Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might, but it won't come with all the extras
I have a feeling it will (their other releases generally have) but they're not announcing it yet so they can funnel people toward the more expensive limited edition. But maybe that's my cynicism talking.

I have a feeling it will (their other releases generally have) but they're not announcing it yet so they can funnel people toward the more expensive limited edition. But maybe that's my cynicism talking.
Its definitely the reason they only have the "limited quantity" Hypergun Edition for sale right now.

not willing to spend almost $60 for just the game and that metal piece. the game on eshop only costs $15. i was expecting $30 the most for just the game. $30 on top of that is insane plus their ridiculous shipping charge.

There's an option on the listing page for no *Hypergun extras, so it is likely they will have a wider release.

If their preorder stock isn't sold out by the release date of October 27, there's always the chance that they do a promo for it. The most recent one that comes to mind is Crystal Crisis which they knocked $20 off for with a promo code, but that's been out for a while. Speaking of which, the only known "available" promo code is the one they give for signing up for the newsletter.

edit:*

$75.28 with tax was my total for Ikaruga 😳🤯😱. Somehow i was tricked into thinking it was like limitedrungames where you have to order as soon as it goes on sale or risk missing out.

There's an option on the listing page for no *Hypergun extras, so it is likely they will have a wider release.

If their preorder stock isn't sold out by the release date of October 27, there's always the chance that they do a promo for it. The most recent one that comes to mind is Crystal Crisis which they knocked $20 off for with a promo code, but that's been out for a while. Speaking of which, the only known "available" promo code is the one they give for signing up for the newsletter.

They also put their Switch version of Redout on sale recently for about $15 off, but I think that may have only been on sale for one day.

I'm going to pump the brakes on Ikaruga in hopes of a more reasonably priced retail version. As much as I love the game, over $70 shipped is highway robbery.

Kind of makes me hate Nicalis more after continually holding their Vita releases hostage to the general public, the shit their CEO has done, and now being shady with not giving an answer either way whether Ikaruga will have a wide retail release.

I signed up for the newsletter in February and I don't think I ever got a promo code.

Shakedown Hawaii (WiiU) is now up for order on the VBlank store website.

This may be the last WiiU physical game.

Yeah, I'm usually a sucker for slipcovers/slipcases but the digital soundtrack turned me off. Standard edition ordered!
Ah shit... thought it was a physical OST. I should learn to read... but oh well, $5 more for a slipcase isn't horrible.

It looks to be a decent game. Even if you don't like it, worst case you could trade or sell it. $24.99 seems very fair for a physical release Wii U game.
I more or less meant it's one of those games that's literally been released on every system, just , so it's just another redundant copy of the game for me... then again, all of that is my fault buying stuff like a dumbass.

I thought the covers are the same once the slip cover is off? I ended up buying 2 copies of the special ones to resell down the line.

While on Amazon tonight I noticed a couple possibly future obscure titles on sale right now:

Daymare 1998 (PS4) - $19.99

https://www.amazon.com/CatMan2-Padded-Belt-Small-35/dp/B07XNW88N4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2YA0PT963Z9NZ&dchild=1&keywords=daymare+1998+ps4&qid=1598071235&s=videogames&sprefix=daymare+1998%2Caps%2C321&sr=1-3

This is sold by the publisher GS2 games but fulfilled by Amazon.  Actually, if you look at the publisher's storefront they have a lot of good prices on their games.

Instant Sports Summer Games (Switch) - $24.99

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Sports-Summer-Games-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08BDZJYNY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=instant+sports+summer+games&qid=1598071336&sr=8-1

This just came out last week with an MSRP of $34.99.

Moving Out (Switch) - $24.99

https://www.amazon.com/Moving-Out-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B083XVJDWP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=moving+out&qid=1598071387&sr=8-1

This appears to be sold out at a lot of places including Best Buy. MSRP is $39.99.

While on Amazon tonight I noticed a couple possibly future obscure titles on sale right now:

https://www.amazon.com/CatMan2-Padded-Belt-Small-35/dp/B07XNW88N4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2YA0PT963Z9NZ&dchild=1&keywords=daymare+1998+ps4&qid=1598071235&s=videogames&sprefix=daymare+1998%2Caps%2C321&sr=1-3

This is sold by the publisher GS2 games but fulfilled by Amazon. Actually, if you look at the publisher's storefront they have a lot of good prices on their games.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Sports-Summer-Games-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08BDZJYNY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=instant+sports+summer+games&qid=1598071336&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Moving-Out-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B083XVJDWP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=moving+out&qid=1598071387&sr=8-1

This appears to be sold out at a lot of places including Best Buy. MSRP is $39.99.
Moving Out came out 3 months ago

Moving Out came out 3 months ago
You are correct. The format of my post is a little weird, but I was referring to Instant Sports Summer Games which came out about a week ago.

FYI, only 14 copies of Daymare 1998 left at that price (then it likely goes back to $39.99).

This is sold by the publisher GS2 games but fulfilled by Amazon. Actually, if you look at the publisher's storefront they have a lot of good prices on their games.

Thanks for posting. I was waiting for Daymare at $20. Per your advice, I looked at the GS2 storefront. How can I pass on something named "Hellmutt: The Badass From Hell"?

Not sure if anyone else had any issues with ordering Hotline Miami 1 & 2 from SRG, but that website crashed on me a few times. When it finally went through it somehow added 2 copies of HM2 into my cart. I had not noticed it until I hit Place Order. I then went back in to place the correct order (which wasn't easy as the website kept giving me errors) and hit Place Order. After about 30 seconds of waiting for the transaction to go through it finally did. Contacted SRG shortly after to cancel the initial order and about a minute later they cancelled it and refunded my money. I have to give them props for that as I was really not expecting for that to happen so fast.

Not sure if anyone else had any issues with ordering Hotline Miami 1 & 2 from SRG, but that website crashed on me a few times. When it finally went through it somehow added 2 copies of HM2 into my cart. I had not noticed it until I hit Place Order. I then went back in to place the correct order (which wasn't easy as the website kept giving me errors) and hit Place Order. After about 30 seconds of waiting for the transaction to go through it finally did. Contacted SRG shortly after to cancel the initial order and about a minute later they cancelled it and refunded my money. I have to give them props for that as I was really not expecting for that to happen so fast.
In my experience SRG's customer service has been top notch!

I gave SLG a chance when they had Darius on two disc because I assumed Taito was calling the shots. And it "sort of" made sense (arcade vs console).

But Turrican is clearly their own project, so it was their call to split this ROM collection on two discs.

fuck. THAT. Not buying this one.

Root Double is very good. I played it on PC but the story and characters were engaging. Well worth the money I Kickstarted it for at the time.

These standard retail versions mean the games will available at Target, BB, Walmart etc right not just iam8bit?

Edit: I cant believe Im even considering plunking down for the collector's edition.

Yes, Best Buy seems to be one of the only stores interested in buying stock for some of these limited print run games. I wouldn't expect any iam8bit releases to show up at other major retailers.

The collectors edition for Ori is very attractive, and lives up to the idea of a collectors edition. But it is also prohibitively expensive, which I imagine is part of the point of a proper collector's edition. Deal hunters will likely not be interested. I'm tempted, but will likely wait for the no doubt more reasonably priced standard editions.

bread's done
Back