Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS4 physical release of Death's Gambit came out this week. Gamestop online appears to be completely sold out but a lot of local stores have stock. Also, Amazon still has it in stock too and probably will for a while.
Is Gamestop and Amazon the only one carrying this? I had been searching only BB all this time and didnt think this game was coming out lol

Is Gamestop and Amazon the only one carrying this? I had been searching only BB all this time and didnt think this game was coming out lol
They are the only ones so far that I've seen. Target carried some of the earlier Skybound Games releases so they may carry this too.

Is the North American release of Ninja Saviors going to include the manual? The SLG site says, "The limited SLG release of the game comes with an exclusive 5 button-set and game manual." Does that mean just the button set is exclusive or both the buttons and the manual?
There's barely any information about the North American release. It might end up even more rare than SLG's.... or in every walmart's bargain bin. I'm getting SLG's since I gotta order Ultracore anyway.

There's barely any information about the North American release. It might end up even more rare than SLG's.... or in every walmart's bargain bin. I'm getting SLG's since I gotta order Ultracore anyway.
Yeah it's a tough call. All I really want is a version that has the manual since I don't really care about the pin set, but the wording by SLG in multiple places has not been too explicit as to whether the manual is exclusive or not. Ultracore is another one I am unsure about. SLG have hinted that there may be a physical Vita version down the line, so I would rather have that version than the PS4 version, but who knows if the Vita will ever see it. I can see EastAsiaSoft picking that one up if SLG doesn't end up doing it. Might just end up getting both to play it safe. Both games look pretty cool.

Yeah it's a tough call. All I really want is a version that has the manual since I don't really care about the pin set, but the wording by SLG in multiple places has not been too explicit as to whether the manual is exclusive or not.
My manual brother.

I actually asked SLG (on Facebook) specifically about the manual being exclusive to them and they were a bit evasive. I don't think they really know.

My manual brother.

I actually asked SLG (on Facebook) specifically about the manual being exclusive to them and they were a bit evasive. I don't think they really know.
Probably true. I went ahead and got the vanilla version from them since I would be irritated with myself if the NA version released without a manual.

So, no PS4 version like their previous physical releases The Messenger and Minit?
I got messenger ps4 physical from lrg via their partnership with special reserve games for the ps4. I don't see it on srg website though which is odd, just see it for switch. Unless I am overlooking it

Edit: disregard. I read your post wrong, thought you said something you didnt.

Got an email from Arcade Distillery tonight. Looks like Luc Bernard's games will be getting the CE treatment:

Indiegogo was for pre order of the normal edition 20$. Our partners who are making the physicals will announce in the next days pre orders for their special edition which are 35$ (that's the one with the box CD etc...

I'm letting you guys know so no one gets angry that there is some special editions that are up to sale on another site. They are higher in price since they are different. If only the standard editions were sold currently there would be no profit, and it would just put everyone in the red.

So just everyone is aware, the indiegogo was for the pre order of discounted copies of the game. And for people to get digital versions too. The other versions that weren't on here will NOT contain any digital codes.

Both editions contain the same game content.

Excited for you guys to have the physicals finally.
So not only do the games not get a NA release, but they are getting a CE release as well. Wish I had known this in advance. I would have just waited and got the CE Asian versions.

Got an email from Arcade Distillery tonight. Looks like Luc Bernard's games will be getting the CE treatment:

So not only do the games not get a NA release, but they are getting a CE release as well. Wish I had known this in advance. I would have just waited and got the CE Asian versions.
I'm so sick of Luc Bernard's half-assed moneygrabs and "clarifications." Kinda feel like he deserves to go into the red on this one.

Sounds like these will be Play-Asia Eastasiasoft exclusives, which sucks for me since I have a complete collection of their exclusives. But I will not be double dipping on these trash games so I guess my complete collection ends because of this. I'm pretty much soured on Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns at this time. Will not be supporting anymore that are game related since they always get a better physical release down the road outside of the campaign. In fact, I can't think of one example where the physical product offered in the campaign was better than the actual retail physical release released later.

I'm so sick of Luc Bernard's half-assed moneygrabs and "clarifications." Kinda feel like he deserves to go into the red on this one.
fuck him. still never received or heard from any of their accounts regarding my refund.

his hell should be having to be in and play one of his games for eternity, and he always dies just before finishing

a new update from Arcade Distillery Luc Bernard

Indiegogo pre order exclusive slip cover

Hey Guys,

So heard you loud and clear. For the indiegogo versions we will be doing exclusive slip covers. Which will only be for people who pre ordered here. 

It will be a brand new design, which we will be working on in the next week or so. So stay tuned.

At least Arcade Distillery will be done with the Vita after these (and Skullpirates, if that still makes it) and they can be dead to me forever.

On that note though, has anyone heard anything about Skullpirates recently? Looks like the last Kickstarter update was April and he was still doing concept art at that point. Makes me think he may miss whatever Asia's deadline for cart production is at this rate.

his hell should be having to be in and play one of his games for eternity, and he always dies just before finishing
Seriously guys, you should be backing his game to get it and play it, not to complete your NA set. If you think it's a trash game don't back it; that's the purpose of crowdfunding.

Seriously guys, you should be backing his game to get it and play it, not to complete your NA set. If you think it's a trash game don't back it; that's the purpose of crowdfunding.
Man, get that logic, reason & common sense out of here, you know that has no place at CAG, especially in the "limited" release thread.

It wasn't crowdfunding of the development though and the money was not supposed to be used for development in any manner. He just used Indiegogo to generate the money to cover the physical run. He repeatedly claimed it would be a North American region release and used that as a major selling point. It won't be. Then he claimed that the release was only a few months away because he had done everything to prep for the physical release already. That was also a lie. Now, we find out that the Asian partner he us using will actually have a superior version of the product at $35 while people that preordered almost a year ago just get a vanilla version. It's totally ridiculous and arguing that this is somehow normal crowdfunding and therefore promises can be broken is just absurd.

know the facts first. this was not crowdfunding for development, literally just preorder for an NA vita copy initially. fucking geniuses and SJW everywhere

A new challenger has entered this already overcrowded ring: Collector's Only.

There first release is "Last Fight" for Switch and PS4.

D9BRSdrXYAY0-R6.jpg
\

From what I've seen, this game looks like a poor man's Power Stone. It looks like it'd be fun for small sessions with friends, but would get old after a while.

A new challenger has entered this already overcrowded ring: Collector's Only.

There first release is "Last Fight" for Switch and PS4.

D9BRSdrXYAY0-R6.jpg
\

From what I've seen, this game looks like a poor man's Power Stone. It looks like it'd be fun for small sessions with friends, but would get old after a while.
Why is "Collector's" possessive? A collector doesn't own "only". It should be Collectors Only. I don't feel like apostrophes are a difficult grammar concept. This really irks me. It seems like an intern-level mistake and they've already done their branding and theoretically registered their company.

Why is "Collector's" possessive? A collector doesn't own "only". It should be Collectors Only. I don't feel like apostrophes are a difficult grammar concept. This really irks me. It seems like an intern-level mistake and they've already done their branding and theoretically registered their company.
Namewise, not sure if it takes the cake away from Super Rare Games or Warned Collectors though.

More like why does this game exist and that is some fulgy art.

The link to their website they posted on Twitter doesn't work, so if they are legit, they are far from prepared.

https://twitter.com/only_collectors/status/1139500375579471872?s=21

Shakedown Hawaii is coming out on PS4 on July 10th. Has there been any word of the Switch physical release? I want this game physically really bad. Prefer Switch but I'll grab the PS4 if I missed it.

Shakedown Hawaii is coming out on PS4 on July 10th. Has there been any word of the Switch physical release? I want this game physically really bad. Prefer Switch but I'll grab the PS4 if I missed it.
Switch is probably next but I'm guessing it will be a few months.

Anyone heard if metal wolf chaos XD will get a physical release? It comes out in August and was hoping there would be a mention of it somewhere.

Yes, Special Reserve mentioned a while back that they will be releasing it. I wouldn't expect it for several months though.
Very cool. I didn't know they talked about it but was hoping they would since they worked with devolver before.

Now if I can get from software to just remaster/rerelease demons souls and kings field I'd be a happy boy.

Thanks.

Went into GameStop today, and they had a big sign out front advertising a PS4 physical copy of Metal Wolf Chaos that was "Only @ GameStop". They didn't have an Xbox version in their system, just the PS4 copy with a date of August 20th.

Went into GameStop today, and they had a big sign out front advertising a PS4 physical copy of Metal Wolf Chaos that was "Only @ GameStop". They didn't have an Xbox version in their system, just the PS4 copy with a date of August 20th.
Maybe only at gamestop means far as retail. Id rather buy it from special reserve if they end up carrying it even if its the same price Id rather not give gamestop money. But if thats the case then Ill get it from gamestop as I allow myself 3 gamestop exclusive purchases a year. I used one already on the dark souls totaku this year. I dont see it listed on their website yet though.

This is just a reminder that Shakedown Hawaii (PS4) goes on sale later today on VBlank's site.  Does anyone know what time VBlank usually updates their site to allow sales?

God, shipping is 10$ USD to Canada? And it presumably ships FROM Canada? I'm gonna wait a bit longer to see if vgp.ca will offer Shakedown PS4

bread's done
Back