Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any way to tell if it's the same people?
Still trying to figure that out. Tamashii game developer is Vikintor, where Poop Slinger was Diggity.net (Darth Leanza). If you had asked me yesterday, I would have told you that I was convinced that Limited Rare Games was just a front by Diggity.net... At this point, who the hell knows if it's the same guys, or a copycat company.

I felt bad about not sharing info when Poop Slinger was first released... I honestly didn't think it was legit. Well, here we are again:

http://limitedraregames.com/

Buy at your own risk!!!
The contact me page has:

• An email address using the Croatian word for "help" at limitedraregames.com
  • Latitude/Longitude Coordinates for Dublin
  • A phone number with a Romanian area code
There's also a Facebook page linking to limitedraregames.com based in the Ukraine with 1 like.

The domain info just lists GoDaddy as a proxy, but does note the domain was created February 2019 and last updated April 2020. So it's the same URL/people presumably.

It seems a bit more involved than the Limited Rare Games that sold Poop Slinger, but it's also just as trolly/faux mysterious.

If you really want the game you can pay using PayPal and file a claim if they don't fulfill it, but personally this kind of internet mystery nonsense hasn't appealed to me for the better part of a decade and the game itself doesn't look like it's worth $37 shipped (nor do I want to play the "Ooooo so rare" stock market).

According to Vikintor, Digerati is handling Tamashii's console release. Still no confirmation, but not totally ruled out as a fake just yet:
Sounds like something a spoopy mysterious game dev would say about a spoopy mysterious publisher on Halloween night just to cause confusion. Relatively low risk paying with PayPal I think.

it was briefly up a few minutes ago but the shipping was changed to $100.00. I'm like WTF.
I know shipping was defaulted to a country in the middle east or something, which initially showed a ridiculous price. Make sure to change the country to double check shipping costs, assuming the website goes live again. Shipping for me was $6.99 to the U.S.

I know shipping was defaulted to a country in the middle east or something, which initially showed a ridiculous price. Make sure to change the country to double check shipping costs, assuming the website goes live again. Shipping for me was $6.99 to the U.S.
Thanks, I did the shipping calculation and it changed to $6.99 so that was better. Placed an order. Website is up right now (they seem to take it down every so often).

The game looks to at least be better than Poop Slinger I hope.

Of course this goes up the one day I don't check this thread!

I really enjoyed playing through Tamashii on Switch so I definitely would've grabbed a physical copy for PS4...oh well.

Their order numbers do not reflect quantity. The order nunbers are cumulative of all their orders.
I would agree that it's not reflective, as mine was 478 at 2:30pm PST. With that being said, I'm not sure if it's cumulative orders. I'm assuming they just arbitrarily set the starting number at 400 or something.

On a side note, they are using a different PayPal account as well. Poop Slinger was ordered through [email protected], where Tamashii was through [email protected]. While we still don't have confirmation that it's the same people behind the original Limited Rare Games, I think the confirmation from Digerati and similarities with their website and troll-like behavior are indication that it's likely the same.

They confirmed selling more than 90 copies... who knows what the final count was:

https://twitter.com/ltdraregames/status/1322787162970992640?s=21

At one point, they posted a direct PayPal link while their site was down as well. I'm pretty sure the site went live around noon PST, and they pulled the plug after ~12 hours, with intermittent outages in between.
Yep, based on posts on other groups, I suspect they sold hundreds and hundreds of copies. Assuming it is the same people behind Poop Slinger, I would be worried if I was someone that ordered multiples given what happened with that.

Yep, based on posts on other groups, I suspect they sold hundreds and hundreds of copies. Assuming it is the same people behind Poop Slinger, I would be worried if I was someone that ordered multiples given what happened with that.
What were the previous issues with people that ordered multiple copies of Poop Slinger?

Some of them got none or only one and then had trouble getting a refund through Paypal. On the other hand, some people that bought one received two copies.
Interesting... From my experience, if there's any issues, PayPal usually comes through. I was able to get a full refund for my order with Warned Collectors Games without issue. As long as you submit the dispute within 180 days (6 months), you should be covered.

Interesting... From my experience, if there's any issues, PayPal usually comes through. I was able to get a full refund for my order with Warned Collectors Games without issue. As long as you submit the dispute within 180 days (6 months), you should be covered.
Sure, but who knows how long it will be before they ship, if at all.

I would agree that it's not reflective, as mine was 478 at 2:30pm PST. With that being said, I'm not sure if it's cumulative orders. I'm assuming they just arbitrarily set the starting number at 400 or something.
On a side note, they are using a different PayPal account as well. Poop Slinger was ordered through [email protected], where Tamashii was through [email protected]. While we still don't have confirmation that it's the same people behind the original Limited Rare Games, I think the confirmation from Digerati and similarities with their website and troll-like behavior are indication that it's likely the same.
They had previously had some test items on the site for $0, at the least the order numbers on this started at Almost order no 400

I skipped MRB, didnt like the looks or gameplay and this looks the same to me in those reguards, Easy Skip!

For anyone that's interested the game Mozarts Requiem is part of the cyber Monday deals at Best Buy. Its a preorder coming out 1/26/21. Its normally $50, but is $20 on sale. With shipping & tax it cost me $25.

^PS4 version for anyone wondering.

From what I could gather, here are a couple things I noticed:

-there are absolutely 0 reviews for this game anywhere or decent trailers.
-from the videos I saw, it's a point and click adventure game, so not sure how intuitive that is going to be on the PS4.
-can't speak on the story or how fun it looks, because again, there are no videos that showcases any of these aspects in good detail.
-the graphics look extremely outdated for a game being released in 2020. Like maybe 90's level bad, and how someone thought this was pretty good, then slapped a $50 msrp on it is probably a terrible practical joke bad.

Strictly limited snuck out some stuff today. Gryphon Knight switch and a couple others.

For anyone that's interested the game Mozarts Requiem is part of the cyber Monday deals at Best Buy. Its a preorder coming out 1/26/21. Its normally $50, but is $20 on sale. With shipping & tax it cost me $25.
Yeah I threw a preorder down too. Its easy enough to cancel if it looks like the game is not even going to give you $20 of playtime.

I believe Amazon may have price matched it if people wanted to preorder there.

bread's done
Back