Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Placed an order for both PS4 and Vita versions of Reverie.  With free shipping and a $5 off code I got in a previous order, it came to $64.98 shipped.  Not bad for two limited CE games.

Is anybody else having issues paying via Paypal? I keep confirming the payment, and then it takes me to a button-less screen where I can't do anything to finish the payment.

Is anybody else having issues paying via Paypal? I keep confirming the payment, and then it takes me to a button-less screen where I can't do anything to finish the payment.
Yes I have the same issue and have had it for them for a while now. The only way to get it to work is use the credit card on my account but then I get charged foreign transaction fees. I have no Idea how to fix it and it is very frustrating.

Yes I have the same issue and have had it for them for a while now. The only way to get it to work is use the credit card on my account but then I get charged foreign transaction fees. I have no Idea how to fix it.
I also tried that method, but my card automatically declines any payment to them as a security precaution, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to go through.

I also tried that method, but my card automatically declines any payment to them as a security precaution, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to go through.
Call your card company they should be able to disable region lockouts for a day

It’s crazy that a mediocre game CE will sell out for $70+shipping on LRG in 5 min or less and a decent looking RPG CE for $35 w free shipping from PA appears to have a much lower demand.

It’s crazy that a mediocre game CE will sell out for $70+shipping on LRG in 5 min or less and a decent looking RPG CE for $35 w free
shipping from PA appears to have a much lower demand.
Exactly I guess LRG is more known now. $31 after discount and free shipping for a decent collectors seems like a good price.I really like Play Asia putting these out.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread for awhile now but after all the delays it looks like Agony is finally supposed to release at the end of this month on PS4/XB1 through Maximum games for 39.99. I'm a little disappointed at hearing it's been censored a bit but I'm still looking forward to a solid survival horror experience. Really hoping this game doesn't shit the bed as I've been waiting for it for quite awhile now. 

It’s crazy that a mediocre game CE will sell out for $70+shipping on LRG in 5 min or less and a decent looking RPG CE for $35 w free shipping from PA appears to have a much lower demand.
To be fair Play Asia’s titles haven’t all been winners plus without knowing anything about this game the cover art looked baseball related. Glad I checked a video though as it looks great.

How do I know my Reverie order went through? My order says "Preorder / Backorder" but haven't been charged. Missed it the first time becuase my Paypal wouldn't go through and now the same this is happening with my credit card. This is very frustrating.

Contacted customer support but they haven't replied.

How do I know my Reverie order went through? My order says "Preorder / Backorder" but haven't been charged. Missed it the first time becuase my Paypal wouldn't go through and now the same this is happening with my credit card. This is very frustrating.

Contacted customer support but they haven't replied.
You should get email confirmation within a few minutes. For what it's worth, my order says the same thing and I did get an email confirmation.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet... Strictly Limited Games next title is Knights of Pen and Paper.
Seems like a fairly repetitive and shallow RPG that started on tablets. It does have a novel concept, as your playing an RPG of people playing a tabletop DND style RPG. It seems rife with pop culture references, too. I saw some enemies that resembled the ninja turtles and friggin Missingno is taken straight out of gen 1 Pokemon.

yeah idk bout knights of pen and paper, I looked at some videos and it doesn't really strike me as something I wanna sit down in front of the tv to play

I've been looking on the site to see the actual order page since they say it is up. You know of a link to it? Supposedly there is a timer but I don't see that either.
They're actually not going to use the old page link anymore afterall. They posted a new update today that as another effort against the attacks, they'll use a new URL for the purchase that they will only post when the sale goes live, so you'll need to navigate to the page through their site.

On a related note, today they did another test and it seems the attacks came back - so they're working on additional changes to better address and prevent site outage issues for the Ruiner sale. Fingers crossed that it works and I can get a copy :pray:

Play-Asia released about 50 copies of Coma:Recut (PS4) and 100 copies of each version of One More Dungeon.

Ordered Coma and Ghost Blade HD with their BOGO 50% off promotion and the discount was on the more expensive item. That and MYPSVITA brought the total down to $37 with free shipping. Nice.

Yep, I just picked up Coma and One More Dungeon Limited Editions from Play-Asia.  I haven't ordered from them in a couple years, but both those games look cool and I figured I would give these LEs a try.  $45 total with free shipping due to being Eastasiasoft exclusives.  They work with the B1G1 50% off. 

Lol in the time they have tried to fix this shit, they could have had LRG do the sale for them and this would be OVER already.  fucking ridiculous.

Lol in the time they have tried to fix this shit, they could have had LRG do the sale for them and this would be OVER already. fucking ridiculous.
That's not really a solution. I mean, they still have the rest of the Devolver Digital catalog to sell through, so SRG needs to figure out how to defend themselves regardless unless you expect them to just give up on their store altogether. I really hope they do make it out of these attacks in one piece, if only to fulfill my selfish desire for a physical Hotline Miami 2.

That's not really a solution. I mean, they still have the rest of the Devolver Digital catalog to sell through, so SRG needs to figure out how to defend themselves regardless unless you expect them to just give up on their store. I really hope they do make it out of these attacks in one piece, if only to fulfill my selfish desire for a physical Hotline Miami 2.
I bought 2/3 of their past releases with no issues. Given the HIGH demand for this title and the constant bot attacks, either make this an open pre-order title OR figure out some shit since it has failed 2 times now. This is ridiculous.

It's just disappointing to think that someone is do petty as to continue doing this. SRG is by no means perfect but this is simply childish behavior. All I can imagine is it's some disgruntled fan.

Just put it up for normal order / pre-order. Enough of these stupid “timed events”, ESPECILKY if you can’t get them to work right.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet... Strictly Limited Games next title is Knights of Pen and Paper.
Seems like a fairly repetitive and shallow RPG that started on tablets. It does have a novel concept, as your playing an RPG of people playing a tabletop DND style RPG. It seems rife with pop culture references, too. I saw some enemies that resembled the ninja turtles and friggin Missingno is taken straight out of gen 1 Pokemon.
I got super excited for this one when I got the email. I played through the entire game on my phone and loved every minute of it. I could give a full blown review of it (since I used to write reviews) but I’ll just say that it definitely mimics the essence of a table top rpg being played with friends well. I was charmed by the game and will absolutely be buying it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got super excited for this one when I got the email. I played through the entire game on my phone and loved every minute of it. I could give a full blown review of it (since I used to write reviews) but I’ll just say that it definitely mimics the essence of a table top rpg being played with friends well. I was charmed by the game and will absolutely be buying it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How grindy is it? The mobile origin concerns me in terms of game design pushing microtransactions.

Bought One More Dungeon from PlayAsia and threw Vesta in there for half price. Hoping Cursed Castilla gets stocked one last time and I'm around to grab it.

bread's done
Back