Individual Post Ratings

fwacce

CAGiversary!
Is it possible to get something like this? Something like what FW has? As much as I don't care for FW, that is a good feature. It allows users to vote down a post and if you have your settings at a certain level you won't see the post. Kinda allows members to help the mods by 'hiding' flagrant posts. Users would always have the option of setting their threshold to show all posts regardless of rating, so it shouldn't hinder anyone from viewing any posts they want to, but it would allow people who want a friendlier and cleaner experience to only view higher rated posts.

[quote name='CheapyD']Funny, I was just thinking of this yesterday when reading www.digg.com

Are you talking about threads or posts within a thread (or both)?[/QUOTE]

I think both would be a good idea. I was thinking of posts, but threads is a good idea too, especially in the top deals forum.

Allakhazam uses a system like this, and I really don't think it helps. It just causes people to post to protect their rating instead of posting what they really want to say. Trolls camp user ratings and mess things up even more... it really is a crappy system.

[quote name='Diiz']Allakhazam uses a system like this, and I really don't think it helps. It just causes people to post to protect their rating instead of posting what they really want to say. Trolls camp user ratings and mess things up even more... it really is a crappy system.[/QUOTE]

The way FW works though it no one has an individual rating. Only posts and threads have ratings. The purpose is that you can set a threshold in your settings so you can only see posts rated above a certain level. It just makes it an overall cleaner experience for those who want to set their settings as such. Also, not everyone has rating power on FW. I don't know the algorithm they use, but you can't just go around bombing posts if you're a troll. You're vote won't count. Of course, FW won't share how they calculate the voting power, so you'd have to figure a way to do it here. I just think that as CAG gets bigger, this is something that would be more and more useful.

[quote name='fwacce']The way FW works though it no one has an individual rating. Only posts and threads have ratings. The purpose is that you can set a threshold in your settings so you can only see posts rated above a certain level. It just makes it an overall cleaner experience for those who want to set their settings as such. Also, not everyone has rating power on FW. I don't know the algorithm they use, but you can't just go around bombing posts if you're a troll. You're vote won't count. Of course, FW won't share how they calculate the voting power, so you'd have to figure a way to do it here. I just think that as CAG gets bigger, this is something that would be more and more useful.[/QUOTE]
Eh, I think it won't matter...just like the ignore system, there will be an insatiable need to see what one's missing. Only the most anal or perpetually annoyed will set their filter to anything above 'off' IMHO.

bread's done
Back