Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
space invaders for switch will have a retail releases how ever the Strictly Limited Games release will have exclusive game for its release 

space invaders for switch will have a retail releases how ever the Strictly Limited Games release will have exclusive game for its release
I'm... trying to process what you just said. where did you read that it will get a normal retail release? and where does it say strictly limited will have exlusive game(s?) on their release?

I'm... trying to process what you just said. where did you read that it will get a normal retail release? and where does it say strictly limited will have exlusive game(s?) on their release?
From the email they sent out:

Worth mentioning is that there will be a non-SLG retail release down the line, featuring just a fraction of the games, aimed at more casual fans of Space Invaders. This retail release is yet to be announced, but will by no means be comparable to what we dare to say is the most complete Space Invaders Collection ever, only available through SLG.
In light of this future retail release, lacking the majority of games found here above, we are extremely happy to have all games available on the game card/disc itself.

How many games is all games for Space Invaders?
here's the collection in full...

• Space Invaders (1978, Arcade)
  • Space Invaders (1978, Arcade)
  • Space Invaders Part II (1979, Arcade)
  • Lunar Rescue (1979, Arcade)
  • Space Cyclone (1980, Arcade)
  • Majestic Twelve: The Space Invaders Part IV (1990, Arcade)
  • Super Space Invaders ’91 (1990, Arcade)
  • Space Invaders DX (1994, Arcade)
  • Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders (2017, iOS / Android)
  • Space Invaders Extreme (2018, PC)
  • Space Invaders Gigamax 4 SE (2018)

And which games does the
Japanese version include?
from play asia

The following titles are included:
- Space Invaders (1978, Arcade) – Black-and-White Version

- Space Invaders (1978, Arcade) – Color Version
- Space Invaders Part II (1979, Arcade)
- Super Space Invaders ’91 (also known as MJ-12 / Majestic Twelve) (1990, Arcade)
- Space Invaders Extreme (2018, PC)
- Space Invaders DX
- Space Cyclone
- Lunar Rescue
- Additional titles to be announced in the future

So SLG might have more games physically on cart as the playasia copy will be downloads partially im gueesing. ?

I think space invaders is worthy.
Also donated some cash and rescued a copy of Mother Russia Bleeds switch for myself from srg earlier which sold out.

Got the same email and I'm super confused by this- why are they releasing Wii/Wii U games this late..? I get that RCR basically came out for every system ever, but still, this just seems odd...
I think the WiiU release is to mess with LRG as he doesn't like them and wants the final release on that platform in the US.

Got the same email and I'm super confused by this- why are they releasing Wii/Wii U games this late..? I get that RCR basically came out for every system ever, but still, this just seems odd...
Brian is just a straight up "gamer" that LRG is always talking about being, but by their own actions, very rarely ever seem to actually show by actions. He really just seems about getting his games out and to the most systems as possible, as many releases he has offered over the years, were probably far from money making" endeavors. He makes money on the more well known systems, and that seems to pay for his fan service to lesser ones.

The only times he hasn't delivered on a promised item, was when said items could no longer be produced, like the UMD version of RCR for the PSP. And even then, he offered up a case and manual as a "sorry" for not delivering the whole experience, and really no one could fault him for just not doing it, even if he could have. As the PSP was so far removed from gaming by that point, but he still tried his best to make it happen, and delivered what he could.

So yeah, for most of us, getting this email was a WTF!? moment and then some, but when you see all of his releases over the years, this is really no surprise at all(not really).

They still have a ton of figurines to move, after nobody bought them.

Brian is just a straight up "gamer" that LRG is always talking about being, but by their own actions, very rarely ever seem to actually show by actions. He really just seems about getting his games out and to the most systems as possible, as many releases he has offered over the years, were probably far from money making" endeavors. He makes money on the more well known systems, and that seems to pay for his fan service to lesser ones.

The only times he hasn't delivered on a promised item, was when said items could no longer be produced, like the UMD version of RCR for the PSP. And even then, he offered up a case and manual as a "sorry" for not delivering the whole experience, and really no one could fault him for just not doing it, even if he could have. As the PSP was so far removed from gaming by that point, but he still tried his best to make it happen, and delivered what he could.

So yeah, for most of us, getting this email was a WTF!? moment and then some, but when you see all of his releases over the years, this is really no surprise at all(not really).
I don't know, Brian feels a lot like a guy who made one very mediocre and one slightly above average game and has been milking the novelty of the very mediocre one for years by putting it on dead platforms. There are plenty of issues with LRG, but I don't think Brian is doing much other than messing with OCD full setters at this point.

I don't know, Brian feels a lot like a guy who made one very mediocre and one slightly above average game and has been milking the novelty of the very mediocre one for years by putting it on dead platforms. There are plenty of issues with LRG, but I don't think Brian is doing much other than messing with OCD full setters at this point.
So lets just say your statement is 100% accurate, wouldn't this say more about the people buying a mediocre game, than the one offering it? I personally enjoyed both of his offerings, and bought several versions across many systems as a show of that support. If I thought either game was mediocre, I wouldn't have bought it once, let alone more than multiple times.

Why should peoples own stupidity be an issue for someone else offering a game for a fan who may not have a different platform? If you don't agree with a business practice or a person, you don't shop there, problem solved. There's a HUGE difference between what he does, and what LRG does, as his games are his own, and 99.9% of LRG offerings are someone else's.

Each game offered by Brian is a game he put all the effort in to make, and offer to fans, so he's not doing a little work, and getting a big return, he's doing all the work and getting what he gets(big, small or breaking even). When 99.9 of LRG offerings are someone else's, and whatever shady shit they do most of the time, the developer has signed off on in support of lining their own pockets with LRG behind the wheel. I would also state that Brian has offered "reprints" for those limited OCD items you describe, so that fans who missed out got a chance for the game, so if that reads like LRG to you, there's nothing more for me to say.

So lets just say your statement is 100% accurate, wouldn't this say more about the people buying a mediocre game, than the one offering it? I personally enjoyed both of his offerings, and bought several versions across many systems as a show of that support. If I thought either game was mediocre, I wouldn't have bought it once, let alone more than multiple times.

Why should peoples own stupidity be an issue for someone else offering a game for a fan who may not have a different platform? If you don't agree with a business practice or a person, you don't shop there, problem solved. There's a HUGE difference between what he does, and what LRG does, as his games are his own, and 99.9% of LRG offerings are someone else's.

Each game offered by Brian is a game he put all the effort in to make, and offer to fans, so he's not doing a little work, and getting a big return, he's doing all the work and getting what he gets(big, small or breaking even). When 99.9 of LRG offerings are someone else's, and whatever shady shit they do most of the time, the developer has signed off on in support of lining their own pockets with LRG behind the wheel. I would also state that Brian has offered "reprints" for those limited OCD items you describe, so that fans who missed out got a chance for the game, so if that reads like LRG to you, there's nothing more for me to say.
I'm not saying Brian is doing anything he is not entitled to do. I just don't agree with you that what he is doing has much value. I mean people constantly complain when LRG releases the same game on multiple platforms, but this guy does it with the same mediocre game over and over again and all of a sudden he is the patron saint of gamers.

Yea... releasing Wii and Wii U games that are widely available on other consoles just seems like desperate milking to me.

I'd be surprised if the number of people who actually plays any of those discs cracks 100.

I need someone to convince me into purchasing that Space Invaders collection from slg at six
I was all for it because I've been wanting to play extreme lately... Then this announced. I thought perfect! Except I assumed it'd be half price lol. Way way way too much for that package.

I need someone to convince me into purchasing that Space Invaders collection from slg at six
Pros

You get 11 Space Invaders instead of the 6 that the future release will get.

Arkanoid vs Space Invaders was previous a JP only download now in cart

You probably get all the games for $60 total value, separate might be more than $60

Maybe (but like every limited run printed game almost probably not) a future collector's item

Cons

there will be a later release but with less games

it is $60 (too much, should have been 40)

there is too much Space Invaders (the game is fun for like 5 mins)

Went with it & bought that good package
space invaders -standard edition- with an
enamel pin included.

Price gave me a little sticker shock though.
And then it sold out quickly so.. others agreed as well i guess.

Yeah, that set really looks cool, as I just saw the email in my inbox and actually paused to consider it myself. LOL

I've just really passed on most items like this over the last few years, but this was one of the better ones I thought, and if they had included the Virtual Boy game somehow, it may have pushed me over the line. I'm not the biggest SI fan, but I've enjoyed several of the games included in this set over the years, and the value here isn't the worst(not really).

The biggest issue, is that no matter what, most of these games while different, are very much the same, so I more than understand the lower asking price many have stated it should have been. And at $40, I may have just said why not for kicks, but at the current price, it makes my choice for me more often than not, as I just don't spend those big amounts much any more.

After watching the Japanese trailer for the collection, all I could think while watching it was, "I'll play this once then never again.."

Was really hoping they would port over the SI collection to PS4 after reading about all the games on the Switch cart. Then I saw the price and realized I wouldn't even buy it for that price if it were on the PS4. It's a neat collection, and the CEs contain some cool stuff as well. Just too much money for SI games that I can play most of on other platforms. I agree with others that 40 for the vanilla would have been more reasonable.

Skipped out on No Heroes Here as well. Not my cup of tea. Hopefully next month SLG will release something more up my alley for the PS4. I always look forward to their monthly announcements.

Does anyone know how I'd order from NGDEV?
They have gunlord x switch physical and says something about shipping to u.s.
Is there a forwarding service that anybody has used that would be recommended if that's how to go about obtaining this game.

Does anyone know how I'd order from NGDEV?
They have gunlord x switch physical and says something about shipping to u.s.
Is there a forwarding service that anybody has used that would be recommended if that's how to go about obtaining this game.
They ship directly to the US. They are just holding US orders for shipping until shipping clears up with all the Covid delays.

The price of spade invaders is actually closer to $75 once you do currency conversion and include shipping. WAY too much for a retro collection IMO. $40 and I would have bit. I can see all of these games being super cheap on eshop when they get released.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that this is already sold out on SLG. It’s not actually. SLG does two batches. The first always shows sold out because they have a time window for that first batch and once it expires they shut down ordering and then open back up again for the second window. The second one is based on how much stock they have left. If you go there now you will see it’s still available for order and they have 38% of their stock left as of me typing this. So plenty of chances to get this for those that want it.

So I emailed NGDEV about Gunlord X for the Switch and this is the response I received from them[attachment=34241:20200630_185723.jpg]

So I emailed NGDEV about Gunlord X for the Switch and this is the response I received from them
attachicon.gif
20200630_185723.jpg
Weird, I placed my 5/30 order with a US billing and shipping address. They just updated it on 6/15 to say it's in storage due to Covid 19.

Weird, I placed my 5/30 order with a US billing and shipping address. They just updated it on 6/15 to say it's in storage due to Covid 19.
Yep, they have been taking orders from US buyers for a while and said they would ship once Covid restrictions lifted. Maybe they decided it wasn't worth the hassle going forward.

Keep in mind though that the versions sold at Best Buy are a lesser version. For instance Gorogoa doesn't come with the window cutout case and Sayonara Wild Hearts doesn't have interior art and doesn't come with the patch.

bread's done
Back