Infinity Ward removes Modern Warfare 2 video because of homosexual slur

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Take your pick - most of the gaming sites have covered the story now, but I haven't seen a thread on it here. Given the attention the other MW2 thread is getting, I thought this would be worth some discussion.

http://kotaku.com/5394595/infinity-ward-removes-modern-warfare-2-$$$s-video
http://www.destructoid.com/infinity-ward-pulls-mw2-hamels-video-after-internet-furor-153731.phtml
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/01/infinity-ward-pulls-fight-against-grenade-spam-ad-in-light-of/

Joystiq's article:

After having their game leaked to the planet's pirating populace and catching flack for some of the controversial secrets revealed therein, one could say that the folks at Infinity Ward are having a fairly rough week. However, they brought their latest batch of hardships upon themselves. A recent viral video for Modern Warfare 2, which featured Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels delivering a PSA (video NSFW) about overzealous grenade use, drew the ire of many of its viewers.

This wasn't due to the light swearing featured in the video, but rather, because of the name of the PSA's sponsor: Fight Against Grenade Spam, which, when acronym-ized, spells out an offensive slur. Following the inevitable backlash which occurred when the gaming community realized the slur's inclusion, Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling responded by Tweeting, "I think the core gag is great, the end is a bit too far from the intent of the joke & can appreciate the concerns. Pulled." True to his word, the video was soon yanked from the developer's YouTube channel.

The complaints from those who viewed the offending ad were two-fold: First, they didn't like that the slur (even in its spelled-out state) was used at all. However, the bigger complaint seemed to be that Infinity Ward was catering to the sensibilities of the foul, hateful underbelly of the online gaming community.

If you want to see the video in question, it's all over YouTube.

Now, for the opinion part. I don't like the video, but I've got a bigger problem with the reaction to it.

I don't like the fact that Infinity Ward released the video in the first place. It's probably safe to assume that multiple people were involved in making and releasing the video, which means that either nobody had a problem with it, or (worse) somebody objected and was overruled. The game is already guaranteed to sell millions of copies; there's no need to stoop to this to try and garner more publicity.

The slur doesn't add anything to the video. It isn't funny, it isn't clever, and it's definitely doesn't offer any kind of political or social commentary to justify its inclusion. It literally appears out of nowhere at the end of the video in an attempt to get a cheap laugh. This is the equivalent of a ten year old shouting a swear word and then laughing hysterically at himself. They're also one letter away from having a joke but removing the slur - as Kotaku pointed out, if you throw the word "relentlessly" in there, you get F.R.A.G.S, which fits and has the bonus of not being offensive.

The biggest problem I've had, though, is with the online reaction - there's a depressingly high number of people on all three sites trying to defend Infinity Ward. The people justifying the video aren't exactly great at debating - the arguments I've seen range from "stop being so politically correct," "humor is meant to be offensive," and the good old fashioned "grow a pair." Those aren't exactly nuanced arguments, and I don't think I've seen anybody acknowledge that what might not offend them is offensive to a significant portion of the American public...and yes, of other gamers.

The word choice may play into it as well. If the acronym spelled out the n-word or another slur, people would be up in arms and this would be all over CNN and the other news channels. That's not the case, though - they used a word that's a slur against gay people, and it seems like there are more people defending Infinity Ward than are disgusted or bothered at all by this. Why are those scenarios different? Why is this acceptable to so many people?

Right now, it almost seems that Infinity Ward and Activision are trying to do everything they possibly can to destroy this game's sales. Between this, the terrorism level, and the removal of dedicated servers from the PC version, my opinion of the game has soured a lot in the last month.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The biggest problem I've had, though, is with the online reaction - there's a depressingly high number of people on all three sites trying to defend Infinity Ward. The people justifying the video aren't exactly great at debating - the arguments I've seen range from "stop being so politically correct," "humor is meant to be offensive," and the good old fashioned "grow a pair." Those aren't exactly nuanced arguments, and I don't think I've seen anybody acknowledge that what might not offend them is offensive to a significant portion of the American public...and yes, of other gamers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing up this part. I think your thread reaction will bear out exactly what you describe above. And that will be straight white teenage males defending this kind of humor.

Just the other day on CAG a thread appeared about a kid getting arrested for hitting his mother, who was sweeping the carpet near his console while he was playing. In a few hours it turned into a series of sickeningly racist stereotypes and banter.

This won't be any different. If you're a straight white male, it's your duty to make sure that you get on the internet and criticize and belittle anyone and everyone who is slightly different from you. And if someone dares to try to tell you that you're offensive, you can choose to either go right after attacking them, or simply wash it off by claiming you were joking.

Internet ad nasueum.

You can't get mad if the game is going to be totally fucking sweet, Gothic. Everyone knows that. I mean, it's going to be a fucking Awesome Game, amirite?

[quote name='mykevermin']
This won't be any different. If you're a straight white male, it's your duty to make sure that you get on the internet and criticize and belittle anyone and everyone who is slightly different from you. And if someone dares to try to tell you that you're offensive, you can choose to either go right after attacking them, or simply wash it off by claiming you were joking.
[/QUOTE]

Right, because straight white males are the only people in this world that can be bigots... :roll:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Right, because straight white males are the only people in this world that can be bigots... :roll:[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been called a pussy-pounding breeder on XBL?

I know plenty of people that use that word and the ones that use it the most are usually teenage girls. It's not just a white thing, it's a fairly popular word that most younger people use.

And I'll admit it, I use it from time to time, but it's mostly because I don't believe words themselves can be bad. People use the word hick all the time and don't think about it, why should they think about using the word in question?

I guess because when it's used it's generally meant to be a slur or a way to say something sucks, but why does gay have to be the only synonym for that word? Can't bad be one, too?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The biggest problem I've had, though, is with the online reaction - there's a depressingly high number of people on all three sites trying to defend Infinity Ward. The people justifying the video aren't exactly great at debating - the arguments I've seen range from "stop being so politically correct," "humor is meant to be offensive," and the good old fashioned "grow a pair." Those aren't exactly nuanced arguments, and I don't think I've seen anybody acknowledge that what might not offend them is offensive to a significant portion of the American public...and yes, of other gamers.

The word choice may play into it as well. If the acronym spelled out the n-word or another slur, people would be up in arms and this would be all over CNN and the other news channels. That's not the case, though - they used a word that's a slur against gay people, and it seems like there are more people defending Infinity Ward than are disgusted or bothered at all by this. Why are those scenarios different? Why is this acceptable to so many people?[/QUOTE]
I'm saddened, yet not surprised. This situation reminds me of the comments on this Game|Life post. Anyway, I think what this mainly proves is that as a society, we still have a ways to go as far as empathy with GLBT people goes.

[quote name='mykevermin']Have you ever been called a pussy-pounding breeder on XBL?[/QUOTE]It would be awesome if people started doing this :lol:

I think there's empathy out there for the GLBT community, just like there is for the black and asian communities.

Words stick around, though. The N word is still around, the F word will stick around. It'll probably always be used in the same contexts, too.

I'm starting to get a little worried about MW2. IW seems like they're going for the shock factor when they didn't really need to. I'm sure the game will be freakin' awesome, though.. but stuff like this isn't necessary.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm starting to get a little worried about MW2. IW seems like they're going for the shock factor when they didn't really need to. I'm sure the game will be freakin' awesome, though.. but stuff like this isn't necessary.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if it's them going for shock factor, I think the original bit with that leaked was just somewhere the story went and I'm sure it will be a phenomenal high-tension gaming moment.

This was meant to be funny to a target demographic of people, and of course, some people didn't think it was funny.

The press is who's going to make it seem like they're just doing all that's unneccessary.

opisa$$$.png
OP is a grenade spammer
opisa$$$.png

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The slur doesn't add anything to the video. It isn't funny, it isn't clever, and it's definitely doesn't offer any kind of political or social commentary to justify its inclusion.[/QUOTE]
That's the impression I got as it seemed like a poor attempt at reworking a joke from Team America (Film Actors Guild) for their video that makes no sense when watching the video and shows that they suck at crude comedy compared to Matt Stone and Trey Parker. They could've used any other title and been just fine, but at least Robert Bowling acknowledged that and removed it.

Has IW ever been known to do these kinds of joke videos before? It just seems like an unusual thing for them to do from what I've seen leading up to the release of the first Modern Warfare and the sequel.

The most shocking thing to me is that there is someone working at Infinity Ward and/or Activision that approved this. Was there really any other possible outcome from releasing this thing? What an incredible lack or foresight and common sense! People get fired over shit like this.

[quote name='CheapyD']The most shocking thing to me is that there is someone working at Infinity Ward and/or Activision that approved this. Was there really any other possible outcome from releasing this thing? What an incredible lack or foresight and common sense! People get fired over shit like this.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they knew and figured they could get a nice bit of press and buzz going on . Then just pull it and say sorry after everyone is talking. What is the saying? "There is no such thing as bad press!"

We can't know for sure who knew what or who cleared what knowingly or not. That is what bothers me the most. I am really sick these kind of things being done for press.

1. "Leak" scandalous gameplay video. Release "controversial" ad.
2. Get free advertising campaign from media shitstorm.
3. ??????
4. Profit.

Also, ah yes the great gay race.

[quote name='crystalklear64']1. "Leak" scandalous gameplay video. Release "controversial" ad.
3. ??????
4. Profit.

Also, ah yes the great gay race.[/QUOTE]

Only thing is WM2 is going to be the best selling game of the year with out without this. I can see some lesser known games doing this but IW doesnt need this.

I mean did no one at IW heard of Larry Johnson? I mean the guy just got suspended for using the same word.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I know plenty of people that use that word and the ones that use it the most are usually teenage girls. It's not just a white thing, it's a fairly popular word that most younger people use.

And I'll admit it, I use it from time to time, but it's mostly because I don't believe words themselves can be bad. People use the word hick all the time and don't think about it, why should they think about using the word in question?

I guess because when it's used it's generally meant to be a slur or a way to say something sucks, but why does gay have to be the only synonym for that word? Can't bad be one, too?[/QUOTE]

You can use the word and intend it to mean "bad," but then it comes down to interpretation. No matter what you meant, your audience has every right to assume you meant the slur, especially since assuming it means "bad" usually doesn't give enough context to differentiate between the two.

If you want to say bad, why not just say bad? For "bad" meaning "poor quality," Reference.com lists almost 50 synonyms, and leaves plenty off the list, including slightly more vulgar (but more commonly accepted) words like "crap" or "shit." Why not use one of those words if you don't want to say bad? Why automatically jump to the one that's also a slur?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Words stick around, though. The N word is still around, the F word will stick around. It'll probably always be used in the same contexts, too.[/QUOTE]

Language is a living thing, and it changes over time. While I agree that it (unfortunately) won't be vanishing anytime soon, if people stop using the word then it vanishes from common dialect.

[quote name='crystalklear64']1. "Leak" scandalous gameplay video. Release "controversial" ad.
3. ??????
4. Profit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how much this will benefit them in the end; as 62t said, the game is already guaranteed to sell well and has received a ton of media coverage. They didn't need to do this, but did so any way.

It's not pleasant to think that they did authorize this for cheap media attention. If that was the thought process here (and who knows what Infinity Ward was thinking), the worst part is that they realized they'd probably get away with it with a quick, "sincere" apology.

Isn't Robert Bowling the same lunkhead I read somewhere last week that wanted the developer to be in charge of marketing? What an idiot. Not that regular marketers are much brighter. Maybe he can go market someone else out of a job...hopefully.
To the person that mentioned it being only or mostly straight white males acting like dipshits about this... I don't know how you don't see the shit ton of homophobia from everyone regardless of color.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']You can use the word and intend it to mean "bad," but then it comes down to interpretation. No matter what you meant, your audience has every right to assume you meant the slur, especially since assuming it means "bad" usually doesn't give enough context to differentiate between the two.

If you want to say bad, why not just say bad? For "bad" meaning "poor quality," Reference.com lists almost 50 synonyms, and leaves plenty off the list, including slightly more vulgar (but more commonly accepted) words like "crap" or "shit." Why not use one of those words if you don't want to say bad? Why automatically jump to the one that's also a slur?

Language is a living thing, and it changes over time. While I agree that it (unfortunately) won't be vanishing anytime soon, if people stop using the word then it vanishes from common dialect.
[/QUOTE]
You're right, it does all come down to your audience's interpretation, and with an fps that's as popular as this, it is quite obvious that they meant the slur because it was funny. They should have explained perhaps in the video a little more. Or outright not made it traceable back to them.

That's the thing though, I really don't see people stopping using the word anytime soon. I could see it lasting like the N word.

Also, I just realized something funny..

Gay=Happy, but F*g=Bad.

I never really wondered until tonight who started using it as a synonym for bad.

Come on, like this is even a big deal. MW2 is indeed an "M" rated game, and as such is pretty much a warning right there that there may be some things that aren't exactly fit for pre-schoolers. As if something like that is even a problem. Granted, Infinity Ward could have not released the video, but personally I think it has some humor within it.

There are multiple words thrown around in everyday living in everyday surroundings worse then that. The F-bomb, S-bomb, D-bomb, come on guys....we hear those on a daily basis, yet when a gaming company promoting an M rated game shows a little humor with the the acronym in question we all go crazy about it. I don't think Infinity Ward should be punished or jumped on for this kind of thing, thats what leads to bland and over-cautious games/promotions.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']There are multiple words thrown around in everyday living in everyday surroundings worse then that. The F-bomb, S-bomb, D-bomb, come on guys....[/QUOTE]

wtf is the d-bomb? Damn? And is shit technically a bomb? fuck is the really "bad" word that gets a "bomb" as far as I've heard it, shit is next in line, damn, bitch, etc. are too common to even get censored most of the time.

And really, you equate those with this? fuck is a "worse" word?

[quote name='SpazX']wtf is the d-bomb? Damn? And is shit technically a bomb? fuck is the really "bad" word that gets a "bomb" as far as I've heard it, shit is next in line, damn, bitch, etc. are too common to even get censored most of the time.

And really, you equate those with this? fuck is a "worse" word?[/QUOTE]

Lets just say the D-bomb is a certain male part, that is often censored.

And since you care so much, how about the S-cherry bomb? That's not the point anyway. The point is, why is F.A.G.S. such a terrible, horrible, eye-burning thing that people are trying to burn Infinity Ward for it?

Why does everything have to be so politically correct? Why can't a person or company do something like this? Because they don't do it all the time? Why don't people raise such a huge fuss about Rockstar anymore? Because they do it all the time, they always do "controversial" things.

Inifinity Ward has nothing to be ashamed about, and they should not be attacked for trying to spice things up. I doubt everyone acts like the Pope in their everyday lives.

Even the nicest or most restrained people say "bad" words everyday. Since when did the word in question become so terrifying? Like I said, everyone has said a "bad" word before, often multiple times per day.

Why is the word in question any worse then anything else even kids hear around their environment?

I think what you fail to realize is that vulgar language is not the same thing as language that demeans an identifiable category of people.

I use foul language all day. I'm a grown adult and I curse like an 8-year old that just discovered the joys of saying "shit" for the first time ever. Ask Strell, we've talked before.

I do not use words like f-g, cocksucker, pussy, or retard. I don't call things "gay." First off, I have more self-respect and dignity than to have to use words that are so overused so as to bore me to tears by their use, and I have more self-respect and dignity than to offend people who have no bearing in a video game.

Is it a big deal to you? No. You don't get it. Another straight male with a myopic point of view who doesn't know what it's like to be offended by virtue of his sexuality or gender, stepping up to defend the use of language that offends people based on their sexuality and gender.

If I had a secretary, I'd ask him to file your opinion in the "no shit" cabinet.

It's hate speech in general.... rightfullly kept in the dark.

as soon as one degrades another based on age, sex, color... it's hate. Hate is bad.

There's plenty of words they could have used.

And it's been hate for ages... I watched an ancient 80s slasher that used the words Homo and queerbag... laughed but it was pretty offensive either way and I wouldn't, nor should anyone feel good about saying it.

as for the rest of the words... F-bombs, S-bombs and D-bombs are miles above better than "frags"....

The biggest problem I've had, though, is with the online reaction - there's a depressingly high number of people on all three sites trying to defend Infinity Ward. The people justifying the video aren't exactly great at debating - the arguments I've seen range from "stop being so politically correct," "humor is meant to be offensive," and the good old fashioned "grow a pair." Those aren't exactly nuanced arguments, and I don't think I've seen anybody acknowledge that what might not offend them is offensive to a significant portion of the American public...and yes, of other gamers.

Welcome to gaming's most abundant message board user-- the manchild.

Again I ask - you equate those? You equate $$$ with shit? Do you also equate ethnic slurs with everyday bad language like shit and fuck? Do you not see any difference?

[quote name='mykevermin']Ask Strell, we've talked before.[/QUOTE]

This is true. He once called me at 4 AM just to tell me the weather was "cuntankerous" and that the Yankees were a bunch of "twatpunchers." He spelled out each word even.

I hung up the phone.

IW is trying really hard to ruin my favorite FPS franchise... they just needed to keep their mouths closed and just release the damn game. There is no reason for this 500 ads I see everywhere and constant media attention/media whoring. Agh.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']You're right, it does all come down to your audience's interpretation, and with an fps that's as popular as this, it is quite obvious that they meant the slur because it was funny.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Come on, like this is even a big deal. MW2 is indeed an "M" rated game, and as such is pretty much a warning right there that there may be some things that aren't exactly fit for pre-schoolers. As if something like that is even a problem. Granted, Infinity Ward could have not released the video, but personally I think it has some humor within it.[/QUOTE]

Explain to me what's so funny about the video, or more specifically its use of the slur. Please.

This is the equivalent of me walking into a room, yelling "fuck!" and running out the door. That's not funny, unless you're ten. Even then, it'd be questionable.

I "get" offensive humor. I was on staff for my college's equivalent to The Onion, and we ripped into everything under the sun. I can't even begin to imagine how many people our little paper offended over the years. Thousands of students, easily. During my time there, our athletic department tried to get our funding yanked, and our law school tried to exert control over what we could publish. Since we're talking about one of the biggest athletic departments in the country and a top ten law school going after a small student publication, those were both big deals.

But there were lines we never crossed. One of them was the gratuitous use of slurs. Satire was one thing, but deliberately trying to draw the ire of a minority group on campus was both a bad idea, and something we never even thought about. As a student publication with complete editorial control, we could print "fuck" and "shit" all we wanted - why bother to break out the slurs? They aren't necessary, they don't add anything to the articles, and despite what you and the rest of the internet seem to believe, there's nothing inherently funny about those words. For a lot of people, it's the exact opposite - any humor that might have been there vanishes as soon as you begin using language like that, language designed to disparage an ethnic group or sexual orientation.

I'm just not seeing the humor here.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think what you fail to realize is that vulgar language is not the same thing as language that demeans an identifiable category of people.

I use foul language all day. I'm a grown adult and I curse like an 8-year old that just discovered the joys of saying "shit" for the first time ever. Ask Strell, we've talked before.

I do not use words like f-g, cocksucker, pussy, or retard. I don't call things "gay." First off, I have more self-respect and dignity than to have to use words that are so overused so as to bore me to tears by their use, and I have more self-respect and dignity than to offend people who have no bearing in a video game.

Is it a big deal to you? No. You don't get it. Another straight male with a myopic point of view who doesn't know what it's like to be offended by virtue of his sexuality or gender, stepping up to defend the use of language that offends people based on their sexuality and gender.

If I had a secretary, I'd ask him to file your opinion in the "no shit" cabinet.[/QUOTE]

But honestly, how much does the word f...g really offend the gay community? I can't say for sure, and maybe you are correct about me not really thinking much of this because I am a straight male, but I just don't think this is as much of a shocking thing as people are making it out to be.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']But honestly, how much does the word f...g really offend the gay community? I can't say for sure, and maybe you are correct about me not really thinking much of this because I am a straight male, but I just don't think this is as much of a shocking thing as people are making it out to be.[/QUOTE]
That's kind of my point:drool:

Really this was taken down due to homophobia...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']But honestly, how much does the word f...g really offend the gay community? I can't say for sure, and maybe you are correct about me not really thinking much of this because I am a straight male, but I just don't think this is as much of a shocking thing as people are making it out to be.[/QUOTE]

But that's not the point.

The point is why would they do it in the first place? This is Call of Duty, not Grand Theft Auto.

IW needs to stay true to it's identity. These marketing ploys to get more coverage are pathetic and unnecessary.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Explain to me what's so funny about the video, or more specifically its use of the slur. Please.

This is the equivalent of me walking into a room, yelling "fuck!" and running out the door. That's not funny, unless you're ten. Even then, it'd be questionable.

I "get" offensive humor. I was on staff for my college's equivalent to The Onion, and we ripped into everything under the sun. I can't even begin to imagine how many people our little paper offended over the years. Thousands of students, easily. During my time there, our athletic department tried to get our funding yanked, and our law school tried to exert control over what we could publish. Since we're talking about one of the biggest athletic departments in the country and a top ten law school going after a small student publication, those were both big deals.

But there were lines we never crossed. One of them was the gratuitous use of slurs. Satire was one thing, but deliberately trying to draw the ire of a minority group on campus was both a bad idea, and something we never even thought about. As a student publication with complete editorial control, we could print "fuck" and "shit" all we wanted - why bother to break out the slurs? They aren't necessary, they don't add anything to the articles, and despite what you and the rest of the internet seem to believe, there's nothing inherently funny about those words. For a lot of people, it's the exact opposite - any humor that might have been there vanishes as soon as you begin using language like that, language designed to disparage an ethnic group or sexual orientation.

I'm just not seeing the humor here.[/QUOTE] It's hard for me to explain how the word is funny, it just kind of is in a juvenile sort of way, I guess. I still haven't seen the vid and I don't think most uses of the word are funny, but it's just what it was meant to be in the video I'm sure. I don't think there would be any other reason for the acronym to be that except so some acned teen could point out, "Lawl, teh gays!"

There are people that like lowbrow humor, a lot of them. And slurs are what get them chuckles.

I completely agree with you. I have gay friends and I called one a while ago to tell him about it and he didn't give a crap. I don't see how it's a big deal, probably because I'm straight, yeah, but even if I were gay I don't think I'd be all broken up about this.

I'm more just wondering why they put it in the ad.

Sticks and stones.

Its a M rated game.

Get over it.

I didnt find it very funny at all. The whole video.
Only that it was voiced by a philly pitcher and their in the World Series made me watch it.
F.A.G.S at the end wasnt funny or offensive to me. If it offended you dont buy the game.
I would also say dont subscribe to HBO and watch some of their great comedy standup shows either if your offended by such language.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']But honestly, how much does the word f...g really offend the gay community?[/QUOTE]

If you don't know, you shouldn't be declaring its use inoffensive, ok? How's that for your answer?

If you'll give me a few minutes I'll get the gay community on the phone. They should be able to clarify this whole thing shortly.

Am I missing something? Nowhere did I see the term $$$ in the video. People watching or posting the video just labeled it with that acronym. IW never used it. I thought it was hilarious myself, but people are blowing this way out of proportion.

I can't believe IW ever released this video in the first place.

I think everyone who has played enough Xbox Live has been called this and other slurs. This type of language is one of the biggest turnoffs to playing on Live, and here IW seems to be encouraging this type of language/behaviour.

Now everyone who throws a grenade is going to be called a $$$ with IW's blessing.

While I personally am not offended by inflammatory language, and use plenty of it myself in certain company, I can empathize with my fellow humans and understand that many would be offended by this.

I just don't think it's a good idea for IW to promote this type play behaviour for whats going to be the biggest, most played game on Live this and next year.

On a lighter note, I'm also offended by the idea that throwing grenades across the map is 'spamming'. When a round starts, I rush the other team and heave a grenade to where I expect the other team to be, and often get a kill doing this. I learned this from years of playing Counter-Strike. What seems like random grenade spam is actually a well placed throw on my part, even if I can't see the enemy and they are on the other side of the map, I know they are there.

I'm not offended by the homophobic slur, I'm offended by the premise behind it!

[quote name='vilhaim']Am I missing something? Nowhere did I see the term $$$ in the video. People watching or posting the video just labeled it with that acronym. IW never used it. I thought it was hilarious myself, but people are blowing this way out of proportion.[/QUOTE]

This right here, a group of people wanting attention is all I see. No wonder so many people are considered "gay bashers", they bring it upon themselves when they do crap like this. I personally don't take issue with the gay/lesbian groups but it just seems like they go overboard on some very questionable stuff. Then the self righteous heterosexual white people jump in and now its wrong. Only in America.

How did infinity ward never use it? Do you think "Fight Against Grenade Spam" is accidental? It's not a very good group name for a PSA or whatever, it seems forced to get the acronym. "People Against Grenade Spam" or "Citizens Against Grenade Spam" maybe "Gamers Against Grenade Spam" would be a less forced name.

Certainly infinity ward are not the ones who wanted attention though, they just used a lot of money to get some semi-famous dude to make a fake PSA to advertise their video game. It's the people against it who want attention.

bread's done
Back