Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbDOoQRyGA4&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=Exclusive+Product+List&utm_campaign=2671e71789-20180919_PAEX_TGS&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4233963d2b-2671e71789-32611793&mc_cid=2671e71789&mc_eid=d717133e21
List of the games in the video announcement

Reverie (Switch) - Rainbite & Eastasiasoft (2019)

STAY (Vita) - Appnormals & Eastasiasoft (October 2018) (Also available on Switch & PS4 from PQUBE!)

Death Road to Canada (Switch) - Rocketcat & Eastasiasoft (2019)

Rym 9000 (PS4) - Rainbite & Eastasiasoft (2018)

Ghost Blade HD (Switch) - Hucast, 2Dream, & Eastasiasoft (2019)

I'm interested in STAY (Vita)

I am not buying Ghost Blade for the third time.
Good thing it will be my first time. I remember letting them cancel my order for the PS4 LE because of the whole payment issue they were having. Much rather have it on the switch since I would play it more often too.

I have both versions of Ghost Blade on Dreamcast and both on PS4. I've also got it on Steam. So yeah, I suppose I can buy it again... Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

So, what's the deal with Cat Quest for the Switch?  I saw on Amazon that the release date is now showing 10/9, but last week I saw a copy available to purchase in store in Best Buy - which would have been around its original release date.  The Best Buy website is also listing 10/9 as a release date so it appears some stores may have gotten it in several weeks early?  I didn't try to purchase it at the time but I have to wonder if the system will allow it considering the new release date.

So, what's the deal with Cat Quest for the Switch? I saw on Amazon that the release date is now showing 10/9, but last week I saw a copy available to purchase in store in Best Buy - which would have been around its original release date. The Best Buy website is also listing 10/9 as a release date so it appears some stores may have gotten it in several weeks early? I didn't try to purchase it at the time but I have to wonder if the system will allow it considering the new release date.
It came in a month early and not all stores check dates. It wouldn't ring up anyway.

Original release date was last week and a few days before it was set to release the date got pushed back to 10/9. The Gamestop I go to did get copies of the game in last week but they aren't able to sell it until 10/9.

So, what's the deal with Cat Quest for the Switch? I saw on Amazon that the release date is now showing 10/9, but last week I saw a copy available to purchase in store in Best Buy - which would have been around its original release date. The Best Buy website is also listing 10/9 as a release date so it appears some stores may have gotten it in several weeks early? I didn't try to purchase it at the time but I have to wonder if the system will allow it considering the new release date.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but PSIKYO Collection Vol. II is available on PA and if you buy both, you get 5% off as a bundle deal.

Probably going to pick this up now and combine it with a coupon.  Times like these I wished I actually had one of those coupon they send with orders for $5 off, but $3 off will have to do.

fast-striker-limited-edition-ps-vita-ps4-20181003-1024x576.jpg

I want to order this, but I know as soon as I do they'll announce a Switch release for it like they've done for literally every game they've published.

well at least its cheaper than LRG. they wouldve sold it for $40 plus $5.50 shipping. and LRG announced they going to tax on some states.
Well, it's not like LRG had a choice to collect taxes or not! The happy days of buying online to avoid taxes are over, I'm afraid.

I don't want to incite panic, but figured I would mention that the PSVR title Astrobot Rescue Mission seems to be in limited stock for whatever reason. It just came out Tuesday but Best Buy is already sold out on their website and I bought the last copy from their stores in my entire city last night. Called a couple of Gamestops and the stores only seemed to have received 1-3 copies each. It is easily available online at Amazon and Gamestop and I'm assuming may get a restock but after the fiasco with the low print run on Job Simulator, figured I should say something just in case.     

So, it looks like Red Art games has put up their next release: Ice Cream Surfer (PS4/Vita). 2000 copies of each. It is hard to imagine them ever selling out, so there is probably no need to hurry.

So, it looks like Red Art games has put up their next release: Ice Cream Surfer (PS4/Vita). 2000 copies of each. It is hard to imagine them ever selling out, so there is probably no need to hurry.
Considering that Bard's Tale still has around 2500 copies of 3000 left, I am not sure it would be wise to give this company money for a game that may get cancelled. I bought Bard's Tale, and at this point I am halfway expecting to never get it. Also, 20 euro for the game and 10 euro for shipping seems a bit nuts for Ice Cream Surfer. As you say, no need to hurry. I'll wait and see if Bard's Tale sees the light of day before seriously thinking about buying Ice Cream Surfer.

I posted this in the GameStop thread earlier, but thought I’d post it here as well.

New copies of Owlboy have been converted to pre-owned. I checked yesterday and nobody had a pre-owned copy, but just about every store had new copies. I looked a little bit ago and it’s the complete opposite.

The Switch version is the only one that’s been converted so far. It’s a good deal if you still have Elite Pro.

https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo-switch/games/owlboy/159690

I posted this in the GameStop thread earlier, but thought I’d post it here as well.

New copies of Owlboy have been converted to pre-owned. I checked yesterday and nobody had a pre-owned copy, but just about every store had new copies. I looked a little bit ago and it’s the complete opposite.

The Switch version is the only one that’s been converted so far. It’s a good deal if you still have Elite Pro.

https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo-switch/games/owlboy/159690
thanks might grab it and cancel my CE

Everything about this SCREAMS amateur hour. I'm the last guy to complain about "all these new limited run-ish companies" but COME ON put some effort into it at least.

LRG still on top for me, SLG and Play-Asia tied for second. PA is especially killing it with the SHMUPs, even if they're mostly euro / non-Japanese. SLG well, some hit or miss titles, but I'm excited for Project Hardcore, now that is really setting them apart.

Maybe they haven't updated the stores near me yet but it's only available new here.
Did you happen to look at the PS4 version by mistake? It’s only the Switch version that they converted. If not, you might keep an eye on it. It may just need another day or two. When I picked up a copy yesterday they hadn’t even changed the sticker yet, because it just got converted that morning.

SRG... they release what, 2 or 3 games a year? Why would they go for The Messenger out of everything else they've teased or alluded to? I'm already dreading buying Metal Wolf Chaos off these guys. Super expensive shipping to Canada and finicky web store.

I'm surprised to see the retail edition of Hellblade since the devs seemed pretty adamant on keeping it digital only. Happy to see it make the jump to physical though.

This is just a reminder that those 3 new Play-Asia releases are supposed to go up for sale in about 30 minutes.

SInce they offer free shipping for their exclusives it is best to make multiple orders and use a $3 off coupon (MYPSVITA, GEMATSU, etc) with each order.

This is just a reminder that those 3 new Play-Asia releases are supposed to go up for sale in about 30 minutes.

SInce they offer free shipping for their exclusives it is best to make multiple orders and used a $3 off coupon (MYPSVITA, GEMATSU, etc) with each order.
Just place orders for both games for Vita. Thanks for the tip I was going to order them together in one order.

SInce they offer free shipping for their exclusives it is best to make multiple orders and used a $3 off coupon (MYPSVITA, GEMATSU, etc) with each order.
Appreciate the tip! Got the two Vita games and the PS4 version of Fast Strikers, so you saved me $6 since I would have otherwise used one code for the whole order.

I also like ordering everything separately because I sell on eBay a lot and getting more boxes in is always appreciated haha. 

Thanks, I ordered Fast Striker on both systems and STAY. Play-Asia knows how to earn my business by having separate trophy lists.

Thanks, I ordered Fast Striker on both systems and STAY. Play-Asia knows how to earn my business by having separate trophy lists.
They are doing all the right things with their PLAY exclusives. As you mention, the trophy lists. Also, the pricing is awesome (31.99 shipped essentially), lots of shmups and other good games, stuff that I actually want in a CE, well packaged, and not a bloodbath to order.

I'm honestly banking on the off chance that these sets last till Black Friday and that Play Asia does a B1G1 Free or Half Off deal on their Play Exclusives like last time.

bread's done
Back