Inexpensive Gaming PC

Musichead13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My PC is about 6 years old and I would like to update to something that can handle new games. I would like to get one as cheap as possible. I'm looking to play games as World of Warcraft and new RTS and FPS titles. How much do I have to spend to get somethingthat can handle newer games? I saw some decent looking deals on ebay for homemade computers. The sellers generally have good reviews. Has anyone had luck with this?

Would you consider building your own PC? If so, you could build a pretty decent PC for under $500 that would handle MOST new games. If not, you could try sites like ecollegepc.com that will build a PC for you while you just choose the parts.

And I haven't had any experience buying PCs on eBay, but I personally wouldn't. Because of shipping and lack of customer service.

I was considering building my own but I've never done it before so I don't know if I'd want to go that route. Even though it seems simple enough, I could see it turning into one big headache.

Same here. sellout.woot.com had an awesome deal 2 days ago, I wish there was a way to see their old deals, and if they had any left. I know woot.com wont allow you to do it, but I thought sellout.woot.com could, since it was powered by yahoo. If anyone knows, let me know!

[quote name='Musichead13'] I saw some decent looking deals on ebay for homemade computers. The sellers generally have good reviews. Has anyone had luck with this?[/quote]

No. Just no.

DO NOT BUY ON EBAY. Now that that is out of the way I suggest going to CyberPowerPC.com if you really don't want to build your own, they have fairly good PCs for relativly cheap prices. Or if you have a custom computer store in your area they can help you put together your own for just as cheap. I might be lucky with the store in my area but that's what I recommend. You get the joy of building your own computer and having professionals looking over your back to make sure your doing it right.

I definately would not go the ebay route. I've been building computers for 15 years and it's not really all that hard. If you want you can shoot me a PM and I can help you with what components to buy and some build help if you need it.

Buy the parts off of Newegg and assemble it at home.

If you know how to use a screw driver and have the common sense not to rub the motherboard against your brand new wool sweater, it's an incredibly simple process even for beginners. I just built one six months ago for the first time, and using only one web tutorial, I put together a grand worth of equipment.

As for the PC itself, a grand will build you a high end rig that will run Crysis easily. 500 will get you a mid range one great for WoW and the such.

[quote name='Musichead13']What games are you playing on there? At that price point, you can't go wrong.[/quote]

It plays Left for Dead with no problems.

[quote name='spydey']It plays Left for Dead with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Source games are not graphics card intensive, and more processor intensive. You have an integrated graphics card, but a 2.7 dual core processor. I'm sure it'll run things mid-range fine, but you'll probably be looking to upgrade sooner rather than later.

[quote name='k1w1']Buy the parts off of Newegg and assemble it at home.

If you know how to use a screw driver and have the common sense not to rub the motherboard against your brand new wool sweater, it's an incredibly simple process even for beginners. I just built one six months ago for the first time, and using only one web tutorial, I put together a grand worth of equipment.[/quote]
This is very true, the actual installation is not difficult at all. There's only one slot that can only be inserted one way when you're putting stuff together. The harder part is deciding upon what to put in and then dealing with software hiccups afterward.

For components, the last few systems I've built have been based off of one of these:
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200809.ars

If you are confident about assembling your own computer, TomsHardware did a series of articles last month detailing the parts for building good gaming computers at three price points: $650, $1250, and $2500. Some of these prices have already fallen slightly since then.

The articles include full build lists, including brands, and the master article I'm linking to includes a comparison between them to show how much bang for your buck you will get.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-overclock,2117.html

Just wanted to pop in here and say that with the computer that I built above I am able to play just about everything with max settings in 1080p on my 56" T.V. its amazing :) it cost me $800 and you could easily bring it down to $700 mixing and matching some parts.

Gavin.

whats the diff. between Intel Pentium processors and AMD athalon processors like the one from provantage??

What shoudl the buyer be wary off? I donno if im correct, but it seems AMD comps tend to be cheaper than intel processor comps.

It really goes back and forth some years one is better then the other, but your right amd is generally cheaper. A good place to compare processors is a place like tomshardware.com

bread's done
Back