spotting a bunch of typos on official screenshots from the dev's website. I understand they're from France but still.

This will make my wife happy.  She's been hoping Moonlighter would go physical.  Hopefully it shows up somewhere other than PA.

Oh my god, not another one. I guess I should only blame myself. For some stupid reason I thought we were at the point where it would be too ridiculous for any more copy cats to show up.
LOL, you where kidding yourself if you thought this was ending anytime soon. I expect most of these places to be gone in a year or two, but a few may stick around long term. Just having been around since this industry pretty much started, I've seen it all copied at one time or another. The fighting game craze, motion controls, FMV, etc. The market will support what it can, and most will fall off as time goes by, just the nature of the game I suppose.

For those who are interested, here's Hard Copy Games sign-up page, and I actually think their logo is pretty cool. At least it looks like some time and thought where put in to it. http://www.hardcopygames.com/

EDIT: I just noticed this company is PS4 exclusive, so at least we know they won't be offering to many games, as they are only offering one system for now. I guess Vita could technically fall under "Playstation" titles, so time will tell(highly doubtful though).

You have to be fucking kidding me: another one of these god damn companies? The person with a 2,000 plus video game collection is now hoping for the all digital future to come sooner, rather than later. 

I'm just over here laughing about this. Some of you guys might want to read about new market emergence and evolution. What is going on is following the process step by step. 

if ya'll didn't buy into every crappy 3/10 game that gets a one off physical release and threw some consideration into your purchases, this wouldn't keep happening

Well, they're releasing a game I would want. So they got that going for them. 

Hopefully shipping is like 5 bucks or something

Interesting article. It sounds like they are pursuing the Play-Asia model of doing preorders, but still printing only a fixed amount.
From the interview it looks like they will also be branching out to other consoles in the future (so not just PS4 exclusive).

That logo is supposed to look like a floppy disk? I don't know.. it looks fugly to me. Floppy disks don't really represent the age of modern games either..
Uh, I thought it was supposed to be an SD card/cartridge? So maybe they missed the mark on that then. LOL

Hm, it does kinda look like a SD card. Could be both I guess. Odd to use that logo when they're primarily focusing on PS4 games for now though
Yeah, I actually thought the same, as that logo fits more for the NS and or Vita than the PS4, so that may show how good of a start this guy is off to(and it's not looking good). LOL

Well nobody but lrg has been releasing anything I actually was interested in (oh and iam8bit) but that game actually looks solid to me. If it releases at a non obnoxious time I'll probably grab a copy.

Well nobody but lrg has been releasing anything I actually was interested in (oh and iam8bit) but that game actually looks solid to me. If it releases at a non obnoxious time I'll probably grab a copy.
Only game I wanted so far from iam8bit was HLD. Hope they announce something new soon

Pretty crazy how many folks are jumping on the limited physical bandwagon once LRG got things moving. I have no interest in the first offerings from Hard Copy Games and Super Rare Games, but more power to them if they are able to make things work. Strictly Limited Games and Play Asia have been knocking it out of the park in terms of offering games I enjoy playing. My hope is that these small companies will continue to prove that there is a decent demand for physical games, resulting in more and higher quality games to be offered in the future. Not that there are not already some high quality games being offered thus far, but there are still a lot of great games that I would like to see being offered on disc/cartridge.

Hey, did NISA ever get their shit together in regards to the data breach they had? Anymore issues or concerns at this point, or is it good to go? I want to order the SNK 40th Anniversary set, as it's already pretty low. https://store.nisamerica.com/snk-40th-anniversary-collection-limited-edition-nintendo-switch
They had their site fixed within a day or so of finding the breach. They paid a security firm to assist from what I understood.

I haven’t stopped ordering from them and no known issues again yet.

If you’re truly worried I’ll gladly order you a copy ahipped direct to you, you know so I’ll get them extra reward points.

They had their site fixed within a day or so of finding the breach. They paid a security firm to assist from what I understood.

I haven’t stopped ordering from them and no known issues again yet.

If you’re truly worried I’ll gladly order you a copy ahipped direct to you, you know so I’ll get them extra reward points.
LOL, good call, I forgot about those. I think I may have $5-10 to use myself. Well, that's glad to hear they hired someone with a knowledge of such issues, as I've used NISA for years with no troubles. I was lucky that during their breach troubles, they also didn't have any Vita games to buy, so I hadn't used them in awhile.

Normally I always had open orders(and was always making new ones), and just with their last Vita titles, they seem to be 100% NS now, which is great, as I've been saving tons of dollars as NISA was one of my biggest expenses each year. I liked being able to combine orders to get free shipping, plus it allowed for orders to be delayed until all games where ready to ship.

I guess if I order this SNK LE, I'll just try and use a card that I don't use much, so that way if anything goes wrong, I'm not contacting tons of places to update info.

I went ahead and ordered the SNK Anniversary Collection on NISA.  I'm pretty confident they have their shit together now and do not want to miss out on getting this.  Ordered it with God Wars Switch LE to get free shipping.  It looks like both will be coming out in the Fall so there shouldn't be a huge wait between when the titles come out.

bread's done
Back